SBC vs cheap PC for emulation

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on an odroid xu4 since they are only $50. Is it good enough to run ORA on and emulate? I understand a PC would be better, but $50 is really cheap. What is your setup and how much?

Attached: xu4_no_fan_x700.jpg (500x433, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/132921749051
pcengines.ch/alix.htm
odroidarena.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Go raspberry pie for low end emulation due to better software. Go cheap PC if you want performance.

XU4 can run a good bunch of emulators, yes. Youtube and stuff has reviews.

A Rock64Pro should be faster, though.

The RPi doesn't have appreciably better software, it just has noticeably worse hardware for emulation / "desktop" or even NAS use.

If you dont have any problem with properitary botnets then nvidia shield should be your best bet. It's a beast at emulation.

All those have pretty shit GPU drivers. Either go with novideo or just get an old PC.

> All those have pretty shit GPU drivers.
Eh, the XU4's GPU has been working normally on the various "standard" SBC distros for years now. You can also see it with game emulation speed, it's one of the faster

Get an old 1366 mobo for ~$20. Then add in $10 Xeon 6 core CPU. Then get 8 GB DDR3 ram for ~$30. Add in $30 PSU. $50 modern Video Card. $40 240 GB SSD(or 2-3 TB HDD).

It would be a beast machine that competes with Ryzen for ~$200.

Only thing missing now is key/mouse/monitor/speakers.

To me, this sounds about as realistic as just getting a 10 EUR modern Ryzen gaming PC directly.

>ebay.com/itm/132921749051
~$60 total with shipping, stronger emulation than any odroid bullshit.

What's unrealistic? Westermere cpu compete with Ryzen pretty nicely maybe ~10% weaker cpu due to lower clocks from Xeon.

This isn't a 6 core Xeon, doesn't have 8GB DDR, has no modern video card, [...]

Never mind that the shipping costs alone are $150, far more than the Odroid.

The XU4 has a legendary story behind how bad the 2d portion of the GPU driver is. If you try to use the desktop you will see it first hand.

It is mostly fine at emulating up to n64, but if space is not a concern a used optiplexor thinkcentre off ebay is cheaper (after accessories), faster and actually even quieter depending on the XU4 case.

So you live in either a third world country or some something far away from the shipper. Just look at your local listing. Its not that hard.

Also >this isn't a 6 core xeon. Its $60 total for where I'm looking. So its ofcourse going to be one of the low end xeon. It still going to be faster than o-droid. If ever the need to, again, $10 xeon exists on ebay(subject to your own third world country exchange rates/listing).

> $10 Xeon
> competes with Ryzen
At what, exactly? (it doesn't)

> or some something far away from the shipper
More like US shipping costs are almost always very expensive. It costs $110 even to Canada, $170 to Japan, [...] - check for yourself. US offers -especially particularly big machines like that- are useless to just about anyone else.

Meanwhile the Odroid XU4 is cheap and easy to order.

> Just look at your local listing. Its not that hard.
No chance for anything nearly like a 6 core Xeons with 8GB RAM with budget for new PSU, new SSD and modern video card for $200 including shipping either.

You'll get some old power hungry shit for $300+, and then still need to buy the other parts.

What is "ORA"?

The PC Engines Alix boards might be a nifty platform for an OpenBSD router, gateway, VPN, network services system.
pcengines.ch/alix.htm

Attached: alix2d13.jpg (800x770, 206K)

Odroid Retro Arena:
odroidarena.com/

These guys have done a really good job forking original RetroPie from my understanding and emulate up to PS1/N64/Dreacast/PSP pretty well from what I have seen.

I've already mentioned it before in the post. But if you don't know, I don't want to spoon feed.

Unless you need the portableness of a single board, just buy a referbished PC real cheap.

I got that exact same model for free inside a nice aluminium case a few days ago. I already have a homeserver.
Any ideas as to what I can do with it?
I was thinking pihole, as I can't run it on my server because it fucks up its network config upon install (I've tried it).