/wt/ - Watch Thread [Integrated Lugs Edition]

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a functioning timepiece.

Thread video:
>youtu.be/EwUTCa3HaAc

Guides:
>Watch essentials 102: pastebin.com/Rc77hhXV
>Purchasing used watches: pastebin.com/f44aJKy2
>Purchasing straps: pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Should I buy this MVMT / DW / *Fashion brand* watch?
>Scroll throught this album first: imgur.com/a/6CNO8

"Suggest a watch for me."
>Your budget
>Watch type, e.g. dress, diver, flieger, etc...
>Desired bracelet option, e.g. leather, nylon, metal
>Wrist size or desired watch size, e.g. 17cm / 38mm

Previous thread:
>

Attached: W.jpg (1776x2060, 645K)

How do you screw hexagonal screwheads into place like that?

Attached: 1513007204881.png (866x900, 95K)

They're not screws, they're nuts. The screws are on the other side.

By using the ones on the back.

Attached: 230-3.jpg (5616x3744, 2.9M)

Very carefully and with special equipment.

Which is the better bracelet?

Attached: 5711.jpg (600x600, 99K)

Is there an acceptable quality chink shit clone of that model in the OP?

imagine paying more than $50 for a watch or more than $500 for a bluetooth-enabled watch. fucking pathetic.

This is triggering
>fake screws on the top that are impossible to unscrew because they're hexagonal

Imagine paying for a watch that you need to constantly bring to the battery jew instead of it winding itself

They're nuts, not "fake screws" nigga.

not really but there's a really shitty version of it on Aliexpress, usually under the "Didun" name. 43mm or so however but at least not open dialed.

my f91w needs a battery change every 10 years, you retarded faggot.
how about you imagine a world where your shitty winding clock isn't at all accurate and needs expensive service every HOW MANY years?

Or pay $20k+ for a mechanical watch that automatically sets itself to local time no matter where you are in the world via NTP.

Attached: RessenceBanner.jpg (980x340, 123K)

it's still way more accurate than the F91W (which by the way is /wt/ approved you sperg)

That's not what a fucking nut is, don't tell me that's a nut, it's a bolt you damn whore.
Note the HOLE, like the one in your skull.
It's free under the lifetime guarantee :^)

Attached: see the hole.png (1920x967, 1.8M)

the AP easily

That's because it's a piece of shit with a LCD display that needs no power and is so cheap it's better to simply buy a new one when it breaks or the battery goes.

FUCK /wt/
i thought you retarded faggots were told to move to /fa/ already

It's a nut you absolute mong. The screw goes into the nut from the back of the case. Other than the shape, the nuts on the front of the royal oak are functionally no different from pic related.

Attached: IMG_20150319_152411.jpg (2048x1536, 323K)

so OP if we nuke this thread are you gonna go full jihad on /csg/ again ?

Attached: 1548628969339.png (653x590, 14K)

so it's a good watch is what you're saying. man, you are so dumb.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Attached: angrery.png (768x768, 153K)

It's the worst watch in the world that literally only exists because it's also the cheapest.

Why exactly do you hate Seiko /wt/?

>/wt/ is a single person
There are plenty of good seikos.

Attached: IMG_20170610_134003.jpg (1836x3222, 1.12M)

>That you constantly need to bring to the battery jew

What the fuck, you can't replace a watch battery?

because it's not swiss made ® ™
watch needs to be of european or soviet brand, at least twice the price of similar japanese watches and either a pilot chronograph (because everyone here is at least a captain) or fancy sporty / diver watch with at least 7 hands

A lot of watches have weird mechanisms to keep them closed. You can do it yourself if you enjoy damaging your man jewelry. I guess on a $5 toy watch it isn't that big of a deal

It's like hating intel or nvidia - freetard fashion.

Gonna put the movement in the cleaner tomorrow, and assemble it on Tuesday. I tried to polish the acrylic crystal the best I could (Seiko reverted to acrylic on some models during the worst years of the quartz crisis), but I think I'll just order a new one, as it has one or two tiny cracks that can compromise rain-proofness.

Attached: 20190131_154033.jpg (4160x2340, 2.38M)

People like you are the reason so many hate Seiko in /wt/ because you only want to post Seiko and hate on anything else.

>f91w
>worst watch in the world
get a load of this fucking retard. off yourself, retard!

not seeing any results for Didun

It's one of those fun to hate sort of things

It's one swiss shill / architard who thinks he's being cool for being retarded

>acrylic crystal
what a faggot. it's PLASTIC. call it what it fucking is.

I'm gonna get a Grand Seiko for my dad bros, it feels more special than the usual Omega/Rolex stuff.

Attached: Grand-Seiko-SBGR305-titanium-3.jpg (1600x2009, 361K)

Thanks for the bump

Is that the particular ref you have in mind then?

buy me one too, yeah?

You must hate your dad.

I wondered about this shit forever and then felt so fucking stupid when I found out how they worked.

Does he know enough about watches to understand what it is? I really like Grand Seikos but I'm not sure I'd gift somebody one unless they were as much of a watch geek as I am.

Just buy him a seamaster and call it a day. Boomers can't even into speedy they'll wreck the movement. Just tell him this is the james bond watch.

>he thinks people care what watch he wears
lmao
you could be wearing a $10000 rolex and no one would bat an eye

Attached: 1549244019161s.jpg (245x250, 6K)

If he knows anything about Watches, no doubt he'd appreciate a GS as much as he would a babi-tier Rolex, or any Omega.

Also, consider Tudor. Just to put the spanner into the works.

I've been waiting for my AP royal oak ultra thin edition for 2 weeks now. I'm having trouble sleeping. it's been stuck on swiss postal customs. swiss people arent robbers right?

Attached: 1533436202954.png (593x635, 260K)

This is the poorfag's mindset.
Wealthy pepole always pay attention to stuff like jewelry

S E E T H I N G 5 0 % S W I S S

>be bill gates
>no rolex, no omega, no memeoftheweek watch

you have no friends, you're not social, you're a shut-in, youre introvert.

Bill gays isn't the type of man who does this, he's above it all
this is for a lower class of people but yet rich enough. There's a secret club where you can get in if you're spotted wearing the right watch. The privileges are endless...

I bought a Rolex at my local AD and ever since that I get formal invitations to various events.

>There's a secret club where you can get in if you're spotted wearing the right watch. The privileges are endless...
The absolute state of Rolex shills.

Good morning wt.

The Junghans Mega was the only Swiss production 4mhz quartz watch ever produced (the others were from Citizen and Casio). Omega produced a prototype 4mhz movement but it never went into production - their only AT-cut MHz range watches were the 151x series found in the Marine Chronometers. MHz range quartz is much more thermoinsensitive than standard quartz and can this be adjusted to run much more precisely.

Attached: 20190204_100526-3024x4032.jpg (3024x4032, 1.32M)

funnily enough I was in France and some guy saw my AP and he had one too and that's all it took, fucker invited me to his yacht and I made a new acquaintance and got some business deals through his mates

Nice fantasy.

>ctrl+f
>seiko 5
>0 hits

Never change, /wt/

watches are not technology 1

watches are not technology 2

looks like you shill niggers win this round. this timeout is fucking me.

Nothing personal kid
>teleports behind you
Looks like your clock is out of time

Casio protrek is the endgame

>solar
>atomic timekeeping
>weighs nothing
>shock protection
>compass
>barometer
>altimeter
>stopwatch features
>alarm

I loveRolex, omega, grand seiko but unfortunately cant imagine buying one after having pic related

Attached: PRW3100Y-1_large.png (366x537, 275K)

>atomic timekeeping

You're getting memed, my dude
There's a regular old quartz oscillator in there with a WWVB receiver that syncs up to CO's atomic clock once a day.

Neat. I've worked once on an old quartz Junghans (a basic cal. 667) and wanted one ever since. Unfortunately they're a bit beyond reasonably priced.

Attached: junghans_667.jpg (3264x2448, 1.75M)

Junghans was a major innovator among swiss brands. They've lead the region in terms of both quartz tech and solar tech, and were doing interesting things in the pre-quartz period (though largely overshadowed by high performance pieces from major brands like Omega). A lot of folks hope the current Meister Mega is a precursor to a solar version given Junghans's background in solar watches.

The 667 is a neat caliber, though I'd probably go for a GP 352 before a 667

Attached: 20190204_125203.jpg (2896x2896, 606K)

You mean kraut.

Attached: junghans_astro_chron.jpg (980x666, 140K)

that's the smallest atomic clock I've ever seen

Attached: 4L_Ey502WsJ.jpg (3056x2352, 1.78M)

How about this atomic clock?

Attached: Screenshot_20180702-093801_Chrome.jpg (1440x808, 263K)

Just started to look a bit more into watches and came to really like the simple design of the Grand Seiko Watches (pic related)
Is there any comparable looking for like

Attached: 1517954536218.jpg (1250x834, 150K)

if it updates the time from an atomic clock every day that is technical atomic timekeeping
it will be correct to the nearest second at any given time

A Seiko.

If I reset my mechanical watch to the time on time.is every morning, is that atomic timekeeping?

Only if it automatically sets itself like this

you can't set a mechanical watch that accurately, plus a mech loses/gains seconds a day whereas a quartz doesn't

Was thinking of some specific models but that works too I guess

It hath finally shipped

Attached: 91ON05lKsvL._UY550_.jpg (324x550, 29K)

>via NTP

Useless. I'm doing a revision of my nixie clock project that uses GPS. PPS to train a delay locked loop to account for any fucky delays in analog shit (firing time of nixie tubes is ~70 us). GPS going to a raspi and letting linux figure out the timezone and DST rules bc that shit is way too much work for me. Now that's a proper solution. Put that into a watch and I'm sold.

Grand Seiko are _very_ simple watches in their design but that is what they aim for. Honestly it's not for everyone and if you do consider buying one make sure you look at it in person first as it may not be what you expect.

Dont really consider buying a Grand Seiko since I just started looking into watches, was looking for more affordable watches

You do know that NTP clock sources can be GPS right? The Ressence watch line does pretty much exactly what you just described. There is an app that gets the correct local time that talks to electronics inside the watch that then sets the mechanical movement exactly.

any not-impossible-to-get watches that look like the eichi i?

Attached: 4L_22hu6cv1.jpg (700x467, 35K)

NTP can be great. It's the fact that you need to make a network that makes it a worse solution.

If you want affordable the look at quartz shitters. If you want affordable mechanical then look at vintage.

>Not getting the green map version
Wew lad

I've tried a more simpler project years ago but gave up. It involved using an old Elektronika TV as a serial terminal, displaying some tty clock program like clockywock, with the host being a modern Linux PC with NTP.

In the end it failed for a number of reasons, but mostly because modern tty clock programs don't play well with serial cable baud rates, and the low resolution of PAL.

Attached: elektronika_408.jpg (800x772, 157K)

Is pic related a good buy for my mum?

Attached: nomos_orion_rose_33_325_ace_jewelers_amsterdam-4-1.jpg (1500x999, 551K)

A very good buy.

Don't gift people memenicals if they're not absolute watchfags. It's a burden of daily winding, inferior accuracy, extra caring about stuff like magnetism, and higher service cost every three to ten years.

If she's a normie you should probably gift her a quartz.

Attached: 4L_OeuhX5uM.jpg (700x525, 112K)

what if I got a watch winder? No need for her to look after it, and I'm not a poorfag so servicing isn't a problem if it breaks down for some reason.

You don't need a winder for that watch. The Nomos has a great movement for the price. It's accurate and the power reserve is 2 days iirc.

Rolex is like the new-rich fag watch. But yeah, people with a lot of cash doesn't give a fuck about looking like a million dollars, only poorfags do

Nice sweeping generalisation there bro. Rolex sell one million watches a year to every kind of customer possible.

The accuracy is still probably a good enough reason not to get it. If someone isn't into watches they're probably not going to want their watch to be off a minute per week.

umph.....

Attached: Screenshot_20190204-165838.png (1280x720, 544K)

Look at that subtle off-green colouring.
The tasteful thinness of it.
Oh my God, it even has a WATER WR RESIST mark on it.

Attached: f-91Chad.jpg (3104x1746, 1.24M)

Attached: 1291797697296.jpg (500x375, 72K)

Attached: HS5rnnI.jpg (680x598, 56K)

Attached: IMG_20190204_151558.jpg (1286x1309, 393K)