How do we solve ageism in the tech industry?

Should companies be required to have 50% of the employees be 50+ years old?

Attached: 1537244629872.png (702x306, 51K)

I see boomers working in Starbucks and home Depot all the time. ask them

If you worked for more than 20 years in tech the chances of you hitting the lottery on your vested stock being worth millions becomes extremely high, that's why there are no journeymen around from the 90s. As time goes on this will probably become less common.

The guy who used to deliver my take out food when I was working from home said he couldn't land a programming job because all the startup were looking for young people. He must have been in his 40s or early 50s. There's this thing called "company culture" where crazy HR departments want everyone to be friends and bond with each other, I guess they think you can't work with people who aren't close in age to you.

The industry was not as large 30 years ago.

One of my favorite coworkers is worth like $50 million, but between his wife's honey-do list and his family's nutso drama he prefers the quiet lift working 9-5 to retirement.

Depends on the region and company. You'll see people 40+ working at large companies outside of the bay area and NYC.

we increase penalties for age discrimination
make it worthwhile to lawyers and it solves itself
quotas are a strawman propped up by SV companies
thanks for outing yourself OP

This is why I will never marry

their job passed to low iq people with 1/10 the pay

dude stop spreading this bullshit. Unless you're working at FANG or bought into FANG in ~2000 I seriously doubt you made truly life-changing money.

I'm 30 and I work with Linux and Python. I might get made redundant soon. desu I'm pretty sick of this shit. Tech claims to be a meritocracy but I'm so tired of watching fucking basedbois set the rules. Those cunts can fuck off, I'll probably work in retail next.

There's an Uncle Bob quote along the lines of:
The number of programmers in the industry doubles every 10 years.

As long as the Uni's and tech schools keep pumping out grads, the graybeards will always be in the minority

>As long as the Uni's and tech schools keep pumping out grads
Have seen the quality of these grads? They do not last long in the tech world.

How do I make it? Is reading K&R and doing C the only way?

I work in Silicon Valley dumbass.
>bought into FANG in ~2000
You don't know what you are talking about. People working 20 years ago (could be over 40 yo now as referenced in OP post) didn't even know of most of those companies existence, only Apple. There are HUNDREDS of companies that went boom and bust long before them, all with insane RSU and options packages. The people who did work early on in FAANG companies, of which there were quite a lot of people, of course made tons of money if they were smart. One of the wealthiest people I know managed the Apple TV project, which was a complete disaster, and still came out with tens of millions. That was the standard back then. A typical company early in it's life would give the average engineer/programmer a sign on bonus worth $50k of the company + yearly bonus structure. Do you know how many tech companies went 20x their initial value? Think about early IBM, Yahoo, Oracle, Packard Bell, etc. employees, everyone was in an easy position to make $10mil+.

>How do I make it?
Are you an undergrad? If yes:

1- Study and learn. Do not spend the majority of your time doing Facebook/Twitter/party/alcohol.
2- Do you own homework. Do not copy/paste from friends or Google.
3- Practice what you learn, instead of memorizing for the exam then forgetting everything immediately after the exam

From what I have seen, most students go to college/uni in order to have fun. It is no surprise that they graduate as airheads. Make sure you prioritize learning useful skills over having fun.

nah, startup don't give out shit anymore, you have to be in FANG now to make real money

What is fang

Fagbook, Applel, Normieflix, Gewgle

Cheaper to hire young employees who don't have to support a family, willing to work longer hours, won't get hung up on code quality or efficiency

See Microsoft firing their QA division

Man you hate a lot of things. Anything you do like?

Kek

your mom's ass

:V

t. zoomer

> Cheaper to hire young employees who don't have to support a family
no wonder the usa has turned into pure fucking cancer run by incompetent cunts.

invent immortal cat girls

That's what happens when you vote for Trump.

>>Trend going back several presidencies
>must be trump

>anymore
>FANG
What are you talking about? This conversation is about what was happening 20-30 years ago.

Shit I won’t graduate until I’m 25 should I just change to basket weaving

At my company, the handful of old developers are easily the worst programmers of all of us. Ageism exists for good reason.

Exactly! Fuck meritocracy!

>their job passed to low iq people with 1/10 the pay
Is this reflective of how easy the work is then? I work as an EE, and there's tons of baby boomers, and they're the gatekeepers of the knowledge. If they all retired tomorrow, the company would be fucked. More often than not, the boomers retire, and the company brings them back as contractors for a shit load of money.