Is 16gb ram necessary in 2019?

is 16gb ram necessary in 2019?

Attached: 1536030391693.png (796x1060, 407K)

Ill meet you half way at 12

yes

t. win10 + vscode + hyper terminal

why do they only come in 4s? (serious)

dumb wangtard

No but it makes everything snappy it's great

Only if you're using it for playing shitty AAA games. Otherwise 8GB is fine.

gotem

Attached: db0.jpg (349x642, 29K)

disgusting

>needing 16GB of RAM for a text editor and terminal
winjeets truly are cucks

If you do anything that takes up RAM, yes. Video games, virtualization, rendering videos or 3d.

512MB is enough for anyone.

Attached: japan hmm.png (411x339, 152K)

Considering the web is getting worse by the day, I'd say that's barely enough actually.

>virtualization
This, it eats up a lot of ram with multiple vm, but a good cpu can be requiered too.

Every windows software I use these days ends up taking more than 1 gb of space and using a shitload of ram..I don't know what happened to software on wndos that it's all desgined so badly

Meanwhile on Apple most software is way better

You're retarded

For video games, I've encounter 2 games that need more ram than 8gb. Just Cause 3 and Forza 3. The rest are okay.

A game from 2015 and a game from 2016, neat.

I like my rigs lasting for 5-6 years.

mostly convenience for firmware authors.

I'd say 12GB minimum now.

I have a lot of work in the background updating while I play videogames to kill time, and RAM gets eaten quick.

For example, yesterday I had Mozilla open with 1 Tab open while I played Dragon Quest XI and I ended up running out of RAM, causing the game to instantly crash.

I only have 8GB though.

>windows 10
>boot to desktop and do nothing
>4gb+ used

>linux
>

lol

>linux
Sounds about right.

Attached: face.jpg (250x230, 33K)

I've had 8, 12 and 16 and only noticed a difference when doing work in 3DSMax.

For a desktop, yes. For a laptop, no.

kek

it is if you want to use zfs or btrfs

What's necessary for me, may not be necessary for you. DYOR LMAO!

It depends on your needs. BTFO!

>list of balanced pros and cons with a conclusion that reads, "you decide!"

"If you do editing...maybe"

Yes and no

>is 16gb ram necessary
I've got a 13.3" notebook/laptop with a great IPS display and a N4200 Pentium CPU and 4 GB of RAM. It's great for it's purpose: Basically a tablet with keyboard. 4 GB is enough for opening a web browser and a few tabs. It's enough to run a mail client. It's fine.

Would I want to edit hi-resolution images on a machine with 4 GB RAM? hell no. Video editing? Forget it. Games? Many need 8 GB just to run which means you'll want 16 GB so you can run most games without having to close every single thing open so you can run the game without stuttering.

It really does depend on what you'd like to be able to do. It's comfy to have 32 GB RAM on my desktop.

I have multiple pixiv tags open for the possibility of fapping to them. I need more than 8gb of ram.

>16gb of ram needed to game
what?

4GB is still enough for a normie browsing faceberg

Attached: 1549008891626.jpg (655x578, 129K)

agreed

Idk, I only have 4.

Lmao Linux shills (who do it for free) at full force again.

A freshly booted Windows 10 might use 2GB max after booting. Even with browser, music player, office and discord open I don't reach 4GB (out of 8)

Attached: 1542906409640.jpg (240x219, 16K)

I use windows 10 at work with 4gb ram. It's a fucking nightmare. It's already at 2.5 gb memory usage without having opened any programs. So once I have a browser opened, plus excel, plus the office's phone software, now I'm north of 3gb. If I have to work with a big excel file or god forbid also have microsoft word and powerpoint open, I'm totally fucked. It's torture.

t. brainlet who doesn't know how computers work
Try looking swap when you have all that shit open.

I had problems with a program in the past so page file is disabled on my PC if you mean that.

How many crashed programs have you experienced during your use?

It is for gaming or doing other memory intensive tasks
8 is fine for general usage on Windows
On GNU/Linux you can comfortably get away with only 4GB

Nothing out of the ordinary

Attached: meme - Copy.png (1179x658, 173K)

If you use a web browser, excel and outlook at the same time then yes.

Nice of you to show me just the side bar and not the entire graph with all the details. The OS will try to keep it as low as possible which is why you're only reaching 4 out of 8. Try actually doing that shit with a hard 3.7 GB limit instead of touting how your computer only uses 4 GB in your 8 GB system.

I understand your point but why would my system use less than half of the available RAM?
At work I have a mobile workstation with 16GB of RAM available and I get about the same usage. Even with all my programs (I'm a 3D-CAD designer so I use Solid Edge) I barely ever go over 4GB.
Here have the entire graph. I don't understand what all these values mean anyway.

Attached: ebin - Copy.png (665x693, 31K)

any non-pixel game from the last 4 years takes 4-8 and graphically intensive ones 8-16

based

Instantly running out of address space without paging is an instant crash for the system, that's why. It provisions more than enough when a sudden unpredictable increase in memory happens (like a memory leak from a faulty program). Any """unused""" RAM is relegated to Cache containing non-essential but frequently used data to make the system go faster. Since it's non-essential, it can discard everything right away when it needs to actively use it. One reason why your CAD software isn't using much system RAM is because bulk of the RAM-related shit is happening in vRAM instead of sysRAM. Again, even if your workflow goes barely over 4 GBs, I dare you to try actually doing that on a system with an actual 4 GBs of RAM instead of bragging about how your 8 GB system is able to handle 4 GBs. With no paging, your shit system will immediately crash. On systems with a healthy amount of paging, it begins to write to the drive when at roughly 75% active usage.

Guys is a t420 with an i5-2430m, 8gb ram, and an ssd still good for programming and can I do some game programming at all possibly? I know I'll probably need a eGPU for more 3d game programming but im talking about 2d games and stuff like that. Should I upgrade? Also what should I program other than games???

lololol

32GBs the bare minimum if you use your machine for more than facebook

Thanks for the info but I think we moved flagpoles a bit over our conversation.
My original post was to call out that freetard who claimed that Win 10 uses 4GB+ on a freshly booted system doing nothing. There is nothing to brag about. I just hate it when Linux shills spread untruth.
>inb4 hurr Windowsfag

based and redpilled

Even with 2 GB, that's still too much, especially when Windows ships in everything, even the cheapest shitboxes with only 4 GB of RAM. That's already ~50% of usage and it becomes a nightmare having to deal with that. An OS with 2 GB at startup is just unacceptable if you know it's going to ship in machines that can go as low as 4 GB.

Technology moves on and manufacturers don't want you to use your old-ass computer for 10 years. They want you to replace that device, probably as often as people replace their phones because of some update cycle.
The truth is that ever since SSDs, there is no real reason anymore to upgrade your PC, and I also don't think that Win10 requires better hardware than Win7

I recently ditched Windows 10 on my old laptop and now I'm using a "bloated" Linux distro and DE. The performance increase is quite significant, but RAM was't a problem there either. The highest use I get there is about 3GB (and I'm one of those guys who leaves 20+ browser tabs open at all times)

Manufacturing process. And you shouldn't use mismatched numbers of DIMMs per channel. You should also avoid having more than 1 DIMM per channel. Thus you should really only consider 2x4, 2x8, or 2x16 on a mainstream dual channel platform. And 2x4 is generally not enough except for grandma.

Absolutely. 8gb is certainly having issues for me with some programs.

They're not even old, m8. Shitty budget laptops being sold now are still coming with 4 GB of RAM at the minimum. Even worse is lower power shit like intel compute sticks are going as low as 2 GB. Don't lob the "it's too old" argument at me. Those devices are still being produced and M$ knows that Windows is going to ship in those devices. 2GB on boot is fucking unacceptable.

My laptop is fine with only 4gb ram on windows 8.1

>is 16gb ram necessary in 2019?
Yeah I think so

Attached: RAM.png (282x57, 8K)

Any use of a PC with 4GB has been almost entirely replaced by phones. Office work, the last bastion of normie PC usage, struggles with 8GB these days.

I have 16GB and it's enough to do machine learning with everything open.

When you open 50 chrome tabs like I do

Only because offices use a ton of bloatware. Microsoft Word didn't require more than 128mb of RAM in 2003 yet it requires at at least 2GB today to do the exact same thing.

I agree its stupid, but it is what it is. Productive office work requires >8gb these days so you don't have to close powerpoint or your chrome tabs before opening that other word doc.