Why should I switch from Vim to Emacs Jow Forums?

Why should I switch from Vim to Emacs Jow Forums?

Attached: K6ejX.png (604x519, 43K)

you probably shouldn't

Attached: consider.png (824x720, 71K)

Honestly I haven't found enough of a reason yet, and I mostly do lisp. Vim has slimv so it's not that far behind emacs in that department now.

Try spacemacs. It's a preconfigured emacs for vim people.

/thread

When you find a usecase for emacs over vim. (you won't ever find one)

>Why should I switch from Vim to Emacs Jow Forums?
To purify your mind and body.

Also, fuck vimmers

so you can do EXWM

Buffer switching is way better

can you open pdfs in vim?
can you format latex in realtime with vim?
can you write your own scripts for in in the most powerful language every created?

I did because youCompleteMe is a pain in the ass to setup. Then I noticed how auctex + reftex makes vimlatex look like someone's first Sunday project. Decided I wouldn't come back after I saw how easily it was to setup langtools and get botnet free offline grammar checking.

Lots of neat stuff too. Indent buffer, ESS, integrates neatly with ipython repl, orgmode inline graphics and latex formula rendering.
Neat stuff.

How do you not have a reason if you're a lisp user when every standard buffer is being processed through a specialized lisp interpreter? configuration, scripting, and formating are all easy if you have lisp knowledge

because if you install evil you will have Emacs + Vim.

Org Mode. I am not a programmer but Org Mode is just too good for novel writing and as a personal manager.

I can't understand why these threads keep going, week after week, year after year. Who fucking cares what editor you use? Why is this the subject of seemingly endless debate? Just pick a fucking editor and get gud with it. Any editor. Literally ANY FUCKING EDITOR. Pick one. Then fucking shut the fuck up about it. Goddamn you faggots.

Fuck

Attached: 1547348925562.png (500x485, 166K)

Because Emacs with Evil mode entirely encapsulates Vim. Additionally, Vims extensibility and scripting is objectively inferior to Elisp

Wrong. Doesn't have half scrolling because emacs C-u is for repeaters

>not using the based Joe's own editor

it's just a different hotkey

sublime text user having a breakdown

>tfw no Acme editor for Ubuntu

Quick!
>Best dark theme
>And its best matching light theme

Attached: 2080Tifu_small_version.webm (720x900, 420K)

because youre missing something in vim and know its probably in emacs?

You should switch if you aren't already using an operating system.

>>can you open pdfs in vim?
No but I can bind zathura to open them for me
>>can you format latex in realtime with vim?
Yes with autocompilation

jmacs is nice as a backup, but it's just so lacking compared to emacs

This is definitely true. Are there any vim plugins that emulate emacs key bindings for dealing with splits and buffers?

I honestly never understood why people even bother using youCompleteMe, which is garbage. Vim already has a built-in autocompletion that just werkz.

Emacs has all what vim has and alot more. Theres no reason not to use it. Why havent you switched yet?

what? they don't have plan9port?

The built-in completes with words from the current buffer, not functions from the libraries you're using that don't appear in the buffer yet

But why is a text editor worth learning to begin with
I don't see the benefits of orgmode

>I don't see the benefits of orgmode
then you don't need Emacs. Keep using Vim and move on, man.

I don't use any editor

then how do you edit

Just install evil mode on Emacs and you're good to go. Browsing the file system and switching among buffers and files on Emacs is an absolutely golden experience. I only dream of the day when it'll have better intellisense than vscode. Besides, emacs lisp feels way better than vim script.

I use Visual Studio Code

Consider:
>doom themes
>spacemacs themes
>moe themes

I used to use vim but it's utter shit compared to emacs with evil

My window manager is set up with all Vim keys, I'm not sure if it's worth switching everything over to Emacs-like keys, or if it would even work as well.

Playing Tetris.

Notepad or gedit

I guess if you're a real programmer it brings benefits. If all you do is some web stuff or Latex, I don't think you need it. Vim is more than enough. Just my two cents

Vim: When I just need to quickly edit files or am working on standalone scripts
Emacs: When I am working on my own projects or editing Latex
Code: When I am working on larger projects or pair programming

you're retarded

such an eloquent and reasoned reply

>Vim: When I just need to quickly edit files or am working on standalone scripts
There is ed for that.