Systemd

Why haven't you accepted systemd as the provider of your system space?

Attached: system_space.png (1024x1155, 59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

linux.slashdot.org/story/19/01/10/1759253/linux-systemd-affected-by-memory-corruption-vulnerabilities-no-patches-yet
news.slashdot.org/story/18/10/27/196227/new-systemd-vulnerability-discovered
linux.slashdot.org/story/17/12/11/0049245/does-systemd-make-linux-complex-error-prone-and-unstable
linux.slashdot.org/story/17/07/29/1647255/systemd-named-lamest-vendor-at-pwnie-security-awards
github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/6237
github.com/tmux/tmux/issues/428
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

run.
run as fast as you can.

Can systemd handle some services better than traditional init? Maybe. Do I want those services on my machine? No.

Yes, all of them.
>easy to set up complex dependencies
>easy to set up services which are on-demand: e.g.: filesystem mounting via. udev, bluetooth, anything hot-pluggable, etc.
>standardized

Why haven't you accepted the fact that contrast is important?

Reminder that systemD is exactly what you would do if you couldn't compromise the Kernel.

make the next lowest level subsystem and make it touch as much as you can and bloat it so it is impossible to audit it quickly.

Attached: nuclear.jpg (550x413, 78K)

>Reminder that systemD is exactly what you would do if you couldn't compromise the Kernel.
>systemD
>D
opinion discarded

FACT: only autistic brainlets hate systemd

None of you systemdick shills can prove you aren't paid by RedHat and in turn US Intelligence agencies.

based and redpilled

Unironically yes.

Attached: 1542326569607.jpg (650x832, 187K)

enjoy your botnet user

poettering is a complete faggot and reacts to gaping security holes with either "working as intended" or ignores them

fuck him and everything he writes, none of that shit is getting on my machines

linux.slashdot.org/story/19/01/10/1759253/linux-systemd-affected-by-memory-corruption-vulnerabilities-no-patches-yet
news.slashdot.org/story/18/10/27/196227/new-systemd-vulnerability-discovered
linux.slashdot.org/story/17/12/11/0049245/does-systemd-make-linux-complex-error-prone-and-unstable
linux.slashdot.org/story/17/07/29/1647255/systemd-named-lamest-vendor-at-pwnie-security-awards

>That's the thing, isn't it? The millionth windows vulnerability and still saying "well any code has bugs". Sure it does. But the rebuttal is essentially saying that all code is created equal. That's just not true. Some code is very much more equal than others.

>This guy doesn't merely write crap code, he has a track record of not playing well with others, refusing to acknowledge bugs, expecting other software projects to work around and make up for his mistakes, and so on, and so forth. Next to his track record, there are multiple reasons why his code has more and more pernicious bugs than other code. One of the reasons is as GP says: The code tries to do too much and fails to make use of built-in fall-out protection, deliberately. That's just stupid. The guy has been told, and he still thinks it's a good idea. He really believes his shit does not stink. Ergo, the guy is stupid, as well as an asshole.

>If I get a choice at all, it is clear: I do not want any of his code running on my systems if I can at all help it.

I mean, what a fucking shitshow

Attached: solution.png (223x191, 27K)

Hi Poettereing

github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/6237

>systemd can't handle the process privilege that belongs to user name startswith number, such as 0day

Attached: star_trek_kirk_seizure_animooted.gif (498x372, 950K)

>year 2029
>systemd has grown uncontrollably and becomes sentient
>in most distributions the Linux kernel is regarded as a bootstrap mechanism for systemd
>Lennart starts porting drivers and file systems from the kernel to systemd
>the systemd mailing list is a warzone
>people who complain are permabanned by Lennart who leaves messages like "IT NEEDS MORE" and "IT'S MY BABY I CAN'T LET IT DIE"
>the resistance is led by neckbearded gentoomen
>they try to fight the system with all their might but their init systems are too slow
>most of them get pwned while their packages are compiling, some even before their system boots

>systemd has grown uncontrollably and becomes sentient
Cancer is unlikely to become sentient, ever, no matter how much biomass it accumulates

I have a job so I have

We are systemd. Lower your memory locks and surrender your processes. We will add your calls and code distinctiveness to our own. Your functions will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.

Attached: borg.jpg (2559x1919, 839K)

Attached: Untitled.jpg (5000x5000, 763K)

none of your systemd haters can prove you are not paid by microsoft to keep linux booting so slow no one will think about switching from windows

Systemd is desktop orientated. Servers only need to carry out specific functions and so don't benefit from such a feature rich set of tools, on desktops however having a system manager to automate all these things is much more useful, plus gives greater ease of access to more userland programs as develops have a standardized init system to test against. Also the security holes are only really a problem on servers in the first place.

Attached: all_your_systems_are_belong_to_us.png (240x160, 22K)

Based ruskie hackers

System dicks boots slow. Besides, if it's goal was to improve the boot time, why is it trying to become a fucking office suite

"System space" is a meme proliferated by systemd developers themselves.
Back in my day™ there were just user space and kernel space.

>system space
How do you make the distinction between system, kernel and user? The distinction between userspace and kernelspace is pretty clear and supported in hardware.

>antisemitic posts
delid now

>antisemitic
Kill yourself.

because I'm enjoying my devuan install with alsa and wicd

I don't want a fucking system space

>runit is slow

Attached: 1543732625182.gif (400x190, 3.81M)

I use Linux and I like Systemd.

>to keep linux booting so slow
What the fuck are you running it on? A single transistor?

>boot speeds are the primary concern of machines that are up for years at a time

>I don't want a fucking system space
They should really rename it the "NSA spying instrumentation space"

Why haven't you accepted systemd as the provider of your system space?
Because
github.com/tmux/tmux/issues/428
>why don't you fix systemd instead of forcing other programs to add systemd specific code?

Holy shit how does this look like forcing to you? Are you really this delusional?

Fuck off NSA, eat canister shot

Get help before you run into a moving train, faggot.

why don't you fix systemd instead of forcing other programs to add systemd specific code?

because it's not broken. killing processes when logging out is good design. if you want your program to live after the logout then implement it.
tmux is the special snowflake here. the majority of linux applications *should* be exited on logout.

should we change how the entire system space works, just because of a single special snowflake application? not adding systemd support baked (even if there are workarounds) in is shooting yourself in the foot at this point.

>should we change how the entire system space works, just because of a single special snowflake application?
That's literally what you're advocating.
You just fail to see that SystemD is the snowflake application.

stop posting and fix your codebase poettering

>use gnu hurd
>dont have to deal with this bullshit

systemd *is* the system space. it contains many more modules than just a simple init.

>it's not broken.
REALLY?
>can create username starting with numbers no issues
>systemd can't handle it and automatically assigns root privileges
NSA go home you're evil

he's written software that is used by millions. can you say the same?

Because samozbor is way superior to systems.

Attached: 15492097258900.png (1638x1734, 43K)

not him but I have written stuff with user counts in low hundreds of thousands and think theres something extra fishy in systemd and the way they handle things like
this root privilege bug

>process privilege

Which isn't handled at all by other init systems.

>out yourself on Jow Forums
I'll pass.
>millions
this isn't exactly a tough metric to get to and you should be careful using it as one considering the amount of retards that exist on this planet

Attached: is-odd.png (1248x683, 43K)

>>systemd can't handle it and automatically assigns root privileges

Every other init system starts everything with root privileges and relies on the daemon to properly drop them.

>he thinks systemd is limited to being an init system

I wasn't thinking about webdev shit, but point taken.
This. I personally don't agree with how poettering handled that issue, because imo they should have rules blacklisting invalid usernames or just change how it works altogether.
Nevertheless, that bug is hard to exploit, as you already need root to add a new user.

>This. I personally don't agree with how poettering handled that issue, because imo they should have rules blacklisting invalid usernames or just change how it works altogether.
>Nevertheless, that bug is hard to exploit, as you already need root to add a new user.
But since the suspicion is that the attack here is coming from development side and systemd is a far-flung monolith with tendrils everywhere this could be part of binary attack where another part of systemd kicks something into action that allows it to done remotely without it self being suspected as a planned attack vector without seeing both bugs at the same time..

Attached: gendo_ikari.jpg (500x341, 44K)

Attached: zionistconspiracy.jpg (600x450, 27K)

Your days are numbered NSA

Attached: get_a_load_of_this_spy.jpg (700x607, 233K)

Forgot to say:

Surrender now and you may live