Build a new init system

>build a new init system
>make it good enough that everyone adopts it
>bundle it with other vaguely related things
>make all of them break backwards compatibility
>make all of them Linux-only
>force other projects, starting with your own, to depend on your new non-portable APIs and behaviour
>you now have de facto control over all of Linux
>sell out to IBM and make a fuckload of money

Attached: 1537670033129.png (716x700, 125K)

Fuck, I didn't know IBM had bought RedHat, I was going to switch from Debian to Fedora, I'm not sure of that anymore.

You should unironically install Gentoo.

I would, but my computer (or lack of a real one) is too slow to compile anything on it.

Fedora is only primarily sponsored by Red Hat. It's still mostly community-driven.
This is also an option.

>>bundle it with other vaguely related things
nobody follows if they wouldn't want to
>>force other projects, starting with your own, to depend on your new non-portable APIs and behaviour
you literally can't force other projects
/thread

Attached: 1518459253362.png (565x540, 19K)

>you literally can't force other projects
Imagine being this naïve and completely ignoring the systemd adoption process.

>you can't other projects
>GNOME removes system tray, something else I forgot about which was widely used by devs
>all popular distributions uses systemd
Unless you are not interested your program to be functional, yeah they don't force you. It's just, that your software won't work as you want.
Unless, you will start work around their rules, which means, they do force you.
One more thing:
>nobody follows if they wouldn't want to
I agree that systemd makes things easier, but this statement is false, here's why:
have GNU/Linux distribution
it's pretty popular, don't wanna lose it and want more people to start using GNU/Linux instead of MS/Botnet
GNOME is one of most popular DEs
systemd appears
you don't like it
redhat makes GNOME systemd dependant
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
should I adopt systemd and continue with your life or should I abandon GNOME?
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Then other distributions follows, and becomes standard

Now, fuck off, NSA

>*redhat creates systemd*
>Debian: wtf I want to use systemd
>*program depends on systemd*
wtffff systemd bad

Gnome switched to logind because consolekit was abandoned, systemd-logind isn't the only implementation available

>redhat makes GNOME systemd dependant
>hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
>fork it because it's open source
samefag autist frogposter, see above. is not like any of those are proprietary and literally nobody would force you to use them even if they were.
if gnome depends on systemd so what? you autists always say gnome is a piece of shit and there are other alternatives, even gentoo has gnome without systemd.
the absolute state of nu-g, no contribution to open source, and on top of that treat libre open source software like if they were proprietary
>hurrr it must be eazy to stole I mmean fork and friendly portabble
that would be cool, if I were a developer. kill yourselves autists. nobody cares about red hat or systemd and they live just fine
>weboob
>IBM are aliens and red hat is evil meme

too much backwards compatibility is not good. theres already windows for that

and that's implying the init system has any impact on backwards compatibility of software. Like just modify a bit the scripts

systemd-journald keeps fucking running and I can't stop it. It keeps re-enabling itself. Tell me how this isn't malware.

install gentoo and use some other logging daemon or just configure it in the programs

kek, same. but if your systemd implementation is not shit it should tell you you have to also mask a socket that calls journald. just learn to read

>it should tell you you have to also mask a socket that calls journald. just learn to read
no shit, I stopped and disabled both of those too. I can get journald to stop for a while but if I reboot it reenables itself. Poettering has fucking infected my computer.

also this thread is funny because people who call out the difficult of porting software just don't want to use the whole red hat software. yet they screech because they can't steal just the parts they like easily (they can since it's open source). Like dude, make a better system than red hat and then we are talking, then red hat will try to steal from you.
>WAAHHH I CAN'T MAKE A DISTRO OF A DISTRO JUSTTT SELECTIVELY COPYPASTING FROM RED HAT
>WAAAHHHHHHHHHH

>NOTABUG WONTFIX
>pottering: why would you want to disable journald? closing this as I don't see the problem
kek, I haven't checked myself. Journald started too when I booted up even though I disabled it, I think it logs the boot but then it doesn't get killed or something like that. That fucker drains the battery a bit

fyi red hat already employs many people who are maintainers of the kernel so your convoluted tinfoil hat faggotry is a joke

They had some minor level of control over the kernel.
Now they have a major level of control over userspace.
It's kind of a joke, but it's also kind of serious. Why do you think IBM bought them?

Based IBM will show armchair freetards what their "muh freedom" worth. I love that.

I still don't understand the animosity towards red hat. Actual evil corps like Google and Intel for example are both prominent contributors to both Linux and its userspace and somehow you're singling out red hat?

>fork it because it's open source
>Fork GNOME
In other words, abandon it like the previous poster said.

Gnome gets the same amount of incessant flak as systemd anyway, what do you care they both only work with each other?

>what do you care they both only work with each other?
I personally don't as I'm using Void.
But you can't deny what OP said. GNOME is extremely popular and it's Dependance in systemD Made a difference.

IBM probably just wants RHEL on POWER10

Gnome switched to logind because consolekit was abandoned, there was no malicious intent behind the move despite what you like to think

Maybe it's being started by systemd in the initramfs?

they cant do anything because its open source. you can modify the codes if you dont like it but most retards will just whine and do nothing to it.

There's still elogind

why use gnome if you dont like systemd.. there are many better alternatives that work fine without redhat software.

Intel is responsible for the trainwreck that is Wayland, sure, but I can't think of anything else they or Google have done to ruin desktop Linux.
Red Hat and the soulless sociopathic autists it employs, on the other hand...

>make it lazy enough that everyone adopts it
ftfy

>I can't think of anything else they or Google have done to ruin desktop Linux.
how about ruining the entire internet? yet i don't see you losers bitching about it nearly as often as you do against red hat

people like simple things. even retards can write a systemd unit but not those shell scripts that the old init systems use.

That is exactly why every distro that matters (except Gentoo, although Gentoo value is to corporations only anyway) is systemD.

theres always lfs if you dont like what the distros are doing

This is not a thread about the entire Internet. Fuck off back to r****t and take your whataboutism with you.

This is a tech board, nobody cares about you or your tinfoil hat faggotry, it's you who needs to fuck off

Why does he wear the hat?

>>make all of them break backwards compatibility
Being this retarded.
>you now have de facto control over all of Linux
This happens when someone actually invest in a project? I guess.

what does this even mean? It compiles it in the same computing time as any other computer.
Are you a brainlet?

Everything red hat does is open source/free
They don't own the building they're on
So IBM basically bought red hat's employees

Attached: cptobvious.jpg (241x323, 20K)

Unironically install OpenBSD.

Attached: 9217ED00-B461-4A51-9461-8A6CF4828BED.png (765x768, 514K)

>in the same computing time
well, dah, but not in the same realtime
Maybe, but I have all my files in BTRFS, switching to a BSD compatible filesystem would be a really time consuming task since I'm too poor for backups, besides is there any firejail-like sandboxing solution for BSD? Is there even MAC functionality on openBSD, I know BSD's chroot is supposed to be like a jail or something. I guess I would have to do research, but yeah, one of these days I switch to some BSD, keep my BTRFS on a Linux server and access them from my BSD workstation and then convert my filesystems to ZFS if BSD works for me.