Bit rot

You guys said it was just a meme...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_degradation

Attached: 1522483375272.jpg (673x220, 23K)

>using a lossy compression method
this is what you deserve.

vaporwave but

>Solid-state media, such as EPROMs, flash memory and other solid-state drives, store data using electrical charges, which can slowly leak away due to imperfect insulation. The chip itself is not affected by this, so reprogramming it once per decade or so prevents decay.
>once per decade
what the fuck, that sounds pretty reliable then

Happened to a lot of my photos on an old sd i used in my phone

I told you about rotational velocidensity, fag
You only had to listen

Just use BTRFS or even better, ZFS you fags

only plebs who haven't kept stuff long time say this is impossible or people who have started a private tracker in only last 2years.

I had what.cd files that I kept and honestly after like 18months they already had distortions just from the drive spinning every now and then (wasn't seeding 24/7) and the damage to the files from age was so slight that the hash check would still say the file was 100% ok but it would literally have clicks and pops in it like vinyl just because it aged.

people who think digital shit is just 0 and 1 and never gets damaged are idiots. every thing ages. even on a SSD. and honestly after that experience I think digital music honestly ages faster than cassette tapes age which is about 25years (longer if you keep temp of room good)

only way to keep digital files a long time I think is put them on a hard drive then unplug it and leave it some place safe. there is a reason google and Microsoft servers host things on like 100 servers and refresh the files all the time and check them constantly.

this is also why leaving stuff in the cloud is safer than on some retarded nas.

fuckloads of people also have super old MP3s from the 2000s that have lowered in bitrate over time just from age. thats prob the easiest example people have wright down on a bit of paper the bitrate of all ya songs and then check back on them in 2years they will drop. its why people have random mp3s from the 2000s now that ar elike random bitrate numbers even thou they downloaded them at 125kbs or 320kbs etc and now they are like 106kbs or 289kbs or some thing random.

its not thou when you actually use a computer things age in months not decades. any sensitive file like a high detail image or high detail music will degrade in less than a year to the point its noticeable.

pleb teenagers and early 20s guys deny this thou because they just setup their computer to no life and blindly think it will all last forever based on nothing but a vague baseless opinion.

I had this happen to an sd card I used with my phone e, is there a way to fix the files or prevent this from happening again to my new sd?

>less than a year
I doubt files degrade as fast as you claim them to
do you have scientific proof?

just flip the wrong bits around..??!

it happened

if you have any files you really care about store them on a drive that's unplugged for 99% of the year or in the cloud.

checksum exists for a reason

Literal retards.

Audiophile tier post, a Nas with a CoW filesystem is better than an HDD with a seized bearing.

>the damage to the files from age was so slight that the hash check would still say the file was 100%
Kill yourself.

This is some of the dumbest shit I think I have ever read.

Muh bits wont rot in da cloud

>the hash check would still say the file was 100%
Literally impossible. A bit flipped and the whole hash changes. Learn about how things work before shitposting.

>tfw you have rotational velocidensity

it's kinda funny how this is the main bit we always bring up from the pasta when it was actually a positive quality that slowed the decay of your lossy music.