How the fuck are you supposed to use linux with a HiDPI screen? All of the scaling options are complete dogshit

How the fuck are you supposed to use linux with a HiDPI screen? All of the scaling options are complete dogshit.

Attached: image.jpg (1278x720, 457K)

umm sweetie you ok? linux is a server os so you only use terminal and the scaling is just fine since it uses bitmap fonts

Attached: image.jpg (843x473, 227K)

ok but are there sane scaling options or do I have brain worms

Attached: image.jpg (302x225, 22K)

bump

Attached: image.jpg (500x500, 83K)

>HiDPI screen
Bullshit, stop falling for memes. Resolutions above 1024p are memes.

1080p ain't no meme, palifam.

Honestly, I think the best option is xrandr
$ xrandr --output FOO --auto --scale 0.75x0.75
$ xrandr --output FOO --auto --scale 1.25x1.25
$ xrandr --output FOO --auto --scale 1x1

Replace FOO with the name of the output that you want to scale
Now, I know this is blurry but if you use xrandr compiled from git you can theoretically do something like
$ xrandr --output FOO --auto --scale 0.75x0.75 --filter nearest
$ xrandr --output FOO --auto --scale 1.25x1.25 --filter nearest
$ xrandr --output FOO --auto --scale 1x1 --filter nearest

to disable bicubic filtering and have crisp text

Yes, it's a mess right now

Buy a reasonably sized(21"-27") monitor and set the scaling to 2x in Gnome. If you fell for the stupidly huge monitor for "workspace" meme you're out of luck sorry.

GNOME doesn't have this problem

Linux is only used by poorfag neckbeards and trannies with 720p thinkpads.
Just install Windows or MacOS.

Linux doesn't have scaling options, you're clearly thinking of a specific DE. In which case my answer is, use a different DE. Cinnamon doesn't have this problem.

Why would a kernel have scaling options? It doesn't have a GUI.

Scaling is for eyelets.

?

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-02-05 12-36-29.png (3840x2160, 391K)

>gnome
>reddit
yikes

Doesn't KDE have decent scaling?

GNOME is the best DE currently, and reddit and 4gag has little to no difference. What's the matter?

only a redditor would have such shit opinions

Attached: 0620.jpg (428x575, 40K)

Its a 1440p 14in laptop display.

I tried using KDE but it had quite a few visual issues when I turned on scaling. I’ll try it again though I don’t really like it. I think it was because I was using like 1.5x and not 2x. Apparently the former has some issues.

Use Cinnamon

Did I do it wrong or something?
The only scaling option I get is Double, which makes every thing way too big.

>pay for extra pixels
>don't use extra pixels

why

Smoother pixels

I think all DEs are still currently only flawlessly scaling in full increments, not fractions. It will probably change in a year or two if Wayland progresses, but until then you can't really take advantage of hdpi unless it's 2x the normal comfy-sized resolution. Better just stick to lower res, HD for instance works great for laptops

Fractional scaling is a scam, does not work well in X11, does not flawlessly work in windows or mac

i use kde with font size increased rather than scaling enabled and it works pretty great; the only program that didn't work is firefox, but it has it's own font settings built in
no idea how it'll look at ~150% increase, but what i use is about 125% scaling equivalent and it looks alright