/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: handholdinguwu.jpg (500x500, 269K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-p5XmQHB_JSQvW8_mhBdcwEyxdVX0c1T
github.com/aksakalli/gtop
raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian
haveibeenpwned.com/
blog.pjsen.eu/?p=440
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

My Dell Inspirion laptop doesnt seem to want to burn CDs. I've tried using Burrrn, AnyBurn, and the desktop burning gadget but nothing works and I'm running out of blank CDs. I just want to burn some Merzbow albums for flac files and some of my own music in flac or wav. Is there any other software I could try that might work or some way to fix it? I'm dying to have something different to listen to in my car.

Fuck off back to /lgbt/

Try Brasero or K3b on Loonix. If you want something for Windows, try InfraRecorder.

based

is there any point for an average joe to learn any sort of coding or programming? Like someone who doesn't work with computers/software and probably never will. Is there anything useful or fun you can do with that knowledge?

Yeah you can certainly have programming as a hobby. Also while it's not really "programming", learning LaTeX will allow you to make really nice looking papers

>learning LaTeX will allow you to make really nice looking papers
That no one but experimental physicists will look at or even have the file association to open your document.
Latex is the biggest meme

The fuck is wrong with my printer?

Attached: IMG_20190204_192105.jpg (3968x2976, 1.81M)

>or even have the file association to open your document.
>what is pdf

Printers are bakas. Mine makes lots of faded blue streaks all across the paper if it has more colors than black and white.

If I have my computer connected up to my tv as a second monitor via hdmi, and that tv also has other inputs via hdmi, is there an easy/simple way to capture images from the tv from other sources, using the connection to my computer?

>tex
>dvi
>ps

>InfraRecorder
im on windows and tried this and if says the format is not supported for the flac files of this Merzbow album I tried to burn

You can just compile to pdf. Learn from the master.
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-p5XmQHB_JSQvW8_mhBdcwEyxdVX0c1T

>watching 10+ minute videos when you could write down your information and i can read it in less then a minute
Yeah no

just use pdflatex [filename]. It'll compile your tex document to pdf format.

qt

Uh, jannies? Care to do something about the homosexual pedophiles breaking containment?

I bought this second hand SSD in late September. It had maybe 25 GB written on it so those counters works. But the power on hours counter is wrong, I use it every single day for at least 16 hours. Yet it still only shows 5. When I bought it it showed 1. Since then it slowly increased to 5. Apparently it is counting something, but what? Definitely not the power on hours. What could it be? Even the official SanDisk Tool shows 5 hours uptime.

Attached: 1536570866123.png (674x728, 70K)

ive been looking for a secondary desktop to mess with. have been using a 1.6ghz core 2 duo thinkpad x61s as a secondary laptop and its pretty nice. now looking at pic related for a secondary desktop, also core 2 duo but 2.4ghz, any c2d would do but i like the case, its about £50, do i do it/am i a retard?

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1600x1010, 154K)

I've had the following Bluescreen errors in the last two days
>video tdr failure
>memory management error
>error reference by pointer
>page fault in nonpaged area
I built this computer around one month ago, started having problems just now, the errors popped up while doing not anything in particular, just browsing or playing games. Any help is welcome.

what's the best folder encryption app on android? I tried EDS lite but the last time i made an encrypted folder it displayed it as having a bunch of junk files and said it was over 5 TB in size

Attached: 1548251563590.jpg (1024x682, 42K)

Cringe and bluepilled

You probably want to encrypt the whole phone if you can considering all the contact information, location bookmarks, text messages, emails, and other stuff that can be selectively used to paint whatever picture the prosecution wants of you. Or your heinously criminal brother.

I want to stick my TV on a retracting lift behind the credenza so I don't have to look at it while I'm not using it. How much do I have to spend to get something reliable?

trying to help a senior citizen with his PC
dell optiplex 320 (running win 7 pro, so no OS support or specific drivers from dell website) slow af with 2x 512MB DDR2 sticks. (literally takes 5 minutes to load a webpage in chrome)
updated BIOS to 1.1.12 (from 1.1.5)

bought Crucial 4GB Kit (2 x 2GB) DDR2-667 UDIMM (CT2KIT25664AA667)

for some reason, i can't get BOTH 2GB sticks to work at the same time. best i can get is 2.5GB and it now only takes 15-20 seconds to load the average webpage on chrome.

what am i NOT doing right?
what am i forgetting?
what can i do to fix this problem?

Attached: optiplex 320 crucial ddr2.png (982x587, 21K)

also tried empty slots

Attached: optiplex 320 crucial part 2.png (982x587, 19K)

Trying to get multiprocessing to work using Python, the first process should run all the time while rest of the code gets executed by the second process. It looks like this
def main():
process_one = Process(target=first_function())
process_one.start()
process_two = Process(target=second_function())
process_two.start()
return

What happens is that the program goes stays in the loop that's executed with process one instead of continuing to starting the second process. How can I fix this? Please tell in simple terms, I've touched programming for the first time yesterday.

Attached: 1547628394215.png (777x785, 735K)

>win 7
what can i use to tell what program or service is creating files? dealing with a win7 machine that is creating 120mb cab files every 20 mins in the temp folder and all the the things i find online involve restarting a service which doesn't work or scripts to auto clear the folder every now and then, and thats not a solution either.

Attached: penguin.jpg (1600x1067, 187K)

I'm a novice at programming. For the past couple of years I've taught myself the basics and made some personal projects using C# pretty much exclusively. I've started to feel pretty comfortable with it but I also feel I've plateaued and my question is what would the logical next step be if I want to learn more advanced stuff and control things on a more intricate level (rather than rely on the language to handle everything for me)? Specifically, I want to design nice looking graphical interfaces/animations and to be able to optimize everything so it runs as efficiently as possible. I have no idea where to go from here though, what should I move onto and how? Is C++ still relevant today?

Attached: 1545948239804.jpg (700x769, 86K)

Hi this is a really stupid question. If I have a i3blocks script for battery with an interval of 1(meaning it will run every second), will that take some of the computing resources? Will it be enough to slow down my computer a little?

Attached: 1544668393582.jpg (540x540, 49K)

My new laptop has a Realtek RTL8822BE wireless adapter and my old laptop an Intel 7265 (rev 48) wireless adapter.

Should I consider switching them? Is the old adapter better?

What is an actual low level language?

Is there a reason to use gparted over Windows disk management to partition a hard drive for a GNU/Linux install?

picture in combination w/ this question is cute

Attached: 0-5.jpg (852x1280, 89K)

Based MikaYuu poster. Something more エロい like Mika biting Yuu's neck as OP image next time please.

hexadecimal

Hi.

I found this [pic related] in an old forum.
However, I cannot find another post (especially and official one from DELL) to corroborate it.

I have dealt with things like this in the past. so I thought I could help. Sorry I cannot.

Hopefully, another user can help you. I am sure it is very frustrating.

Attached: Snippet.png (803x839, 76K)

If I use MSi Afterburner to only change the Temp Limit of my GPU, is that still overclocking? Is there any risk to the GPU by doing this? My case has terrible airflow and the GPU has been running hotter than I like but Ive found using Afterburner and limiting the temp (without changing Power Limit, Core Clock, or Memory Clock settings) cools my GPU right down.

Are ISP panels really that much better than VA? The wiki recommends ISP but every time I compare them VA monitors look so much better. Is it a thing that only affects the quality/reaction time of fast paced games?

How do I format code on here?

>try to purchase webhosting
>enter a bunch of fake info
>try to pay with paypal, but never actually gave paypal info
>few hours later
>pic related
I dont think they bought it
Where can I get cheap webhosting on the down low?

Attached: Capture.png (1665x280, 19K)

000webhost

is 3 hours long enough to bump?
if so; BUMP

Slamming my noggin against an autodidactical wall.

Theres a program that brings up another prompt within the terminal that I'd like to send the command "home" to every 10 seconds. There's no argument I can pass to the rainbowstream command that does this. I tried some tty tomfoolery but every time I send an "enter" press to the terminal from another console it just puts the cursor on the next line and doesn't send the command. Thoughts?

Attached: rainbowstrim.png (516x291, 19K)

>000webhost
shiiiiieeeet that site's still around? i used to experiment making small websites with that when I was in high school learning web design

Is it possible to make a new drive on my computer?
For example. there's a C:\\ folder.
Can I make a Z:\\ folder ?

Yes by either adding a new drive or partitioning your current drive

You can assign a drive letter to a separate partition

Attached: create-new-partition-in-unallocated-space.png (650x537, 71K)

It has to be free space?
I only have like 10GB left, and I was going to move 100GB of stuff to that partition.

Yes it would have to be unallocated space if a separate partition doesn't already exist

Attached: shrink.png (948x627, 78K)

how do I make dmenu match the height of my i3bar?

Is there any food people can eat to get calories from that is not derived from another formerly living thing?

If this doesn't work for whatever reason (usually partition in use, OS partition, whatever) make gparted boot disk and use that.

If gparted boot disk don't work (it didn't for me for some reason) just get ubuntu boot disk, it includes gparted

what's a Jow Forums approved extension to translate pages?

Attached: 1536386711281.png (374x535, 177K)

is there any feasible way to install an operating system and set up an ssh server (or other service to use the system) without any sort of video out?

I have a chinese ereader thing I'm trying to load books on using linux
It mounds like a usb device but I don't have write permissions
I tried
sudo mount -o remount,rw /dev/sde ~/mount/5
sudo mount -o remount,rw ~/mount/5
but still can't copy books on to it

plant u fukken hippy

Install and setup everything on a second computer, and move the drive to your headless one

is it possible to build a computer inside of a computer?

>simple answer: YES
elaborate. what do you mean?

What's some software I could install on a Linux server to get graphs with network/cpu/memory utilization? Preferably accessible through a browser.

How exactly do I change WMs or DEs? I tried to install xfce and kde on Ubuntu and the result is some kind of Frankenstein os that has bits and pieces of each DE in it. I hate it.

Internet plan advertises x speed let say 100 Mbs. I don't ever see, I get that because ISPs are greedy jews and the fine text says UP TO 100 Mbs.

My stupid question is, if I downgrade my speed to 50 Mbs, will that lower ALL my speeds to 50% or will will just cap my maximum speed?

github.com/aksakalli/gtop
for the browser bit, maybe if you got the smarts you could implement this

So when installing a game that requires you to disable your antivirus, how do you turn it on again without it removing the "virus"?

Is 'raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian stretch Release' down? Can't apt-get update.

What's a decent torrent clinet?
Deluge still or is there a better alternative?

Can I change the function of F1-F12 on Windows 10 so that I can use them to increase/decrease volume or skip to the next track?

Is there a way to remove datacaps on portable hotspots? Failing that, are they still viable purely for online gaming alone? I don't see how 1-2 GBs are supposed to last anyone a month in this day and age.

I like qbittorent myself

Attached: 26b3780164749598be6a043874daa12b.jpg (620x877, 251K)

They are more color accurate but they have lower contrast ratios
also i think that they have less ghosting but it might depend on the monitor

add the game folder to the exceptions in your antivirus

what kind of cpu do i need in a laptop
is dual core good enough?

They actually hacked some database. Absolute madlads. Here's the question. I wonder on which website I had created an account with this password. I stopped using this one many years ago so I don't remember where it could be from.

Attached: IMG_20190205_111300.jpg (720x1280, 225K)

>
haveibeenpwned.com/

I have 16GB ram why is use at 46%?
When I go to performance it say that 7GB is in use?

Attached: Capture.jpg (970x384, 55K)

>Mpgh
I remember making three accounts there because I forgot old passwords, lol.
All of this reminded me I haven't changed my passwords long ago.

Trying to run Tmux in git bash following this guide: blog.pjsen.eu/?p=440

But when i run tmux from the command line i get this output (image) Any ideas what could be happening here? or how to resolve?

Attached: file.png (203x78, 2K)

What about the software side? Defragmentation? Ran malware bytes and Adware to get rid of weird extensions and crap from chrome? Ran Ccleaner?

is it possible to learn Java up until arrays in 8 hours?

Umatrix isnt blocking websites. it is enabled and the icon is in the bar, but when i go to a website, all of the settings arent turned on or off. i checked "my rules" for a whitelist but i only have
* * * block
* * css allow
* * image allow
* * cookie block
* * script block
* * frame block
* 1st-party * allow
* 1st-party frame allow

How do I get a "fresh install" of Windows 10 without losing my key?
I got Windows 7 for free from University when it came out, and I've since updated. If I was to reinstall, I can't give the key, and its not displayed anywhere. And of course I don't have a Windows 10 installer, since I got it as an update.

If a post card shows -12v, +3.3v, +5v but no others (then they turn off, although -12v lingers a bit longer), what does it mean.

Attached: 39c.jpg (640x659, 40K)

How do I arbitrarily pause a thread in C# without using Suspend, since that is deprecated?
I have a long running task on background thread that I want to stop or resume at will.
Everyone is telling me to use Manual or AutoResetEvent, but this requires the thread to WaitOne(), which defeats the purpose of stopping at "any time".

You can download a free ISO from the windows website, burn that to a USB and you have an installer.

As for key you can just install without one then run a RemoveWAT Activator which will remove the annoying watermarks and you basically have a licensed copy.

What exactly do you mean? Judging by your settings all images and css should be allowed, from both first and third paries. And on the first party site everything should be allowed.
Take a screencap or something.

s there an lightweight alternative for task coach?

There are no green or red solid boxes in the ui
This is how all websites are being displayed in the ui

Attached: Untitled.jpg (529x431, 39K)

Kek it's literally disabled.
See that asterisk at the top next to the domain name?
Click that one. Then press the "on" button.
Red = off
Blue = on
Remember to save it.

How can it be disabled though? Shouldnt it follow the rules list?
Why is it disabled on every domain but there is nothing in the "My rules" section?

It's at the top of your filter list. The part you cut out of your screenshot.
See that? The second one.
You literally turned it off.
If it was on you probably wouldn't be able to post since referrer spoofing breaks the captcha.

Attached: scrot.png (440x352, 12K)

I bought a pre-owned monitor and got this wall mount for free. It has some sort of spacer though that I can't understand which purpose it fills. Is it necessary for curved monitors? The one I bought was a curved uw but I plan on using the wall mount on a different (flat) screen.

It was pre-installed to the base itself by the previous owner but I don't know if that's the default or if he just screwed it on for easier handling. Anyway, what is the purpose for it? Can I just remove it and install my monitor directly to the "backplate" itself? The product images for the wall mount are all displayed without the additional box, spacer or whatever I should call it.

Attached: 20190204_190516.jpg (4032x3024, 2.33M)

>Shutdown System
>92s
How the fuck am I supposed to track this down, Windows-fags?

Attached: wtfwindows.png (706x232, 15K)

How do you export passwords in firefox quantum?

Can dog hairs cause problems inside a PC case? Such as a short circuit or something similar

Not a short, As hair is not conductive, But a lot of it could build up and cause fires if exposed to hot components.

So, about DNS alternatives.

Is 1.1.1.1 a meme? I can't exactly tell the difference but I haven't taken notice different times of day and so on to be conclusive about it. I live in northern europe as that probably factors in a lot.

I get "Could not execute menu item (internal error) [Exception] Could not execute run action: The system cannot find the file specified." when I try to use Wamp. How can I solve this?

How can I access Jow Forums on Clover but not my desktop? Either the page wont load at all or it gives 403 error.

I'm trying to pin down what's wrong with a PC, so it was shutting down randomly, the PSU was quite new, just over 2 months old. Temperatures seemed alright, the CPU cooler is an evo 212 and its fan was quite loud, however Coretemp and HWINFO were saying the CPU was ranging from 41C to 67C at most while under load. The PC wasn't used for weeks, then after changing its thermal paste it started to work fine for a week until today, where another random shutdown happened. Is it likely for the temperature sensors to be wrong, or is the overheating theory busted at this point?

I'm not sure if the paste did anything or not having used the PC for a while was the reason why it was performing alright. The evo 212's cooler is much quieter now at least.