Why do people bother seeding torrents at all...

Why do people bother seeding torrents at all? The only circumstance I can see it making sense is when you have unlimited and free bandwidth such as at a college. Otherwise it seems like a very bad form of altruism.

Attached: Sharing-Character.png (822x532, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ncase.me/trust/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

when you turn 12 you learn about this thing called the social contract

You ever stumble upon a torrent that you download for days/weeks? A really rare shit that matters to you? Well that's when you start realizing the value of seeding, my child

Why not? It doesnt harm me any way and makes someone elses life better.

i dont seed because im not in any private trackers

I don't know in what bandwidth starved hellhole you're living in, but I don't mind some of the bandwidth going to supporting the Linux distros and other things that I use.

We don't have traffic caps or such here, and internet speeds are pretty fast, and my ISP gets paid to provide me this... so why should it be bad to do this?

I *really* wouldn't prefer to save, say $10 returned to me from the ISP for not using as much data if it ruins fast access to data in the communities I'm in. Never mind this is not going to happen anyhow.

/thread

I remember a professor of mine once said that it was magical the fact the something like public trackers could work.

I make good money but I don't give to any kind of charity so I seed my torrents to help me sleep at night

Your professor is delusional.

Why does he think he can do any science? That part of the world isn't built around people keeping their understanding maximally secret so they can possibly benefit, either.

And IDK where you live, but here people took pride in placing public fountains and public benches for free use by anyone, and so on.

He was just a CS professor, probably not the brightest person.

(cont'd)
Furthermore, does he expect people to ask for payment if you ask them the way to somewhere nearby?
Maybe they go ask who can pay them for opening the door on a kid stuck in a smoking car?
Or before they post moar online?

We're actually (probably genetically) to an extent altruists, it makes us happy to help society.

Even worse delusions then. CS had a *lot* of sharing and volunteers offering help and so on all along.

You shouldn't need to self sacrifice just to feel good at night. In many ways following your own interest is better for everyone else anyway, which is why Africa is still a horrid place despite billions of dollars from charities. Also why I don't understand the altruism with seeding in particular when it arguably makes media harder to make money with.

But it does, if you live in the many places where Bandwidth isn't free.

If you can't afford to seed you can't afford to dl.

If you can't afford to seed you can't afford to buy food. Egoism btfo.

Not relevant to why anyone would want to seed.

i quit seeding years ago, waste of time

When you stop existing for the sake of others you realize that you don't get anything out of handing free things to randoms.

Only for very small files like PDFs, which doesn't take much bandwidth at all unlike people who seed gigabytes of movies to hundreds of people.

>download file
>stop seeding
>other person wants file
>no seeds

>other person downloads file
>stops seeding
>you want file
>no seeds
>why is this happening to me!!!

>Not having unlimited bandwidth
Such is life in 3rd world countries, unlimited data plans are a thing you know

And yet, continuing to seed in that scenario still doesn't help me get the file at all. Or in any way at all.

Because I need to keep my ratio up

>The norm of reciprocity, sometimes referred to as the rule of reciprocity, is a social norm where if someone does something for you, you then feel obligated to return the favor.

The point is, is that if everyone had that mindset torrents would die overnight

Apart from the problem with loosing reciprocity and viability of a community, it's a pretty damn absurd way to conserve money. What do you even save, $5 on your internet contract? 10 seconds a week on quicker website loading times?

[And now you got to deal with the trash internet rather than the community internet - ten clicks until you can download a Linux ISO, and crap ads everywhere.]

this, in fact it takes more effort to NOT seed, if it doesn't affect your bandwith it's a no brainer

some manifestations of autism deeply affect social cues, so the user you're replying to won't be able to understand this

Most public torrents are dead after a few days.

>why do people do nice things that cost them nothing

Not sure man, theyre not smart like us

because it's a moral thing to do

Gay

because if they didnt, it wouldnt fucking work..?

Here in Denmark we have a completely different tribe mentality. We take a lot of pride in this one for all and all for one mentality we kept for thousands of years.
I mean, maybe complete opposite works for your people but it doesn't seem sustainable in the long term.

Attached: hyggeRIP.jpg (1774x1258, 1.47M)

Reciprocal relationship allows me to have all the media in the world at my fingertips for incredibly small sacrifice of seeding. It's the power of community and union. It shows that together we are stronger. If we applied this to collective negotiations, we'd have better workplaces and cheaper drugs, for example.

Attached: 1548001728951.jpg (1010x897, 68K)

We live in a society.

Sharing is caring faggot

You don't have unlimited bandwidth? I'm from a 3rd world country and my connection doesn't have a quota.

You have it backwards, the third wold has unlimited bandwidth and no copyright isp meme shit meanwhile cucked areas like the US and Europe have all that jewish shit.

redundancy

>is when you have unlimited and free bandwidth
that fact that you even have to consider "unlimited bandwidth" as a rare circumstance is fucking hilarious
'murricans are just a bunch of cucks that are take whatever their ISP forces down their assholes

I have all that without seeding you dense fuck. I don't seed because I use the internet to download shit 24/7 and seeding makes my connection slower. That's it. If my upload speed did not effect my downloading speed at all I'd seed everything in sight

op if you are still confused this simple game might help
ncase.me/trust/

This.
The USA is the internet 3th world. Monthly bandwidth caps and corporste control over legislatio and all you consume
Most of EU dont have bandwidth caps, but have corporate control over legislation and copyright shit
Most shitholes dont have bandwith caps and doesn't care if you download pirated shit. But this could be a problem related to big ISP too. I live in a shithole, and i know that the big ISP have shit service, hiden tax and shit, so i opted for a small, local ISP, shit is great, great service, no caps(there where months i downloaded 1tb) and i pay a lot less than on the bigger ones and for more speed. I have friends that basically have torrenting and/or downloading big files because they use a shit big ISP(that may or may not cap torrent speeds, no proof of that until today, but there are a lot of shit that indicates that it is true)

I've had unlimited bandwidth for as long as I've had internet service.
I pay for it regardless and my machine stays on 24/7 anyway for my own services so there's no additional electrical use given all the components are in use.

I see no reason not to seed. If I don't I'm simply not utilizing an unlimited resource I have access to, for no actual reason.
Seeding at the very least benefits people who share the same interests as me.

Hate*

Are you seriously larping as an American?

data caps dont really exist outside north america

exactly
just use ipfs

you'd also have less workplaces and less drugs to go around

IPFS is P2P too though. It depends on some node hosting the data just like BitTorrent. It's just better about how it swarms peers which is probably why it seems like you seed less often. It's the "race to idle" pattern but for distributed networking. Since same files are guaranteed to have the same hash you connect to everyone that has that file so it goes from 0% to 100% as fast as possible and may never require connecting to you in that time because you're not the fastest/closest. With bittorrent same files are not always guaranteed to have the same chunking patterns so even if 2 people have the same file they may never connect to each other because they're in different swarms. But it's still very similar.

Africa is a horrible place because it's inhabitants seek primarily their own individual interests (extending to family members) instead of thinking about society.

Why don't you idiots stay on >>Jow Forums? Africa has dealt with centuries of colonization by europeans

While there's nothing wrong with most charities, relief funds in particular are often ironically harmful. It's very important that natives figure out a way to rejuvenate their own country or they will be in this dependency cycle forever. Much like Africa.

But I have extremely fast, unlimited internet at home.

it's easier to set up an rss auto downloader for torrents than it is to subscribe to 31241 streaming services for all the shit you want. seeding ensures redundancy if your hard drive dies, for example.

>the absolute state of burgers
countries with nn doesn't have this problem

this times 10

So has almost the whole world

>arguably makes media harder to make money with
It should be harder to make money with media. The current practices are very anti-consumer in a lot of marketplaces. It's only recently that people have turned this around.

>almost every market
>have the ability to evaluate a product for some arbitrary amount of time
>if you don't like it for any reason you can return it for a refund

>media
>pay before you can evaluate it
>despite it being a non-tangible infinite resource it's treated as a consumable
>no refunds if you don't like it

>food which is literally consumable
>if you don't like it you don't pay for it

I am glad to see the rise of thingsl ike bandcamp and patreon. Where people pay what they think something is worth, and in the case of bandcamp can evaluate something first as they should be able to. How else do you determine value? That shouldn't be in the hands of the producer.

Hobbies are hobbies, if you like to make media that's fine but the expectation everyone has these days that they have to make money doing something they enjoy is preposterous.
Especially today where it's infinitely cheaper to produce and distribute media worldwide.
People did this for free in their spare time when it was expensive, and now it's practically free and people demand they be paid highly so they can enjoy their hobby 24/7.

Attached: le trash man.jpg (850x400, 76K)

Germany here. While it's true our isps are garbage I nonetheless have literally never heard of bandwidth caps here outside of mobile phone contracts. Please inform yourself user.

It's very simple.
Torrenting is communism.
In communism, you have to put in the work without incentive or the whole thing collapses.

I should clarify too that this shouldn't be misconstrued as something that only benefits those on a tight budget. The thing I hate the most is seeing bad producers profit unfairly. When producers get rewarded even when consumers feel like they don't deserve it.
This takes the money from the consumer and puts it in the bad producers hands, when instead it should be returned to them so that it may be spent on something deserved.

>sorry indie music man, I like what I've heard of you but I already spent my money on the latest mainstream album and even though I think Drake's verse was trash, there's nothing I can do about it, they're keeping my money and that's my entire entertainment budget for the week.

Not to mention you CAN get a refund for food, for example if it's rotten or otherwise tainted.

That's what I meant by "if you don't like it you don't pay for it" even after you've consumed it. The business doesn't put the pressure on you for the fault of their A) spoiled stock and/or B) their poor chef
They take responsibility to/as the restaurant.

With media it's almost like the producers are up their own ass and place the blame on you.
>your fault you didn't like it, I liked it.
>>Nah dude, it was TRASH.
Then they get mad.

Because I can't be bothered to go delete the torrent from my client after finishing, and the fucking 0.5-1 MB/s of upload it usually takes at most makes zero difference to me, plus I almost never upload anything else anyway.

>download torrent, open file
>go back to torrent client
>click on torrent
>click on delete
Is a waste of time compared to
>download torrent, open file
???

Attached: 1546868277515.jpg (400x342, 90K)

for the same reason people download stuff, to share information
if nobody seeded, nobody could download
sure, seeding the thing you just downloaded doesn't help you download that thing, but it helps somebody else download it, which from someone else's perspective, could be you

>got a new vps with no bandwidth cap 93 days ago
feels good to finally have some spare bandwidth to give back, man
Total
Started: 19 times
Uploaded: 6.33 TB
Downloaded: 628.1 GB
Ratio: 10.0
Running Time: 93 days

>get my files
>auto-delete after completion
as apposed to
>saturating my connection
>wasting my RAM with it being in my client/CPU/reducing my hard drive's lifespan
>potentially getting DMCA'd
???
there is no need to delete anything manually...

NN has nothing to do with data caps you fucking retard

And they sold each other like cattle the whole while thanks for reinforcing the point

>saturating my connection
How fucking much do you torrent and how puny is your upload?
>wasting my RAM with it being in my client/CPU/reducing my hard drive's lifespan
Fucking ramlets. The only legitimate concern, I guess, if you're on a toaster.
>potentially getting DMCA'd
Fucking ISPlets get cucked lmao. You shouldn't be allowed to download either

not being able to see the world from anthers perspective is a sign of autism, i believe.

unless you use 100/100 24/7 I don't see why you couldn't use some of that bandwidth to share stuff?

because a lot of people dont have data caps and follow the golden rule. this "i got mine" mentality is a rot for society

Attached: The_Golden_Rule.jpg (1577x2060, 822K)

>not wasting
>WOW BUT YOU COULD JUST WASTE WTF
compelling argument

because you want to contribute to a community in hope someone will return the favor for you in the form of files you would like?

Who the fuck doesnt have unlimited bandwith in 2019, poor souls. Ofc you seed.

alright sucks for you then, your point?

I had always unlimited plan. lol murican

>All these people pretending to be good Samaritans while pirating.

Fucking kek. Just delete the file you retards. Nothing worse than someone trying to morally justify their bad actions.

Same reason why you give your old clothes away and help your neighbors.

truly a based site

the man who made the site was a /b/tard who made "the game" flash game series who now dislikes Jow Forums and his old games.

retard

When you move out of America you'll learn that in a civilized country using the internet doesn't cost any more than having the option to use the internet.

The social contract is nonsense. If there were infinite land at aside for those who reject the social contract to go savage, then maybe. But there's no possibility to reject the contract therefore it is not valid.

So... not the US

>unlimited bandwidth at a college
Please tell me which college you're going to that has unlimited bandwidth, so I can rip off their tech and make billions selling infinitely fast internet since clearly they're not trying to capitalise on their breakthrough themselves

>I can see it making sense is when you have unlimited and free bandwidth such as at a college
I have unlimited and free bandwidth at home. The biggest problem with seeding is the storage space, and it's the same on most seed boxes.

This isn't prisoners dilemma. There is no selfish benefit when you seed other than some altruistic feeling which I don't get.

Not everyone is a nigger(yet).

the point is that even though to you there is no advantage to you seeding you should still seed. would you rather everyone seed or no one seed?
and while the situation isnt as black and white as i make it out to be i will say this;
in the end someone has too seed and people may be counting on you to be that someone.

There's no cost either. It's prisoner's dilemma with -1/-1, 0/+1, or +1/+1. I'm pretty sure that still works.

Thank you for this.

>when you have unlimited and free bandwidth such as at a college
Where do you live that you don't have unlimited bandwidth?

>college
Thats the worst place to do it.
They look at your traffic. Students have got in trouble and arrested over torrenting

Because someone else seeded it for me. It would feel like a dick move not to pay it forward.

I also don't have shit internet with a bandwidth quota so the marginal cost of me seeding is precisely $0

No dude, cost is not 0. Cost is low and benefit is great. It's a win-win scenario.