Do you think perhaps a hard drive will have excellent heat "distribution" across its area...

Do you think perhaps a hard drive will have excellent heat "distribution" across its area, because inside there are platters spinning rapidly in air, and the rapidly spinning air will distribute heat across the drive's physical dimension, like watercooling.

So if, eg, you cool one edge of a drive with a good heatsink it will reduce the entire drive's temperature somewhat evenly.

Not sure if I should post this in Jow Forums or /sci/

Attached: dark.jpg (936x1200, 261K)

Most heat comes from the motor spining the disk and the servos moving the arms
I would assume that placing a heatsing across the side on wich they are mounted would be most effective

Cooling one of the edges could make the case colder but not have much effect on the inner components

Sureley the air movement in it distributes heat but dont expect it to be too effective or rely on it for cooling

>Sureley the air movement in it distributes heat but dont expect it to be too effective or rely on it for cooling
BS, the air is spinning at nearly 5 or 7 (or 10) thousand RPM. It will do a huge amount of heat distribution. I don't need to do any calculations to know that.

Attached: hi.jpg (693x689, 76K)

HDDs are in a vacuum you dumb fuck. There's maybe 100 particles of air for every mm^3

KEK

Attached: giphy.gif (493x342, 480K)

is that a crow or a raven?

raven

>Airtight sealed drive with minimal amount of anything inside
>Automatically assume there's heat dispersion.

The ONLY heat dispersion happening is through the housing. There relatively little to no air or huminity inside of the platter. This is absolutely essential to function otherwise there would be very intense forces occuring inside of the housing. The only way it's going to be cooled is by passing air or removing heat from crucial spots on the houses and relatively/effectively nothing else. This is why we have heatsinks attached directly to components, because "muh air movement" is one of the worst arguments ever for direct component cooling. Air movement is a factor in multi component ecosystems, like air flow in a chassis or a server room. Each component needs it's own cooling device, and airflow is used to remove the heat that's removed from components.

how can you tell? The beak, right?

They aren't, even the sealed off ones are at least full of helium. The very point of helium ones is that it's lighter and has less resistance than air when spinning.

Attached: Crows_vs_Raven_FInal-1280x638.jpg (1280x638, 76K)

STOP PRETENDING HARD DRIVES ARE A VACUUM INSIDE

THEY HAVE A FILTER BETWEEN THE INSIDE AND OUTSIDE THAT STOPS ANY PARTICLES OF DUST ENTERING, BUT EQUALISE AIR PRESSURE

AIR IS NECESSARY INSIDE, THE HEADS RIDE ON A LAYER OF RAPIDLY SPINNING AIR TO MAINTAIN THEIR TINY DISTANCE FROM THE PLATTER

Attached: waah.gif (224x313, 1022K)

Raven is the gigachad of crows

>tfw no plain jane goth gf with a pet raven, all i want to do is watch hellraiser and reanimator on marathon and listen to front line assembly.

Don't worry about goth. Look at me. I am the future. Be like me.

Attached: 1586109_13.jpg (560x421, 92K)

That looks shopped

The fact it's literally half the size of her body you basement dweller.

Yea, anyone who leaves their basement occasionally should run into a couple of ravens a day on the way to work. Bloody neckbeards who don't realise what happened to Bruce Lee's son.

What would happen is that the air inside would just be heated evenly and then start transferring heat to the metal casing. Heat sinks aren't going to help. Hard drives don't even get that hot if there's proper air flow in the computer's case.

>gif
The birth of a feminist.

and so begins her life-long hatred of all things that protrude

you look like a faggot

The head heats up quite a bit, I forget if it's due to air friction or due to the read part, but I'll get to how hot further down this post.
Heat distribution doesn't matter too much, but it actually is a good idea to put heat sinks on your hard drive. You know those holes on the hard drive? They're to allow air in or out. You know why? Because the hard drive heats up and air expands and when the drive cools down the air cools down and contracts. The heating and cooling can cause air to exit the drive, then be pulled in. The air can pull in other stuff too, which is why you have the holes so that the air at least has to pass through a filter. Well, there's a funny story about this. It turns out some component in HVAC leaks just a bit, and the heating and cooling cycle can pull that component into the drive, where it reacts with the disk platter, destroying them. I don't remember which disk company had this problem, but it's hopefully fixed now.

So another thing, do not ever let silicone oil get into your hard drive. Why? Because the drive head gets so hot that it converts it into silica, basically sand. Sand on your hard drive head is a very bad day. Some idiots actually made a hard drive factory that used silicone lube in a couple pieces of equipment. They had to shut the whole thing down. Silicone lube just gets everywhere.

I wish I had a domestic raven.

>tfw no мocквичкa goth gf
>tfw no crow-bro