Why is everyone here obsessed with thinkpads? Chromebooks are where it's at

Why is everyone here obsessed with thinkpads? Chromebooks are where it's at.

Attached: chrome os.jpg (275x183, 5K)

I'd get a chromebook if it cost less than a thinkpad.

>no trackpoint
go fuck yourself and your shitty touchpad

>*blocks your path*

Attached: thinkpad x131e.png (640x500, 108K)

expensive + google
might as well get macbook

ARM Chromebooks with only Free as in Freedom software on them > ThinkKekpads

>specs worse than a fucking phone
>overpriced
>(((ARM)))
Fuck off.

>trackpoint autism
I'll never understand you boomers

Attached: 1549353432396.jpg (637x787, 70K)

Nigga I have always loved thinkpads even before I knew they were a meme here, but always hated trackpoint.
This red clitoris looking motherfucker is slow as fuck, is there a way to make it faster?

>what is mouse acceleration for the trackpoint

based

> Chromebooks are where it's at.
> having to fucking chroot
> one keystoke can rm your entire partion on boot

nah cheap macbooks that you have personally repaired running linux is where its "at"

Attached: IMG_6082.jpg (3264x2448, 1.61M)

>>(((ARM)))
>Fuck off.
t. intel user

Is it faster to use trackpoint when coding than mouse?
Never really tried.

>makes remarks over a products software that's chanable
>uses linux on apple hardware
Moot argument.

Once you love it you can't go back

Absolutely, your hands don't have to move all around the place since the clit is right there nicely in the middle.

Though you should obviously be using Vim.

Alright, I'll change the settings now and start flipping that bean. In the long run performance is what I care about the most.

>no standard BIOS
>needs a separate ROM for every single device in existence
>can be permanently bricked
ARM is absolutely dogshit and worse than x86.

>Expensive
$300 for a decent model is expensive to you? I mean there are the stupid models like the Pixel that cost $1100, but there are plenty of options in the sub $350 range. I bought a 2015 Toshiba model for $290
>1080p 13.3" IPS panel
>Intel Celeron 3215U dual core
>4GB ddr3
>16GB mSATA based storage (replaceable)
>MicroSD slot
>3 cell battery that gets 12-14 hours of use per charge

Million times better than any cheap shit laptop you can get with window brand new. Or worse, a used thinkpad that gets sub 4 hours on a 9 cell

I get better performance form T420 for 200$.

Because I can put 32gb ram and 1tb ssd in a $300 thickbad

>Performance
Congrats. You can run the same browser on a far inferior screen for 1/5th the time between charges. Unless you're doing serious programming or VM work, there's literally no benefit of a thinkpad.

t. Guy who owns a clapped out T420, W530, and Chromebook.

>Intel Celeron 3215U dual core
you uh

you know that's why you're getting 14 hours right

Don't fall for it anons

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.png (625x626, 98K)

I was talking about price/performance, a chrome book with good price is more than enough for most college work.
But I won't pay 1K$ for chromebook that can't do what 100$ laptop can.

Exactly. Name a single use for a top tier non U series i7 for mobile computing unless you're doing serious compiling or VM work. This was never an argument against thinkpads or standard laptops. It's against the notion of NEEDING stupidly powerful laptops to shit post here and watch Chinese cartoons. Fucking why.

Also you'd think GNUtards would be thrilled to finally see Gentoo Linux properly utilized.

>>no standard BIOS
That's a good thing. Binary blob free firmware specific to the device. Imagine having a standard firmware, how easy it would be for security agencies to inject their code once and everyone will use it.
>>needs a separate ROM for every single device in existence
No, just for a specific SoC. Each Intel/AMD do that with each chipset version too, you can't use a firmware ROM for another chipset.
>>can be permanently bricked
eMMC flasher. This is Jow Forums, embarrassing if you don't even know about it.

I fell for the chromebook with GalliumOS (ubuntu flavor made for chromebooks) meme before learning about the magic of thinkpads.

If you need something light (this is the key here) and really cheap, then they aren't that
bad.

t. user of a chromebook with galliumos

>ARM is absolutely dogshit and worse than x86.
Also wanted to laugh about this.

Attached: 1549139455048.jpg (500x607, 84K)

If someone is retarded enough to get a chromebook there is no point debating or arguing over it, in the end they don't care about privacy or getting any real work done.
As there is also truth in macs being overpriced for its hardware , the truth is they are also unix based and more secure than winblows.
Thinkpads are still far superior with more secure bios options , good keyboards and easily upgradable shit.

I unironically use a Chromebook, a Samsung Chromebook Plus, more than my i7-8700k desktop or my Thinkpad. A 2 lb, super responsive laptop with great trackpad and no fan is just comfy.

because chrome OS is nonfree software

get galliumos and youve got a fully functional laptop. pic related is my chromebook with galliumos

Attached: desk.png (1920x1080, 1.45M)

There's native Debian layer built in.

because most people here are unemployed kids who latch onto cheap computers and shill them in the hope others will support their inadequacy

>cpu 901mhz
>ram 4gb

We're in 2019 anons have fun getting any real work done on that.
Thought this was Jow Forums not /b/asicbitch

hardware's free.
>coreboot

fast enough for me to get front-end dev done. it's a lightweight laptop meant for light work done. if i need 8+ programs running and firefox with 20 tabs, ill use my desktop computer with 16gb of ram.

No trackpoint no buy.
Seriously. If all the laptops stop having trackpoints one day i'll stop buying laptops. Simple as that.
I refuse to pay out the ass for a chiclet flimsy keyboard, a fragile as fuck laptop that can't stand spilling a glass of water on it for a high drop, and worst of all having to either lug around a mouse and find a surface to use it on (try using an optical mouse in bed, inb4 "use a board" fuck you) or use the godawful trackpads that leave my finger feeling gross rubbing over it non stop just to do basic tasks.
I shouldn't have to whip my wrist back in forth from keyboard to mouse when I'm doing work. Trackpoint is more precise and faster than a touchpad after a day of getting used to, and you absolutely will never go back, unless you are a faggot that carries his little macbook to starbucks everyday hoping some pussy will be impressed and start a chat with him.

Now none of that means I have any issue with chrome os, it's great for low spec laptops. I was tempted to buy one before but there wasn't one with a trackpoint so I bought a new thinkpad, no point installing chromeos instead of windows now.
Cheaper and higher specced than any chromebook on the market btw.

I get where you're coming from , but instead of switching devices all the time get a decent laptop.

kek this
fucking google rim lickers roaming on Jow Forums nowdays got to be careful

the thing is that i fly a lot and usually only go with my carry-on luggage, so a heavy thinkpad isn't that attractive. though I plan on buying one to have at home and to finish the Jow Forums bingo.

Unironically that CPU at that frequency is faster (while being more power efficient) than your 8 year old Intel x86+MMX+SSE+NSA+++++AMD-64

>ram 4gb
GNU/Linux. What are you, a Winfag?

The t480s is like less than 3 pounds what more you want? It to be filled with helium too?

Nobody cares about your autistic screeching. Keep using shitty outdated hardware and thinking in your imaginary bubble that trackpads haven't developed over the past 20 years.

I'm honestly not even saying that you should get a heavy thinkpad though, they are overrated on here even though they're great. Just finding a decent laptop with a nice screen size , good specs and a nice keyboard is all you honestly need , branding being out of the question.

>implying im a winfag
nah macbook fag though , still more secure than winblows and running on unix so im happy , i got my thinkpad t510 for setting up servers and certain linux pentesting shit.

>and running on unix
You're running OpenSolaris?

macos / osx was build upon unix the same as linux thats why porting mac over to linux is easier.

No, they are both POSIX compliant and UNIX like in design.
macOS is actually somewhat related to SysV though, even though I wouldn't' call it a UNIX, Linux is not even related.

>shitty outdated
Aight shitposter go home to twitter!

Can you connect it to a printer?

Technically they're still similar.
I would use Mac over windows though, you can download a package manager , terminal and many terminal programs / packages that are found on linux can be found on mac , example being terminal pentesting tools. overall still is more secure than windows.
not shilling mac I much prefer linux based.

Yeah, I wasn't talking about Windows though.

You weren't
He was

This is the support laptop our company lets us use. It has a trackpoint but I never got the hang of it unless I'm bored as fuck and play around with it.

I just use the trackpad.

Attached: 1525954795894.jpg (1974x2071, 386K)

> Hewlett Packard

it still hurts after all these years...

>how easy it would be for security agencies to inject their code once and everyone will use it
They already do this shit on smartphones.
>Each Intel/AMD do that with each chipset version too
Excuse me but if I download windows 10 or Ubuntu Linux the same fucking iso will work on ANY x86 computer I try to install these on. This doesn't happen if I download an android ROM as it can only be used on a single device.
>eMMC flasher
Literally who.

>supporting anything google

that looks like a comfy shitposting termnial

Just goes to show how many retards lurk.

>Touchpad without buttons
>cheap plastic case like any other sub-300 bucks machine which will self destruct in 2-3 years
On new thinkpads it's indeed garbage.

Trackpoint is too good when you realize how great it is. Can't deal with not having it anymore

Attached: Selection_149.png (760x582, 268K)

>1080p
>dual core cpu
>4gb ram
>16gb internal storage
>sd card expansion

Attached: 1549300113790.gif (540x304, 1.86M)

This. 13" 2013 mba running only Linux is comfy af

You mean the computer that literally does nothing but surf the web, yet costs five times what a Thinkpad does? Funniest joke I've heard all day. Really, these days it seems like the less powerful a computer is, the more expensive it is.

The acer chromebook 14 has a better trackpad than macbooks.

>buttons
You click (or tap) the thing itself, two fingers for right click.

>plastic
It's full aluminium.

>The acer chromebook 14 has a better trackpad than macbooks.
>better than absolute garbage
Great. By the way, macbooks use the same synaptics clickpad cancer that literally every other manufacturer also uses.

macbook trackpads in macOS are leagues above anyone else

It's just the software. But clickpads absolutely suck when you are used to the privilege of dedicated touchpad mouse buttons.

The absolute opposite for me. Especially since most laptops have unusable tiny trackpads that are not really responsive.

I'm used to fast small trackpads
You're used to slow giant clickpads

Chromebooks are cool if u want a light linux box but you cant totally free them since they have hardware flaws and im pretty sure they can easily be hacked. Plus they dont have cool thinkpad keyboards

I bought one for my parents. With an actual OS installed it's a decent internet laptop.
I still wouldn't switch from a thinkpad, unless there's a chromebook with non-meme keyboard layout and trackpoint or trackpoint-like implement.

>Once you love it you can't go back
I have two thinkpads, those clits are shit

if you're used to using it it's about as fast as using a trackpad. the speed comes from not having to take your hand off the home row to switch between typing and mousing.

Clearly you don't love it then. It's not for everyone.

too hard to run loonix

If they made those chromebooks use Windows they would sell like hot cakes.

hp stream or some
i dont think that 4GB of ram and 32GB of storage on windows is a good idea

can gallium work on chromebook r13? im not sure if its supported bu i want the dual boot option

Google had the opportunity to make proper Linux on the laptop happen, but they decided to make Chrome crap. Developer mode doesn't count.

those already exist for years

My AC14 trackpad is ass. The perimeter of the trackpad registers touches less often than I would expect.

Hey Fellas,

I was going to get a Pinebook but I'm not hearing anything back after registering for a voucher.

I want something that can be recharged with a portable battery or solar charger. Being able to light-weight web dev work would be a bonus, too.

Shitposting aside, is Chromebook a viable option for this? I love Thinkpads, but I'm not sure those power-hungry suckers could meet my use-case.

Thanks in advance. For all the shit-talking, I love you guys.

pinebook same shit as chromebook but 300x better

Why would you use any tracking device at all when coding?

why are An*Mefags so retarded

ARM is even more botnet than x86, though.

This.

>dirt cheap
>nub
>AMD
Too bad about the chicklet keyboard because otherwise it’s great.

I like my chromebook a lot. It has a debian container and can run android apps. It's very comfy to use... it wasn't expensive and works really well.

I don't actually share all that much with Google anyway so I'm not too worried. It's like one of the best linux desktops I've ever used.

What sucks is this conversation... No one has the perfect answer yet everyone act like their choice is the best and only way to compute.

From a tech-perspective, chromebooks are interesting tech in this day and age - whether you want to use them yourself or not.

If all you can do is disagree with the intelligence of supporting one sports team over the other you should fuck off.

This is an interesting topic, but the quality of comments is a fucking disgrace.

I am using one. The Toshiba chromebook 2 can be flashed to coreboot, and all the hardware is supported. The batterylife is like 10 hours.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-02-05 17-12-06.png (877x482, 79K)

Chromebooks are genuinely comfy. I kinda miss mine a little bit. Those keyboard shortcuts are god-tier. Performance is garbage, though.

Chromebooks don't need trackpoints because the touchpads are good enough to compete with MacBooks.

ChromeOS is based on gentoo so they're obviously based

Was in the exact same situation as this user Went full in on chromebook meme with galliumOS and it worked surprisingly well (bought an acer chromebook 14 for like $250 or something).
Then I decided to give the thinkpad meme a try and bought an x220 for $120, and I've been blown away by how much better it is. It's more durable, has better performance, and way more storage. Downsides are the weight, slightly worse battery life, and screen.
If you're just looking for a laptop for basic school shit and word processing a chromebook will serve you alright, but the thinkpad will be better.

>using google products voluntarily in the year of our lord 2019

I've got one of these and a T420. It's a great little machine that has a pretty strong casing.

Acer

Attached: acer.png (2518x1024, 291K)

There has yet to be a Chromebook that beats the Acer C720.
Until there is one with equivalent specs, a replaceable hard drive and a 1080 IPS screen there is no reason to buy abother

kek, didn't even think about that. I paid less for my memepad than a used chromebook