>Example gaming builds; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on some MSI mobos)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 8700/K or i7 9700K - Extreme setup with RTX 2080/Ti
>R7 2700/X or i9 9900K - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000CL15 or 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>8GB RX 570, RX 580, and GTX 1060 are standard choices
>RTX 2060 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>RTX 2060 is standard
>RTX 2080 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 is standard
>RTX 2080Ti is better for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless
>rentry.co/pcbg-more

prev

Attached: 1478549978707.jpg (1248x1080, 690K)

Other urls found in this thread:

de.pcpartpicker.com/product/Bj8Zxr/noctua-case-fan-nfr8redux1800pwm
de.pcpartpicker.com/product/M6vZxr/be-quiet-pure-wings-2-120-870-cfm-120mm-fan-bl039
de.pcpartpicker.com/product/4GsKHx/be-quiet-case-fan-bl047
de.pcpartpicker.com/product/Z4DJ7P/iiyama-prolite-xub2792qsu-b1-270-2560x1440-70hz-monitor-xub2792qsu-b1
de.pcpartpicker.com/product/yhtWGX/asus-monitor-mx25aq
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

fuck anime and FUCK generals

>3000CL15 or 3200CL16 is ideal
I saw in a previous thread that AMD just kicks it to CL16 anyway, is there truth to this?
Also, I'll repost from previous thread because If fucked up and didn't go to the bottom of the thread.
Could I get some opinions on getting 32GB of RAM as someone that doesn't even really need even 16GB?
Found a kit for sale for about $170 USD at a local shop, it's 3000MHz and timings of 16-18-18-38

I accidentally bumped the gpu plug that was in the on board slot. Now it won't post. What do?

Any decent budget set of exhaust and intake fans? Looking for one of each

just buy noctua

I said decent and budget, not really good and pricey, but thanks anyways

i'm using a 2x8gb g.skill kit running at 3000mhz cl15, no problems and didn't noticed my rig mess with ram timings either.
16gb is good for gaming and general browsing, and not bad either for most workloads. for heavier shit and vm work 32gb might be better depending on how demanding your workload actually is
3000mhz cl16 is not bad either, slightly worse than cl15 but not a dealbreaker by any means

I want to use a wireless mouse to operate my PC from the couch for watching streams on my TV. Distance between PC and couch table is ~4.5m. Turns out the chinkshit mouse I ordered from Amazon was not up to the job (it had an actual distance of 0.5m - "up to 15m" was interpreted very loose, fucking chinks).

Now I'm looking for a cheap mouse that gets the job done. It doesn't need to be anything fancy (although a Return button would be nice), just not too expensive and it must work.

Any suggestions?

Attached: netflix & chill.jpg (613x598, 37K)

Is a 1440p monitor a bad idea for a 1060 6GB GPU? Looking around for a new monitor and struggling to settle for one. I'd like 120-144hz 1-5ms response and 27-32" screen, and either 1080p or 1440p. Don't want to shoot myself in the foot with 1440p if it isn't a good idea.

help

what plug are you talking about, the 16x pcie slot?

whats your budget per fan? like max youre willing to spend

Let's say 12€ per fan

I'm a cheapskate but I'm replacing case fans for a relatively cheap case.

No, the build doesn't have a gpu yet but i was testing the post so i hooked the monitor to the onboard gpu via hdmi. Bumped that plug pretty bad and the monitor instantly lost signal and now it really won't post or even get a signal. Tried to reseat ram and reset the battery but that did nothing. Plugged in my old 7850, because fuck taking out the 970 i got in this PC and killing it with a potentially faulty pci-e slot.

you can still set your games to 1080p even if you have a 1440p 120+hz monitor
think of it as future proofing for when you buy a card that can fully support it

these are probably the best fans you can get for that price if youre looking for small 80mm fans
de.pcpartpicker.com/product/Bj8Zxr/noctua-case-fan-nfr8redux1800pwm

if you want 120mm, these are the best youll get

de.pcpartpicker.com/product/M6vZxr/be-quiet-pure-wings-2-120-870-cfm-120mm-fan-bl039

if you want 140mm, same version but bigger

de.pcpartpicker.com/product/4GsKHx/be-quiet-case-fan-bl047

Can you recommend a good 2K IPS monitor, with VESA support and thin bezels, around 200-300 € (eurocuck) ? It's for a double monitor setup

Pure Wings 2 are quite cheap here so I'll go with those. Many thanks.

de.pcpartpicker.com/product/Z4DJ7P/iiyama-prolite-xub2792qsu-b1-270-2560x1440-70hz-monitor-xub2792qsu-b1

70hz and has freesync, wa la

if you want even thinner bezels, get
de.pcpartpicker.com/product/yhtWGX/asus-monitor-mx25aq
its a worse monitor than the one above though

Thanks, I'll look into those. I've never heard of this brand

Can someone here help me I have the Be Quiet Silent Wings 3 and theres 2 fitting options, anti vibration ones or hard plastic fittings, which should i pick????

Anywhere from 500 to 700 would be fine.

>or i9 9900K
>>i7 8700/K or i7 9700K - Extreme setup with RTX 2080/Ti
>GTX 1060
>RTX 2060
>RTX 2060
>RTX 2080
>RTX 2080 is standard
>RTX 2080Ti is better for 4K but expensive
hello pajeet shill.

should i go for a ryzen 5 2600 instead of a 2600x? I don't really care about OC and i want to pair it with 16gb of RAM and a GTX 1060 6gb. I should add that i'm going to use it for gaymes at 1080p

Tell me, /pcbg/, how fucked am i?

Attached: tenor.gif (220x165, 12K)

Is MSI RTX2070 Armor good? It's the cheapest I can find here and reviews seem good.

fuck YOU

2600x is shit and in no way worth $40 more than the 2600

It's literally impossible for the X to be "shit" compared to the non-X.
If money is little to no object then it is the superior option, especially when uncomfortable with or having no interest in OCing as that poster implied.

The value proposition varies per person.
The cost effectiveness is what suffers.

It runs hotter and has 50% higher tdp for 0.3ghz extra boost if you are lucky.
It trully is shit.

Oh no!

it's pretty good
just pray that you're not getting one with coilwhine

>tdp
the horror

have you tried a different cord? also try with 1 stick of ram each time and see if it works

Alrighty, was just worried is it gonna be kinda shitty like the Pascal ones. Will go with it!

What should be the first things I do after installing windows on a new system? Someone give me a quick and dirty check list pls

update

Since this is the closest existing thread:
Im looking for a cheap laptop that
1) Is linux friendly
2) Less than 14"
3) Is less than $300

Anything like that exist? Im looking to replace my bulky mobile workstation since all my number crunching got offloaded to a cluster.

A thin and light Chromebook

The cord is fine since i'm using it with my main setup. Can't pull out ram sticks without removing the fuckhueg cpu cooler. Whats really pissing me off is that i basically need a duplicate set of components to figure out the faulty part.

Doesnt even meet criteria 1

Is the pro version of barracudas worth it? There’s a pro 6gb or a non-pro 8gb both for $300. Is the 5yr warranty worth it?

>Doesnt even meet criteria 1
Yes it does?

update windows, update drivers, disable telemetry if you havent done so, make file types unhidden, go to bios and overclock your ram via xmp if you have ram that supports it, i also like to set custom fan speeds but you dont really need to mess with it

The die on my GPU looks a little bit scratched by the cooler. After cleaning all the thermal paste, there's a line that looks like it has thermal paste on, but I'm certain it's not as I tried to clean that shit (unless isopropyl alcohol isn't good for it, I think I did as best as I could) and that wouldn't come off at all. The GPU still works perfectly fine, but my question is: should I be really worried about this shit? first time I opened that cooler and that happened, but it's weird that it would be overtightened on arrival, if that was the case.

Chromebooks are not linux friendly, you have to do a bunch of silly hacks to get outside of chromeos

*The installation isn't friendly

Yeah and thus does not fit criteria 1.
"You can technically put linux on it" is not "linux friendly"

Never said technically.

Thanks user. So far I’ve
>updated windows
>downloaded drivers for my gpu
>boosted ram to XMP profile
Fans I mucked around with in bios a bit but didn’t do much, just set exhausts to max and left cpu aio to smart fan curve. I’m assuming telemetry and file types is a w10 thing I’ll need to google to figure out how to do.

Anything else I’m missing? I also need to flash my bios but I’be never done that before, don’t you have to DL the flash onto a USB and then do it in bios?

>I also need to flash my bios but I’be never done that before
dont do that if youre bios is fine for you, the manufacturers of your mobo will tell you the same thing in your manual, its pretty risky, especially if you dont have dualbios

Shut the fuck up

List your reasons to avoid Intel and/or nvidia even though they have better gaymimg performance

Anyone here who actively refuse to buy from said companies?

How do I stop buying retro pc hardware?

Attached: PROD-Adolf-Hitler-whrend-einer-Rede.jpg (615x409, 40K)

Then I'll give you a generic answer:
Pick any Intel Celeron N if you want Facebook power and a long battery in a small form factor under $300

Is it worth the hassle to go for a used 1080 instead of just getting a 2060, assuming they're priced similar? 1080 I'm looking at has warranty until mid 2020.

AMD is better for multitask programs, streaming, blender rendering etc. Intel is better for gaming but its also better for heavy frequency programs, such as adobe premier, its also better for music production as theres a higher delay with AMD cpus than Intel cpus, so find out what you want to do and go from there
as for nvidia imo i dont really see a reason to get an AMD gpu unless youre deciding between a 1060/580, to which you should get a 580. There was more reason to get amd gpus last year because of freeysnc monitors, but now that that works with nvidia (mostly) theres not a huge reason to get it currently

>they have better gaymimg performance
This isn't /v/, seems like reason enough.

how long can you use a PSU before it gets risky?
i've been using mine since 2012

99% of people here build for gayming, dumbass

>give reason
>NO DOESN'T COUNT

Until dust kills it or the fan stops working

Been using mine since 2007

neato
thanks

So the bios out of the box should be fine? If that’s the case I’ll just leave it as is, even though I do have dual bios/flashback button

A good PSU? 10-15 years. A shitty PSU? Anything from 3 months to 5 years.

A good indication is the warranty. If it's a long ass warranty, you know that at least you're guaranteed something that's long lasting. Some PSUs nowadays have a good 10 year warranty so you can kinda expect them to live for longer. The fan longevity is something to look for, as that's what tends to die earlier, but some of those motherfuckers can last.

In any case, check your voltages regularly and if you notice that they're not quite right and dropping rapidly within a year or two, you know that shit is not going to work well. Also keep the dust away if possible, if you mount the PSU at the bottom with the fan facing down, make sure there's a good filter there and you clean that shit.

Some more info:
Dude wants 380€ for an EVGA 1080 SC including paypal fee and shipping.
I could get a 2060 for 375€ but it comes with a 20€ steam voucher and either Anthem or BFV which I could flip for some cash too, bringing the total cost down by like 40-50€. I'd essentially be paying an extra 60ish€ for a used GPU and a couple of extra frames.

The evga G3 look to be the psu to get rn, coming with 10yr warranty and an eco mode to help fan longevity

Price, my man. Some people want to play games without paying a fucking fortune for what sometimes might not be worth it. The stupidest thing is to waste more than $1500 on a machine which is only really good for videogames.

>and a couple extra frames
You really answered your own question. If it was a 1080ti I’d go with it but just a 1080 doesn’t seem worth it. Either argue him down to 340-350 or get the 2060.

That's a good one definitely. I bought a Riotoro Enigma G2 which is a rebranded seasonic focus plus gold, also manufactured by them. Same 10 year warranty, same mode. Can't go wrong with any of these.

yeah it's so stupid that people have different taste than you.

Yeah I know, buying iPhones is just a matter of "taste" I guess.

Hello retard

Hey can /pcbg/ help me with a question, my Optical Drive i installed is very, very slightly misaligned, the only way i can tell is if i look to the left most corner of it, i cant see anything, but if i look at the right side of it, i can see a tiny bit of light coming out of it. Is this ok? its barely visible and screwed in, will this cause a problem later down the line? thanks

Go back in time and don't get vaccinated.

I fucked up and bought the 3000rpm noctua fans and running them any higher than 1500rpm is unbearable

Should I keep them as my 2x 140mm intake or should swap to 3x 120mm

if theyre truly unbearable i believe i found out the answer to your problem user

Good thing I'm not running them at unbearable levels you reader rabbit denying fuck

mainly I don't know the efficiency of two 140s vs three 120s in both air movement and running fans at full speed versus half

>mainly I don't know the efficiency of two 140s vs three 120s
ive ran two 140mm and 3 120mm before and the difference in temps is negligible
full speed vs half is dependent on a lot of things, like if you do heavy OC or live in a hot environment, and how sensitive you are to noise

AMD usually has better price/perf and the consoles are AMD, so you're pretty much guaranteed that support will get better and better. I don't refuse to buy Intel or Nvidia, but I like supporting the underdog.

>but I like supporting the underdog.
That just means you're whipped. Should have dropped that sentence from your post.

Let AMD fend for themselves.

anyone? :/

no the whole computer is fucked because a slight gap between plastic and aluminum you fag

I don't know about case fans but in AIO radiator configuration 2x140 is much nicer then 3x120 mm imo simply because it's almost the same area covered but with a much more manageable package.

how about you show us a pic? doesn't amtter ; if it works now it'll work in 10 years

ty ty

But it looks like shit

Is it a good idea (in the case that it's even possible) to build a sort of pseudoNAS with a raspberry pi and a couple of external HDDs while running ubuntu server?

it doesnt look that bad

wat do? i think i have 2 choices now: either order a replacement board and hope that's all it takes or call up a fucking repair shop and shell out like 250-300 bucks. help?

The general idea is good but you don't want to use an rpi, they are absolutely awful for NASing due to shared bandwidth between Ethernet and usb, and the usb is slow. There are other SoC systems much more appropriate, like having non-bottleneck SATA ports.

I just bought this for a friend. I also got him a used Dell Optiplex with an i5-3470 and 8 gb's of ram.
It's an RX 570 (8gb) and it cost me around 160€. (not the best price, but it's alright)
Will a 500W PSU be enough for this setup? I'd like to give my friend a solid low-midrange PC with a fresh Windows install and not have to bother with OCing or undervolting the GPU.
Will a 500W PSU be enough? Is something like a a Cooler master MasterWatt 550 (55€)good enough or should I just get a 60€ low-end Seasonic?

Attached: rx 570.jpg (800x800, 69K)

For 1080p definitely the 2060. For 1440p it's more debatable because of the extra 2GB of VRAM, but probably still the 2060 because 6GB isn't a limitation yet and the 2060 will have a much longer warranty

500w is plenty.

>There are other SoC systems much more appropriate
Such as? My original idea was to simply buy a mini ITX motherboard and build my own NAS, but then I thought that the rpi idea would be more minimal.

It's enough, check the consumption on pc part picker or similar websites.

>recommending the RTX 2060
For fuck's sake, it's expensive as shit for any realistic gaymen applications. Get the RX 580 or go all in and get the RTX 2070. I mean, that 6 GB VRAM is literally right there; Nvidia's not hiding it. It's a big flashy neon sign that says "DON'T BUY ME".

>350 dollars
>expensive

2070 is literally the worst price/perf card while 2060 is one of the top