Face it - it will never compete with Windows or macOS...

Face it - it will never compete with Windows or macOS. You can list all the shitty alternatives to productivity software that you'd like, but the fact is if they were any good they'd be used professionally. You think enterprises want to pay for Windows and Office licenses, Adobe subscriptions, and all this other expensive shit? Of course they don't. But they do, because the FOSS versions can't compete.

Attached: linux-logo.jpg (430x316, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=njos57IJf-0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sorry, kid, but the contest is between macOS and GNU. No one who does any real work bothers with that Windows non-POSIX crap.

Keep telling yourself that. Everyone knows POSIX is a meme only needed in very specific use cases.

>muh enterprise office suite
lol
Loonix will stay dominant in server shit.

You're right, but that's all it will ever dominate

Firstly Linux is in a great place right now. Secondly corporates pretty much only use non free software for someone to blame and call to fix shit when they fuck things up.

What about phones?
All programming jobs?

unironically this.
the less they have to troubleshoot their chosen software suites, the better. it's worth all the money in the world to a big business.

As much as I love how Linux respects efficiency and privacy, it's pretty shit in terms of support. Sure you can use WINE as a work around, but that has its issues as well. It doesn't make economical sense for companies to develop software natively to Linux.

That's not to say that it's bad though, it's a great operating system; however, every OS has a purpose.

OS-wise Red Hat provides support
But program-wise shit just doesn't compete

>What about phones?
Not competing with Windows or macOS. Also will lose its phone market share when Fuchsia launches
>All programming jobs?
You can achieve all you need out of Linux for programming jobs with WSL.

>You can do programming job with Linux subsystem
So you still need Linux for a job.

It will replace Windows in corporate once companies start doing what RH does for desktop at a reasonable price. Calling to fix shit is what companies need because that's how they handle internal incidents.

Nope, you don't *need* it 99.9% of the time, I get by just fine programming without it
If you come across a very rare instance where something just won't work on Windows without it, you don't have to switch to a whole Linux system to get it working

>when Fuchsia launches
And when is that?

>only needed in very specific use cases
like the worlds servers and supercomputers?

Android app support was added to the codebase recently so I'd guess within the next year or 2

I'd like you to list good alternatives for software I regularly use on Linux. Like package managers, tiling window manager, robust terminals, fusefs(mounting ssh, ftp, mtp locations in file system), ssh, dmenu, gnome-pie, pulseaudio(I want to be able to specify output device for each application separately when I'm streaming), etc.

When my Arch breaks and doesn't boot, it's super easy to just read Wiki or ask on forum as last resort.
When my windows breaks and doesn't boot and magic wizard can't solve it, it's fucking nightmare to fix it without reinstalling whole system. Practically no one can help you unless you have one of well known bugs.

Compete? Linux dominates everything but the desktop market that is getting obliterated by Linux-running smartphones.

Anyone would prefer to take control over the world's major stock markets or the internet that Linux runs over your Adobetrash painting software desktop machine, I think.

>No one who does any real work bothers with that Windows
Good luck finding a workstation, let alone a server, using macOS

Attached: 0914.png (645x729, 179K)

Who gives a fuck? It works perfectly fine for me. I don't care what operating systems other people use and neither should you

All Linux needs is a good logo. Let's make a logo!

Yeah, nice bait my man.
I currently use linux daily as a dev.
There are some who use either windows or mac, but they're always at a disadvantage

>When my windows breaks
Made worse by the fact that even if Microsoft does have a support page for your specific error case, the solution offered by some third worlder support guy is always to reinstall Windows entirely.

While OpenSUSE gives for FREE solution that works, and is not complete reinstall.

>package managers
chocolatey
>tiling window manager
Meme but there are a bunch, bug.n, AquaSnap
>robust terminals
cmder
>fusefs
WinFsp
>ssh
Built in but PuTTY works too
>dmenu
Haven't heard of this before but it looks like a program launcher? Literally just use Win+R and add shit to path
>gnome-pie
Also don't know shit about this but RadialMenu seems similar
>pulseaudio
Built in

RedHat only provides support for the OS, not the applications you run on it. If your company is using some office suite or something similar to Microsoft Exchange and it shits the bed you're out of luck. RedHat can't help you.

>i just said that
Sorry I can't fucking read today

Whatever you say, slave.

Reminder: Linux has taken over pretty much any computing, besides desktop PCs which are mainly used by retards who barely can use a computer.

This stupid thread again...

how will you shoot me down when i'm the one guiding your rocket?
youtube.com/watch?v=njos57IJf-0

Yes happy birthday

Like 90 percent of servers are running on linux, no? Did I dream that?

> Of course they don't
Enterprises will pay anything to not change anything.
> example: PHP 5.3 websites with Oracle 8-10 DB
Even if there are superior alternatives, companies will use the old shit till it breaks. Therefore, what they use is not an argument in debate about Linux quality.
Counter that, shill.

>chocolatey
Inferior to any AUR manager
>bug.n, AquaSnap
Nowhere near as customizable as awesomewm
>cmder
It's ok.
>WinFsp
No ext4, FTP, mtp etc
>PuTTY
That's only a client
>dmenu looks like a program launcher
It's much more than that. It's general purpose tool for generating menus. It's very simple but allows you to automate things in intuitive way. It's hard to explain.
>pulse audio - Built in
It's not. I want to be able to specify output device for each application separately when I'm streaming

But it keeps getting better with games?

Do you unironically believe anyone would install google's shit with a gimped linux syscall emulator? Currently google got fucked because they spend too much money on useless research and that may kill their meme os too.

Windows is a legacy platform. I use Windows 10 LTSC for certain things at work, but the OS itself is shit. It's the same mess it has been since XP, just with a new theme. Even then I find that 90% of my spreadsheets and almost all documents are done in Libre Office. I use VS Code as a text editor, and I use WSL for Bash and GCC. All of these run just as good or better under Linux, and I only use Windows because of company policies that date back to the 90s because Microsoft cut them deals on software.

So really you're just wrong. All of my home computers run Linux, and so would my work laptop if it weren't for the arbitrary rules of my workplace.

Attached: 1548380315893.jpg (661x640, 20K)

we don't want or need lusers like you normies keep out ree

>when Fuchsia launches
Google's product launches are unreliable at best. They pulled Google + after almost a 10 year run. Countless other ventures that never panned out. You're really going to trust them again? I have some property on the moon for sale just for you.

>chocolatey
o i am laffin

let's suppose anything, even one item on that list were decent software. what's your plan for when windows inevitably breaks your computer with a forced update? call for help?

is it really better than ubuntu at this point?

You won't find one using Windows.

>it will never compete with Windows or macOS
exactly, it doesnt try to, it doesnt care, its just beautifull, free(dom), independent

Why would anyone need to compete with MacOS? It's irrelevant as a regular desktop OS, loses to Linux and Windows for gaming, loses to Linux and windows in hardware compatibility and doesn't exist on servers. That's like saying humans can't compete with apes. It's not a fucking competition, apes are irrelevant and so is MacOS.

>You think enterprises want to pay for Windows and Office licenses, Adobe subscriptions, and all this other expensive shit?

the boys in tuxedos, expensive shoes and ties dont understand about technology and think the more they pay the better it is... they also buy into adverrtisement, beeing the sociopathic brainlets they are