/tpg/ ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, socketed CPU, quadcore-compatible
>T520/T530, W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, quadcore; USB 3.0, 32GB RAM in W-series
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p/T540p/W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate niggers swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide:
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: t40.jpg (6000x4000, 1.26M)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/173779962809
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

lolis

best tp to use with an eGPU?
the websites are saying X1 Carbon.

just don't bother with egpu it's shit, if you really need gpu either get a laptop with a dgpu or build a desktop

got a razer with a 1060, but not sure if that's cuttin the mustard to run Sekiro at max fps

hi boys i have a W540 with a bad motherboard. it turns off randomly every 30 minutes.

Screen has a few white spots, the corners are bit shiny, but otherwise the body is pristine. barely used on account of the motherboard thing.

Is it worth selling or should I just toss it?

Attached: 1548889955419.jpg (150x150, 5K)

Based

epic get bro

Welcome home white man

Sell it, I'd buy something like that for the right price as a project.

Fuck, I didn't see we were near bump limit. I wanted to be the next OP because user in the last thread pointed out that OP should have the Coreboot compatibility list and I agree.

I also want to change
>>T440p/T540p/W540/1 - last models with socketed processors
to
>>T440p, T540p, W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Attached: 1514902370386.jpg (621x495, 132K)

has anyone here ever replaced the HDD in their x201 with an SSD? Thinking about doing it since Crucial SSD's for them can be had for about $50, but I saw that you might also have to buy some kinda bullshit drive mounting thing because of the drive size? The only video I found was a guy who didn't show the actual install process at all. Would I have to clone it if I didn't care about data replication? Or would I be good to just plug it in, boot from USB and install the flavor of the month distro right away? I really don't give a fuck about anything that's on the current drive, I just use it for school and want it to not take sixteen fucking years to boot

So, some time ago I got an old ThinkPad X200. It was working fine, except for the audio and the jacks and USB port at the right side. I didn't mind, but today I decided to disassemble it to check on the fan, since it's been getting really hot lately. I finally realized what caused the problem. As you can see in pic related, the orange thing (sorry, I don't know much about hardware) that connects the component to the motherless is burnt. How is that component called, and where do I get a new one?

Attached: IMG_20190205_131744.jpg (3120x3120, 3.12M)

>connects the component to the motherless
Best Freudian-autocorrect I've ever seen.

Attached: 1512398578231.gif (245x320, 1.55M)

Wtf I meant to say motherboard, not motherless holy shit. Anyway, I just realized that the burned connector is black in the pic, I said orange because that's what the other side of the connector looks like.

Part name reads on the cable nibba.

Are chink batteries any good for X60s? I don't think lenovo makes new ones anymore so the genuine ones must be decade old shait right?

I just bought an X200 and I noticed that with headphones plugged in I hear a constant buzzing when listening to anything, which ruins the listening experience with all of my songs, especially the quieter ones. Is this a common problem with X200's? I tried using a different audio output (USB instead of 3.5mm jack) and the buzzing sound almost disappeared, so I think this isn't a problem with my headphones (but I'm not completely sure as I have no other device I can use to test the same audio files I'm listening to). If this isn't a hardware issue, what can I do to fix this? Or should I return it and get another X200 or another X series model? I don't want to be forced to use a USB port for audio, because then I have to unplug my USB mouse or audio in order to use a USB drive (and even with USB audio output, the sound isnt perfect).

Attached: 1465063855949.jpg (1024x768, 94K)

not really necessary imo. but your worried i you can stick a folded up piece of paper with the caddy

you mean the drive mounting kit isn't necessary? Or the SSD isn't necessary? Cuz my boot times with Fedora KDE are absolutely horrendous

I see, I'm retarded. Also, do you think that there's a possibility that all of the component is fucked up because of that connector? I don't know if the speaker connected to that board is still functional, but I wasn't able to find a replacement anywhere. I'm not sure whether to buy only the connector or buy the connector, plus that i/o module and the speaker.

Attached: IMG_20190205_175536.jpg (3120x3120, 3.74M)

Upgraded my t520 screen to 1920x1080
Booted up with just a white screen
Where did I go wrong?

k tanks, you inspired me

ebay.com/itm/173779962809

i meant a spacer isn't a necessary

Attached: memorypack ssd spacer 7mm to 9mm micron 02.jpg (400x300, 44K)

Can't really say what has caused the cable to burn, if I had to make uneducated guess, previous owner shorted the usb connector or something. Check the sub-module components and the outside connectors on it for any corrosion or burn marks.

okay, cool. cuz my boot times are seriously insane. it takes over 3 min to go from nothing to browser

Is the x300/x301 my only option if I want a small thinkpad with an optical drive?
Seems pretty comfy desu
>1440x900
>core 2 duo
>8gb ram capable

Attached: 426px-ThinkPadX301.jpg (426x599, 30K)

X200/201 with docking station

X61 with docking station

I upgraded from an old X220 to a used T450S and I fucking love this thing. just put 8gb of ram so now I have 12, it's fast as fuck

fuck u guys it was so underpriced that it sold in under 5 minutes

Attached: 1516517908778.png (1070x601, 507K)

I'm looking at getting a T480s since it has a pretty good sale right now, but a lot of reviews don't like the screen so much.
It wouldn't be worth the extra money upgrading to the 1440p screen since it's significantly more expensive in Canada.

I won't be doing anything that needs amazing visuals but I just want something that is nice to read, write and code with. Is it actually bad or are apple fanboys just missing their high contrast/over-saturation?

If I need a laptop with a color accurate screen, what are my ThinkPad options on the affordable side?

literally none

t440p with FHD IPS screen sort of

>on the affordable side
None of them.

I don't know about 1080p screen it's probably mediocre but good enough, but owning t480s with wqhd I can safely say it's worth the extra money.

There is some little burn mark on the module, so I guess it's safer to replace it. The attached speaker shown in seems OK though.

Attached: IMG_20190205_185030.jpg (3120x3120, 2.71M)

The t480/t480s are so flat and the screen is so shitty theres been several cases of the screen getting scratched by the keyboard just from being in a bag for a week or two

Seems like the whole connector is fucked, Id suggest you replace whole subboard&cable if you can even source replacement. Maybe find dead x200 for parts?

I carry my t480s everywhere everyday in my bag and that never happened, maybe if you put excessive force on it that may happen but not within normal usage.

Anyone here have any input on the A485 or thinking about getting one?

Attached: ww-lenovo-laptop-thinkpad-a485-gallery-04.jpg (1060x596, 40K)

Just bought a X1 extreme with a Dock. Did I fuck up guys?

Werks fine on my x200t
Sometimes I plug in a dap as an external dac, if you have one lying around its not too much to carry.

>has anyone here ever replaced the HDD in their x201 with an SSD?
I just slapped an SSD in a new x201
>Or would I be good to just plug it in, boot from USB and install the flavor of the month distro right away?
yes, I did exactly that
>but I saw that you might also have to buy some kinda bullshit drive mounting thing because of the drive size?
foam or a spacer works, yeah

thank you user-kun I love you

>bring thinkpad to work with work issued dell latitude
>manager tells me to leave thinkpad at home
I intended it for note taking and research, but I guess I look like a autist now.

just got my t440p from the mail
the trackpad is absolute dogshit, does it matter if i get the alps over the synaptic version ?
i really cant fucking find a syn trackpad thats not from china and will come in 2 months

just as a cherry on top its virtually impossible to use the laptop with this trackpad, its that fucking bad

Can't wait. Fuck you 'shipping exception'.

Attached: Screenshot_20190203-221630-01.jpg (1079x1190, 184K)

All of my crucial ssds came with a spacer thing but I never needed to use it. Though I only have put them in T4XX models

what the fuckkkk im so jealous of you

Any 2017/2018 models (T480/T480s/X1Carbon6/etc.) with Thunderbolt 3, eGPU on anything else than TB3 is a waste of time and effort.

There are more for sale..

bros talk me out of buying an x240 for every fucking distro i want to play around with they're so cheap but so fashionable

so I have the chance to buy a t450s with a i7-5600U for less than the price of one with a i5-5300U and everything else is good (SSD, grade A IPS screen), but is there any reason why I wouldn't? I heard the i7 chips are supposed to be crap or something, would I be better off with just i5-5300U?

kekistan

It does not matter provided you aren't running winshit.

the reason people here hate on i7s are because the premium you usually pay does not substantiate the performance difference. go for it

I always go for the i7 variants, but I buy all my ThinkPads at peak second hand market saturation. Can't wait to snag a Xeon or one of those new AMD models a few years from now when corporations start retiring them.
I'd never pay the prices some people are demanding for some models, patience saves me a lot of money.

it's amazing how little you pay in performance for buying used & refurbished. Jow Forums converted me completely

Indeed. I usually look for the most bare bones configuration I can find with the processor I want, and then swap in all the shit I want later.
It's easy to get the highest end configuration possible for a pittance.

it is

I always find buying the thinkpads specced out from the beginning to be the best bet atleast here in Mexico, I've had X220, X230, T61, T400, T420s, T430 and then I sold them all and just had my main PC.

Now that I want to get back into thinkpads I started looking and for the price I spec out one (buying a CPU, screen etc) I can just buy a newer better specced model, maybe it's the fact they're way cheaper over here idk why, here are some examples:

- X250 1080p screen, i7 for 180 bucks (had some scratches, hence the price).
- W541 3k screen, 180gb ssd, 16gb ram for 375 bucks
- X1 carbon 3rd gen with i7 and 8gb ram for 260 bucks (I tried buying this one but a fucker bought it first)
- T450s with 8gb ram and 256gb ssd for 230 bucks (I'm thinking on buying this one but the T460s is way sexier)
- T430 are usually 120-130 bucks

are there good thinkpads with numpads?
>inb4 why do you even need one
really it is vital for me pls

I've had a T420 serve me faithfully and don't need to upgrade yet. However I may be going to school for 1 year for a masters (paid for by my employer) and would get an upgrade if so.

Are there any decent models that come with a 1080p IPS panel? It seems like everyone says I have to do my own upgrade to get IPS.

Attached: t3_amoklg.jpg (2048x1538, 384K)

T/X440 and up come with them as options.

the 2.3ghz i5 is fine, not much of a benefit going with the lower of the 2 i7's maybe almost worth it for the top i7 in the carbon. more ram would be nice.
mine was 190 for the x1c3 i5 5300, 8gb, 128gb ssd.i didn't want wqhd or touch, $60 for an ips 1080p lcd.
i think t450s or newer have 1080 ips as an option. might be the bottom screen for the s models and newer carbons

My t440p isn't charging, it either says "plugged in and not charging" or only the icon of it being plugged in is showing but it's not charging
What do ???

does this happen regardless to battery percentage? if so then I would guess you've got a fucked battery.

t440/s/p has the 1080p option aswell.

Did my first major repair to my X1 Carbon gen 4 this weekend. Had to replace the fan / heat pipe assembly. Was surprisingly easy.

Really appreciating how I can do that with my Thinkpad, but would be SOL with a Surface laptop or Mac.

My charger is offbrand chinkshit I'll try running Linux and see if it persists

W540/541/550 does, T540-580 does, P71 does, and there are probably others, but iirc no older ThinkPads do.

Where my T42 fags at? This is probably my favorite laptop of all time. Currently my daily driver.

>get tax money
>buy 3 ThinkPads
>still want to buy more
neat

You can do it with Macs too, it's just a royal pain in the ass.

Not trying to talk too much shit here because I like the X1, but check out whats involved with a keyboard replacement

when it was at 95% it would refuse to go any higher any idea why ?

cutest thinkpad?

240X

why would you ever buy a laptop with a sub 1920x1080 screen

bad for programming
bad for creative adobe shit
bad for gamin
bad for youtube

t. tradelet

why would you ever buy a laptop with a sub 1600x1200 screen

bad for programming
bad for creative adobe shit
bad for gamin
bad for youtube

well there's few explanations, one is that battery is not calibrated properly and the displayed percentage is off, second you could have battery threshold set to stop charging at 95%, third the battery is just damaged but it's very unlikely just do a battery reset and it should resolve itself

X200s with USB optical drive velcroed to the back of the LCD

Well which is it? Randomly or every 30 minutes?

Because I've been to lazy for a 1080p kit for my X230

>bad for programming
4:3 is better
>bad for creative adobe shit
4:3 is better
>bad for gamin
who gives a shit
>bad for youtube
who gives a shit

Is it bad that I kinda want to upgrade from a T410 to a W520 or W540 based on screen resolution alone? My T410 is 1440x900 and the larger resolutions are starting to get more appealing, it isn't even a power issue the T410 performs fine

>not using one half of your 16:9 for documentation and the other half for the IDE

desab

are you me

You have no other choice senpai, apart from recelling old ones yourself.

Its the only X series one must avoid. Even the x230 is more powerful senpai.
Im curious, do you find those locally in noerapenal land?

i dunno user what are your hobbies

this

Is the E585 any good? I just want a laptop that can run Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and video games like Cuphead.

sucking lots of dicks

same