What distro do you use Jow Forums and why?

What distro do you use Jow Forums and why?

planning to move on from ubuntu but not sure what to try

Attached: 113228-1.png (800x886, 288K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/InBetweenNames/gentooLTO
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Working/USE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Attached: 676.jpg (900x600, 42K)

I used arch for a few months, then installed gentoo but got tired of fixing everything, and now I'm on Solus and it's pretty nice. Do you have any preferences on if it's rolling release/minimal/works out of the box or anything?

Gentoo for a long time now. It works for me, and always did what I wanted it to do.

I don't really have any preferences I just fancy trying something other than ubuntu, and I'd prefer something that works out the box

The last one I used before reinstalling wangdicks was Mint, but if you're trying to move away from Ubuntu I'm assuming you don't want something Ubuntu-based.

I'd suggest Arch or Manjaro but you said you want something to work OOTB

Fedora, I guess?

Almost all work OOTB for the use they're meat for, or shpuld.

Frankly, just download a bunch of live isos and try them in a VM (qemu?) followed by maybe putting the ones you like on an USB stick to install.

OSX for work and Windows for home.

Back when I needed linux every day for work I usually used Debian.

I used OpenSUSE Tumbleweed for a long time and was pretty satisfied. Switched to Solus a month ago and like that as well. Works out of the box for me and Bungie is snappy AF

>localhost
don't do this

I use Debian because it’s stable, easy to use, and has a lot of software in the repo. I’m also a big fan of slackware because of its stability and ease of use, but having to compile stuff from slackbuilds is kinda lame.

Attached: image.jpg (640x841, 507K)

Nyet, mint is fine. Kde purdy. Terminal works.

# apt-get install cowsay
# cowsay I Love mint

Use Fedora then.

Fedora, Debian and their derivatives are the only ones that really work OotB, no extra installation/configuration needed on your part. On the other hand, those distros make it a pain in the ass to swap out the OotB pieces in my experience, even if it's technically possible.

I legitimately had an easier time installing Kubuntu over my existing Ubuntu install when I wanted to try KDE than I did getting the kubuntu-desktop package to work on my vanilla Ubuntu.

mint is shit

Arch because of the wiki, doesn’t come with too much shit preinstalled, I like rolling release, and my roommate has used it for years so I have his expertise to back me up

Attached: fedora29-816x345.jpg (816x345, 34K)

This, but unironically

solus for daily casual shit, shitposting, animes, etc
debian for oldass craptops

The meme is real

Attached: improving.png (1280x800, 42K)

redpill me on opensuse

Attached: 1526251847012.jpg (768x1024, 73K)

fuck off Kevin, nobody uses your distro

unironically debuntu or fedora. gentoo is the only reasonable alternative on that list

Debian. It's got a good moral system, lots of packages, can be stable or unstable, the backports sytem lets you have newer packages while having security updates as well. I literally use nothing else.
>inb4 smelly old packages
Backports and Sid/unstable

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-02-05 15-51-15.png (654x391, 16K)

You can use the wiki for any other distro, akin to the Gentoo wiki.
my nigga

gentoo because
github.com/InBetweenNames/gentooLTO

Void or Gentoo

unironically this or fedora

Why is Debian not good for beginners?

manjaro and I overpronounce man

We live in dark days.
No distro is free of politics nowadays.

KUbuntu

It is, it just sometimes doesn't play well with drivers out of the box because of its free software philosophy

Attached: 14.png (834x1200, 667K)

to be honest if they can't into Debian they maybe should use Mac, Debian just takes a bit of reading to realize you need the non free iso.
Fedora is more their speed since they include firmware, but Debian should be better since you can install almost everything the same way, and I'm fedora you install software from source, flatpak, and additional repositories, etc
this, Debian and fedora are the only non meme options

Attached: mpvshot0242.jpg (1280x720, 136K)

Pros/cons of fedora vs debian?
Also which is less bloat on first install.

dude, weed

Attached: dudeWeed.png (623x334, 156K)

Fedora's dnf is cleverer and more comfy syntax wise than apt.

Debian is a bit less threatened by corporate intentions and policies that aren't always good for users. Not to say they're safe against idiot maintainers from the community making poor decisions, but they'll not try to push their own product xy. Fedora does.

>Also which is less bloat on first install
I'd say both are about the same with ~equal installation settings.

Works on my machine

Attached: screenFetch-2019-01-29_18-24-09.png (1440x900, 741K)

Would a debian net install allow for a minimal installation closer to meme-distros that you can then customise?
I guess that still doesn't narrow down fedora vs debian.

Fedora has the latest bug fixes and features, Debian has the policy of no feature upgrades per release if security can still be easily backported.
On Debian this is an advantage because you don't have to reboot often, it's like CentOS but with a shit ton of packages. Fedora has less packages and you need add rpmfusion for basic stuff like ffmpeg codecs (not a problem).
And even though I'm biased to fedora, netinstall Debian is less bloated than netinstall fedora, but maybe because it uses very old software which doesn't need dependencies used right now.
In fedora I disable some services to save battery after installation. The DE really doesn't matter when it comes to saving battery, powertop and tlp autosuspension and latest kernel help me to get 5 hours out of a 70% 6 cell thinkpad. But I haven't really tested both to say that Debian is worse on battery. At the end of the day that's all it matters to me, not "bloat". The only bloat I can't stand is KDE because it's a fucking lot of packages, I can't believe it even works after watching how it works
>inb4 dude just install X distro is so much better for KDE
lol
but all in all I think Fedora is just better maintained, you will see some shit decisions on Debian from time to time because someone got mad over something stupid, not even talking about the weboob thing, they are like that some years before Ian died

both Debian and fedora have some heavy package splitting that allows you to go very minimal. but as I said here
fedora is now using newer systemd shit that will eventually get into Debian and be the same. right now Debian 9 is a mix of the early systemd and sysV

Not really much closer than a basic fedora install, no.

If you want more of a "meme distro that you can customize", there are Nix, Void, CloverOS/Gentoo, Arch/Artix, Slackware, even Alpine and many more. You might not even pick Debian OR Fedora.

[Arguably Fedora Silverblue might theoretically also try to be one, but that shit is not solid yet.]

Also this unironically. Can I get an explanation for why they went from version 13 to 42, then 15? Seriously, I get it's a meme, but it's broken at least 5 install scripts for me because it's out of order

Honestly, I don't know. Maybe it is some German joke that went too far?

I think they were just consuming the usual Marketing Crack.

Java did it, too. Microsoft and Oracle jumped versions. And so on.

Examples of shit decisions in the past?

>what distro
Ubuntu
>why?
ease of use, yet still very useful.

Arch because it's the first thing i used after leaving windows and I've never had a reason to switch.

Kubuntu. Because.

Any specific reason you're using chrome and not chromium?

>not taking advantage of an opportunity to number your release 42
It was a different time, really

Autism I guess.
Furthermore, I use Google botnet just to keep passwords and other stuff.
Actually, I'm fed up with Chrome, that consumes too much memory, and I want to make my own browser... But I guess it will never happen, just like g/WM/ i'm trying to make.

Indeed.
I think it can be related to Tumbleweed creation, dunno.

42 is the answer to everything, thats the reason.

>i use xubuntu because i dont know how to change my desktop environment

I went from lubuntu to arch to void.
Void is fun and unironically just werks. I agree with it's wiki that it's for intermediate/advanced users, but a flavored one (i.e. with DE) would be fine for a beginner.
>bretty gud repos
>quick boot time
>light
>rolling release that somehow never breaks
As a bonus, it has an ncurses installer.

fedora by far but if you want something easy and out of the box you need ubuntu

Solus. It's the only thing that didn't break on me for a years of use.

Parabola GNU/Linux-libre and TempleOS

gentoo because it stopped me from distro hopping. says alot

Ubuntu Gnome 16.04. I have it on a MacBook Pro. Newer releases of distros have a bug with wifi, so it's the latest version I can use.

gentoo

gentoo

>ubuntu 16.04
want to install debian on my main machine dont want to loose my work on stupid retard shit like clush of dependensis

it's a good distro. solid community support. might get out over your toes on bleeding edge software with tumbleweed. other than that, have at it. zypper is the best package manager i've found.

ratpoison, broken symbols, fucked up gtk theme, LTS kernel, crux.
very high test user.
instead of writing your own, just use xmonad man.
its funny how gentoo is a meme and everyone shits on gentoo users for -O3 and -funroll-loops shit, but you don't realize until you use it how useful the use flags and the package.provides are

i use nixOS, but i wouldn't recommend it if you don't want to write your own packages and do a bunch of fucking reading

Debian is good if you want something similar to ubuntu. Arch otherwise.

Gentoo, since it's fast and systemD botnet free by default.

share background pls user

gentoo, very customizable. you can shape it the way you want. take it as a suit, gentoo is a custom made suit to your size preferences while other distros are ready suits from the rack. you see straight away which one is better.

Parabola because freedoms

I think majority of Jow Forums users use Gentoo.

fuck off Kevin

If everyone has x86_64 laptops and desktops, why bother?

>Powered by
Literally the only stickers that should say that are the ones for Power Supply manufacturers.

Attached: 1428624869420.jpg (383x400, 19K)

some people like having control over their system and not installing shit that they dont use. if you dont care then sure use arch void or any of the other options.

Gentoo has compile-time options/optimisations, nothing to do with selecting software.

Fedora.

Hella comfy. I honestly dont know shit about everything linix can do, commands, etc, but with Fedora that doesnt matter. Bleeding edge tech without the buggy mess of other distros.
Dont think ill ever change desu, unless I go full dork mode and install CentOS.

yes it does through USE flags.

>Unironically using botnet os.
kek

Is there a resource for quickly learning about the extent of this? Thanks

gentoo wiki is very detailed

Thanks bro, I fixed the missing symbols though

Attached: meme-powers.png (1280x800, 44K)

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-02-06 00-29-22.png (1600x900, 718K)

c-c-c-clover because Jow Forums and why not.

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Working/USE
This does seem useful, have you found there are significant differences for you when using the flags?
How does it deal with if you wanted to suddenly include, for example, KDE support for all already-installed programs?

It will first pull KDE and recompile packages that could use KDE with KDE support.

I left Ubuntu for Linux mint about five years ago and haven't switched back since. It just feels like a more refined, stable, responsive version of Ubuntu.

You can connect a google account to chromium as well

>Brave
>Steam
>Discord
Are you Rising Up, Brad?

Maybe gentoo isn't useless after all. The only thing holding me back is the expectation of spending too much time on maintenance.

Does chromium have any issues with google docs, drive, etc?

For me it's OBVIOUSLY ARCH LINUX
It really needs no explanation
Simple, sleek, elegant, and robust.

Attached: file.png (6400x1440, 1.77M)

Attached: 1-copy2.jpg (628x625, 100K)

there is no real maintenance once you have everything running. my daily routine is: startup pc, sync with the gentoo and 3rd party repos and update the packages, thats really it. i think its same for any other distro users. when you are just starting with gentoo depending on your hwardware it could take some time to set everything up, but i didnt have issues with my ryzen 7 1700

Nah I use brave because it more secure than firefox and discord because my friends use it

Gentoo becomes a pain when you want to install some piece of software that you hadn't originally planned for or if you want some random bleeding edge package and get fucked by over 9000 masked packages and just get some headache.

At least that's Gentoo for me

Currently Mint Cinnamon, but planning to move to Debian soon. Wanting less bloat.

So, Gentoo becomes a pain doing tasks that have been ironed out in other OSs for the past two decades. Freedom costs, bruvva

Been a Fedora KDE user for a long time, was working on installing Gentoo last night but I think I fucked something up so I’m starting over again tonight. Its been a learning experience but that’s what I wanted and expected heading into it.

Does Void provide older versions of packages as well? I need .27 mpv.