Got a copyright notice from my ISP...

Got a copyright notice from my ISP. It gives no detail as to what exactly I did and mentions no strike or anything of the sort yet it has the correct account number.

What do I do about this? They gave an email to mail if I think it was false, a security breech or etc. anytime I torrent I use VPN. I dont see what this could be.

Attached: 8BCD806560EB4367A5B09EC62C9C5830.jpg (396x432, 104K)

Hmm idk probably from the torrenting user

>with a VPN

How can they give you a copyright strike for that? They dont even know that youre torrenting and torrenting in of itself means nothing.

User error id imagine

You could have a misconfiguration. For example, your network should be configured to not allow non-VPN traffic from that machine so that even if the VPN goes down, it won't start using your normal connection. There are other ways you can leak too (DNS, forgot to do the same for ipv6, etc).

Either way, DO NOT respond to the letter or give any acknowledgement that you received it. They can use that against you later.

literally ignore it because nothing real is served over e-mail

This. They're just trying to scare you

They just requested that I'd stop. No threat or otherwise. I was going to email, but you suggest against that? I just wanted to know what info they had exactly.

Further I use my private internet access. I dont think it was user error.

I use PIA so I dont think it was user error

>With vpn
Does your vpn protect from deep packet inspection, and did you make sure that you're properly configured?

Pia is just install and go. I have never had an issue before.

Further even if they somehow now I'm torrenting there is no way that they know what I'm torrenting from that right?

I just checked PIA's forums, and they are very quick to claim that deep packet inspection isn't important, so my guess is that they don't offer any type of masking/defense against it.
They might know everything that you're doing while on pia.

I dont know much about networking what exactly does Deep packet inspection let them know? Like I said ive been doing this for half a decade and never had issue.

>I dont know much about networking what exactly does Deep packet inspection let them know?
According to China it let's them know everything, but according to PIA's forums it just lets them see that you're using PIA's (servers which is a lie). Your ISP knows your what type of files you are downloading, and where those files came from.
>Like I said ive been doing this for half a decade and never had issue.
I've been downloading torrents ever since torrenting was available to the public, and I've never paid for a vpn.

Have you gotten alerts from doing so?

I'm just not sure how they can see what I'm downloading if I'm using deluge from a fitgirl repack or something with the VPN on.

>Have you gotten alerts from doing so?
Never, and I've been downloading files since before Napster.

What the fuck? What ISP ?

I forgot to mention I have spectrum and I'm in the united states.

Unless your ISP can decode 256-bit AES+ then no they can't see what you're doing, only that you're connected to a server owned by a VPN unless they've done a MITM attack. That's the point.

So is it more likely that a guest over at my house streamed something copywritten or downloaded something flagged on a filesharing site or something?

I have downloaded at times things from like cs.go.rin hosted on file sharing sites bare IP, but never torrent. I figured that was okay.

>What the fuck? What ISP ?
A very popular one in the US.
The only thing that they send me are warnings to upgrade when I was on the low tier with a soft download cap.

Either one of those or something leaked past the VPN due to a a misconfiguration, hard to say.

>anytime I torrent I use VPN.
You fucked up, you should either never torrent or always VPN.

Maybe I put my PC to sleep, then when I booted it up had the torrent still going but the VPN didn't connect fast enough? I do put my PC to sleep a lot so that is a possibility.

Either way I shouldnt worry about this or do anything ?

Lucky boi then. Frankly it should be illegal for isps and copyright cunts to do this

What do you mean? I can't keep my VPN on all the time when doing nothing torrent wise or downloading, makes my ping and speeds worse.

>Either way I shouldnt worry about this or do anything ?

Worry if you actually get served, anything else is a warning at worst.

>What do you mean? I can't keep my VPN on all the time when doing nothing torrent wise or downloading, makes my ping and speeds worse.
I do and I'm using PIA. They even offer you the killswitch to stop leaking stuff. Clearly you should either never torrent or always VPN
Anyway you fucked up and now are going to get sued for damages. Call that the price for your lowered ping.

>I can't keep my VPN on all the time when doing nothing torrent wise or downloading,
Set up a dedicated low power box just for torrenting + a router for it.

>going to get sued

Lmao nice try. They even said they do nothing if they dont get subpoenaed. Furthermore they didnt even specify what it is I got that was copyrighted or provide any proof. Seems a lot like hot air.

I'll be more careful for sure though now.

I am going to do this actually, I have a old amd 965 and even some old GPUs I can use.

Won't be low power but its free, just need case and PSU.

Still worries me a bit. I wonder if they'll pursue this at all.

Thats why I was originally going to mail them and ask what exactly happened and say I didnt know until this thread, but now people are saying to ignore it.

This

>I am going to do this actually, I have a old amd 965 and even some old GPUs I can use.
>Won't be low power but its free, just need case and PSU.
I suggest getting a few external USB hard drives. Personally I believe that these are useful as fuck for moving files between computers (like torrent box to end user PC).

Don't fucking email them.

If they wanted to take legal action they would need to serve you with a certified letter, its bullshit, ignore it.

Ive got a few. A relatively new 2tb Seagate as well.

What distro is advised for such a thing? Does it matter?

Even in this "warning" they didnt imply they wanted to take any sort of legal action, so I'm really wondering what's the point at all especially when they presented no proof. I'm surprised they are even allowed to do this shit.

>What distro is advised for such a thing? Does it matter?
Not really in my opinion, so choose your favorite, or whatever you're comfortable using.

The point is that you respond and they jerk you around and eventually ask for protection money.

RIAA and MIAA pay ISPs when they send threats to their users.
totally not a mafia btw.

>protection money

How would the biggest ISP in the States go about that?

To what? Just cut down on torrenters? Even if the threat has no merit they assume it gets people to stop?

This shit should be criminal. I pay for my bandwidth and speed its none of their fucking business what I do with it.

Not only that but they have more information than they started with going through your ISP, so the harassment is easier.

I would get tails if there was some way to circumvent the traffic through tor for torrents but I doubt there is. Maybe just get Linux mint or something.

hmmm it's almost like stealing digital property is illegal and you should expect consequences if you get caught doing so. hmmm.....

Attached: 1472288756181.png (475x356, 366K)

>Even if the threat has no merit they assume it gets people to stop?
some people are retarded enough to fall for the threats.
>stealing
oy vey, bad goyim stealing stuff that can be copied infinitely.

As long as they dont follow through or have legal grounds or cancel my service then I guess thats better for me.

I can see why some people fall for it though, people that dont even ask or think to. Even though it is supremely vague.

The entire email was literally a copy paste job aside from the account number. This is so fucking bogus that they are allowed to send these en masse.

I wonder if they even have some system that just sends them out if they detect any kind of torrenting or what?

"Someone is torrenting HD movies without paying for them!"

Attached: 39179824_597066650690935_5372650362379436032_n.jpg (657x702, 52K)

I would just get a decent router/firewall is for the router, set that to always go through the vpn, and any OS that I'm comfortable with for the torrent box.
You don't really need to go full on amnesiac for something like that.

I'm a total noob with anything to do with networking. Can I set the router to only do that for that specific pc, the torrent box? Furthermore will that require setting a static IP and does PIA support that kind of thing?

I dont want to effect the rest of the systems on my network because running through the VPN really isnt good for my speed or ping.

Is it really your ISP or just dome lawyer claiming to work for your ISP? If so, ignore it. It's scam. There are some lawyers hired to send these things out to random people in hope some retard responds

>I'm a total noob with anything to do with networking. Can I set the router to only do that for that specific pc, the torrent box?
Sure, especially if that PC (the torrent box) is the only PC attached to it.

>I can't keep my VPN on all the time when doing nothing torrent wise or downloading
Just set up split tunneling. Leave your VPN connected at all times and set up a couple of batch/shell scripts like so (assuming windows, though the Unix-like equivalent is almost identical)
@set GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
route -p add 0.0.0.0 mask 192.0.0.0 %GATEWAY%
route -p add 64.0.0.0 mask 192.0.0.0 %GATEWAY%
route -p add 128.0.0.0 mask 192.0.0.0 %GATEWAY%
route -p add 192.0.0.0 mask 192.0.0.0 %GATEWAY%
and
@set GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
route delete 0.0.0.0 mask 192.0.0.0 %GATEWAY%
route delete 64.0.0.0 mask 192.0.0.0 %GATEWAY%
route delete 128.0.0.0 mask 192.0.0.0 %GATEWAY%
route delete 192.0.0.0 mask 192.0.0.0 %GATEWAY%
Assuming you don't have any more specific routes in your routing table that would interfere, after running the first script, new connections will go through your real network adapter by default, effectively disabling the VPN. Set up your torrent client to specifically bind to the local IP of your VPN and/or only use the VPN's virtual network interface, and while you're at it also configure your firewall to block any traffic from your torrent client that attempts to route through your normal connection. After that you can forget about it, your torrent traffic will always route through your VPN and everything else over your standard connection. Obviously, run the second script to remove the routing table entries added by the first and revert your VPN back to its normal functionality.

It was sent from the ISP, seemingly a legitimate email also and has the correct account #

I already have a router so it won't be the only PC attached to it, unless youre suggesting connecting another router somehow just for this PC. If thats a thing I may have an old WRT54g

For the torrent box (what I think I will do as it seems easiest and safest and gives me a use for my old hardware) I won't care if all the stuff is routed through the VPN really, so I won't likely have to bother with what youve mentioned.

>I already have a router so it won't be the only PC attached to it, unless youre suggesting connecting another router somehow just for this PC. If thats a thing I may have an old WRT54g
Yes. I'm suggesting to use a different router for the torrent box.

Can I connect it via Ethernet to my current router or must it be somehow connected to the modem?

Both I guess.

I have only one Ethernet out of my modem connected to my current router

>I've been downloading torrents ever since torrenting was available to the public, and I've never paid for a vpn.
Wtf how

This
Unless they send it digitally signed it's just spam
Unless it shows on your account though

They have the right account number in the email. Thats why I was a little worried.

after reading some more though I'm less worried. This seems common and I see people with as much as 6 of these notices. Not to mention many get specifics in the email when I got NONE. No mention of what copyrighted content I allegedly downloaded or anything.

Lmao faggot mods really warned me for op? Some butthurt jew I guess.

You're probably good
Just don't download movies
You probably leaked your IP somehow and you don't require encryption in your client
I've been torrenting for 10 years and got only 1 email when I was new and downloading everything

>Wtf how
Maybe my state, county, city, or specific location has some laws, or whatever. Honestly don't know.

I dont watch movies anymore. Its just games for me.

I'm just going to do a torrent box running PIA VPN 24/7. I need to get a new PSU either for my main system with a 9 year old 750 watt corsair or just a new one for the torrent box and a new case.

>Got a copyright notice from my ISP
The current state of the americucks lmao

Attached: shit3.png (810x810, 492K)

Missing piece of my dick and getting cucked by government and their corporate brothers! At least I'm free! 56

>Missing piece of my dick
lel

Its not really all that funny. I fucking hate this shit so much

Probably a random email sent out by a us lawyer, so literally nothing. In fact I've only read that foreigners from the EU are the only ones that get their doors kicked in by American feds over torrenting. Sucks to be yuroshit.

They had my account number right and it was from the ISP themselves.

Youre saying it was probably someone sending the ISP the request to send that warning?

>Youre saying it was probably someone sending the ISP the request to send that warning?
Probably. Just switch VPN, and use a dedicated torrent box.

I have a year that just renewed not long ago with PIA, I think it was likely my fault somehow rather than PIA.

I just need to do a torrent box and make sure to only torrent there from now on. Are there any good guides as to what actually makes something a "torrent box" and what exactly to do?

I just scored a killer deal on a PSU for my system so I now have my spare old 750w corsair I can use for a second PC.

>I have a year that just renewed not long ago with PIA, I think it was likely my fault somehow rather than PIA.
>gets DMCA
>still going to use pia
Do what you want dumbass.
Other people would.
>Dedi torrent box, and router
>New VPN
and even
>New ISP if possible

New ISP is not possible at all. Only alternative is DSL.

The reason I say its not pia is because for one, I was using a Polish IP, for two I had my PC asleep and then woke it up and being a retard I had no killswitch or anything else set up.

If I set up a torrent box with pia and get another warning for sure I would stop, but I just dont think I can fairly blame it on pia when it was almost certainly either my fault or from a different instance where I didnt even use pia.

as long as they don't penalize you for it, nothing. don't even bother trying to dispute it. I got one from my ISP a while ago and called them to figure out what the fuck the content I supposedly downloaded was. when they said it was game of thrones I tried in every possible way I could to explain that nobody here cares about that show and there is no possible way my household downloaded that file but she just kept saying that bittorrent is a virus and that if I didn't do it then I needed to wipe all the pcs in the house because one of them must have been infected with something that downloaded game of thrones. just hung up and haven't heard about it since

lmao idiots. I was going to email to ask what it was I supposedly downloaded but after this thread I just decided not to contact them.

If it was legit it had to be resident evil 2. Its like the only thing ive downloaded recently.

Buy the movie used for $5. They literally can't do anything.

also it's possible that the notice was for someone else and the dynamic IP rotation was timed just right and landed you with their IP

The game mate, fuck the re movies.

Didnt even think about that or know it was possible.

technically they should have logs showing who had the lease and when. but who the heck knows. if the notice wasn't sent automatically and was because of a dmca complaint then whoever processed it probably just matched the IP right then instead of bothering to pull the lease history

Well I'm certainly less worried now, though with my new PSU coming in I think its still best I get a torrent box.

Just need a replacement for my ancient antec 900 case.

POST THE FUCKING SCREENSHOT YOU FUCKING LARPING FAGGOT
>18 posters
I'm ashamed of you Jow Forums

Attached: 1548607650898.jpg (210x240, 20K)

Sorry if its hard to believe people receive copyright notifications....

The email was sent to my fathers email since he used to pay for it and I havent changed it, I can't get a screenshot of the email until tomorrow afternoon if I wanted to.

Kek, say all you want about germany but there are no strike rules here. I only torrent chinese cartoons and nobody fucking cares. The only thing you could get in trouble for is downloading copyrighted music from the typical jew labels with your real IP. And even this is now obsolete with streaming.

Well no one will get in trouble for anime even here I dont think.