DIY security system

I moved into a new house and I suspect there's drug dealers across the street.
Anyone here set up their own security system? I want to get about 4 small IP cameras and connect them to a Raspberry Pi and a 1TB drive.

Attached: ipcamera.jpg (1000x1000, 68K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wyzecam.com/wyze-cam/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Nah, ended up hiring a guy

>Raspberry Pi
Just get a pre built system complete with cameras, dvr, and everything you need out if the box, you fucking retard.

>Just spend hundreds of dollars goy
Anyone with the slightest knowledge of networking and Linux can build a cheap cctv security system.
Look into motion eye os. Explaining computers has a good video on it.

So you're gonna spy on your neighbor? What the fuck is wrong with you lmao

>Anyone with the slightest knowledge of networking and Linux can build a cheap cctv security system.
You definitely are retarded. Enjoy your few hundred dollar headache that can't video in the dark, or handle weather you dumbshit.

this, motioneye on a raspi 3 with a webcam does the job

>Hundreds of dollars
I just checked eBay, and it looks like sub one hundred dollars for a 720p system, so it's more 8 tens of dollars.
No how much would you save if you rigged up a raspberry Pi system with webcam?

No, I just want a camera watching my front and back door.
>can't video in the dark, or handle weather
WOuldn't this depend on the cameras? I don't plan on mounting them outside, I have a pretty good view from my windows

OR you can save yourself hours of headache and waste of money by just buying a wyzecam, which is only 20 bucks

wyzecam.com/wyze-cam/

Oh btw OP, this is in 1080p, has nightvision and can be viewed from your phone

It's not China crap though, this is a company from America

>WOuldn't this depend on the cameras?
Yes, and your average webcam doesn't have this feature, so you'll have to spend even more time, money, and effort to diy something that would cost $135, or less prebuilt.

Or you can save time, and money if you bought a 4 camera system with DVR and hard drive for $140.

>No, I just want a camera watching my front and back door.
Aight that's fair enough m8

>products exist, and they're cheap as fuck
>I want to do it the hard way, because I'm fucking brain dead

140 dollars vs 20 bucks????

What's wrong with wanting your security to be powered by FOSS?

thats sort of what i did, i already had an old laptop laying around with windows 7 on it, so i bought 4 cheap foscam wifi cameras and a cheap wifi router, then set up the wifi cams on that router and installed an app on the laptop so now i have four cameras watching all around my house,

PS if you go with wifi cams you will want a separate router because several wifi cams will cause a lot of traffic on your router and will slow your internet down to a crawl, a separate router will solve that

>$20
15fps day time/ 10fps night vision
vs a real system with 4 indoor/outdoor cameras that you can set 24/30/60fps recording, and us expandable.
Also there are cheaper complete systems available, and they aren't stuck with ridiculous low fps like the wyse.

Meant for
Have I seen this thread before? Getting some serious dejavu.

>15fps day time/ 10fps night vision

Those wyze cams have 30/60 fps recording, are you shitting me, I actually have two of these. They also have motion detection that alerts you.

All for just 20 bucks

Nope

>Those wyze cams have 30/60 fps recording,
Specs says 15 day/10 night
Souce on 30/60?
>All for just 20 bucks
It's $20 but you're just throwing money away.
>Nope
Weird seems like I've seen an user shilling wyzecams before.

The source is my penis, good sir. But seriously, it's damn good and better than paying 140 for hours of setups

Just Buy cheap chinese 720p cameras.
And buy a hp Microserver N64l server if you want cheap.

However premade crap tends to be better.

>15/10 fps
>Good
I don't know user.
>Break in
>See wyze camera
>Pocket it
>Rob op
>Watch gifs on phone

All the data saves on your phone, so you would know who takes your stuff plus the vids are saved on a server that's free

Plus if someone breaks in your home with a DVR system, they'll just destroy it or just take it so you won't know who it is

>*Free
For 14 days
Camera is kind of shit, and people are better off getting a real system.

>Plus if someone breaks in your home with a DVR system, they'll just destroy it or just take it so you won't know who it is
This is why cloud backup exists, but oh my $20 is such a deal.
>Cops watch gif
>can't use it because niggers are fast

I've never used the outdoor ones. I only have a couple set up in the bathrooms to make sure people... wash their hands when they are done

I made a webcam into a security cam. 100 lines of python

I might ask here, what's a good camera to get?
There's a bargan for 4 cams with DVR for 99$, should I get this?
The problem is the cameras are 2.7 megapixles.
Is it good?

>Is it good?
you get what you pay for. Amazon reviews can help deciding better. Some will complain the cable is thin crap, or cams working poor in night mode, or committing sudoku after a few weeks. That's the usual complains on cheap equipment. Good thing is you might still keep the DVR and buy better cams as you need them.
Don't be bothered by 1080/4k 30$ chinese cams. Their quality is really poor.
Haven't found a good cam yet. I'm just testing for shit n giggles so I'm not pouring money on it now. Best I tested so far in terms of quality is a logitech c270 attached to a raspi.

I see, I need a good camera to actually tell faces apart , and get plate number.

>tell faces apart
>get plate number
I guess this depends on the distance.
You can try something like "ip webcam pro" android app, and use your phone as a test. You will get raw mjpeg stream and see if resolution and fps serves you good, then find a proper cam with similar specs.
Mileage may vary, as phone hardware is pretty well documented, while aftermarket cams are not so well documented, but at least you get an idea of what kind of hardware is powerful enough for you.

If I where to use that then a camera 8 MP, f/2.6, AKA GS3 camera,get the job.
As for distance maybe 5-10 meters?

i already had a low-powered server (2008 atom powered CPU)
i bought a $70 chinese IPCAM.
the built-in settings has an option for motion capture. it will send a 10 sec clip to your server whenever it gets triggered.
simple enough for my shitty powered netbook.
although i only have it pointed towards the ground where the image should be static 99% of the time.

>GS3 camera
then you already know what to look for
and 5-10 meters is pretty affordable for even lower specs camera I guess. Probably just a better fps rate, depending on how fast are the cars driving.

Does 720p / 1080p makes a difference? or it's just upscale images?
>Probably just a better fps rate, depending on how fast are the cars driving
No driving cars, but many cars park in front of my house.

Are you from Monaco, Singapore or really that much scammed by a security system guy before? You can get a non garbo, weather resistent, night sight camera plus cables for 60€, so even less than 70$. If you don't know what you're talking about, then fuck off.

>or it's just upscale images?
That really depends on the camera. Of course real 720p VS real 1080p makes a difference.
A lot of chinese cams that say 1080 or 4k are just 640x480 crap upscale, and their low price tell it.

Attached: china ai facial.webm (720x1278, 2.2M)

How do I make sure?
I could easily get chinked paying extra for a cam that says 1080p but it's VGA camera.

Check the sensor, if they don't tell you which sensor they are using it's an upscaled cheap sensor.
And research the cameras.

>How do I make sure?
You have to find the tech specs. On chinese hardware it's pretty rare to find, but some people buy and disassemble them, then review them. Try on youtube, or google for some blog post on specific model.

Many just says 5 megapixels 1080p.
Does this mean it's upscaled?

5 megapixels is 2560x1920
So I'd say yes.

>It's $20 but you're just throwing money away.

how much do the stand alone night vision cameras cost? how much do motion sensor cost? plus a soc board to get them all working together? "throwing money away" is dumping time and money on a hobby kit grade setup when you can spend less money and not waste any time putting together, programming and debugging an out of the box solution that's already proven to work. not advocating wyze-cam but really any off the shelf ip cam is better than building it yourself when you are talking about low end of things. if you are doing a custom setup then sure you can save money by parting together a system yourself but then at that point you're not talking about raspi hobby grade shit we're talking about a pro setup you would use in a convenience store or supermarket or something.

Yea get the rasepery pi camera modules dups 1080p and can be easily set up.
It's cheeper than other 1080p option but it's still pricy

Providing power and cooling in to a case for a raspberry pi camera is expensive, you can get POE cameras from say like unify g3 for much better quality at a scalable cost.

um yikes

Attached: Capture.png (578x1040, 141K)