What is the best DE for saving screen space?

Pic related is clearly the best, but since global menus in Unity in some gtk apps on Ubuntu 18.10 are broken, I'm looking for a replacement for Unity. All it needs to have is window bar merging with top bar when a window is maximized, being able to unmaximize it and move it by dragging it down from the topbar, a global menu on the top bar. I've tried KDE but I can't unmaximize by dragging down from the top bar using the Active Window Control widget. I also tried some extensions on Gnome but they all seem to be broken in some way.

Attached: 1549456590901.jpg (697x328, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

extensions.gnome.org/extension/1267/no-title-bar/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

wm's are best for space saving and productivity in general

Xfce is the only GnuLinux that's usable

> All it needs to have is window bar merging with top bar when a window is maximized
>global menu on the top bar.
Ubuntu Mate can do this. Don't know about unmaximizing by dragging though

Attached: mate.png (1678x1047, 204K)

nice screen tear faggot

use something tiling

i3 without the titlebars

doesn't happen here on linux mint 19.1 my dude

you're going to want a tiling wm if you really want to save space. config i3 to not have boarders or any bars at all for that matter is probably the easiest one to do. xmonad or openbox aren't bad choices. dwm is for retards that think needing to compile after every config change makes it better.

this is the extension I use for gnome, window controls in panel, drag to unmaximize also, no global menu though.extensions.gnome.org/extension/1267/no-title-bar/

windows 10 with the taskbar on the left

kde has a global menu now, and i think it works w gtk progs as well

xfce

OP here, that's what I'm currently using, but I can't unmaximize windows by dragging down the top bar

basically pic related?
use the latest Latte dock version, don't use active window control since it's abandonware, the Latte dock developer has made a couple of widgets that can perfectly emulate Unity , check his repo psifidotos on github, basically what you need is applet-window-buttons and applet-window-title

Attached: KDE.png (1920x1080, 128K)

Can you drag down from the top bar to unmaximize and move the window?

Attached: the-foot.webm (1280x720, 1.13M)

>anything on the screen but a clock
>saving screen space
Pick one
>but muh window buttons
Put them in an autohide panel
>but muh menu bar
Learn to press alt

???how? What am I looking at?

yes, that's why you need a recent version of latte dock and window title

Unironically, Jow ForumsDE. Just let me finish basic stuff.

By the way, what should move windows: super+ mouse drag, or alt + mouse drag, like in all normal WM?

Attached: GDE.png (1920x1080, 83K)

Super

Attached: simplescreenrecorder-2019-02-06_19.22.01.webm (1110x708, 2.22M)

Okay.
How about "Super" bringing menu?

Holy shit, what version of KDE Plasma and Latte are you using? Which widgets? Can you drag down from the global menu to move the window too?

what's wrong with compiling a tiny program? it shouldn't take any length of time on pretty much any system. it's nicer than requiring literally every program to implement it's own parser for config files, often unnecessarily.

Also could you try installing Sublime text and tell me if the global menu is broken when you first open the program? I'm missing some entries that appear after switching to another program and coming back to Sublime.

Shortcuts menu? No. Win start menu tier cancer
App menus are opened by a right click on the desktop or anywhere outside of a window
>but full screen windows
Any blank space in the status bar/window buttons bar. There is one right?

>HURR DURR COMPILING

Attached: dwmcompile.webm (1366x768, 782K)

>Win start menu tier cancer
Sure, but what about bringing menu, like right-click menu in OpenBox?
>Any blank space in the status bar/window buttons bar. There is one right?
I will add it later.

I have KDE set up so that bar acts as both a taskbar (launchers, active windows, status icons) and a window bar (global menu, control buttons), so the only screen space used by the DE is a small bar. It still doesn't have dragging down to restore, so I just remembered the keyboard shortcuts.

>Mate
obsolete shit

nice
btw what's that font?

>gnome shell
cringe

Roboto

LXQT

this but I remove every button since I can close it with the overview or keyboard

>LXQT
>can't even snap windows to the sides by default
immediately dropped for xfce

i want this

looks like shit. whats so hard with double clicking a title bar to reduce the window? win10 has alot of goofy bloat effect you might like as well faggot

sour grapes huh?

unironically, fluxbox (if you need floating windows)
or a tiling window mgr

make it customizable you retard

Xfce for DEfags
i3 or dwm for real people

not a DE

That logo is perfect

I installed Window buttons applet from source and window title applet from opendesktop.org (downloaded the .plasmoid file and installed it) but I can't find the option to enable dragging down the window title to unmaximize, how did you do that? My latte dock version is 0.8.1

Oh I'm an idiot, I'm not using the latest latte version, installing it right now

bro just get a bigger screen lol

Oh my god user it works, I finally found a replacement for Unity after months of searching. Thank you so much, may St. Terry grant you what you ask of ye.

Attached: 1536364716356.png (450x399, 223K)