Why should C/C++ be learned as a first programming language instead of Python?

Why should C/C++ be learned as a first programming language instead of Python?

Attached: 12984725235625.jpg (657x527, 24K)

Attached: the-bjarne-pill.jpg (1794x858, 377K)

So impractical, useless elitism? Got it. I'll make sure to recommend Python from now on and highly discourage any interaction with C/C++.

You definitely shouldn't learn C++ as a first language.
C? Eh maybe, if you want to work on systems or embedded programming.
Python isn't good at anything though. Scheme with SICP is probably the best first step.

Because it's both simple and versatile.
Simple because there's not many concepts to learn.
Versatile because many other languages are based on it.
Also it can be used for many applications, which is great.

I'm talking about C, not C++, of course

>Python isn't good at anything though
Its good at a lot, great at data science, but good doesn’t mean best.

>impractical, useless elitism
The world runs on C++. It's hardly impractical.

C++ shouldn't be learned at all.

> muh elitism
Found the commie

Name one program/programming language/workflow that is better than python for data analysis.

R.

To learn the basics

When you know whats a heap, stack, pointer or linked list is and how they work it will help you make better code regardless of tools or platform

Mathematica. But I guess paying money for good software is a spook, so nobody uses it.

Does any of you actually do any data analysis? Both R and mathematica are for brainlets, and are just terrible overall.

>Mathematica.
t. Stephen Wolfram.
How is Mathematics better than Python.

>go to school
>know close to nothing about programming
>very first programming course is fucking Java
>yeah okay
>I have no idea whats going on what the fuck is this

years later see how absolutely retarded that was
you should start with the simple stuff

>t butthurt python "professional"

pretty much

Because it's a fucking fractal of various concepts and nobody will understand it whole. I'm talking about C++, most beginner courses in C++ use it as a C with easier memory management.

your first language should obviously be [spoiler]Swift[/spoiler]

Attached: 1495825050138.jpg (882x640, 87K)

It's not elitist to require that people working on critical infrastructure and life safety equipment design/fabrication actually understand what the fuck they're doing. Python is okay for scripting. You can't write foundational things with it because it's too slow and unwieldy when a codebase gets large. People build on top of foundations. They need to be fast and extremely reliable.

Python is the go to language in ai disciplines like machine learning, loads of non cs sciences use it such as simulations within biology, as well as data science

It’s probably not better than c++ from a speed stand point obviously though.
It does make programming easier for people who aren’t super into programming. I have a biology friend who is planning on learning it because it’s pretty useful in his field. He doesn’t care about cs, and will probably never learn another language, he just wants this skill to use in his research. For reasons like that I’m glad python exists

these people are seriously better off using actual GUI plataforms for bioinformatics rather than learning python/biopy/pandas/scikit-learn.

Those AI and simulation tools are written in C++. Python has just become the UI for these scientific tools for whatever reason. People writing their own scientific tools in Python without leaning heavily on something actually written in C++ will quickly realize their code is slow as fuck and eats memory like mad.

You need to learn assembly first so you know what the other languages are doing.

Do those libraries bring written in c++ really matter though?
Like yea python isn’t the fastest thing ever written. It’s good those are c++ extensions

I don’t know shit about the subject really.
It seems like python is the go to language is the sciences, maybe even more popular than GUI tools
Idk why though

I've never heard of a programming language called C/C++. It does remind me of a couple of other languages though. C is alright as a first language since it's very simple, and C++ is the opposite.

Yes it matters. Python is like bash shell script in that the most utility is had from using it as glue between tools written outside of it. Writing large novel things in Python is an antipattern. The best part about Python is the ecosystem. The language itself is pretty awful.

Java or C# should be taugth as the first programming language

what about the gossips that he himself never made or seriously participated on any serious professional software development?

Bjarne is Jacques Rousseau of a software engineering world

I’m working with Python, but should I switch to C to form a better foundation? My first project is a text-based adventure game.

Java is dead, bro. Sure, OpenJDK exists, but Oracle is going to take all their devs off the project and are going to actively fight it in a year or two. Mark my words. Larry is a cunt who would burn his yacht with his family on it for the insurance money to build a new yacht.

C is a great first language. The rules are very simple and the standard lib is small. The skills transfer very well to other langs.

C++ is a fucking dumpster fire that can do literally anything quickly in the most complicated fashion possible. If you try to learn C++ as a first language, god help you.

Python is something on the order of 10-15x slower than C++
All the heavy data processing is offloaded to libs made with C/C++ ironically enough.

Python is fine for building trivial things like that. It would be a good learning project for C, but you're better off buying a textbook and doing the exercises, or using an online learning course. If you just jump into C with the idea of "I'm gonna make a thing!", you'll quickly get lost.

cause else retards donno about hardware.

Stop posting and deleting frogs, every time I think something good was posted and checking the archives is a waste of time every time.

Attached: 1475930060946.jpg (1002x1500, 1.43M)

Recommendations for C textbooks? K&R is apparently both simultaneously essential and also outdated and bad, and I can’t sort through the memes to know the truth on this.

Mostly myths, since I've also read accounts of people working with him in the past.
I do doubt that he's actively doing grunt work, since he's too busy herding the cats in the sepples committe and being director of technology at morgan stanley at the same time.

That's retarded, K&R is fine. You'll certainly learn the language with it.

>that is better than python for data analysis
Anything.
It has many libraries because any faggots can write a Python library. But it's low quality.

The serious people are using C++ or FORTRAN.

>why should C++ be learned
it shouldn't.
>why should C be learned
it's simple, and easy to get started with. there isn't much to learn really, and you'll be able to get a strong understanding of the basics with it, that then translate to other more advanced programming languages. it'll also let you understand more of whats actually going on with your program that can be obfuscated by higher level programming. so as a first language it'll teach you many things that'll be useful almost no matter which language you transition to.

C the hard way

K&R is the second best book after the bible.
What's outdated are the string "library" that is hilariously outdated and insecure.

Read K&R then read the stuff written by the OpenBSD people and you'll be fine.

strings don't exist

Yes, that's the issue.
Arrays don't really exist either. C was made to write system code, not to manipulate data.

arrays exist as a sequence of bytes in memory
C shows you the truth

No one uses C++ or fortran for analysis, only heavy numerics.
Python is very popular when it comes to analyzing whatever the fast code spits out.

t. Serious people

I would suppose that starting with Python would be a better option than starting with Javascript.