Is there a single more nerve wracking experience in all of technology than this?

Is there a single more nerve wracking experience in all of technology than this?

Attached: installing-cpu.jpg (700x467, 60K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5rPr2JSKeQ0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Don't Intel motherboards come with a plastic thing that makes it nearly impossible to fuck up aligning or inserting the CPU into the socket? Not sure how AMD works.

Yes, when you install a new rig, press the power button and nothing happens

on amd mobos you just drop it in the socket. if it falls it's all good, if it doesn't try again

Removing the outer shell from a G4 emac without ripping the power cable.

Its the same exact shit. There are ridges to guide which way is "UP" and drop it without any issue.

that installation tool youre talking about is retarded, plus the cpu on intel mobos doesnt even touch the pins until you push down the latch so its really hard to fuck it up

How is that nerve racking? Pushing a stick of ram in that's hard to install is worse.

ddr3 ram was literal cancer to install

Holding two sub-critical masses apart with the end of a screwdriver was probably a bit nerve wracking.

Attached: demon core.jpg (1024x415, 72K)

I find the 24 pin motherboard power connector much worse. I've never been comfortable with how much force it takes to push that thing all the way in. CPU is literally just put it in and crank the retention arm with no forcing involved.

Attached: 1485616309263.gif (480x270, 1.21M)

didnt he die

fucking SATA sockets between two standoffs

Yes. 2 did

This.

I always end up somehow bleeding and dripping blood after I do the power connectors.

All ppl who worked on it died

getting the heatsink on scares me more

Front panel connectors are a much bigger pain in the arse. I've got small hands, and I find it fiddly as fuck. Motherboard design needs a major revision.

Nah.

Installing the cooler is far more stressful imo. It

imagine being such a brainlet you dont know how to align a cpu

this happened
then I realized my motherboard doesn't support RAM I've installed

>The installation takes over 15 minutes on the same percentage

Attached: Monkaw.jpg (383x383, 15K)

/Thread
Don't be fucking retarded.

>this thread again

reminder this is a shitty marketing psy op to make people feel better about the upcoming motherboards with soldered cpus.
enjoy these while you can.

Attached: rsiss-d38zlif.jpg (900x675, 105K)

Installing the cooler on an IHS-less chip like an Athlon XP was definitely one of the scarier parts of maintaining my first homebuilt pc. Fortunately those little shits would keep on trucking as long as you didn't actually crack the die, mine had chips taken out of the die edges from repasting and reseating it constantly but still worked great.

I prefer PGA for my processors, much easier to properly locate the CPU the right way. With a LGA CPU package it's hard to tell, but honestly I don't worry about the clamping down phase at all. It's the act of placing the CPU on the socket correctly that gives me the heebie jeebies. Drop it and it's all over, put it down wrong and now you have to pick it back up and risk dropping it on the pins again. With a PGA CPU you just bend the pins back no problem, with LGA you risk making it worse oh and you have to buy an entire new motherboard and completely disassemble whatever you were working on lolololol

based schizoposter

Asus doesn't even include the instructions in the manual anymore but a qr code to .pdf.

Why? Ram is by far the easiest component to install.

Who the fuck can't install a goddamn cpu after he knows what to look out for?

gigabyte really did it well with that fuckin q connector thing, saved my ass

The scary pop / possible smoke when an old board fries. You think shit's a bomb.

someone made almost this exact same post...what was it 6 or 7 years ago when Intel first announced they'd be making soldered boards

now guess what didn't happen

Yes, the ones that come with pins you can actually bend

Attached: 5.jpg (550x413, 203K)

>>reminder this is a shitty marketing psy op to make people feel better about the upcoming motherboards with soldered cpus.
first day on Jow Forums?

only AMD fags have this fear with the retarded pins that can snap in an instant. Intel master race does have them.

>soldered laptop cpus didn't happen

What? SATA drives called. It's not physically possible to fuck it up.

Pentiums and 486s have some beastly pins, I've bent many back into working shape from what seemed like destruction.

that image is scarier than any horror movie.
DELETE IT

>using a socketed cpu on a throwaway appliance computer that is intentionally built to be as difficult to open as possible

don't buy garbage at wal mart, problem solved

Yes, coming out to your parents.

You can't fuck up ram either. It only goes in one way. You can't even physically install a ddr stick into a different generation slot.

It's not nerve racking. But it is a pain in the arse. I've a new chip coming from fleabay and I'm already annoyed about the hassle I'm going to have putting the new chip in. Remove and clean heatsink. Remove and clean old chip. Put new chip in. Apply thermal paste. Put heatsink back in. A complete fucking waste of time. CPUs on PCIe slots need to become the standard.

All laptops except some gaming ones with desktop cpus are soldered. Even the ones in business laptops that can be opened without tools.

Only Intel babbies have this fear that they can bend their shitty turbo pin-lett socket on their shitty refresh board, AMD Patrician's choice doesnt have this uncertainty

that isnt technology, thats fagology.

lol baby tier. try this.

>hit power button
>system starts POST beeps
>screen goes black, fans shut down
>smell of burnt plastic
>blue-gray smoke rises from tower

>locking the cpu with the bendy toothpick tier lever that feels like it will snap any second
>how much cooling paste
>aftermarket cooler tightening to mobo that feels like it will bend
>tight ram slots, usually ram isn't seated correctly on first startup
are all scary the first time because especially the cpu locking lever really feels like it will break. When you build your 2nd, 3rd, so on PC you know to expect them and you know it will go well anyway.

Attached: Transport_tubes.jpg (575x288, 33K)

Attached: 8bitcuck.webm (852x478, 2.58M)

factually wrong because the cpu doesnt even make contact with the pins until you push the lever down, it lays 1/8th of an inch above the pins

I've had to use so much force on ram that I thought I was going to break the motherboard, turned out I cut my fingers on the ram and I got a tiny bit of blood on the inside of the case. No CPU ever felt half as bad as that ram.

Have you tried installing a Socket A processor before? Now that's scary, the design itself is retarded.

>the cpu doesnt even make contact with the pins until you push the lever down
Christ that's horrifying

That depended on the design of the clamps on the CPU cooler, the pentium 3 had the same issue. Some were pretty easy to install, others were a challenge mainly because of their stupid engineering.
Also don't forget how putting on the cooler backwards essentially killed the cpu, lel

Mobos bending under the pressure you need to properly connect the 24pin ATX cord are far worse

Holy shit this asshole deserved it

Sadly it only "fixed" his issue.

What was the issue tho? "This actual 70s computer is working a little too ok so Imma connect it to a modern psu"?

Shorted capacitor made the system not boot but didn't blow up
He blew up that cap and the short was gone

Sauce for the video?

na its a good thing since you really cant bend the pins at all unless you misalign it like a retard

youtube.com/watch?v=5rPr2JSKeQ0

that happened to me.
Turns out the issue was I was being so paranoid about breaking things that I didn't plug most of the components in hard enough.

My 24 pin MB power cable wasn't inserted properly on the PSU side.
MB still had power for its small status LED and USB ports though

This, and then you realize the PSU switch was open.

That shit still worked after that holy hell.

that's not nerve wracking, what is though is when you have a cpu cooler mounting bracket that needs to be so fuckin tight you feel like you're about to break something

formatting a drive is way more stressful

>what is delidding

This is retarded, current day this shit is almost fool proof

Come back when you cracked your bare die Athlon Thunderbird because you misaligned the CPU cooler. And even doing that wrong was mostly reserved for idiots.

Yeah, fuckers.

JUST SHOW ME THE PIN DIAGRAM, I DON'T NEED THE MANUAL IN 50 FUCKING DIALECTS OF VIETNAMESE

Voltmodding with a fucking pencil lead bro.
Those were the days.

running a medium sized company's entire cloud bullshit and IRL crossconnect to it, its killing me.

Inserting RAM can be scary for first-timers. I was helping a friend build his first pc and he didn't insert the RAM sticks all the way because he said he was afraid it would break the mobo. I had to show him how much pressure the boards can actually withstand and insert a few sticks for him.

>unless you misalign it like a retard
It is intel, right?

What the fuck was he thinking? I wouldn't want to be in the same room as that thing without 100lbs of lead shielding attached to my body, and only if it was under a foot of water the whole time I was working on it.
I guess you don't have to be smart to be a nuclear physicist.

Please explain for a brainlet: what happens if they touch? Big boom?

Honestly installing the heatsink was more nerve racking since you have to be careful with how you align it to the mounts on the opposite side.

Why yes, try installing a fucking stock cooler on AMD's CPUs like the thunderbird which has no heat spreader.

The fucking stock heatsink could only be installed with a flat head with enough force to make you cringe.

Install it wrong and it could crush your CPU die, you slip a bit with the flat head and you fuck up your motherboard.

Attached: heatsink.jpg (355x355, 18K)

still works if you straighten

threadripper is really odd, you have to use so much pressure to get it screwed in, but it slides in on rails so anyone can get it in place.

PGA>LGA

Whenever I put a fucking heatsink on an LGA CPU I want to scream in fear the entire time

Attached: twowhores.jpg (1280x720, 145K)

this actually
you could break your board without knowing

ye

this
this

Attached: cooler.jpg (636x454, 42K)

Is this a good time to admit that this whole computer stuff is pretty stressful as a process and that we're a bunch of masochists?

Pretty sure socketing a CPU is failure proof unless you go out of your way to fuck it up, senpai.

>have to go to the gym for a month prior to install
what the fuck were they thinking?

The original ones from intel are okay, mine still werk fine since the pentium 4 days. The shittier clones though self destruct the pushpins.

I don't know why that guy even makes videos. He ruins everything he touches. Like the several systems he retrobrites and ends up fucking destroying the cases. And the one where the case had a hole in it so it tries to fill it in but can't match the color so he spray paints the entire fucking thing black.

>People literally scared of assembling bionicle level components.
ffs guys, it's not that difficult.

I wouldn't know

Attached: D3E29EF2-289D-4761-A204-E6287485FAE0.jpg (1280x720, 169K)

he's gotta fill the void of inept public access tv hosts now that public access tv is youtube now. youtube content is only useful for: a) learning how to do things incorrectly b) having something droning on to help you fall asleep c) watching commentaries on commentaries on commentaries on commentaries or d) accessing rare recordings

Not really, it produced heat but it released huge amounts of radiation, which killed him and some other people

this was even more nerve wracking for me desu i dont like pins on the cpu

But they're really easy to bend back if you somehow end up bending them. I had a Sempron with four bent pins and it took me less than a minute to get them back in line with the other pins using a small flathead screwdriver.

ZIF sockets are pure sex
unlike that lga crap where the dingus end is reversed
disgusting

pushing in the 24 pin when it's slightly stiff with a motherboard that's on the thin side

Only if you are not retarded

Based Satan reminding us of his existence.
This happened with my current machine. Turns out motherboards are only designed to work with one generation of CPU.