HAPPENING ANDROID 7/8/9 PNG REMOTE CODE EXECUTION

Time to say goodbye to your boorus and 4channels on your Android phone unless you use a first party Google phone

source.android.com/security/bulletin/2019-02-01
>The most severe vulnerability in this section could enable a remote attacker using a specially crafted PNG file to execute arbitrary code within the context of a privileged process

It's not difficult to imagine that once it's reverse engineered such pictures will swarm Jow Forums and Android users viewing them would get their data stolen. And it will take some time for some vendors to patch their builds

CVE-2019-1986 / CVE-2019-1987 / CVE-2019-1988

Attached: broken-android.jpg (433x238, 9K)

lineage will get patched too who cares

>who cares
/csg/ for sure

Not all devices. Especially 14.1 ones. January bulletin is still not merged. That says something.

galaxy s3 has unofficial 9.0 build with latest patches. that's a 7 year old phone

why would they care? it's a shill general.

A PNG file is a resource. Resources need to be loaded by an application.

Made by some pajeet developer. Fuck that shit.

How the fuck can a PNG file "execute code"? What are they even talking about?

Oh and good luck getting patches for proprietary components like firmware and other blobs faggot. 7 year old phone, still vulnerable.

thank you, I thought I was going insane

>Resources need to be loaded by an application.
if png file is opened using the android framework it will execute encoded code in the context of said application

does this mean i can root my phone without resetting it?

vulnerability only works in the context of host application
malicious code can't get elevated above permissions that are given to the application
so it's impossible but still most popular apps have a wide range of permissions that are already given to them
so viewing such file could potentially fuck up your system pretty good, you could lose your SD/USB files or get them uploaded into the interwebz

Androiddlers btfo?
>how the fuck do you hide malicious code inside a png?

header parsing, most probably
gonna be a fun week

>hide malicious code inside a png?
Converting code to an image doesn't mean the code can be executed, for fucks sake. It's an image. It shouldn't be executable.

>yet another false flag put in place by jewggle to boost its dead image format (along with their own exploits for it so they can spy even more than they already do)
fucking pathetic

tfw I'm on android 6
feels good

>using anything above Marshmlalow

Same. Was actually thinking about updating recently.

>tfw Android 4.4 masterrace

is it android specific or some libpng thing?

>Tfw still running android 4

>a remote attacker using a specially crafted PNG file to execute arbitrary code within the context of a privileged process
Damn, how am I going to view pictures from root apps now.

You sound like my dad when he downloaded an image.png.exe

I'm on Android 4 so suck my nuts

>assuming the platform and service mitigations are turned off for development purposes

Its fucking nothing.

Isn't your browser an application?

>.png extension
>executable by default
No. Your OS will consider it an image and won't execute it even if it is an actual executable. If your shitty gallery app does something else then it is to blame.

Why even question? Shitania, come here you dumb cunt!

There have been RCE vulnerabilities patched in nearly every monthly update but ok

[insert comment here]

Attached: 1540064236245.gif (500x545, 263K)

This reminds me of the "clock.gif" which was popular on dumbphones. It basically rebooted your phone after the animation was complete (pocket watch got closed). Though I assume this is much more severe.

BASED.

dumb anime poster