Okay so im swiyching my old laptop from windows 10 to a linux. Im not sure what linux yet. Any advice...

Okay so im swiyching my old laptop from windows 10 to a linux. Im not sure what linux yet. Any advice? Not sure what am i using it for yet.

Attached: SAVE_20190206_222330.png (150x177, 14K)

mint or Ubuntu
ignore all other meme os if this is your first

Linux Mint Cinnamon or Xfce. Anything else is a meme. Don't use GNOME because it's shit on laptops. Don't use KDE because it's confusing as fuck despite being the best DE, you won't like it as a "beginner".

What sort of experience do you have with linux? Would you say you're closer to a power user or a casual/new user?

Don't use mint. If you know nothing sure use ubuntu with all the standard bloatware, you can slowly find your way around and always switch to something else.

If you want a slightly steeper learning curve then use Debian.

Don't listen to this idiot. Mint polishes their OS far better for desktop use than Ubuntu. I'm saying this as someone who used all Ubuntu variants for years and gave Mint a try when 19.0 was released. It's just much better out of the box.
And definitely don't use Debian, OP.

Only time i have used linux( tails) is when i went to deep web 2 times

This. Honestly Mint is just a shittier Ubunty

Install Ubuntu, you can use something else for sure, but it's just the easiest starting point

Mint is a cancer

Why is it shittier?

I'd say some version of Ubuntu would work for you, because it just werks as the kids say. I personally like Lubuntu or Xubuntu but honestly choose whatever looks best to you and comes with what you want or doesnt have what you dont want. I wouldnt reccomend any distro that uses GNOME as its desktop environment for an old laptop though, because it's a real resource hog.

I'm personally trying out xubuntu, then again this is on really old hardware. When i get a more modern machine I dunno if I'm gonna stick with it or go to something like normal ubuntu. Has seemed alright so far and some of my issues are probably more hardware related and not the OS itself since age.

Because it's more convenient and requires less effort. Everything is a shittier version of arch, which is a shittier version of gentoo.

tldr some people on Jow Forums are autistic

Useless fork imo, I'm not a master of all its features but in my experience its just a funky Ubuntu distro that adds nothing and is more obscure than Ubuntu so any distro-specific issues to Mint would be more difficult to find

How is Mint easier than Ubuntu?

Depends, do you plan on actually learning how Linux works ? If so, install Arch (or Gentoo if you want to learn the hardcore way).
If you just want it to work right away then Ubuntu or Mint

It literally adds nothing to it, while Ubuntu is a bit saner version of Debian

Non-retarded UI layout.
Fixes screen tearing on Xfce and has slightly less shit default software.

Step one: Look at the differences between each desktop environment (KDE, GNOME, Xfce, MATE etc). Pick the one you like the most.

Step two: Find the Ubuntu "flavor" that comes with this graphical environment e.g: Xubuntu for Xfce. Preferably the LTS version.

Step three: Enjoy a Linux distro that works very well from the first minute and don't be afraid to ask on the forums more about how it works.

UI on default Ubuntu is retarded but the variants make up for it. I've not had difference in utility of the default software and screen tearing is an easy fix it its a problem. I'd say overall its not worth the more obscure distro. But OP would have to decide if he prefers the default software

I'd say Linux Mint or any flavor of Ubuntu. Debian/Devuan if you're not afraid to tweak things a bit. Mind you though Linux Mint and Ubuntu have much newer software than Debian and Devuan, but their security isn't as good nor are they as stable.

Non ironically for a newbie by far the best system is elementary OS.

Before everyone goes apeshit. Yes I am on Gentoo and everyone should be on Gentoo always even their toasters should run Gentoo.

But for a noob eOS is by far the best choice.

Whats your experience with elementary OS? Sounds good as a gentoo user whose fridge runs on gentoo

CoC Linux is the best.
It offers a CoC and some shit by some ex nazi dudes who are no longer writing that shit
I am the owner of CoC Linux and we send security updates on the CoC hourly.
We fire everyone who contributes code
and instead we ensure that our greasy fingers are always up your ass hole waiting to ban you from our politically correct forums where the only acceptable posts are ones saying
how great CoC linux is. We dont have problems at CoC Linux we have public executions

>screen tearing is an easy fix it its a problem
It shouldn't be a problem. That's the point. Mint is literally a fixed/better Ubuntu, it's not "more obscure" whatever that means. It's 100% compatible with LTS Ubuntu and it's flavors.

MX Linux, not trolling. It's debian stable with some good tools for newbies coming from windows to linux plus no systemdcuckery

If you are a legitimate noob it is wonderful. Usability is actually very good the defaults are perfect compared to KDE and Gnome.

I can't say how stable it is with updates since I don't use it as main but seeing that it is based on Ubuntu I assume it shouldn't make much problem

seconding this. I really enjoy something akin to basic Debian without the fuckery that comes with Ubuntu and something else on top of it (aka Mint)