Remember when Apple design was kino? One of these days I want to take an old iMac G4 and mod it with a NUC

Remember when Apple design was kino? One of these days I want to take an old iMac G4 and mod it with a NUC.

Attached: 1213474049053.jpg (1024x798, 335K)

Nope never happened.

Didnt the 20th Anaversary Mac HAVE to be sold with the "Bose" stereo?
Also the only "GOOD" styled Macs that apple made was the iMac(g3), G4 (mirror), G4 cube,
and the G5/MacPro. That's it.

Now SGI on the other hand they took 1st place when it came to design and hardware!

>destroy a perfectly functional powerPC processor for some shitty thing that will be probably used for games
>>>/reddit/
SGI had nice workstation designs, but Sun took the crown in servers

>Sun was the king of server
Amen

I wish someone still had the molds for the SGI workstations so they can be moddifyed to work with ATX mobos and PSUs.

I wonder how hard it would be to take the plastic shroud off an O2 and make molds with it. After that it would just be a matter of finding the right plastics and colors, and I can't imagine it would be that difficult to cut and join some metal sheets to create the case itself. From there you'd just need to stick a motherboard, PSU, some LEDs, and buttons into the case. Maybe paint on some logos afterwards.

Attached: DtnBzXYWsAYJ8_7.jpglarge.jpg (1176x733, 57K)

Attached: 1541751354320.png (979x835, 616K)

Remember when you shat in the street? Oh yeah that was 10 minutes ago.

Attached: 1544964623459.jpg (643x960, 255K)

> never happened

Nope. The 2011 lineup was greatest of all time. I still use half the shit in that photo 7 years later.

Attached: Apple.jpg (670x409, 56K)

It can be done, people on Nekochan/IRIX net have already made 3D printed SBC cases based on SGI designs, but for larger systems there's probably just not that much interest. Most people with the interest level and skills to do such a thing competently usually tend to like SGI hardware that is actually SGI hardware rather than a generic Youtube/Facebook machine living in the plastics of one.

>muh real hardware
If you're using SGI machines because they're MIPS and you wanna be different, you're actually autistic. MaXX runs fine on Linux and offers all the aesthetics of 4Dwm and the Indigo Magic Desktop. IRIX has no good software anymore, and the core OS is just outdated Unix that you can slap outdated GNU and BSD utils into to make it somewhat useful. SGI hardware is expensive and difficult to keep running with all the proprietary and hard to find parts these days. My O2 is still broken and I have no plans to fix it, because it's cheaper to just buy another one for like $500.

Attached: Screenshot_20190120_094926.png (1600x1200, 128K)

stop saying kino outside of /tv/ you fucking redditor

Kino post.

Isn't MAXX a half-propietary clusterfuck? Besides it's fun just messing around with how a different architecture works and acts

I have a hard time seeing where you’re coming from considering you’re trying to show off that you’re daily driving an objectively inferior, proprietary and poorly maintained desktop environment whose only selling point is imitating an outdated interface on modern hardware while trying to accuse others of doing things for shallow, attention-seeking reasons.

You don’t seem to have much experience with IRIX/SGI systems in general or even the slightest knowledge of what actually makes them unique, interesting or worth owning. It’s far more than the pedestrian and frankly quite mediocre off-the-shelf MIPS processors buried under countless layers of abstraction, and this whole post really just makes you look like the kind of person you’re trying to accuse me of being for suggesting that maybe it’s not ideal to destroy fascinating pieces of technological history and engineering in a quest to chase outdated aesthetics of the past without having to learn anything from them.

Stop spamming, wintoddler.

What do you recommend to buy?
A Macintosh Portable?
A Powermac G4?
eMac or Imac G3/G4?
I don't have experience with retro computers yet. I don't want to deal with DOS or M68k shit yet.

>M68K
Nevermind, the Macintosh Portable uses a M68k CPU.

You could have fun with any of those, really. It's down to your preferred form factor and what specific applications/uses you want to mess with, if any.
Yes, and finding one in decent shape at a reasonable price for a beginner would also probably be quite difficult. I wouldn't totally disregard 68k though, an 040 system with built-in Ethernet wouldn't be any more or less troublesome to get things on/off of than a beige PowerPC box. Plenty of software for either on the Macintosh Garden.

But of all those I'd probably lean towards the Power Mac if you want something more expandable or relatively powerful for its own time, or you have limited space since you can just throw that on a KVM switch with your main machine, but an iMac or eMac are also fine choices if you'd want to dedicate a space to whatever you end up with and prefer that look.

Fuck off back to manchild, and take your manchild fruit toys with you.

Attached: 1526202344133.png (400x1650, 367K)

It's proprietary, messy as hell to install and has a history of being abandoned whenever the author doesn't feel like working on it since it's just a side project for them. Plus, no modern applications are consistent with it anyway. I'd rather just have real IRIX when I want it and use a proper DE on my modern Linux systems.

Sweet, thanks for helping me build my anti-shill filter.

ftfy

Attached: wintards.jpg (355x1280, 48K)

Apple is run by literal faggots, user.. what do you expect to come from a deranged mind? Deranged garbage..

you're exactly the kind of autistic hipster casual you're complaining about, and literally the only such person in this thread so far

what does kino even mean

A literal meme word for "good".

Also why can't we have good nostalgic apple threads without baitposters shitting up the place?

Attached: file.png (489x351, 172K)

Russian for cinema.

literally a e s t h e t i c s rebranded

It's the same handful of attention starved retards every time, just filter their image MD5s and specific buzzwords.

Why can't appletard manchildren fuck off back to where they belong?

>Also why can't we have good nostalgic apple threads without baitposters shitting up the place?
It's literally just one winjeet who posts the same images over and over.

You missed the offramp to cocksmoker.

literally a single street shitting ipajeet's mandated shill word for when he makes his 2 rupee shill threads on Jow Forums
if he doesn't use it his sup docks him 1 rupee

Attached: 1529703562913.jpg (643x960, 255K)

# false flag apple shill shit
/bL8vWQVXo0X7OOUyvy2/xg==/;stub:no
/p6JSyUqdvHea1Lc20WxSPQ==/;stub:no
/VGBfal1QNjlKOwLLbaJjDQ==/;stub:no
/4s4A4mltQY2rSFO6Tjq8AA==/;stub:no
/2cSCnM9i/N99IFYaDnmQMg==/;stub:no
of course there's way more but I add shit as I go

How I can filter image MD5s?

MaXX is proprietary, yes.

The only mildly interesting thing about SGI hardware is the graphics boards with OpenGL shit built in. The PROM is also a bit interesting. Otherwise there's really nothing there but a standard MIPS processor and a bunch of proprietary memory modules. The most interesting part of an SGI machine by far is IRIX and 4Dwm. The enhanced Motif widgets are great. There's no reason why this can't and shouldn't be replicated on a modern OS.

But if you want to be all high and mighty while you cling to failing hardware, tell me what exactly there is I should "learn" from IRIX or SGI machines. All the best parts like XFS and OpenGL made their way into Linux years ago.

Attached: akm4VQdk_700w_0.jpg (326x294, 17K)

just buy a talos ii from raptorpc

Beautiful aesthetics

i hate applel, but fags can't deny that it's the timeline when they actually both care about looks and usefulness.

iphone 4 antennas tho.

>Didnt the 20th Anaversary Mac HAVE to be sold with the "Bose" stereo?
Yes, the subwoofer contained the power supply.