How long does a laptop last?

I have a skewed perception of laptops because I've always used and taken care of my PC's, and generally my friends/family are computer illiterate and their laptops always ran like shit. I'm not concerned it won't run well, my concern is that it'll get slow really quick. I know that generally laptops need an upgrade quicker than PC's due to battery and heat n stuff, but not sure. How long do laptops usually last before they need an upgrade?

For reference I bought my PC for gaming but nowadays I just browse/stream/schoolwork so it's overkill and I'd rather have the portability.

Attached: 51JFjMqQkfL._SL1024_[1].jpg (1024x760, 54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/VF2j7V2ImTg?t=586
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

at least 5 years

Stupid question. It depends on your personal use case and how well you take care of the hardware. Lots of people on here are using decade-plus old Thinkpads with no problem.

>at least 5 years
lol no
current laptops fall apart in 3-4 years, like literally the hinges turn to dust, keys get unresponsive, and usb ports die

I have 7, 8, and 11 year old thinkpads that are still fine. And I don't treat them nicely, they've been spilled on and dropped. One of them even got part of the bottom melted when I left it next to a radiator.

My x200 is 11 years old and it still runs smoothly with a battery replacement, upgrade to 4GB ram and an SSD.
I haven't felt the need to buy another laptop.

Not if you buy quality and don't abuse it.
Got a 6 year old MBP, 8 year old Asus netbook, and a 15 year old powerbook, all of which still perform and feel like new.

This is of course exempting HDD failures and battery replacement after a good few years.

Replace thermal paste every year and it will take you past 6 years, but thats retarded because your access to websites and other web functions will slowly worsen.

Where did you get the x200 battery? I have an x200t that needs a replacement, but I've always thought those cheap chink ones are sketchy.

Maybe don't treat your stuff like garbage and it'll last longer. Been using a work laptop (dell) for 5+ years 8+ hours a day and no issues that you speak of. Fag.

Unless you use windows you won't really notice a difference even after 10 years.

I have a laptop from 2011 that still works and it was a cheap ass $300 HP laptop.

if a laptop gives up on me after 5+ years of primary use, i wouldn't feel cheated, granted i'm not the most careful with my laptops. less than that and it probably wasn't of good quality (assuming i didn't seriously damage it somehow).

>but our $1399msrp business thinkpads hp dells are fine
that's not the point shitheads, I was talking about regular laptops.
and also I was talking about using those laptops every day instead of a desktop backup that sits on a shelf for 10 months a year.

>buy $300 laptop
>be surprised when it fails
You can get a current-gen T-series for $700-something new. Nobody's suggesting $1400 laptops.
>and also I was talking about using those laptops every day instead of a desktop backup that sits on a shelf for 10 months a year.
Yes, I did use it every day.
And dropped, spilled on, burnt it, etc.

>Yes, I did use it every day.
no you didn't

I used my W510 (which is just a T510 with more RAM slots and a dedicated GPU) as my daily driver for four years of college, plus a little bit before and after that. It still works to this day, though I upgraded to a W520 because the lack of optimus made the battery life shit.

>but our $1399msrp business thinkpads hp dells are fine
>Nobody's suggesting $1400 laptops.
>I used my W510

god damn you're fucking dense. do you know what msrp means?

>How long does a laptop last?
>I was talking about regular laptops.

You didn't specify
Ask stupid questions, get stupid answers

Attached: 1448378647059.jpg (720x990, 77K)

I can easily see my xps 15 9550 lasting another two or three years. Admittedly I get gear-envy, but even if I upgrade this laptop will live on as my fiancee's new replacement.

She bought a refurbed chinkpad because she bought into the meme and it's FUCKING GARBAGE and is barely usable 2 years later.

I've been using a pre-owned laptop for 10 years because I'm too poor to upgrade.

I LITERALLY told you in that post that the W510 is the same shit as a T510, which was nowhere close to $1400.

>which was nowhere close to $1400.
so you dont know what msrp means you massive spastic and I've already told you I was talking about regular non-business grade laptops.
ofcourse a thinkpad with a rollcage and steel hinges lasts for a long time.

nigger.

Attached: thinkpad.png (671x361, 49K)

I'll have to check but I doubt it's anywhere near that price. Hur dur msrp or not

Depends I guess. I've had some that failed under warranty, and I've also got an Inspiron from 1998 running win2k that still has a good battery.

>I doubt it's anywhere near that price.
not right now in the current year you idiot, high msrp means it was a business laptop back then which I specifically excluded from my shitlist.
how high you have to be to think Elitebooks Latitudes and thinkpad W series were less than $1k? especially that retard who mentions macbook pros.

Attached: Dell_D830.png (192x329, 8K)

Holy shit, you're actually retarded.
Are you some ESL monkey?
How many times do I have to tell you this?
The T510 is the exact same shit with lower specs.
The hardware maintenance manual is even the same, because the only component that's any different is the mobo.
Not only that, you cherry-picked a maxed-out one.
From what I can find, the T510 starting price was 739 euro, which is 840 USD at today's rates.

Secondly, I don't know why you're so hung up on 8 year old laptops, when a CURRENT GEN thinkpad T series starts at $750-ish.

>I have 7, 8, and 11 year old thinkpads that are still fine.
>My x200 is 11 years old and it still runs smoothly
>Got a 6 year old MBP, 8 year old Asus netbook, and a 15 year old powerbook, all of which still perform and feel like new.

>I don't know why you're so hung up on 8 year old laptops

put down the blunt bro

>not buying used for less than a new walmart crapbook would cost
My 2011 thinkpad is still fine, I use it every day

Thinkpads don't

>My 2011 thinkpad
>Thinkpads don't
see

I bought a chinkpad in 2015 and it's already basically fucking wrecked. Pretty low build quality machine, I used a cheapo Acer laptop from 2009-2015 and it worked good as new the whole time (with linux installed). Meanwhile the chinkpad's display is messed up and the right half is dim and flickering, and the battery is shot even though I treated it pretty well.

Also have a 2009 macbook that lags a lot but physically is still fine.

i've had my x250 for 3 years now, literally nothing has happened to it so far, other than the palm emblem rubbing off.

i am definitely anything but nice to it.

they're literally recommending the T series, not W series, asshole.

Attached: f4ed40fdc9[1].png (1036x473, 230K)

It's like this.
Business laptops from Dell, Lenovo, HP: should and do last at least 5 years, they sell warranty for that period to loads of customers. Easy to maintain and fix. You usually can't buy these at places where consumer laptops are sold.
Consumer craptops below 400 bucks: cheapest build quality ever, hinges will literally fall apart after some usage
Consumer craptops above 400 bucks: Fragile pieces of shit that cannot be easily maintained. Enjoy taking literally everything apart to clean the fan and apply thermal paste (which you have to do every year since laptops run hot and pick up dust easily).
Apple garbage: Expensive consumer craptops with even more huge technical design flaws so they are even more fragile.
Gayming laptops: Most are similar to consumer laptop but with flashing lights. Run very hot while gaming.

tl;dr: get a business machine/workstation or get assraped

That's great, but I bought it for 400 bucks used. Your argument makes no sense, especially since you picked the highest possible configuration at that time.

I bought my x250 a year ago for 210$, and that's a 2015 laptop.

anyone claiming the modern X2**, T4** and T5** are trash is because they're hung up on their nostalgia googles and 11-year old laptops, meanwhile you can literally buy broadwell and skylake thinkpads for under 300$ easily

mfw browsing this from a 8 year old T520 laptop while sshing in to a 9 year old Tecra laptop that I use as a server.

Attached: 1540915560288.gif (400x225, 1.89M)

ITT retards who don't know how not to beat their laptops up can't fathom how taking care of their electronics will keep them running well for a long time

>anyone claiming the modern X2**, T4** and T5** are trash is because they're hung up on their nostalgia googles and 11-year old laptops
modern thinkpads build quality is objectively shit and you cant compare them to older ones. just use your hands and see how flimsy and chinkshit they are.

>Your argument makes no sense
your life makes no sense. I said current laptops, not $1500 2011 laptops that you bought for $400 in 2018

Current laptops are expensive. Either buy something used or get a low quality acer with muh gaming gpu that will self destruct in 2 years. Your fault.

this
be good to them and they'll be good to you anons
for the most part, sometimes they pull some weird bullshit out of left field but you can fix it

apart from that, someone redpill me on thinkpads, i completely have missed the boat on that whole thing
i was under the impression thinkpads were a meme and nobody legitimately used them

Attached: 1543296081367.png (526x700, 486K)

The battery died quickly after like a year of heavy use. I had to begin the actual components after about 4 years. A refurbished processor from Aliexpress arrived just last week, at least it's an upgrade compared to the the original.

Attached: 1549413348310.png (512x512, 531K)

>don't know how not to beat their laptops up
mfw when reading this on an 8 year old T520 that had cracked corners when I got it then was dropped on the concrete 3 times and rained on.

Attached: putinlaugh.gif (346x244, 3.55M)

Thermal compound properly applied could last a decade perfectly fine. At worst every 3-5 years, but every year is just retarded.

>Either buy something used or get a low quality acer with muh gaming gpu that will self destruct in 2 years. Your fault.
but this is literally what I said. your autism went full circle.

>redpill me on thinkpads
$100 used thinkpad > $1000 new laptop

Attached: thinkpadweapon.jpg (755x961, 412K)

>Your argument makes no sense, especially since you picked the highest possible configuration at that time.
He's hopeless. He's cherrypicking top configurations even though I've informed him numerous times that my $1400 laptop is just a higher specced version of a $750 laptop.

The gaymen laptop jew fears the thinkpad samurai.

Attached: thinkpadmelt.jpg (2048x1224, 576K)

Depends on you. Still running a vaio from 2010.
Good:
>easy to open
>was able to replace shit stock screen with 1080p
>screen hinges are still solid
>larger capacity battery available
>upgraded wifi card
>good keyboard
>survived months with a blocked fan running over 100°C (sibling)
>added 8gb ram

Bad:
>poorly designed fan - needs cleaning every few months but very easy to do
>psu died but i suppose that's expected
>dvd player died - tbe
>ports could be better placed

In short, clean your fan and it will last.

consider me sold

I have 5 laptops in my household.
>4yo Acer with shitty atom cpu - battery is 40% of what it used to be, screen plastic cracked and bends while opening, hinge also loose from the casing (all due to a fall from 3m), but works perfectly
>5yo Toshiba with shitty atom cpu - battery 80% of what it used to be, all worked fine until this year when someone allegedly sat on it. Now the hinge is broken and the lid can't close because it makes the screen flicker
>3yo HP with amd apu - battery dead, everything else perfectly working, it just clicks when opening a lid
>2yo Lenovo with i5 and amd gpu - battery 15% of what it used to be, casing broken on few places due to a fall from 2m, works perfectly
>1yo Asus ROG i7 nvidia - mobo died literally 10 days after 1 year warranty period

So, a few things to look out: build quality, replaceable battery, and being careful around it. Oh and also donct buy gaymen laptops

Attached: thinkpadunboxing.webm (1280x720, 653K)

is this just hype?

>apart from that, someone redpill me on thinkpads, i completely have missed the boat on that whole thing
Solid build in general + extremely easy (relatively speaking) to disassemble + readily available replacement parts = good

Buying used isn't as big a risk as it is with other types of laptops because they're often bought in bulk by companies whose employees actually know how to take care of their equipment, then sold later on in still-great condition.

Recently bit the bullet on a T430 and this thing is just lovely. One of the hinges was a bit janky but it took very little time to take the thing apart, swap out the hinge, and put it back together.

>dude current laptops are shit, you cant compare them with elitebooks and thinkpads that were $1k when they came out
>NUH UH MY $30 W520 IS AMAZING
>He's hopeless. He's cherrypicking
okay.

thank you user
looks like the things are built like a fucking tank too

>Recently bit the bullet on a T430

Attached: T430.jpg (800x1200, 719K)

>Two whole pictures of laptop hardware problems
oh noooooo

I have an HP DV7 from 2009. Used to play Stalker and New Vegas in my bed with it burning at 95C regularly

A real fuckin hero of a laptop

used business laptop unironically. I've owned at least a dozen of them over the years. Sold some off, gave others to family members and friends, donated a few to a local engineering program for kids. Not a single one died, I just outgrew them for one reason or another. All the ones I still see on occasion are still fully operational.
The thinkpads tend to last the longest, but HPs from 2008-2012 are quite good as well.

Attached: acer.png (2518x1024, 291K)

I have no idea what point you're trying to make at this point.
What I'm saying is that the Thinkpad T series is and has always been a solid laptop in the $700 starting range, which is nowhere close to $1400. I used the T510 as an example for something that can last 8 years, using my own (which is a higher trim, but that doesn't make an ounce of difference for longevity) as an example. Why are you sperging out so bad?

I had a refurbished ASUS that lasted one year before a part broke. I soldered a replacement in and got a second year out if it.

Then I got a gaymen lenovo model new, which I used for gaming while traveling and running simulations, although now it is an ssh machine most of the time. It has lasted about 5 years and is going strong apart from cosmetics.

youtube.com/VF2j7V2ImTg?t=586

on a T430 you cant

use 3rd party battery
use dual band AC card
disable Turbo Boost wankery to instantly get -10 C during cpu loads
switch alpm mode from slumber to partial if you got a ssd
disable intel ME features
set custom bios active trip points for your fan
disable bios event log
set ram to 1866mhz

enjoy your thinkpad knockoff.

>Thinkpad T series is and has always been a solid laptop in the $700 starting range

>While this particular configuration we are reviewing currently goes for ~$1400, the base Lenovo ThinkPad T510 actually starts at an amicable $900 if you settle for the default Core i5 520M processor and forgo a handful other features like the discrete graphics in favor of Intel's integrated solution, and Bluetooth connectivity.

yes, I'm the one cherrypicking.

have a refurb '03 compaq running xubuntu 18 04 and previously arrrrglinuz

Attached: thinkpadspill.webm (544x368, 180K)

What model? I have a T450s from 2015 and it's running like it did out of the box (minus battery degradation)

I bought a Thinkpad 25 and intend to make it last as long as possible, there are no other laptops with a real keyboard available any more. This thing is the last of breed of Thinkpads, everything with a chicklet board is nu-top trash.

As long as the caps and vrm-s do.

Lenovo should have stopped changing things at the T420; it was perfect desu. I don't know what inspired them to fuck it all up from there.

Sorry, was meant for

My Lenovo Y700 15" that I bought in mid 2k16 is pretty much dead. Awful build quality and it performs like a fucking Win2k desktop.

maybe try a thinkpad you iToddler faggot

HP Probook 4530s - BGA failure on discrete gpu. Still work with integrated graphics.

Attached: IMG_20190205_115429.jpg (800x450, 66K)

T25 is pretty epic

hp laptop bought in 2010 still going strong. HP DV8 model.

ive got a thinkpad yoga 460 it's hinges are beefy as fuck

If you dont use retard stregnth with your laptop it wont break instantly

I have an 8 year old cheap shit laptop that's still holding up (with the exception of it getting dropped recently). Doesn't feel like the one I bought for uni 6 months ago will be the same case

They last as long as any computer.
Meaning it's all about how you maintain your device. I was still using a 2009 Asus ROG laptop up until late 2018. Sold it to some Overwatch playing kiddo for 200 bucks.

I think you should be able to get 5k+ hours of active usage out of cheap laptops and 20k+ out of business devices, battery lifetime not considered here.

I had an eight years old laptop which failed recently due to motherboard issues, but it got overheated waaay too many times, otherwise it'd probably still work.

Bought my T420 in 2014 and still using it to this day and the battery still holds a charge. Only thing that i changed is getting a ultrabay caddy and a 240gb SSD a month ago.

Though my mother has been using the same trash Intel atom powered Toshiba netbook from around 2012, and my grandparents are still using the same laptop from 2009.

posting from my laptop bought in 2010, except games it runs shit fine

My asus g73 gaming laptop circa 2011 finally took a shit last year. I bought an acer predator for like 40% of the price I paid for that like years ago. I'm a casualfag though so no regrets.

Attached: 1549335356808.jpg (574x863, 73K)

In my case three years before the soldered GPU shit the bed.

My bad 2010*. I bought in 2011. Many a fap and gaemz played, movies watched on it. It had a good run though.

My D630 is old enough to collect a pension. Trucks along a hell of a lot better than the budget IdeaPad that I got a few years ago.

If Apple, two years
If IBM, fifty years

Bought an Aspire 5750g in 2011. While I had to replace the screen because I punched through it in 2014, it still works like a charm

Acer masterrace

Attached: 676765.png (2518x1024, 473K)

I also bought a memepad. (specificly, a R61). Both are nice machines in their own rights, but I still prefer my acer because numpad

How long would you guys say this would last?

>negative canthal tilt
WHO MADE THIS REEE

I have an old dell Inspiron 1501 from 2006 that still runs well.

>CURRENT GEN thinkpad T series starts at $750-is
lolno
starts at around 1.200€ here

Jow Forums on suicide watch

What is Coreboot?