Super Budget PC

What is THE killer used or refurbished PC deal? Im looking into making a home Linux / torrent box / media PC.

Currently ive got an old AMD 965 BE, 750W PSU and a radeon 7870, is using that a better option or is there a great optiplex system or something I should look out for?

Attached: wu_0.jpg (741x1080, 122K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_0qYnzjWBcg
youtube.com/watch?v=-xVe00R03os
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus
youtube.com/watch?v=K8DfjoVApmg
youtu.be/5OFnqLuYZy8
reddit.com/r/hapas/comments/anujzm/exposed_naomi_realsexycyborg_wu_only_dates_white/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

any shitbox with an i5 on your local craigslist so you don't have to pay shipping costs, but even with shipping factored in I managed to get a thinkcentre with an i5 and 8gb of ram for 50 bucks on jewbay

I wonder how much better power consumption and usability would be on something like that versus the old PC parts I have around?

>uncanny valley facial feature, shitty surgery
>plastic titties
>0 ass
I like her voyeur tendencies though, going around incels dressed like that.

>incels

Open source misses the point of free software.

> What is THE killer used or refurbished PC deal?
> home Linux / torrent box / media PC.
NOT used generally, for power efficiency reasons.

You get a $10-100 ARM SBC, or an onboard Intel board. Some Jxxx chip, be it a leftover stock J1900 or a current J5005.

I dont know much about these things how would you setup such a system and what kind of money is it?

I won't be torrenting 24/7 realistically though I dont have a lot I need. Still interesting, though it will probably cost a lot more than using my old system.

One thing I could also maybe use my old system just to have around or play shit on my tv etc.

Maybe I'll do both

You think the comic con guys are Chads?

> how would you setup such a system
For the intel onboard boards, basically build them as usual, except you pick a low wattage PSU. Or even a PicoPSU clone on ali. You get the CPU soldered onto the (ASRock? Gigabyte? Something else?) mainboard already, but the rest of the components are generally installed as normal.

For the ARM SBC, you don't really do much but connect power, add a SD card (or an eMMC module or such) as storage.
Adding a SATA controller and a nice box is an option, but you can attach a drive or more by USB (no problem in particular with USB3 with UAS on models that support it). The SBC vendors got everything needed and extra options in their stores, and Ali has some more stuff and/or cheaper parts.

> what kind of money is it?
You can look up the cost for Jxxx boards, RAM, cheap computer case and so on on your local online stores.
The PicoPSU clone variant of a PSU would be $15-ish. Typically overall cost is something like $100-200 without the drives.

The Odroid XU4 or Rock64Pro will be pricier than lesser SBC at $80-140ish with most options included. Cheaper but then also less fast SBC or HTPC can be had for for $30-40 total cost or so.

The SBC especially however will rather easily run at under 20W (even with ~5W per HDD for 1-2 HDD).
Compare to older rather normal gaymen build's idle power consumption, you'll quickly amortize the power costs if its usually turned on like torrent boxes tend to be. US approximation of difference in cost is $1/year and watt, EU $2/year and watt for 24/7 operation.

Attached: Total-System-Power-Consumption-800x600.png (800x600, 43K)

Sorry, I saw I needed to fix some sentences, it was a bit ambiguous.

Anyhow, even if you just torrent and watch stuff 4-6h a day, it might still be worth it - even if you then far more easily break even on a $40 chinese SBC or HTPC than a decked out $140 Rock64Pro in metal case or $200 J5005.

> One thing I could also maybe use my old system just to have around or play shit on my tv etc.
Sure, that should work.

OTOH I'll point out that for occasional gaming, the XU4 and Rock64Pro and of course the newer Intel J5005 and so on do have enough processing power at least for a lot of less taxing games. There's a rather plentiful number of these particularly on emulators:
youtube.com/watch?v=_0qYnzjWBcg

youtube.com/watch?v=-xVe00R03os

>"I am disgusted at the comments in this thread. I swear, I subscribe to her patreon because she puts out great content!!"
the current state of manjaro users

I'm going to check a user bench of the jb vs my amd 965.

Can I use my 750w corsair or no? I can't use my GPUs with this system either

> Can I use my 750w corsair or no?
For your occasional use gaming PC, maybe. I guess you'll get a hint when you test it with a wall power meter?

That said, efficiency at 10% load or such is usually rather really bad, such that for example in the 80plus rating system only the best "Titanium" models need to even meet an expected level of efficiency.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus

It follows that even for even a modest onboard x86_64 torrent box build, you'd generally simply spend $10-25 or so to get a variant of pic related (they aren't a problem to get with enough power for an efficient x86_64 and 2-5 HDD).

You don't generally run the ARM SBC with any ATX or PicoPSU-esque PSU anyhow, they typically just have 12V (or 24V or so) from a rather typical switching PSU with a round plug like you surely know from laptops and a lot of household appliances.

Attached: 24Pin-12V-DC-Input-Peak-150W-Output-Realan-Mini-ITX-Pico-PSU-DC-ATX-PC-Switch.jpg (1000x1000, 106K)

So really need a new PSU for the low wattage components.

I'll look for any stand out deals, if you know of any let me know. Might be a fun project even If I end up using my old parts as well.

I guess even a pi could work for this shit.

> So really need a new PSU for the low wattage components.
Well, for the ARM SBC it's basically just a 12/24V or something round plug switching PSU like you might already have. You know, pic related.

And for x86_64, again, I don't know your current PSU, but the risk is rather high that a 750W PSU will waste 20-30W if not more at low load.
That is virtually impossible to make happen with the small picoPSU clone thing I just posted and some 12-24V PSU even if you pick the usual Chinese parts. Never mind they'll also be fanless. So yea, just replace.

> I guess even a pi could work for this shit.
Yes, I briefly mentioned it with the other SBC. Even the best RPi3 just aren't as nice though. It's rather shitty in terms of its shared bandwidth between network card and the USB controller that the HDD will run off of. Second, it throttles the anyhow pretty weak SoC like a bitch if you have it passively cooled and even play media - you'll be running a fan on it. Third, even the top performance is quite a lot less than various ~equally priced Orange/Banana Pi (and friends), never mind the simply far faster Rock64Pro and faster XU4. But I guess it would do.

Attached: PSU.jpg (1000x1000, 176K)

Do these things have good Linux compatibility? What about with tails in particular?

My VPN is PIA also, I wonder if their software supports arm, I prefer the software over manual config

t. roastie

I think there is a big black dick for every special girl like you, keep looking!

Only roasties use incel

>.t never actually seen a woman in real life

> Do these things have good Linux compatibility?
The SBC are generally *primarily* meant to run Linux, although they sometimes support Android.

The onboard x86_64 - well, obviously those also supports Linux

> What about with tails in particular?
That's a unconventional choice for either seedboxes OR media viewing / gaming / web browsing machines.

It seems like Tails curiously doesn't even have ARM builds, so I'm pretty sure you'd want a x86_64 if you really wanted that.

Is there any reason why you'd want it over just, IDK, running tor and maybe some sandbox on whatever other distro?

>uncanny valley facial feature, shitty surgery
>plastic titties

She has a bimbo fetish.
She even draws attention to the plastic in her tiddies by sticking LEDs in her shirt to make them glow.

I just trust tails for tor like communication more. It wouldnt be for torrenting mainly.

Fuck you, nigga.

Attached: chinese linux user.jpg (1200x900, 174K)

Not so sure myself. It's both a rather obvious target on both Debian's and Tail's side, AND it is so friggin' huge at 1.2GB, with a small user base of which probably almost no one ever looks at the code.

I'd personally fell much more confident about just installing tor and whatever else on a more looked at distro (or in a VM or container or nix environment or x86_64 userspace jail or anything else).

Could you even VM with the weaker CPUs mentioned ITT?

I just think the built in spoofing, amnesiac style, forced tor communication etc. Makes it more safe

You can't support GNU and the pen source movement simultaneously.

chinese robot girl is my favourite

>Could you even VM with the weaker CPUs mentioned ITT?
The ones I mainly mentioned got enough processing power, and you can handle both VMs and containers just fine. Yes, current ARM can do that efficiently.

If it's just containers specifically, you can even run these on RPi Zero and other such actual VERY low end machines that you wouldn't even want as media viewing browser using desktop. See YT for videos.

The better devices I mentioned really aren't that weak, see this guy playing Civ3 (which requires x86 emulation as well as a Windows compatibility layer to run side-by-side with everything that the graphical host OS wants to do):
youtube.com/watch?v=K8DfjoVApmg
There are also YT videos for this featuring Rpi.

> I just think the built in spoofing, amnesiac style, forced tor communication etc. Makes it more safe
You could force traffic to go from a forgetful "messaging application" container through a permanent or forgetful Tor container before it can use a port on your container host OS. Or do both in a single VM. Or many other methods.

I'm sure there are many ways to emulate tails but for me its a nice all in one since I dont know my way around computers like many here do.

I'm not totally incompetent but I know no programming and not a lot about Linux.

Girls with no ass are god tier, instantly get balls deep in every position

heh

>mint
truth

You think she uses all that for fun? She's just playing along.

Thoughts on this?

youtu.be/5OFnqLuYZy8

Skipped through it, looks like a fairly standard Debian-ish Linux distro being configured.
I'd do a few things differently for myself, for example I'd prefer Wireguard to OpenVPN, Transmission or Rtorrent to Deluge, and so on, but the way of configuring it all there is ultimately pretty normal, and you can always do your own thing this way.

Not using it as a media viewer desktop at the same time would make the RPi's CPU feel a lot less limited (it would probably be quite fine then), but personally I'd still mind the bottleneck between NIC and storage. You may or may not.

HP z600 maybe. Most of those come with dual xeons and shitton of ram.

LED silicon implants when?

Sorry, didn't see you only need torrent box.

Then maybe chink pc is for you, $100 shipped for quad core celeron barebone, dual wan, usb 3.0, really nice aluminum case, passive cooled, just rip drive and ram from old laptop.

What computer is that?
I love the look.

If I went with something like that I'd have the pi just as a torrent box only and I'd use it for nothing besides torrents and maybe storing some other files to access over the local network. I like the ability to access the pi through any PC on the network like he had it.

What about non static IP? Do you not need to do anything about that to have it perform? Won't the router automatically assign the pi different IPs?

>chink PC

I also have the components I mentioned in the op. At this point I'm unsure if using what I have or just getting a pi or something is more cost effective.

I suppose with better hardware I could have a nas like system that is also a torrent box?

Something rugged but it's pretty exotic, never seen model like that and I'm kinda into Getac/Panasonic and shit like that.

Alright, that's different from the initial idea then.

It's just not gonna let you run the storage at GBE speed, but I guess it'd otherwise be reasonably okay.

> I like the ability to access the pi through any PC on the network like he had it.
Samba, SSH, FTP and all these other things exist on practically any distro.

> What about non static IP?
Inside your LAN you probably just use the hostname that your router will generally remember in its dnsmasq or whatever.
Or you use something like avahi (zeroconf) or WINS if you must.

If you need access over the internet on a changing IP, one typical solution is to use a dynamic dns service (any of them).

DRS Tactical Systems Armor C12

Never seen one before, pretty cool.

Attached: D4v0FvA.jpg (1800x2400, 548K)

I wonder if you could replace the insides with something better. It's big enough for that to not be an unworkable idea i think.

Why not get a gaymur laptop and encase it in a strong briefcase

So I could do all of that from any system really? Even wangblows?

It's not the same.

Attached: xfr.jpg (1200x1482, 199K)

Asian incels are furious because she dates white men.

reddit.com/r/hapas/comments/anujzm/exposed_naomi_realsexycyborg_wu_only_dates_white/

What white man would fuck that silicon robot with no ass and a bloated face
JAV girls look 100x hotter

yes
except for the arm cpu part

I used to have an SBC seedbox which I replaced with a proper x86_64 shitbox because SBCs are shit. Spending hours hunting down all all the garbage you need need for your wonky setup that will ultimately consist of a bunch of shit laying around and will have zero upgradeability just to save a few bucks on power is simply not a good use of anyone's time. Just buy a cheap used Dell or whatever, pop in an HDD, and call it a day.
>GPU power consumption benchmarks
lmao.

SBC are not shit unless you pick shit models for what you need.

> wonky setup that will ultimately consist of a bunch of shit laying around
Its a small computer. It does not have extra parts over a large computer.

> Just buy a cheap used Dell or whatever
You'll save all of $10 that you then burn in 2 months with electrical power, with all the additional reading of buying used hardware and extra need for testing and extra chance of having to deal with a dispute.

>SBC are not shit unless you pick shit models for what you need.
It's pretty easy to pick shit models if you're someone like OP with little knowledge of SBCs. Many of them have fake gigabit ethernet ports or onboard SATA that's incapable of actually powering some 2.5" hard drives.

>Its a small computer. It does not have extra parts over a large computer.
A desktop computer is a self-contained unit while an SBC setup consists of an SBC (optionally in some kind of box) attached to an external hard drive (or drives) and one or more power supplies (depending on whether you need an additional power supply for the hard drive).

>You'll save all of $10 that you then burn in 2 months with electrical power
I wasn't trying to argue that used PCs are actually cheaper than an SBC setup, I was just saying that buying used is the way to go for home servers because you don't need the latest shit which costs way more.

>$10 over 2 months
Literally fucking nothing.

>with all the additional reading of buying used hardware and extra need for testing and extra chance of having to deal with a dispute.
You can always just buy from a reputable seller or a local seller who can show you the machine actually works. Also, it's not like new hardware is immune to being DOA.