Jow Forums's opinion on go?

Jow Forums's opinion on go?

Attached: golang.sh_-490x490.png (490x490, 110K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/dyu/ffi-overhead
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=17161168
golang.org/doc/faq#Origins
ethoberon.ethz.ch/
ethoberon.ethz.ch/WirthPubl/ProjectOberon.pdf
github.com/golang/go/wiki/SliceTricks
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

All you need to know
github.com/dyu/ffi-overhead
>calling legacy C libraries is 40 times as slow

C is deprecated though

yea but existing C libraries are going to stay a while. Hence calling system/kernel API is calling C. If you want to draw stuff, play a music or do anything you need to call system API.

Deprecated by what? Are you implying that something exists which is actually suitable for replacing C in all of its use cases.
But that's all besides the point.

Basically all FFI between real languages happens through a C interface, even if C code itself is not involved.

It's called Go because that's what it needs to do

why is that? doesn't go also compile to machine code. why is there so much overhead?

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=17161168

Rust is superior.

what anime is this from

Attached: 1549538199402.jpg (490x490, 126K)

kek

Rust is superior on every level except when it comes to productivity

for fa/g//go/ts

It seems useful to replace python or shell scripts with.

The best language of 1991.

Favorite language, everyone should use it.

rob pike made his own NIH donut steel calling convention for go making calls to c require a context switch for no reason

Go is a cool concept, how it's supposed to "just werk" on any system. But the language is shit and I would never want to write it.
I can only see it every really being useful for devops, for real distributed systems you should use elixir/erlang...But despite that it's winning the "war" between the two, the power of having a big name like Google does wonders I guess.

Trick question. Jow Forums cant actually program.

I like it, I don't know why it gets all the hate it does. As in I haven't seen anyone give a real reason why it's bad.

Stupid otter

Primitive language for braindead people.

by go

Nice concurrency model, shit type system and error handling.

Wait until Go2. If they haven't added generics by then, learn Object Pascal or Nim instead.

go kill yourself

If err != Nil
If err != Nil
If err != Nil
Or whatever the meme is

its based and really good for making server side applications that need to scale.

Oh, there are many.

Attached: aboriginal-syllabics.jpg (730x398, 57K)

no generics

It looks neat. Has a few nice features.

It's funny that Go2 clearly shows that the language design team was 100% wrong about most of the controversial opinionated decisions they made, e.g. generics support.

That was a fun day in the mailing lists.

the go 2 draft looks terrible and misses the point in several ways

how so?

why would go 2 generics introduce contracts to declare what operations a type parameter supports when that's exactly what interfaces are for

Attached: 1500208059123.jpg (841x1200, 95K)

go has a go statement
go2 needs a go2 statement

golang.org/doc/faq#Origins
Go is mostly in the C family (basic syntax), with significant input from the Pascal/Modula/Oberon family

Go is oberon with c like syntax.
oberon was created by niklaus wirth and used to make oberon system which is an operating system based off concepts of xerox cedar/mesa system.

ethoberon.ethz.ch/

ethoberon.ethz.ch/WirthPubl/ProjectOberon.pdf

Go's type system is completely useless and its concurrency model is inflexible and outdated.
If anyone is ever going to convince me to make Go my primary language, it's going to need
>more flexible concurrency model
>massively more powerful type system
>complete overhaul of its shitty syntax
>better FFI for C and C++
>better performance
or, you know, I can just use Nim, and have a language that's everything I wish Go was.

according to your link Lua is faster than c.

Go is a Google fart.

Wirth would never design a language as poorly as Pike et al did

I began using it and then when I got to arrays and slices (which are a mix of array views and also vectors) and noticed their complete lack of a standard library.
Instead, you are supposed to go to github.com/golang/go/wiki/SliceTricks whenever you want to do something with your slice and copy-paste something ridiculous like
a = append(a[:i], append([]T{x}, a[i:]...)...) Just for inserting a new element or
copy(a[i:], a[j:])
for k, n := len(a)-j+i, len(a); k < n; k++ {
a[k] = nil // or the zero value of T
}
a = a[:len(a)-j+i]
to cut an element out.

This is unusable. Languages with broken / nonexistant containers can fuck right off.

Ken thompson was in on Go too

>github.com/golang/go/wiki/SliceTricks
so this is the power of the unix philosophy

kek, oh yeah, and isn't the """""""package manager"""""" just copy/pasting a github URL?

Now THAT is retarded.

t b h the only thing I like about go is that cross compilation is painless, but I would never write in it