/spg/ - Smartphone General

Moto G7 Series Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: Moto-G7-Series-Hands-on-13-of-20-1-840x473.jpg (840x473, 89K)

Other urls found in this thread:

review.lineageos.org/c/LineageOS/hudson/ /214015/19/lineage-build-targets
engadget.com/2018/12/03/google-pixel-2-3-memory-management-fix/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Should I buy a $160 Moto X4 from BH Photo for a backup phone? Such a crazy good deal

Attached: 1547387375625.jpg (480x480, 32K)

Note 9 is the best mobile phone on the market.
Prove me wrong /gee/.

Protip: you cant.

Motos are so fucking ugly, jesus
Who buys this garbage?

It might even remain the king all the way until late this year.
Our American friends don't have a selection of fine Chinese phones so this is often the next best thing.

People who liked the nexus line.

Moto G7 Plus
>6.2-inch 2270×1080 LCD
>Snapdragon 636
>4 GB RAM, 64 GB storage
>Rear camera: 16 MP (f1.7, 1.22µm pixel) /w OIS + 5 MP depth sensor
>Front camera: 12 MP, 1.25um
>3000 mAh battery with 27W fast charging
>USB-C
>Android 9.0 Pie
Pricing starts at 300€ in Europe (will not launch in the US)

Moto G7
>6.2-inch 2270×1080 LCD
>Snapdragon 632
>4 GB RAM, 64 GB storage
>Rear camera: 12 MP (f1.8, 1.25µm pixel) + 5 MP depth sensor
>Front camera: 8 MP, 1.12um
>3000 mAh battery with 15W fast charging
>USB-C
>Android 9.0 Pie
Pricing starts at 250€ in Europe, $299 in the US

Moto G7 Power
>6.2-inch 1520×720 LCD
>Snapdragon 632
>3 GB RAM, 32 GB storage
>Rear camera: 12MP (f2.0, 1.25µm pixel)
>Front camera: 8MP (f2.2, 1.12µm pixel)
>5000 mAh battery with 15W fast charging
>USB-C
>Android 9.0 Pie
Pricing starts at 210€ in Europe, $249 in the US

Moto G7 Play
>5.7-inch 1512×720 LCD
>Snapdragon 632
>2 GB RAM, 32 GB storage
>Rear camera: 13MP (f2.0, 1.12µm pixel)
>Front camera: 8 MP, f/2.2, 1.12um
>3000 mAh battery with 10W fast charging
>USB-C
>Android 9.0 Pie
Pricing starts at 150€ in Europe, $199 in the US

Opinions?

Attached: Moto-G7-Series-Hands-on-22-of-X-1-840x443.jpg (840x443, 54K)

Not really, Nexus phones had good specs for the price and good Android update support, Moto G-series phones have neither.

Shit

>sd 636
>2019
why

Redmeme note 5 had this shit 12 months ago

moto g phones have shit software support. my g5 hardly ever got updates. i bought a cheap chinkphone with better specs for less than the g7.

You're getting a SD636 for Pocophone money

My dads g5s reteu still hasn't gotten oreo. 6 months after pie released. Moto's android is fairly close to stock anyway they have no excuse.

tru my ni/g/ger

>That giant chin
>Notch
Why?

Pixel 3 or s9?

review.lineageos.org/c/LineageOS/hudson/ /214015/19/lineage-build-targets

>tfw your phone made it in

based. mate 20 pro exist.

>moto
I'd literally kill myself before getting that shit.

Redpill me on the Xperia XA2
The smartphone jungle is too thicc for me, ive got no clue about Android or SOC performance
definitly pro for this model
>5 inch
>jack
>not notched
>dual sim is 300€

>dual sim is 300€
That's way too much, you can get Sony XZ1/XZ1 Compact for that amount, and many other phones that are also way better than the XA2.

The XA2 isn't particularly good deal anyway even if it was 100€, only 3GB RAM, meh cameras, SD630 is below average performance (most current mid-tier phones have SD636/660 or equivalent), Sony only gives one Android update to the XA-series so it won't be updated past Pie...

>XZ1
>240€
is there a downside beside age? like im about to just buy the thing

My redmeme note 4 is dying Jow Forums

Buy a new phone now or wait?
I'm looking for something in $200-250 range

Got to see the S10+ at work the other day.

It's really cool and super fast and all but holy shit does that fucking jellybean notch thing look even worse in real life than it does in pictures.

I thought I wanted it, but hard pass.

niggerphone v7

>finally making all their phones USB C, even the shitty budget one

It's about time. Every time I see a phone come out with micro USB in fucking 2018/9 it triggers my autism. More manufacturers need to follow suit.

>tfw my G5+ got oreo like 4 months ago after motorola first said they'd do it by spring 2018
>security update is on november or december
i just know this won't get anything else, looking to ditch this soon for a pixel 2 xl. that phone at least that gets updates, fuck

also

>curve so minimal it might as well not exist
>but still just enough to prevent normal screen protectors from working, so better be careful not to drop or scratch it
>comes with a shitty film screen protector like the OP6T
>in display subsonic fingerprint reader is still slow and unrealiable and shit compared to the capacitive ones
>s10+ smaller than the S9+ despite the bigger screen, at least feels like a manageable size in hand for a big phone
>hole could not be more retardedly positioned, maybe if it were more in the corner it would be okay, but it feels like it's right in the fucking middle of the display
>still more fucking stutter in menus than my SD845 OnePlus

I work in the wireless industry so I got a super top secret sneak peak, and I was just expecting more than 'the next samsung' but I guess I was a fool.

Wait.

Redmi Note 7 / 7 Pro. You'll probably want to wait for the Global version.

Now that the dust has settled, what's the general consensus on the pixel 3?

Attached: google-pixel-3-and-3-xl-black-4.jpg (1600x1200, 265K)

Overpriced
Ugly front
Ugly back
No other redeeming qualities other than >muh camera
Pure Android experience is just placebo for boomers, most of the OEM Android skin differences are just from the launcher

Any thoughts on the Fairphone ?

Does anyone have anything to say about the Pixel 1? They're just so cheap now and the specs still look good.

Literal garbage ancient specs, might as well buy the Xperia XZ1/C if you want a smol phone.

The S9+ shits on it and has a good camera
Pixel camera still shits on that, especially the front cam.

I would get that but I can't, I want to use Sprint's 1year free deal.

well then get it

Whoa mama check this out, god tier SoT

Attached: SoT.jpg (1080x2160, 105K)

>no network

Think I will, it's only $60 and the seller has no hassle returns. That's what I meant by cheap, I don't think you can beat the specs at that price.

what's the best option for burners? I got burned out(no pun intended) on my last contract, and I also don't really want people tracking me and I hate iphone

fuck, I'm in America, forgot to mention that
sprint will fuck you after that promo runs out, they'll "update" their contract you have and you'll have to end up paying more than twice that per month

>sprint will fuck you after that promo runs out, they'll "update" their contract you have and you'll have to end up paying more than twice that per month
You cancel beforehand. And if it's still running they let you take advantage of it again as long as you move your number off Sprint for 45 days first.

You can get prepaid Android phones for $20-60

>deals last about a year
>makes you sign 2 year contract
>"please pay the remainder of the contract to cancel"
they do that, too
no matter what they'll wring you of all the cash they can

>notch
dropped

>>deals last about a year
>>makes you sign 2 year contract
>>"please pay the remainder of the contract to cancel"
It's not a contract. But they do try to upsell though when you first get it.

this desu

American carriers are built from the ground up to fuck you. T-Mobile is a little bit less terrible about it but they still do their retarded bill credits thing to lock you into their plans.

Buy unlocked.
Move from prepaid to prepaid depending on what the best deal at the moment is.

way overpriced, 4gb of ram is not enough and it has visible trouble multitasking. Camera is good and first for software like the call assistant but not worth it

>4gb of ram is not enough
what???

any buyer's remorse or issues from pocomeme user here? think im gonna buy it

I turned it off to charge it, dumbo.

American carriers never fail to make me lol
absolute garbage.
If you can stand the super rounded display corners and the notch, get it. It's good.

And you completely get your phone off the grid when charging? Not even wifi? Please post the battery usage breakdown, I'm interested to see how much of that sot is actual usage.

About to pull the trigger on an unlocked refurbished Google Pixel XL 128GB from a 99.7% seller on ebay for £230 (that's $260 for burgers)
Is there any point considering anything else? I need to order something today. This is as much as my budget will allow. I'm upgrading from a barbarian Xperia Z3 Compact and I'm not paying to get this fucker fixed again.

my pixel 2 xl disagrees with you

go watch videos of it vs something like s9 or op6T. It has trouble keeping several apps in memory and will close apps and they have to fully reopen when you try to go back to them. Meanwhile my 6T which was hundreds of dollars less has 8Gb and the same snapdragon 845. It just seems like bad value

just bought a 6T as my upgrade from the note 4 :^)

>trouble multitasking
engadget.com/2018/12/03/google-pixel-2-3-memory-management-fix/

I wish it was rated for water resistance and i miss wireless charging but its pretty good. I have a problem with Signal and Verizon where i cant get mms in that app so i have to unfortunately just use the stock app for sms and mms

>There's no guarantee this will solve every complaint (the Pixel 3 does have just 4GB of RAM, after all), but it should help
Im not saying that 4GB shouldnt be enough for a phone, but with the way devs make sites and apps it just doesnt seem to be. It would also be a different story if it wasnt priced like the iphone an s9. Unless you just have the hardest dick ever for stock android and want the barely better camera it does not seem worth it to me.

Do you think it's worth it paying £230 for a used phone from 2016 that's EOL in terms of updates? I don't think so.

Good for you, you fucking retard.

It's way past midnight here, why should I keep the data/wifi on to charge it? No one's gonna message me at this hour.

Attached: usage.jpg (1078x2049, 152K)

It's nice to be able to do that, I just lower the sync rate, but there's always someone who wants to text me deep into the night.

I am sort of excited about s10, but at the same time I cannot think of anything thay would actually wow me. I'm using S8+ and it can't be that much better to warrant an upgrade, right?

>there's always someone who wants to text me deep into the night.
Chad is that you?
keep it for another year or two. Don't fall for the phone jew

>Chad is that you?
No, just someone with a shitload of dysfunctional friends. Or those that love to discuss politics at 3 AM.

Have an S8, it's kinda beat up from being dropped a gorillian times the past 2 years. Is the Pixel 3 worth it, and would the oneplus 6t be essentially a downgrade to what I already have? Not too concerned about cost. Not a fan of apple, I have an iPhone 8 I use for work and it's just not for me

Why not wait for s10?

That was my other option but honestly I'm a little tired of Samsung. I was interested in the Pixel because of nostalgia for the nexus which was my first smartphone back when I was a min wage cuck

I've got a Xiaomi MI 5 which is already 2.5 years old. My phone provider is sending me for free a Sony Xperia XA2, which spec wise is very similar.

>Pros:
Slightly bigger screen, same RAM (3gb), Lineage OS support, slightly bigger battery, more MPx camera, FM radio support, SD card support, 1.5 year newer.

>Cons:
No infrarred, no front physical buttons and fingerprint sensor is in the back, slighly bigger and bulkier.

>The big con
The only thing that makes me doubt the change is the processor.

The SD 820 vs the SD 630. All the benchmarks say the newer one in the Sony is worse, albeit being newer and having twice the cores and the same clockspeed.

Xiaomi Mi 5 2444 33110
Sony Xperia XA2 1690 14312

Attached: file.png (974x975, 344K)

why do you need a back up phone? $160 is alot for something you won't use

I've had mine about a month, running unofficial LineageOS 16 without gapps and I love it. Battery life is meh, lasts me about a day and a half after a full charge but that's legitimately my only complaint.

These phones (X4, G6, Z3) are on sale at a few places 100% of the time from what I have seen. They are just going to include them in happy meals at this rate.

God I wish I were that Ziploc bag

Shit i forgot to add the question, would you keep my Xiaomi or would you use the newer Sony?

Best phone for Sprint? Would prefer to avoid Samsung but I'm not sure how I can do that.

No iPhone.

If it's free, why not? Xiaomi's cameras absolute were shit back then. The 630 probably has better battery life.

>If it's free, why not? Xiaomi's cameras absolute were shit back then. The 630 probably has better battery life.

getting it i'm gonna get it, but it's either giving the Sony to my father or giving him the Xiaomi.

Pixel 3

6T is a better Pixel 3 XL. Certainly not a downgrade and probably one of the best phones you can own right now.

I've used both and use the 6T as my daily driver.

I'd personally go for the Sony, simply because I like them better.

telstra or verizon
same or better specs than an iphone se
removable battery
android
microsd slot
same or as close to the same size as an iphone se/5s
screen size the same or as similar to size as an iphone 5s, with the same or more resolution as the iphone 5s
budget: 100-600$

Attached: kat.png (160x203, 22K)

oh and rootable i guess

>same or as close to the same size as an iphone se/5s
user...that does not exist in current year, sadly.

I'm also looking for an upgrade for my SE, redmeme note 7 looks pretty good since I already accepted that small phones with good battery life are pretty much gone, unless apple release an iphone se 2 but since apple is retarded that won't happen, or it will happen with no touch id or heaphone jack

doesn't exist

hence the "or similar". whats the closest to all these conditions?

which screen size do you find to be too big?

I'll stick to my Moto G6+

When did Motorola get so fucking ugly anyway?

Upgrading from a iPhone 5s

Looking for something

>android based
>unlocked, cdma (or works on Tello), usa
>sd card slot that supports a lot of storage
>no bloatware or very minimal
>great camera
>ideally no notches or weird chins (though if it meets all other criteria, I'll deal with it)
>reliable/durable
>5 inches or above

Budget is up to $700 but ideally $300-400. I want the best bang for the buck because I only buy a new phone every 5 years.

Attached: 1534891098452.jpg (400x400, 22K)

one plus 6T

Although i dont think the camera qualifies as 'great' its definitely pretty decent. Its no iphone x, s9, or pixel 3 though

>gotta chose between big ass battery and better specs
fuck you too lenovo
The power would most likely be better for me anyway I don't play games and plastic is unironically better than glass nonsense

technically anything bigger than the iphone se, but it appears i dont really have any choice. the bigger it goes, the more "optionals" its gotta have, like:
decent battery case combination
headphone jack
fast charging
dual microsd slots
rootable

id be willing to drop the removable battery option if it either had a sweet battery life or there was a battery case cover that wasnt shit.

It's a good place for me to start my research though, thanks. I have no idea what's good anymore, I remember Motorola being good when I last shopped for a phone and now everyone here says its trash so I'm out of the loop on what's a good brand anymore.

no one makes removable batteries anymore, not many (if any at all) make dual microsd card slots, just a heads up.
While pretty much every phone comes with fast charging

finding like a s8+ or note 8 isnt a bad idea either as their still good phones, or the s9+ after the s10 comes out at end of the month

you should take a loot at xiaomi and samsung, which are pretty much the only ones that still have the headphone jack around. fast chargin is pretty much a given with most phones, and battery cases are pretty much non existant outside of iphones