>most frequented pages in firefox are askubuntu and superuser
>accessed how to install .tar.gz 12 times
>trouble installing some uncommon software
>ask for help on Jow Forums
>get sent to a sketchy github with 2 stars that promises a fix
>install is broke on 18.04
>try to backup my computer
>oob options are google, nextcloud or network server
>o-ok i guess i'll back it up on my preferred cloud storage server that comes with a nice client
>client fails to install no readme/install instructions
>fail installing and ask for help from friends
>install Manjaro, it's much better
>end up emailing support asking why there's no readme/install instructions and if they could help support linux better, 99% sure im not getting a response back

Why do people unironically put themselves in this position? Isn't Ubuntu supposed to be the closest to 'just werks'?

Attached: 1495117490751.png (808x805, 72K)

Linux is just a kernel.

use debian, it's less shit

No it just werks, simple as that, you’re just retarded and don’t know how to use Linux because you’ve never used anything other than wangblows. Ubuntu is so easy to use its nearly braindead.

Also Linux is a kernel, not a complete and functioning operating system.

>Isn't Ubuntu supposed to be the closest to 'just werks'?
I think Ubuntu is shit, but it has relatively a lot more support than the other distros. It is as good as it gets though if you're new to Linux since you're most likely to find a spoon-fed solutions online for most problems that you encounter.

Come home white man

Attached: Capture.png (381x227, 12K)

>Isn't Ubuntu supposed to be the closest to 'just werks'?
yes, sudo dpkg if you have to download the software as a file

but then i can't post my ultra riced out desktop in those desktop threads

Attached: umaru-chan-crying.jpg (1021x574, 40K)

Install Fedora. It just werks for real. Ubuntu is nigger tier.

Attached: Fedora-logo.svg.png (2000x2000, 112K)

Install Gentoo

First your supposed to extract tar. Gz and don't blindly take advice from Jow Forums because most people will shit on you for not being able to use a search engine

Attached: bloblems.jpg (614x461, 52K)

>Isn't Ubuntu supposed to be the closest to 'just werks'
No, it's a piece of shit.

Just make a Linux VM to rice fren and edit neofetch configs to print a higher uptime

Look I'm not that retarded. I'm aware of the process. It's just that the specific thing I was trying to install was fucked.

I use Arch btw

That's good for you, son.

>accessed how to install .tar.gz
yeah, you're doing it wrong. you're supposed to use the software installing tools ("package managers") from your distro. ubuntu offers a literally point and click software store. it offers every kind of software a beginner would need, even proprietary software like steam or spotify. also a file ending in ".tar.gz" doesn't mean it's going to be software, just like a .zip file it could have anything. also Jow Forums is not for tech support and tech support questions should go to

Attached: bush_doing_it_wrong_1.jpg (240x232, 11K)

Come home, white man.

Attached: serveimage.png (1024x768, 78K)

I'm really thinking about switching, but Gentoo is so comfy...

Gentoo is great, and I have an install on my fallback drive, but Slackware manages to top it in comfy. Give it a try my dude.

Attached: 1548996987189.jpg (395x398, 15K)

You don’t know comfy until you’ve experienced slackware user. Try it out

is this real or just memetics?
looking to move off ubuntu

Only autists use Linux at home.

It just werks. No other distro manages to do this. It's as stable as NetBSD or OpenBSD out of the box.

Why would a person who has no idea of how computers and operating systems work use something that requires you to know it? Just stick with Windows, you idiot.

Will do.

Think that I actually considered this once as a cringelord and wanted to fit in with the 4chang hackers. Then I bought a thinkpad and realized how stupid I was.

There's no fix for being stupid.

Unironically this.
I had an old Toshiba laptop back in the day with a Pentium 133 and 16MB of RAM running Slackware 7.1 as a server, and I got crazy uptimes with it(many months straight, even stayed on for a year long without any trouble). Slackware is sincerely one of if not the most stable Linux distributions out there and I wholeheartedly recommend it.

>he fell for the loonix meme

Attached: 1536728041826.jpg (898x1024, 158K)

these are lies

I installed fedora a few days ago and dnf was so slow and just shit. + fedora uses rpm files and software that nobody else uses, help is non-existent.

I'm currently on debian and all I've done for 2 days is fix issues that it had left and right. Battery applet disappearing, brightness keys stopped working, absolutely awful sound control system, problems with fonts, no bluetooth out of the box, second monitor not working properly, etc, etc. And the install was a pain in the ass because MUH FREE SOFTWARE XD so I had to use a second usb to mount and transfer a proprietary wifi drivers that debian gives as a fucking package on their website but not in the installer.

if you're looking to actually produce things i.e. programming, music, image editing, etc, don't use linux. Maybe ubuntu is a bit better but then you get closer to a proprietary so what's the point? Just go windows/macos and boot-up a vm if you need linux. That's what I'm about to do, debian in the fucking trash.

He's talking about a distro, homie.

>he fell for the loonix meme

Attached: 1533305059178.png (1025x5000, 2.79M)

typical retards that read the first 3 lines
>WELL ACHTHUALLY LINUX IS JUST A KERNEL

>transfer a proprietary wifi drivers that debian gives as a fucking package on their website but not in the installer.
PEBKAC. Debian offers a installation method that includes proprietary drivers. Read the fucking manual next time you proprietary glowing double nigger.

>rpm files
>that nobody else uses
There's tons of stuff in the repos, should easily be good enough for most people. Otherwise there's Copr repos (PPA but it's not shit) as well as RPMFusion (AUR but people are actually concerned about security and proper packaging). If you seriously run into a dev that only provides packages in deb form, then aside from feeling ashamed that you use binary packages outside of a repository, you should use alien to convert it to rpm. Fedora is basically industry standard. What other software is there that "nobody else uses"?
>dnf is slow
What meme is this? Updating the repos takes a few seconds, yes. For actually downloading installing the packages it's extremely fast, though. Doesn't really warrant a complaint I'd say.

To the linux user(1), the phrase "just works" is a play on words. When they say or write it they don't mean it just works without issue(2) but rather that it just barely works.

(1) Linux user or atheist garbage as I like to call them.
(2) Issue/Problem this is also another play on words because the routinely use weasel words attached to it or lie about not/never having any issues. Primarily because they are used to broken less than optimal software, they are in a stockholm syndrome like state about it.

>linux users reading this

Attached: 0.jpg (720x814, 62K)

>69715440
trying too hard

Attached: 1492305454266.jpg (1024x921, 528K)

Slackware is the bomb. I just use kde and its the most intuitive ive used. Before long ill be ricing in my own custom window environment.

1.drivers espicially display driver ,
2.games
3.even when drivers are there , display performance is better under windows (for ex VLC)
4.those asshoel dependency , install 10 items before instaling one single thin g
5. small things like rar ntfs reading is shit on linux
6.stick to server

i literally installed kubuntu a few months ago (first time using a linux distro as main driver) and i had no issues, and certainly none of this shit
maybe it's that you don't have a fucking clue how to use a computer, user

I'm just start using Linux too and it seems great but I didn't found text editor so I tried that console one called vi and i have no idea how to exit that, sometimes worked with q but not always and ctrl c doing nothing

>if you're looking to actually produce things i.e. programming,
>don't use linux

Attached: retard.jpg (400x400, 31K)

Mac needs a step 2.5 where he mails it to Apple and they send back a dildo to keep him busy until a technician gets around to installing it for him

linux isn't supposed to "just werk" for normal users. it's easy but it's easy in a different kind of way, it makes doing things which are hard to do on windows easy and things that are easy to do on windows slightly harder but not terrible. i've said this so many fuckin times and nobody seems to get it but linux is only a good desktop operating system if linux-specific things appeal to you. doesn't make it bad, oses are like a glove you pick whichever one fits best but i ain't gonna say the small one is bad because i have thicc hands

this is not home

Is Linux Mint any good?

I installed Mint 19 Xfce and it has been mostly a pleasure.

Works good outside the box(at least the Xfce version does, didn't try any other), plenty of programs in the apt repository. Installation is janky when running off liveDVD, though that's just an unfixable problem of optical media. liveUSB is good.

apt is really nice to use when you know what you want to install, whereas Synaptic and aptitude will help when you want to browse for something.

I guess the following won't be important to you: managing programs that you want to compile (in my case: "dmenu" and "i3gaps") is a drag.

I've been using Ubuntu for like three or four years and I had no particular problems with it, the most I had to do was some config tweaks because of an old Epson driver going sideways.
And overall it was a way less tedious experience than some other distros which I tried.

>debian
download and install wifi drivers with one command
>ubuntu
download and install wifi drivers with one command
>mint
you don't even have to download driver just enable it in driver manager
Are those wifi memes made by people who had never used linux?

Attached: 1537724115400.jpg (380x380, 50K)

>I've been using Ubuntu for like three or four years
How does it feel to realize that you will never ascend beyond plebfilter distros for retards?

don’t use GNU/Linux, stay far away from it dumbass. I don’t want idiots using the same OS as me.

Feels just fine, since I tried Arch/derivatives, Debian/derivatives, Fedora/derivatives, openSUSE and Gentoo already and I guess that I'd rather use my PC that constantly fuck with it.
Although, Debian stable wasn't too bad, but it was a bit too stable for what I needed it for.

if you'd rather just use your pc without constantly fucking with it why not just go full on windows 10?

>try out "Linux"
>Install Android
Maybe he means GNU/Linux, or as I've take n to calling it, POSIX Linux

Yeah, nah, I'd rather not, if anything I'd have more problems with it.

Incorrect. If you'd allow me to interject, I'd like to recommend the most correct term, GNU + Linux, for not all Linux distributions are necessarily POSIX compliant.

How to do that without wired connection?

>all Linux distributions are GNU + Linux
What did she mean by this?

They're POSIX-like. Just because they aren't compatible with 100% of POSIX doesn't mean they aren't POSIX.
XDG on GNU/Linux is just as POSIX as XDG on BSD.

I don't understand what the fuck is going on
I'm learning Linux and my textbook says this is how to edit my FtP FiLe config and it doesn't work

Attached: file.png (852x768, 70K)

You still have to install drivers manually and restart a million times after you update windows. GNU/Linux can have most drivers work out of the box and you only need to depmod && modprobe the ones that are not pulled in by the kernel normally.

ahahaha

Why are you installing shit by hand? Never hear of repositoires? Apt install stuff?

>accessed how to install .tar.gz 12 times
This is why you cant get it to work
You're too retarded to learn by heart how to do a common task
I bet you switch from windows because you too retarded to get that to work
>I want an OS that doesn't require me to put anything on my part
Stick to phones, you idiot

Funny enough is that phones are still Linux.

tethering or installation medium

They work on linux
I wouldn't classify android as a true linux distro

Attached: 1525992813670.png (509x538, 368K)

Never had a problem with wifi drivers when it comes to ubuntu, debian, or even arch
But like another person said, you would do this by tethering
Fuck it, a friend just uses his unlimited data for his desktop since he lives in thw middle of nowhere with no internet access yet has great cellphone coverage

that image is pretty old, back in like 2009 it actually was a bit of a pain in the ass to get wifi working

>t. never used linus
nice try.

Just use Pop!_OS, its the most config-free, newbie-friendly distro, then any Ubuntu LTS Flavour, then whatever you want. Don't evade the terminal though, it makes you computer-literate.

>india
>the white mans home
wew

Worked out of the box for me on Ubuntu back then

>how to install .tar.gz

Dumb wintard.

What's the command, asshole
I've been trying to get this little prick to recognize my wifi dongle for weeks

no sht
based and redpilled

Do people like wasting their time to make posts like this? I bet OP thought it was so funny. Nu-Jow Forums is garbage.

>win10.areuserious.jpeg

IT'S LITERALLY SO FULL OF BUGS I THINK THEY JUST BOXED UP FLIES INSIDE MY LAPTOP FROM THE CURRY THEY SHAT ON THE STREET BETWEEN DEVELOPMENT SESSIONS.

Attached: Pooinloo.jpg (634x401, 38K)

>needing to compile software on ubuntu
you are either a retard or a power user
>not using rsync for backup
>using "the cloud" for anything else than file sharing
>having trouble installing software
>harassing developers via e-email in order to get your shitty os supported
a retard it is.

>not knowing how to install a .tar file
kek. You have something that resembles a point, though. If something breaks you generally have to look at 500 year old stackexchange posts to try to fix it. Also FUCK GNOME. Ubuntu Mate is the best ubuntu.

vi is a cancer, learn ed first[1], which is easy. After that, vi is just "oh I know this from ed" plus some extra stuff.

[1] it's a shame about the old-style regexps, though; grep as opposed to egrep.