Attached: HAHAHAHA.png (820x432, 406K)

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/1779388024823052056/
store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/#1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Technological progress is good.

why is this news and why do you care

I'll let grandpa know he can't play video games anymore

Games you paid money for will no longer work on the platform you were told was supported. If you pop in a starcraft cd into a win98 pc it will work like it did when new. If you bought a steam game on windows xp you cant say the same.

Anyone got a list of games on Steam that won't work in Windows newer than XP?

Don't be a boomer.

Isn't it that just STEAM won't update to latest version and games will be working as before?

that shit works both ways. i have cd of hard truck king of the roads and it doesnt work on 7 and higher. i cant play it but i have it, just like you have all your games but cant play them

Attached: 1952065.jpg (255x198, 11K)

that seems to be what makes sense. i doubt that games made FOR the platform are MAGICALLY not going to work because steam doesn't get its latest version of big picture mode.

probably works in wine

>planned obsolescence that increases corporate profits is good
FIFY

For those confused as to what the issue is, if you have a game that requires both Windows XP and Steam authentication, then you simply can't play it anymore on any computer, because Steam won't let you log in on XP and the game won't run on newer Windows.
It's a different situation than an old CD-ROM game not working on newer Windows, because you can still run that on an old computer.

>windows versions from 2001 and 2006 are being dropped in 2019
yea planned obsolescence 18 and 13 years in the future wew lad.

how does this increase valves profits?

>"""""probably"""""

by selling remastered versions in a few months/years

That statement concerns more then Valve's profits same as the original statement that was being replied to. This particular statement refers to the collusion of all corporations in the tech industry working together to force consumers to purchase new technology every few years even though there is no reason to do so outside of corporations actively choosing to no longer support a product.

You are seriously retarded on these matters. Keep your dumb fuck opinions to yourself next time.

Valve aren't colluding with Microsoft
Quite the opposite
They're trying to push Steam on Linux because they dislike Microsoft

if thats the case with valve then they would drop xp 10 years ago

They dropped support because they updated their Chromium build to a version that no longer supports XP or Vista.

When do you think 7 will be dropped? That's when the real trouble might start.

Chrome stopped supporting XP and Vista in 2016, so probably a few years after Jewgle drops Win 7 support.

Cuck and corporate-inseminated.

>Chrome dropped support before Vista's EOL
>So Chrome will support Windows 7 long after it hits EOL
I wouldn't worry about it.

>what are differences between products and services

that's absolutely fucked
at that point just drop the browser functionality and open a browser window whenever you need to do something for steam
sure beats not having access to steam at all

Does this affect WINE functionality? By default WINE would always pretend to be XP.

Eh, the platform itself was abandoned years ago.

Why do you expect 3rd parties to keep using it?

No, you drop xp and vista like everyone else rather than supporting a second variant of your product for a dead OS that is not in the least something you can even modify.

XP has a bigger user share than Vista and 8 COMBINED

Attached: 1549634695162.png (902x620, 143K)

how do we kill chromium menance?

go back, faggot this is GNU/Linux forum

why would it need to pretend its an xp? you just install linux version of steam

No. And even if, the OS is dead and unsupported for years now.

Much of the rest of the ecosystem has abandoned it, now you do because you can't easily work without the ecosystem.

Absolutely the normal way things go for proprietary closed down software with no legal way to modify.
Linux will lessen this problem somewhat in the future, even if it got abandoned (which it won't soon, it's the most important OS ever to date) someone could make the relevant parts continue to work and cut everything irrelevant out, making it reasonably maintainable for this purpose, and Valve could then use that.

You didn't pay to run that game on Windows 7 because it didn't exist, so that isn't the same at all.

I paid to play a game on windows xp and now I can't because kikes need drm.

Because I paid them money for games and the games used to work, and now they wont work because DRM. What a shitshow.

you can, just dont update

Before Proton, some games would only work or have less bugs when WINE was spoofing a certain version of Windows. I remember having to set the version to XP when I played Skyrim under WINE, years ago.

No, you paid money for a license that give you permission to play the game. That license is still valid and Valve has held up their end of the bargain.

Any DX 11 game, which is pretty much any game released past 2013.

Because it means they're cutting of OS's, which just adds to the windows 10 monopoly.
Honestly, they should just specify if the game is unlikely to work on XP, that way XPfags can try to code a work around.

Chances are they, if they're still using XP, that they're good enough to code workarounds for games.
That said, poor form from valve.

Friendly reminder that both XP and Vista are no longer supported by Microsoft.

Daily reminder that pretty much all Windows XP games work great with WINE.

Install Xubuntu.

Less money spent on supporting an obsolete OS?

The store page said the game supported windows xp, I paid for a game that supported windows xp and now I have a game that doesn't support windows xp.

Yeah valve could be finding itself in massive consumer law issues here.

The game still supports Windows XP. That hasn't changed. Steam doesn't support Windows XP though, and you agreed to the terms of service which allows them to change their system requirements at any time.

No, because you agree to it when signing up.

sounds like some kikery to me.

I was screwing around with wine using playonlinux trying to get steam going. It took me half a day but I managed to get E.Y.E divine cybermancy to run. I am amazed at how well it runs through wine on a t440p ThinkPad with integrated graphics. Seems like magic.

Why does it matter when literally 2% of Windows users use XP, and even smaller amount of which actually plays games. No one is sincerely going to care about this when 90% of games being played on XP are available on GOG and numerous trackers.

this is why warez will always be king. I bought manhunt in a $1 humble bundle, I wanted to install it on a windows xp vm but the piece of shit steam would not install so I had to download a pirated version instead and it worked perfectly. fuck drm, fuck digital distribution and fuck dlc.

This, pretty much.

And it isn't like they're really abusing this contract overall, they kept Windows XP support going for like 9 years after it was EOL'd by Microsoft.

It's absolutely the norm for software to no longer support discontinued proprietary platforms after a while, you shouldn't intuitively expect anything else.

>No, because you agree to it when signing up.
In what contract, the valve contract or the windows contract?
If it's covered by the windows contract, then perhaps, but I think this might contravene the steam contract as signed at the time. PLUS there are "alternatives" in consumer law to stop this deceiving behaviour even if you sign the contract.

this.

sounds more like ignorance from valve to me.
I hope their lawyers are very good.

op is a faggot
on work i installed steam and it has been telling me support will be gone for at 105 days, not that i installed anything

*Linux

It will probably still work but you won't be able to request support if you have a problem.

I was just about to install Vista for Steam, fuck

Valve will drop support for 7 in 2 years

No one but old people who haven't bought a new computer in the last 10 years still use XP or Vista.

It used to, newer versions of wine default to windows 7

>OH NO NO NO
IS ANYBODY ON THIS FUCKING WEBSITE ABLE TO START A FUCKING THREAD AND NOT COPY REDDIT SHIT LIKE A FUCKING PARROT?

Keep in mind you can specify which version to fake on a per-program basis

How do you know thats a reddit thing?

>Steam won't let you log in on XP
Is this confirmed?

They drop xp&vista because google dropped them in blink/chromium which steam uses. Unless they make some legacy client or client will continue to work without chat and community services browsing, it won't even launch.

steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/1779388024823052056/

Interesting. Do all games work on newer Windows or do some require XP (or 32bit OS)?

OH NO I CANT PLAY AOE2 ON MY TOASTER ANYMORE

Kys my man

No one seems to have a list of Steam games that will only run on Windows older than 7. I don't know if there are any.

store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/#1
2. LICENSES

A. General Content and Services License

Steam and your Subscription(s) require the automatic download and installation of Content and Services onto your computer. Valve hereby grants, and you accept, a non-exclusive license and right, to use the Content and Services for your personal, non-commercial use (except where commercial use is expressly allowed herein or in the applicable Subscription Terms). This license ends upon termination of (a) this Agreement or (b) a Subscription that includes the license. The Content and Services are licensed, not sold. Your license confers no title or ownership in the Content and Services. To make use of the Content and Services, you must have a Steam Account and you may be required to be running the Steam client and maintaining a connection to the Internet.

>For reasons that include, without limitation, system security, stability, and multiplayer interoperability, Steam may need to automatically update, pre-load, create new versions of or otherwise enhance the Content and Services and accordingly, the system requirements to use the Content and Services may change over time. You consent to such automatic updating.

You understand that this Agreement (including applicable Subscription Terms) does not entitle you to future updates, new versions or other enhancements of the Content and Services associated with a particular Subscription, although Valve may choose to provide such updates, etc. in its sole discretion.

>oh no! I can't play a game I purchased on the supported platform of my choice!
ftfy

>Oh no I signed a contract with kikeries but now I don't keep my word of those kikeries

You trusted a digital distribution platform. That's your fault.

Proton is always an option.

The only machines still running XP are ATMs and there are none running Vista. WHO CARES

The reason they're dropping XP and Vista support is because the userbase is now too small to be meaningful profit-wise compared to the cost (in developer time) of maintaining support for these OS'.

They're going to block connections from the old clients eventually.
I kind of doubt that there are many old XP era games that won't work with Wine/Proton though, so it doesn't really matter that much.

>FIFY
fuck off reddit

lmao xp retards btfo
Only poors and third world shitters would care about not being able to use XP.

you don't read the shit you sign?

No, abandoning support for shitty and outdated software is good.

yeah im not seeing a issue if it affects nothing except boomers clinging pathetically to xp

so does this mean you cant access your games at all on these platforms or is it just a vacnet support drop?

yes suckle on that DRM chode you steam faggots

supporting a dead platform isn't lucrative or good business for anyone

these people need to suck it the fuck up

>laughs in freetard

And you realize this now? It is well known that Valve doesn't guarantee any sort of compatibility for older games. The same happens with older games meant for Windows 9x that are completely unsupported and you have to fix yourself to run them properly. It is already too much that they provide a barely configured DOSBox environment for some titles.
Maybe next time you'll think twice before purchasing a game on a DRM online platform, everybody knew this was going to happen and if you didn't you are an idiot.

i never had any problems playing w/ a dx 11 card but once i upgraded to a 1050 fallout NV doesn't work for me launched through steam
guess i don't need to play it anyway

You should be worried about no steam support in windows 98.

Install Xubuntu or Ubuntu Mate.

100% complete replacement for XP, faster, and more secure.

Imagine running xp or vista in 2019 lmfao

xp was released in 2001
get over it

You don't buy a game in Steam, you buy a license to play the game

All they need to do is give users still clinging to XP and Vista's rotting corpses a perpetual steam offline mode so they can play their games without using steam's online functions or fancy shit.

Woah there Charlie. If you think his opinions are dumb, and he thinks your opinions are dumb, doesn't that just mean you guys disagree? You haven't even made a real argument. Have you been sniffing glue again? I thought we told Frank to take that shit away from you.

Attached: 09-glenn-howerton-sunny.w330.h330.2x.jpg (660x660, 31K)