Be me

>Be me
>bought book about learning c++
was it worth it? What cool things to do with c++ as a beginner?

Attached: c++.png (142x160, 3K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.codinghorror.com/why-cant-programmers-program/
youtube.com/watch?v=9U0XVdvQwAI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

C++ is a really powerful language, but it's not a "cool things" language.

Writing a program that kills yourself.

You'll never learn anything just from a book.
You need a goal and you need to stick to it.
Otherwise you'll end up like one of those moron lanklets who apply to programming jobs despite unironically not being able to fizzbuzz
blog.codinghorror.com/why-cant-programmers-program/

>What cool things to do with c++ as a beginner?
refund the book and learn python, and I'm serious.

gamedev and demoscene type stuff can be pretty cool

make a simple game, you can use a framework like sfml to get started if you don't wanna handle the lower level stuff

implement few funny algoruthms (e.g. DEFLATE compression, MIDI player, image format parsers, text processing such as diff)
write your own interpreter/compiler and DSL language (e.g. configuration file parser)
write network communication software, simple crypto protocol and simple message protocol
try out 3d graphics programming
simple games with SDL

No its awful as a beginner.

You have to learn about two things, algorithms and computers. With C++ you are trying to learn both at the same time because if you dont really know how things like memory work you will not understand anything.

Learn about algorithms first with python that abstracts all the little details, and then learn c++ and how things really happen.

pro tip: use sdl only if you're learning graphics programming, otherwise use sfml

Maybe write a game? That's as cool as it gets. C++ is used everywhere in game programming. Pick an engine and get going.

the only better aspect sfml offers if C++-ish interface, otherwise it's a pretty much redundant project

ehh i think that depends, sfml isn't that optimized once you get past making a simple platformer. that being said you can use both of them without an issue if it's just for making an opengl context or something and not using their built-in renderers

if you want enlightenment there's also the path of rolling your own engine, now before i get the "hurr but it takes longer/wastes time/etc." idgaf it's still significantly more fun and in some cases depending on the project makes more sense, plus if op wants a more advanced project for down the line it wouldn't be a bad thing to consider. but yeah dunno if i'd suggest it for starting out but they're still fun projects to work on after you know what you're doing

>bought book
That was your first mistake. All technical literature can be found on Libgen or, in the rare cases it's not there, on Rutracker.

If haven't already, I suggest learning C first. I think you won't understand 3/4th of C++ features, why they were made and why C++ ended up the way it did unless you moderately know C, its compilation model and common idioms.

Which book is it? It should be one of the following:
Programming, Principles and Practice using C++ - Stroustrup
The C++ Language - Stroustrup
C++ Primer - Lippman

isocpp has a bunch of blogs that have actual practical advice and shit
i ripped them all and saved them as pdfs
plus it's really easy to pirate programming books, for most you just need to google the title

whereas when you buy C++ books you're spending money to put yourself at risk of running into being educated wrong by C programmers, who think C++ is like C with classes, Java programmers, who abuse inheritance and virtual functions, or just plain outdated info (anything before C++11 is crap).

>whereas when you buy C++ books you're spending money to put yourself at risk of running into being educated wrong by C programmers, who think C++ is like C with classes, Java programmers, who abuse inheritance and virtual functions, or just plain outdated info (anything before C++11 is crap).

You must be referring to the book authored by Stephen Prata (C++ Primer Plus). That book is total garbage.

>You must be referring to the book authored by Stephen Prata (C++ Primer Plus). That book is total garbage.
nope, but i'm not surprised there's more than one crap book out there
I started with C++ for everyone, oddly enough published in 2012
It left me so fucking confused about what I saw when I tried to move beyond it (namely, smart pointers, but also templates, and anything to do with the stl beyond strings and vectors) that I gave up for months and went back to c#

Then, one day I asked Jow Forums for an explanation, and felt like a total fucking retard when someone posted a really basic smart pointer implementation.
then i vowed to actually learn c++ and i did

what would be really nice is a good book on concurrent programming with modern C++

Not OP, but I'm reading "Beginning C++17" by Ivor Horton and Peter Van Weert, and I think it's pretty good so far (420 pages in). Isn't C++ primer a bit outdated by now?

>what would be really nice is a good book on concurrent programming with modern C++
C++ Concurrency in action is generally praised and its second edition, updated for C++17, is about to be released by the end of this month. I haven't read it myself though, so take that recommendation with a grain of salt.

this was made using sfml

youtube.com/watch?v=9U0XVdvQwAI

>I haven't read it myself though
i was hoping there were more options
i've already read some of it, i found a copy on github, i think

While it's really quite good conceptually, the author has an unfortunate tendency to waffle on about stuff that's kind of obvious.

>feb 2007
i wonder how its changed over 12 years

this