/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: pockys.jpg (1000x990, 276K)

Other urls found in this thread:

flashdba.com/2013/04/15/understanding-io-random-vs-sequential/
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software#Backup_and_sync
youtube.com/watch?v=n9rhtSwAVfI
startpage.com/do/search?query=%s&cat=web&cmd=process_search&language=english&engine0=v1all&pg=0&abp=-1&prfe=...
vim-latex.sourceforge.net/index.php?subject=download&title=Download),
github.com/junegunn/vim-plug
krebsonsecurity.com/2019/01/dirt-cheap-legit-windows-software-pick-two/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

are system image backups done with sequential reads
>t. guy from last thread

One of them better be a female.Faggots belong on a stake.

I'm fairly certain it's sequential
Both are male!

thanks!!!
but windirstat runs very slowly @ 500kbps and its just scanning the drive, are random reads meant to be this slow?

>are random reads meant to be this slow?
yes
flashdba.com/2013/04/15/understanding-io-random-vs-sequential/
>Well, if that next block is somewhere else on the disk, you will need to incur the same penalties of seek time and rotational latency. We call this type of operation a random I/O. But if the next block happened to be located directly after the previous one on the same track, the disk head would encounter it immediately afterwards, incurring no wait time (i.e. no latency). This, of course, is a sequential I/O.

so that makes system image backups random reads then?

or is it sequential because it works its way from the top

Again, I think it's sequential, because it's not looking for specific blocks or files or anything for the image. It's just grabbing the whole thing and making an archive of it.

thanks user!
it made me think that it was random because i misunderstood, since windirstat *is* probing specific files, right?

i wish that were me

Beats me. I don't know that program specifically. I just know about stuff like making forensic disk images using dd. If it's looking for specific files, I guess that would probably be random.

alright, hopefully people with more experience will reply, but i guess the general principle applies

alright, i looked it up, windows system image uses block-by-block backups and prevents modification while its backing up

why does Jow Forums on my chromebook run well but 8 chan does not, went onto /tech/ there and the images barely loaded for me.? is the site dogshit???

What is the point of dmenu? So it's an application launcher. A way to launch programs without locking up a terminal instance. But why not just add a '&' at the end of the command? That will make it run in the background. No need for dmenu, right? Or am I missing something?

so now my question is: is block-by-block sequential or random?
this is my last one...

I'm having issues with my DWA182 wireless adapter repeatedly disconnecting, my online searches thus far aren't fixing it, I'm wondering if it's a compatibility issue with the households new router.
I was considering getting a new motherboard and wireless card, but I wonder if it would really be worth the hassle.

>side note, I have an undersized motherboard in an nzxt s340 because fuck me for shopping online.
>thus why I'm considering an upgrade.

Is it fixable? Is it a faulty connection?

Someone's insecure about their sexual orientation.

What's your problem with gay people?

iam looking for a language to rehandcraft basic math functions(like squares) by only writing arithmetic operations

i am equally shit at all languages so suggest me one to use
(also i cant run visual studio with my deadas laptop. and this dynamic-typed phython thing scares me(pref static) but you can change my mind)

Attached: ws.png (635x525, 669K)

What is a good, simple to use backup software for Linux for someone who wants backups to be automated?

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software#Backup_and_sync

Reminder that you can set up a cron job to do the rsync backup as often or as little as needed.

why isn't youtube-dl selecting 60fps videos for bestvideo+bestaudio/best? For example: youtube.com/watch?v=n9rhtSwAVfI this has 60fps option but youtube-dl doesn't download it. Also happens when using mpv.

Not sure whether my 4 year old 980GTX is dying or not.
Red dots sometimes on display. Changed cables since they were losing signal. DP cable lost all signal it won't receive signal after restart unlike the hdmi cable.
Sometimes display loses signal right when I open my browser.

Changed power outlet. Cleaned pc, wasn t much dust.

Been getting bsod's after pc would wake up, might be related?

Attached: 51236026_10214421066257425_7413964424572043264_n.jpg (720x627, 50K)

So I'm trying to purchase the right pci express cable for the 1070 I'm buying.

The 1070 needs only one 8 pin cord. I only have a 4 pin to two 6 pins and a 6 pin to a 4 pin, Obviously I can't use these as that wouldn't work.

I'm trying to find a male to male pci express cord for 8 pin on both ends. Why can't I find this on newegg?

I am currently using Naked Browser for Android, and I would like to make Startpage the default search engine with my preferences saved.

Turning off Use POST vs GET gives me a search result like this:
startpage.com/do/search?query=%s&cat=web&cmd=process_search&language=english&engine0=v1all&pg=0&abp=-1&prfe=... (preferences)

This is a step in the right direction, but the query comes before the rest of the link, so I placed %s where the query would be (%s should expand to the query). This did not work (Search results will always be "%s"). So, is there an alternative to %s that works with Naked Browser? Is this even a browser specific issue?

Attached: nakedbrowser.png (512x512, 27K)

spoonfeed my ass this time, please Jow Forums
using php don't ask why, got a form with 9 input fields. User can choose to input whatever character in any of these 9 fields. how do I know in which form he typed in? lmao

I made a program in NodeJS that sends a request every minute or so to a server until a condition is met. While waiting between requests, it does nothing. I need to launch an instance for each user on my site upon request. I'm expecting at most a few hundred concurrent sessions, but scalability would be nice. Each session can last between 15 and 60 minutes. How should I go about hosting such a service?
I am currently considering using AWS Fargate, but since each session is so light and long, it sounds like a waste. Before benchmarking the cost, I wanted to see if anyone else has any ideas.

I never did PHP, but can't you just check all the fields and see which are empty and which aren't?

Because of a wrongly reported bitrate.
Execute youtube-dl -F to see all available formats. You'll notice that youtube-dl downloads the video stream with the highest bitrate, but the shown bitrate doesn't correspond at all with the size of the stream (in your example 10.1 Mbps produce a 217.4 MB large file and 5.4 Mbps a 395.6 MB large file).

so is there a way to tell it to prefer 60fps?

A workaround would be
youtube-dl -f "bestvideo[fps>30]+bestaudio/bestvideo+bestaudio/best"
You can put that in your config file to avoid unnecessary typing.
That being said, it still doesn't solve the problem entirely. In your example the 1080p 60fps VP9 stream would be the best option (by a large margin looking at the file size), but because of the wrongly reported bitrate, it'll download the AVC variant.

hm I see thank you

I recently installed mpv, and i have two questions
How do you put an infinite loop by default ? And how do you disable the option that causes a window to open every time you open a file?

Got a new pc, but forgot to get windows pre-installed on it, it has no CD reader, and IU own no USB.

It does however have a M2 SSD, and a HDD, and I could get an iso onto them from my old pc.

However, my PC is so old, that it doesn't have M2 support. Could I throw the .iso onto the HDD instead, and then install windows on the SSD instead?

What I am asking is, can I install windows on another harddrive than the one the .iso is located on?

Underclock my gpu?
Could it be the PSU?

>use my moms internet at her place
>no ones home
>totally fuckin fine
>sisters/mom get home and start watchin netflix
>internet gets slower but bearable, just cant play online vidya
>fast forward to a week ago
>sisters get home
>all of a sudden internet shits itself
>have trouble just loading a web page
>my phone and other internet devices work fine
>just my pc gets shafted
>pc works fine when gaymin with friends at their pads
>just goes to shit at my moms when other people are home

Dafuq. Why the hell would thay even happen

what's a trusted brand for prebuilds around 1K max??
something like ibuypower, except not ibuypower

>inb4 prebuild
not for me, they know nothing about PCs, and i cant build it for them

anyone know how to fix this error
>Ethernet Doesn’t Have A Valid IP Configuration

I tried almost everything and still no internet, I'm about to throw this piece of shit out the window. It's like winshit gets worse with every update

Is there any possible way to allow truly anonymous online communication?

What is the logic that would allow people to communicate with each other but not disclose their address or have any third party know their address/identity? It's not technically possible is it?

The only solution I can think of is pretty much sending out messages to every address and then only those with the secret can read it but that is horribly inefficient and not feasible over the actual implementation of the internet.

Is there a way to retrieve data from a locked Android phone? All these programs to remove the password and such look really shady. Can't remember the password and it's not connected to the internet.

Can anyone help me out

>one of them
Faggot.

Pretty dumb question and im pretty sure the answer is yes I just want to be sure

if I connect to tor through a vpn does that mean my traffic is encrypted twice? Could I theoretically connect to a vpn inside a vpn inside a vpn and be encrypted multiple times??

Attached: 664.jpg (558x614, 18K)

Blockchain

Go into more detail.

1. Your CPU comes with a stock CPU Fan. The Dark Rock is another CPU fan you can install instead of the stock fan. I've always used a stock fan but they're nothing special. The other fan will work better and run quieter.

2. Depends on the motherboard. You'll have to review the manual which should talk about optimal ram configuration. Some boards have improved performance if you use two smaller ram cards (dual channel) instead of one large one.

3. One of the easiest ways is to install windows and then install a linux distro. During the linux install you'll be able to configure your computer to dual boot pretty easily. If you install in the reverse order windows will usually just install itself as the only OS and completely ignore the linux partition. There's lots of "beginner" linux distros: ubuntu, mint, elementary OS. These are just versions that come with lots of handholding and stuff preinstalled and preconfigured. Other distros will often provide a minimal base and allow the user to install and configure things to suit their needs.

not that user but the blockchain is public and shared, and also follows non repudiation meaning no one single person could change a message.

the only problem with that is that you would need a symmetric key to get the data from ciphertext into plain text which imo seems like a weak-point, if anyone gets the key its comprimsed.

In reality though, you are correct, anonymous communication in this day and age is impossible. the nsa can just use paralell tasking with the resources they have and crack literally anything in minutes, there is only so much keyspace, even in a 256 bit encryption, also hardware backdoors and glow niggers being directly involved with most encryption algs.

>muh blockchain

>every /sqt/ is starts with gay pedo shit now
I cant believe you fag enablers allowed this to happen

Gimme a good bluetooth mouse. Needs to work with MacBook Pro because my job is making me use one.

nigger what? I said I think its a bad idea.

Why are you opening /sqt/ to look at the OP picture? Just scroll down.

Whats the name of that theory where as we progress, technology becomes smaller yet more advanced

I googled your question and the first Wikipedia link answered it. Kys

How do you force yourself to program every day?
How do you come up with new ideas to program?

al gores law.

Probably just going to filter your fag containment thread

I'm the user from the last thread who was abour to install vim. So I installed vim (in the laptop with windows). Now I'm struggling with the latex puglin. I was trying to follow the steps given by the download page (vim-latex.sourceforge.net/index.php?subject=download&title=Download), but when i'm trying to do the step 3 it promps E150: Not a directory. What am i doing wrong?

I hope that's not Lelouch and Suzaku...

Attached: 1331816730081.jpg (953x536, 73K)

Ok, come back when you actually want to contribute and not bitch about retarded shit, dumbass.

K fagit enjoy getting aids and buring in hell and never having a dad who loves you

don't be a meanie
try thinking of some stuff that you wish existed or that you would benefit from having, and then try to create those things.
Moore's law. It's BS though, because things aren't getting faster/smaller/better at nearly the rate he claimed (doubling every two years). it was probably very true at the time, but now there's diminishing returns.

Throw out your gaming consoles, install a Linux distro and an IDE, then unplug your internet.
Eventually you'll get tired of staring at a blank screen and you'll get an idea.

Fuck off back to pedo faggot

>windows
user I...

So there's this gacha game I play and it's made in unity. They have some encrypted stuff for their TextAssetst which I want acess to from whatever db they using. How would I go on about doing this? I'm only able to retreive image assets from the game.

I've had good experience with the logitech MX series. I think mine was an Anywhere 2 or some variant of that.
it is.

I actually hate windows too, but i'm saving money to buy a proper gaymer pc and once i have it i willfinally install linux in this one. Btw now it promps E151 no match what the fuck am i doing wrong and why am i such a brainlet please help me imma kms

Attached: 89465416.gif (220x234, 55K)

I'm not gay and I view faggotry as a mental illness only curable through the use of bullets. But I could care less about the OP picture of /sqt/, because I'm not a fucking sperg. OP probably did it on purpose to fuck with your dumb ass.

fag enabler

Where does one get Micro$oft Office for free nowadays?

t. 40 year old boomer with office job

Shouldn't your job provide you with that?

Unfortunately, it does not. Our boss is Jewish.

$5 on eBay or risk getting malware from torrents

Will this help?
github.com/junegunn/vim-plug

>crack literally anything in minutes
Source?

kek.
what said, or you could always try LibreOffice. Some anons have reported compatibility issues, but unless you're doing really crazy formatting, you should be relatively okay.
Also, I think the google cloud office suite is free. If that can get the job done, then that's an option too.

I explicitly need Microsoft Excel.
Wat do? I do not have the means to get the trial/pay for it.

>$5 on eBay
be careful with that
krebsonsecurity.com/2019/01/dirt-cheap-legit-windows-software-pick-two/

Yeah don't buy accounts, buy keys.

I stupidly turned on fast boot on my gigabyte motherboard, and now I don't know how to turn it off. I need to be able to get access to the DEL and F11 menus but the quickboot doesn't let me because it just goes directly to windows. What should I do?

Attached: 1531871604570.jpg (1920x1080, 256K)

no source, just common sense, the nsa is not going to announce they have this capability.

Just consider this, Say one chip processing a key can crack it in 5 years,
now imagine you are the nsa with paralell tasking, how long does that take with 10 chips? 100? 1000? 100000?
considering the nsa has the ability to collect litterally every packet of data in the united states does this really seem that far fetched? Look into their data center in utah fren.

Reset CMOS

Any other options? Too lazy to open my PC up.

Any way to get windows 10 to look like this?

Attached: 1549336629456.png (1598x1199, 976K)

Nope. I found one person mentioning that if your PC has some bloatware program from your mobo manufacturer, you could use that to change the settings from Windows, but outside of that you're gonna have to open it up and reset that CMOS

I've been using the shit out of this laptop for the past 4 years and until a few months ago, the battery still had about 6000-something mAh left at full charge.
Since November I've been editing a lot of videos (literally hours if not days of rendering), could this have reduced the battery's life? I know the cycle count is super high but I swear I saw the number 6000 last time I checked the remaining mAh just last year.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 7.06.31 PM.png (1726x1264, 566K)

Is there an open source program that I can use to rip a bin/cue file from a CD?

I don't actually want to rip the file, I just want to dig through the source code and learn more about the difference between a bin/cue and the pattern of pits and lands on a disc.

Read your mobo's manual

Thanks user, but i don't really get what i have to do. I mean, once i have plug.vim in ~\vimfiles\autoload, i guess i have to edit _gvimrc and add something that starts with
call plug#begin()
Plug ' '
But what i have to write after plug? Plug 'vim-latex/vim-latex'?
I know i'm probably retarded but please help me.

Attached: 1542875035448.gif (500x280, 169K)

Bought an adapter to convert DMS-59 to HDMI so I can use one of the 11 Radeon HD 4550 graphics cards I have as my main card and connect it to the HDTV.

But connecting it to the HDTV I receive the error "Cannot display this video mode".

Could it be the card is way too old to display anything on a HDTV (2004). Could it be drivers aren't installed (KDE Neon). Any thoughts?

Attached: 20190209_013553164_1152.jpg (1920x1080, 364K)

How do I transfer files from my PC to my smartphone?

I would try some drivers desu, and try changing the refresh rate if you can

>try thinking of some stuff that you wish existed or that you would benefit from having, and then try to create those things.
I already made those things

If I overclock my CPU, just how badly will it damage my PC's operating lifespan?

FTP

It really depends on how much you're over locking and how good your ventilation/cooling is

Well, I'm considering pushing an i7-9700K from stock to 4.8 if I can help it. Not too sure if I won the silicon lottery or not, but I figured that'd be okay.