/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™!
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t.), X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s), T500, W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, socketed CPU, quadcore-compatible
>T520/T530, W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, quadcore; USB 3.0, 32GB RAM in W-series
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p, T540p, W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide:
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
thinkpads.monkeyfume.com
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>Coreboot compatibility list:
coreboot.org/status/board-status.html
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: x62 businessman.jpg (1386x1039, 281K)

Other urls found in this thread:

displaywars.com/14-inch-16x9-vs-8-inch-d{10x16}
youtube.com/watch?v=79r5rxS276Y&t=200
i.4cdn.org/g/1549684187387.png
stickyarsenal.com/product/g-toaster
rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/223213713875
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

lolis

lolis

lolis

lolis

My ThinkPad T520 is just showing a white screen after upgrading the LCD panel.
What do I do?

just got an X220, what distro should I install?

win10 ltsc

Can I boot from usb on the x220 tablet? I need to have a linux os for software at uni and i can't into dualboot.

Also recommend me usb sticks for a boot drive.

Attached: 51775680_769334216785976_6895758723180920832_n.jpg (540x403, 31K)

git gud fgt

What the fuck kind of question is this?
How did you find this board?

just finished making some modifications to my thinkpad t420, how'd i do

Attached: _U5E1407.jpg (2172x1940, 1.07M)

>installed Win 10 on my W520
>bluetooth disappeared completely, even the device
>the state of microsoft

Attached: 18ps27.jpg (1024x860, 102K)

ayy neat
that mini display should've been 16:10 though

Gentoo. Not even kidding.

It's like a reverse W7*ds with the mismatched brightness

Wtf how do you even close that

it was cheaper than a w700ds on ebay

it doesn't close properly with the side screen attached

I second 16:10:
displaywars.com/14-inch-16x9-vs-8-inch-d{10x16}
8" 16:10 fits perfectly next to the T420's 14" 16:9, and there are so many cheap tablets that have this screen size.
see: Fire HD 8, Lenovo Tab 4, Galaxy Tab A, etc.

This post is some form of surreal art.

I'm really intrigued by this; if you wouldn't mind, could you share in detail how you built this? The process, and the parts?

Yesterday, the wifi on my x60 automatically started reading nearby wifi and l have no idea what l did to make it do that. Today it automatically just shut down and it says thay its unavailable. Wtf do l do?

Attached: 1549596852761.png (820x720, 655K)

Best bag for 14"-15.6"?
>For protection?
>For rugged enviroments?
>Backpack?
>Messenger Bag?

messenger bags are for flamboyant homos

What are those things in the bottom right? Are those fans? Do they even do any cooling? I have so many questions

being this insecure

just drilled some holes into the bezel then but some screws through with a wing nut. used a 7 inch display meant for a raspi using the laptop's displayport output.
they are fans for cooling, not really that effective at idle, but do keep the temps slightly cooler under load, they are very loud though which is why i have them powered by usb instead of internally so i can unplug them

pretty sure user is making fun of the rash of recent stupid question posts like
>I have X thinkpad now, should I buy Y thinkpad?
that contain no other information

something milsurp that you like. shit costs very little compared to how solid most of it is as long as you don't let yourself get ripped off. I'm using an east german combat pack to cart my x201 and some books/notebooks around atm. fits perfect, is completely weatherproof, and was fucking cheap. also user is right, messenger bags are pretty gay

being this gay

Would a DRAM vs DRAM-less ssd make a difference when used with a T60?

I got a budget of $140. What thinkpad specifically should I buy. I mostly code java and browser Jow Forums.

Attached: obs64_t44WSxKqKq.jpg (1342x808, 166K)

Ok boys, what's your favorite trackpoint cap?

Attached: 1538522115421.png (640x640, 150K)

t420/t430
x220/x230 if you find one with IPS screen at that price
dramless ssds are always shit
soft rim

Attached: akarin.jpg (986x1188, 325K)

Can I get the 2 on the left for the X220? They look way more comfy

Attached: apu_happy.png (657x527, 44K)

Size of the trackpoint should be the same though I only know for a fact that the X230 one fits on a X31.

how can i verify if my x230 has an IPS? i dont wanna be an idiot and buy a new panel to find out its already an ips

do you have eye cancer?
>yes
tn
>no
ips

is that a thinkpad topload?
thats so nice

My T410s has a pretty good display relative to most non-IPS thinkpads, if you care about that kind of thing. Otherwise, X220 will do the job well for you.

What is IPS known for? Angle viewing.

Hence, view the monitor from an angle. If it becomes black/unreadable, you have TN.

youtube.com/watch?v=79r5rxS276Y&t=200

This TN monitor is supposed to be one of the "best" TN on the market. For laptop TN, you'll have low end TN.

If I buy a t540p or w540 without touchscreen, can I replace the display with a touchscreen one?

Has anyone else developed an emotional attachment to your thinkpad or am I just autistic?

Pretty sure the t540p/w540 doesn't come with a touchscreen option.

If you don't have a FHD option and you want a 3k screen upgrade you need a new back cover assembly and a new cable (don't quote me on the last part, I do know you need new parts for the screen assembly but not specifically which ones)

That's fine, you can always replace both batteries if you need to.

you're just autistic

tfw got t460 for 400 from the auction but it's bios locked

Attached: 1526386978527.jpg (613x587, 11K)

Attached: ▄█ █▄█ ▄█▀ ▀█▀.png (500x737, 522K)

Can you click by tapping the trackpoint?

IIRC you only need a new back cover assembly if it's one of the models with the wedges (more common with the T520p then the W540s), in the other models you only need to route the 40 pin cable.

definitely soft rim, the classic dome is ok, and I don't know how people can handle the standard one

Took your guys advice and got a T420

Attached: T420.png (727x172, 48K)

I love all my tech shit, if that counts.

Because I'm poor as shit I'm very careful with all my tech.

As am I, but I'm not poor, I'm just jewish.

Return it or ask for a refund.

Look up how much it would cost to unlock, iirc allservice.ro does it, just you need to dump the BIOS from your machine (so factor in the tools for that as well) and then demand a partial refund of that amount.

I can't find a clear answer. Is an X200t with an L9600 processor able to be librebooted? It has 2GB of ram and I'm assuming the seller didn't modify anything.

it's still usable with a good spec i guess the problem i just can't use vm, i got too excited when i got it and forgot asking everything about it

ebay?
if it wasn't listed i'd return or partial refund
bios lock is a defect that should be listed. that's like a mostly unneeded keyboard key not working and he didn't list it. it could hinder you installing an os, etc. most likely the seller new and was hoping the person buying wouldn't find out

Still demand the refund (or return it), otherwise whoever sold it will try to pull the same shit with someone else. I had a guy sell me a w540 saying it had 3k display, it did not. Got $120 back and kept the system

Have a T430 with an SSD. Was wondering if I can also install an HDD? Sorry, brainlet... I haven't took it apart yet, but I don't see any slots for an hdd

ultrabay adapter, you lose dvd drive while using the hdd.

Don't listen to the other user who said T410. T410s are known to be absolute shit, and have a major heating problem (your t410 will eventually start shutting off on you). Get a t420+

I don't use the DVD drive anyway. Thanks user

Mac OS

i want to up my x230 lcd to fhd what models are compatible?

>X220
>Fan error
Bought a new fan, still doesn't work. Anyone know how to bypass the error and boot up? Definitely could press ESC on older Thinkpads (X61) to get to the OS.
>but user, you'll kill ur CPU
Don't give a shit, if you know how to do this please HALP!!!!

Does the fan spin? Check the sense wire and the socket side of things.

Nope. Pretty sure it's the fuse at this point. Don't care about this board anymore and am fully prepared to burn it out just to use it for a few mins. Looking for what I couldn't find by Googling - a key to press at the boot screen when the error pops up.

I mean, if you don't give a fuck, try bridging the connectors on the fan header and see what happens.

Is this a serious suggestion? I'm afraid I have no idea what this means.

did I do good user I upgraded my x220 to 6gb of RAM and a new keyboard and a new battery but the HDD cover doesn't fit and I think they sent me the wrong one I just ignore it I can't pop it in

my desktop

i.4cdn.org/g/1549684187387.png

>Is this a serious suggestion?
I guess that's for you to decide. I sure as shit wouldn't do it, but you said you didn't care, and it may "resolve" the error.

Why isn't there a way to do this? If the CPU gets too hot the computer shuts off anyway. Just let that happen like the old Thinkpads did, reeeee!

But what EXACTLY does "bridge the connectors on the fan header" mean? I'm not computer illiterate by any means but IDFK what this means. Not exactly an electrical engineer here.

people would kinda assume you're a kid for taking a backpack to work where I live, even though its comfier, unless you're riding a bike/motorcycle.
1st by far, too bad its only sold by chinks m8.
Just seal it with electrical tape until you get a replacement.
Could it be that when you reinserted the MoBo, that the fan header popped off? happened to me once

Do you mean the black, plastic connector to the board with 4 wires? I've taken the computer apart and reassembled it several times and it's never worked, doubt it popped out every time and was reconnected when I disassembled it the next time, lol.

Jam a screwdriver in the fan plug and turn it on.

>posting a link to a 4cdn image
what the fuck is this nigger shit

Can't. It's on the bottom of the board. Any other bright ideas?

posting this here because the rest of this board is pretty shit lately, and like hell would I ever start a sticker thread, but I love (most) of my chinkpad bros
since most of you fags probably get short-term cases of PTSD opening Jow Forums by accident let alone lurk the patch thread - stickerbot just restocked
pic related is available again
stickyarsenal.com/product/g-toaster

Attached: g toaster.png (500x400, 426K)

>Jow Forums
i'll pass, again

yeah he's a retard for not fixing it before ordering more but people fawn over these whenever they pop up so figured I'd pass the word on

Is it normal temperature for T420? (I'm new into tech)

Attached: Снимок.png (707x543, 105K)

I skipped the original batch too because the uppercase Jow Forums is fucking dumb, some user made a mockup of that vector with a lowercase Jow Forums and looked way better.
I make anime decals for my stuff now anyway so whatever.
Yeah it's fine

Honestly, if you cant figure out how to do even that, I highly doubt you would be capable of carrying out any other suggestions.
Good luck.

it's probably modeled after the official /o/ shitbox one (though I'm not sure which came first) where it's easier to get away with on a slap: /o/ vs /O/
are you fucking around

Hi guys, Jow Forums illiterate normie here

I'm an international affairs student and I've realized that I really need a portable laptop to use for studies. I know this one is fuckin expensive but it's got nice upgrades. What do you guys think? I'm seriously dumb so please be gentle.

rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/223213713875

He says this like its physically possible to power the thing on while being able to poke at the bottom of the mobo... The battery connector is down there too, ya nut, and I'll be fucked if I try any dumb shit while plugged in.

You can power the fucking motherboard outside of the chassis you goddamn knuckledragger.

How when the battery connector is on the bottom of the fucking board and needs to make contact with the battery??? Jesus Christ. It won't work anyway. The thing tests the fan speed at boot and if it don't spin at a certain rate it shuts off... Don't see how shorting the fan is gonna make it think it's spinning at any rate whatsoever.

>$200
>"""refurb""" that looks like shit worse than a used one
>i5
>locked bios
no unless you're capable of shorting your bios to unlock it
also you don't want a tablet, let alone a 16:9 one

I'll take "What the fuck is the power jack for?" for $600, Alex. You do not need a battery in place to power up, nor would the motherboard battery header being exposed do jack or shit.
I don't think it would work either, but the user said they didn't give a fuck about the board, so why not do some retard experiments?

So what do you guys think about the thinkpad yoga or something equivalent?
I want a thinkpad to use for programming (college) but I also like that it has a stylus and can be used to draw and stuff.
Is it worth or should I stick to regular thinkpads?

Attached: lenovo-laptop-thinkpad-l380-yoga-feature-1.jpg (577x445, 47K)

its not worth it I bought a x200 and although the performance is great and yes its the tablet model I never use the tablet feature

if you like the idea of 360 yoga stuff then maybe, thinkpad yoga is basically just a slightly better consumer version, consider only if you really plan to use the 360 hinge and touchscreen functions a lot

shit
a touchscreen laptop is retarded and a 16:9 tablet is also retarded