Moving away from systemd

Redpill a dumb debian babby on void or slackware, which takes less time to install and configure, i am also assuming slackware is more stable.

Attached: D4EA75F4-6CA2-41BE-B5C9-44F56DADC175.png (250x206, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.voidlinux.org/Network_Configuration#Wireless_.28default.29
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Slackware is even more stable than Debian and requires very little configuration. The only problem I have with it is thar the default install has a fuck ton of stuff in it.

It has 10GB worth but all dependencies are met and you have a complete operating system. Also 10GB is nothing with the size of hard drives today - a 30GB root partition is nothing. My /home partition is 178GB which is plenty.

So i should just git gud and go for slackware, i have an optimus laptop so im assuming i will have just as much difficulty with it on both o.s’s, keep in mind im a total noob. I can fix things by reading wikis or asking for help on irc, but who cant.

I need to learn how to parition a. Hard drive properly, i will probably just watch a youtube video on it, im sick of debian breaking my shit

Also bear in mind community. The Slackware community on LQ is a very knowledgeable place. Also the Void maintainer is AWOL and the forum is down.

Slackware is reallt easy to install and isn’t really that hard to use honestly and the wiki is good enough to walk you through the installation, updates, and the little configuration you need, so yeah just go for slackware.

Alright im sold. Slackware it is, i originally wanted to install slackware but void seemed like it was easier to install than void and i am really busy with schoolwork atm. Slackware will be worth it im sure

Others have taken his place, not to mention he appeared again recently.

I'd go for Void but I use it since years so whatever. Never had anything break except an upstream driver regression that was fixed in little time.

i tend to turn off the DE's and I don't think I ever needed most of the programs in the xap set. disabling some of the stuff in ap might be good too if you know what you're doing.

obviously, emacs and the tex suites are up to you. you can get rid of a few networking programs too but unless you understand UNIX networking you shouldn't fuck with it. libraries are not worth messing with either.

also that's another thing that kinda sucks about slackware. you would think you'd find every non-X library in the l set, right? but no, stuff like nettle is in the n set instead. it's really not well organized at all which is guess is what happens when you're the oldest distro that's still kicking.

Im trying to install void but m having trouble with the installer in particular wifi. Is this something to just config manually. My laptop does not have n ethernet port.

bump

How hard is it to get the wifi card to work in slackware

oh look another void thread
filtered

If the installer isn't connecting to your wifi, you're going to have to do it manually. I did this on my thinkpad by following this guide.
wiki.voidlinux.org/Network_Configuration#Wireless_.28default.29

Also, which iso are you installing from? I think the Mate live desktop might come with Network Manager, which should make things easier. I could be wrong, my memory sucks.

If you plan on using your laptop in public wifis, I would suggest installing Network Manager anyway, or else it's gonna be a pain in the ass to connect every time.

Attached: lain1.jpg (1080x1080, 131K)

slackware 15 fucking when

i don't believe in rolling releases

>debian babby
have you considered running the systemd-less version of Debian, called Devuan?

can you read retard?

Attached: 1548032273716.jpg (640x896, 48K)

i have, i dont want old packages, and i dont want such a faggy package manager that breaks all my other shit when i install things.

Meanwhile, gtk+ and qt are in the l/ set...
Honestly, the only real optional sets are tex, emacs, faqs, kernel sources, tcl, kde, kdei, xfce and games. A bunch of CLI applications are (indirectly) linked to X11 for dumb reasons and like you mentioned some rather core libraries are in n/ or even ap/. And even then I believe tcl/ contains hfsprogs and tk which is useful for things like git and python (and is required for some packages to build).

While the installer doesn't make it seem as such, practically, slackware is either all-in or nothing, there's nothing really in-between. While I personally like that for a desktop computer, I'd prefer some more flexibility for things like servers, without having to manually figure out the dependency tree.

i think the most obvious solution would be to spread it out even further. put networking libs in nl, any X11 related lib in xl and etc.

slackware users don't really like change though

Slackware stable has even older packages though, and Slackware current becomes a newbie nightmare once you start adding packages from different sources without knowing what you're doing. Even Arch would be easier.

i see.

I've been keeping this site over 5 years and no one's convinced me to hate SystemD

> Replaces shell scripts with C code
> Faster start up times
> Init for the PC generation

Sounds pretty fucking good to me. Prove me wrong.

Fyi my history:
Ubuntu -> Mint -> Debian -> Gentoo -> FreeBSD -> Ubuntu

And I fucking love it.

i can't believe 14.2 is stuck on GCC 5

It’s a lot like wrestling, when you think about it:

faggot.

neckbeard

literal scum. systemd is a cancer to the linux system and never should have been implemented, the day of the rope cant come quick enough for you daft fools

Ayye did not need to do that. I used the xfce .iso and just configed network thru xfce.
Hardest part was figuring out dual boot without butt fucking my efi partition. The i installer is pretty vague about the bootloader.

>trying out void
>ships with tons of firmware installed
wait, i thought this shipped free-only by default?
>xbps-remove ipw2100-firmware
>breaks wifi-firmware
>xbps-remove wifi-firmware
>breaks base-system
am i missing something here? that doesn't sound right

just werks man turn offyour brain.

Wait until you discover LVM

Just install MX Linux instead you brainlet

>shilling your faggy distro
no thanks I will go with the true gentlemans choice i.e. slackware

Attached: 1542820309768.png (1024x768, 280K)

which is easier to rice with i3 or dwm that's all i care about

If you really don't want systemd, switch to Mac OS or Windows. The only Linux distros that don't use systemd are for hobbyists. I'm not retarded enough to trust a bunch of anonymous kids with control over my system so I stick with Ubuntu.

I have a T400 and every time I make a liveboot usb to install void I boot to a black screen with a blinking cursor in tge top left corner. This has happened with the last three releases, and. What am I doing wrong?

>being this retarded
if you arent lazy slackware is worth it from what this thread has told me.

Attached: 1544576707280.png (645x729, 90K)

>ponyos

cuck

And your point is?..

Attached: 1548349881290.gif (800x600, 144K)

Base mate void is almost 10x startup time than mate mint or mate ubuntu.
Not sure if it's just because of runit.

Install Gentoo.