Is it pointless?

Is it pointless?
>gizmodo.com/i-cut-the-big-five-tech-giants-from-my-life-it-was-hel-1831304194

Attached: Dw4i60JX4AIzH7D.jpg large.jpg (1334x750, 115K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ipfs.io/ipfs/QmUp85D4oYaTWdGjfS2B
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No. These companies do not respect you or me. Of course cutting them out is a good thing.

That being said I refuse to read that article. I've lived without consuming any of their products for years now.

Anyone who still uses social media shit needs to be culled.

Okay, I'm reading it. She also didn't consume website that are hosted on AWS. That's a bit farther than I take it.

It’s not pointless. If such a change enriches your life, why not?

You posted this on social media.

As much as smooth-brains like you love to redefine things based on popular trends, forums, image boards, BBS, etc. are not social media.

other then google (because they basically make the OS for all phones) i really dont see what the problem is .
can you install something other then android on smarphones that works ?

>It was hell
fucking zoomers

I'd like to fill her void, if you know what I am saying.

The void is in her soul, which can only be filled by the power of Christ.

archive shitty blogs you fucking moron

i bet she can't even learn to code

cd
cd ..
cd
cd
cd ...
cd...
cd

wrong

They are online mediums through which to be social, yes, they are social media.

apart from the clickbait title, that wasn't bad imo and it just goes into how those companies have their hands on every facet of the internet.

>technologist

>it was hell
i havent used a google, apple, amazon, facebook, or microsoft service/product in years
>duckduckgo instead of google
>gnu/linux instead of microshaft dindus
>ebay instead of amazon
>no social media outside of anonymous imageboards because im not a faggot
i have a $200 chink smartphone with lineageos on it to avoid android (google) and apple (any apple phone and iOS itself).

i haven't touched 'the big five' in a long time and it was no struggle to switch over. is this bitch actually retarded? how does she have a tech blog if she cant even escape the cyber-jews without suffering

There's a chance that you still use services that are hosted on AWS/etc. Blocking these indiscriminately was part of what she claimed to do, and the article points out the difficulty of finding things that don't touch those services in some way or another.

lmao why did you pick a random photo of Jen for this thread?

IMO it stops being social media when the focus isn't on certain people but the content itself. On twitter for example you follow certain people, on Jow Forums and Leddit i couldn't give less of a fuck about which cunt posted the content as long as it's interesting

It's like you didn't read the article

It wouldn't let me post without a picture.

well keep in mind that the author is... someone who writes for Gizmodo. Do you have 8000 email contacts or 1500 phone numbers in your contact lists? I sure don't, I make it to maybe 1/100th of that.

I say the lack of background noise in life is a positive improvement. It's one thing to have music on while driving (which I do in my old car via an MP3 player and one of those fake cassette tapes) but the rest of the time, who needs it? I'm astonished by how many people have no silence in their lives, ever, always a TV on or music playing.

The file sharing bit just told me that she apparently can't use SSH. If she has a Purism laptop, she has that, make an account for someone, give them SFTP access, enjoy transferring files bigger than any email or file-locker service will let you. I have actually gotten normies to download filezilla and punch in a login to my machine to download movies.

My replacement for maps would be... a sense of direction. If you paid attention while driving instead of looking at your infotainment crap maybe you'd be able to get around your own home town without assistance.

also I agree with the above user who said "fucking zoomers". Why the fuck does nobody wear a fucking watch?

I use uMatrix to block connections to AWS and Google services and stuff, to prevent trackers from following me
I did read the article. She is an idiot.

>apart from the clickbait title, that wasn't bad imo...
I'd say good, I usually never finish reading anything like this but it wasn't bad.

>>duckduckgo instead of google
Duckduckgo uses AWS, as explained in the article

Are you trolling?
You just fed Google AI by posting on 4channellette

>oh no I can't live without top 5 tech companies

Couldn't possibly a shill. People have been barely suriving before teh advent of computers.

>my husband, Trevor, who declined to do the block with me because he has “a real job,”
>“I sent you some messages on Signal,” Trevor says, having forgotten I am off it.
lol her husband is a total NPC brainlet

Attached: 1527277939447.gif (500x281, 1.29M)

>Leddit
Literally has a follow button now and is trying to be Facebook 2.

>admitting to browsing Reddit
Get out

Attached: 1542324518971.jpg (396x382, 41K)

that's actually pretty impressive.

Surprisingly not that bad of an article, but she's taking it unreasonably far imo. If the issue is with the tracking (which it is) rather than the service, then it's ok to use the service if you use methods to prevent the services from tracking you. Sometimes, tracking is an integral part of the service (iPhone, Gmaps, Facebook) in which case that service cannot be used, but if you have a VPN, a common useragent, and tracker/cookie blocking, there's no downside to using AWS-hosted sites.

getting rid of amazon prime sounds like the hardest part

>she had trouble reducing her number of contacts that she regularly communicates with down to 145, which she remarks is close to dunbars number
i have like 1 person i regularly talk to....

Attached: 1549340343212.jpg (1280x720, 91K)

I have 1, and he is called "Anonymous"

Did any of you zoomerfags actually read the article? Here's a snippet among many other relevant bits:
>Unfortunately, when I go to Onionshare.org to download it, the website won’t load.
>“Hah, yes,” emails Micah when I ask about it. “Right now it’s hosted by AWS.”
The whole point is that the underlying SERVICES rely on the Big Five whether you like it or not. AWS rules the web. Google rules captcha, and by extension, all logins that don't use cloudlfare to filter out bots. Most of the technology the author relies on are admittedly botnet trash that they shouldn't be using to begin with, but the *invasion* of the Big Five is very real.

Attached: tank man.jpg (1000x687, 263K)

>reading that vomit of words that looks like a high schooler trying to hit a word count

women as journalists were a mistake, its like they dont understand the meaning of "concise" at all
i knew one girl that thought the more she wrote the more it looked like she knew, when in actuality it was just drivel
kinda like robert jordan, which is ironically in the picture of the article

She looks like she fucks butch dykes.

>But Ask.com is not necessarily a great replacement: it’s owned by IAC, the media and dating company behemoth. I’ve just traded one huge corporation seeking to monetize my searches for another, less competent one.
Well the article was more interesting than I expected, but oh god the bootlicking is unbelieveable. Competent my ass.

>i knew one girl that thought the more she wrote the more it looked like she knew
did she actually say that?

what's most telling is that she regards having her searches (or browsing, etc) monetized as acceptable at all. Then again she works at a company whose business is grinding out whatever content can rustle up some eyeballs to bring in the ad money, who cares about what it is. Its hard to see what the problem is when a company that's part of the problem is paying your salary.

yes actually, she used a bit more words to describe it, but it came down to, "i write alot to deflect from the fact that i dont know anything about this"

i've read plenty of things which give this impression, but i didn't realize the writers were consciously doing it, fuck.

Shoo shoo, incel.

Just because the term wasn't around when those things first started doesn't mean the term doesn't apply. The primary content of this site is media (text and images) that people share. Forums are social media just as much as Facebook.

they literally train you to do that in high school and college with minimum page/word counts. Teenagers aren't so stupid as adults suppose, they know a one-way bet when they see it: you might lose marks for coming in too short, but never will you lose marks for coming in too long. And you're more likely to lose marks for being too short on page count than for having unoriginal ideas.

a good teacher would've marked down for going over the limit since it isn't fair to the other people who met the requirements. too bad any monkey with a fist up its ass can teach english at a high school

She went farther in the whole "muh freedom" meme than anyone on Jow Forums

>Background noise in general disappears this week because YouTube, Apple Music, and our Echo are all banned—as are Netflix, Spotify, and Hulu, because they rely on AWS and the Google Cloud to get their content to users.
Ever heard of a fucking RADIO.

>"Some strange things are delightful: I discover that my Nokia phone can play the radio, so when I go running, I listen to NPR instead of my usual go-tos: Spotify, a podcast, or an audiobook."

That is the most pathetic bullshit article I've ever read, on several layers actually.

Oh so she has, she just forgot about it until she found it in her phone.

The question I have is more why you would cut them out completely.
Sure, cut out your accounts, limit the ability for them to track you across sites and so on, but not being able to download software because a site is using their services? That's pretty dumb.

Please dont directly link to these sites. I know everyone here has ads disabled but its good practice

you're right but I've literally never heard of anyone ever getting marked down for turning in something that was too long. Even good teachers tend to refrain from doing that.

She told you why in the first sentence
>A couple of months ago, I set out to answer the question of whether it’s possible to avoid the tech giants.

kys autism

Why would he lie in the internet?

Attached: IMG_20180518_130508_775.jpg (843x663, 54K)

>and Apple

Apple is utterly inconsequential, why are they even mentioned?

Attached: 1548865537924.gif (500x500, 256K)

So uhh, she's retarded right?

She didn't have to go flipphone. There's Sailfish OS and to a lesser extent gapp-less Android. Perfectly doable.

The other ones like Microsoft and Apple aren't even things most people use these days. Many simple people don't have Windows at home anymore, and just use phones for computing. I don't know anyone that uses any non-mobile Apple products anymore, including laptops.

Amazon.ca is almost useless compared to Amazon.com so that one isn't a big deal here.

Many people here insult her for either not going all the way, or going all the way and then complaining about it. Face it: most people in this thread deeply rely on the services made by just five Internet companies--in some cases, our country's wealthiest. It's a problem for everyone, but especially the free software community, for data and Internet infrastructure to be concentrated in the hands of such a small few. The entire point of this article was to point out how far the problem of Internet monopolies has gotten, and how there still aren't viable competitors to a lot of these services.

>Who needs it?
Everybody with a soul, faggot

I wanna marry her and live out in the woods hunting squirrels.

On the plus side she didn't complain about using Linux at all.

try getting a job without linkedin

>Microsoft
Half the damn internet is hosted on Azure...hell Apple's iCloud it partly hosted on Azure

a few years back I moved to a new town in another state and my gf would only ever use maps to get around and still to this day doesn't know where anything is or how to get to it without her phone. at the time we moved I didn't have a smart phone so I was able to teach myself how to get anywhere I need in town. I no longer use GPS maps and its always funny to me seeing people driving on the freeway where there are giant signs giving you all the information that you need yet people are constantly staring at their gps wondering how to get there.

I get that its a Gizmodo article. But are most of you really that autistic that you couldn't even simply read the article before jumping to conclusions?
She makes some good points that apparently some of you need to know

>duckduckgo instead of google
duckduckgo uses AWS stupid.
if you had actually read the article like you claim you would know that.

as if he really thinks this deep.
>if im using gnu/linux and delete social media I am good.

I haven't ordered from amazon in years. but I am an autist who actually enjoys going into stores.

using the internet without touching AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud at some point is basically impossible

>itt incels are defending botnet, claiming she went way too far blocking it
oh wow

Attached: disgusting-2.jpg (404x404, 22K)

please don't tell you me buy into this "technolulgy is addiciton" bullshit.

The radio in her car is one of those weird microsoft ones. so she wouldn't use it.

I would pump her full of Jesus' word.

>She didn't have to go flipphone. There's Sailfish OS and to a lesser extent gapp-less Android. Perfectly doable.
she boycotted the products of these companies while doing this experiment too. not just the Software. also it wasn't a flipphone stupid
>The other ones like Microsoft and Apple aren't even things most people use these days. Many simple people don't have Windows at home anymore, and just use phones for computing. I don't know anyone that uses any non-mobile Apple products anymore, including laptops.
Azure is a thing, and once again she boycotted the products of these companies.
>Amazon.ca is almost useless compared to Amazon.com so that one isn't a big deal here.
AWS
its almost like you didn't read any of this and are pretending to know what you're talking about.

That was the point of the article you fucking retard.

it is, that's why you spend all waking hours on your pc user.

Pointless extremes
I'll use what I want, whatever makes live more convenient for me
she looks like a dyke anyway lol

ipfs.io/ipfs/QmUp85D4oYaTWdGjfS2B
rgxFoRyiUfkwVegh3Ckc2DgJyR/www.gizmodo.com.au/2019/02/i-cut-the-big-five-tech-giants-from-my-life-it-was-hell/index.html

Jow Forums - technology

>Amazon
The local e commerce sites are better in here desu
>Google
At this point their only products I use are Youtube,Maps and Translate. Youtube used to be an independent company anyways. Sadly there is no alternative for the latter two especially for a third world cuntry like mine.
>Facebook
>Microsoft
>Apple
Easy

see

She has a husband though

She is not the same woman as in the OP

look up what the word 'social' means

we are in antisocial media

switch to infinity chan

>people playing semantics games about whether Jow Forums is social media because it is ""social"" interaction.
I guess it technically is, but in the lowest sense of the word. when people talk about "social media" they typically mean Apps that you publicly share content as yourself such as facebook or instagram. Jow Forums isn't the same as those two with its anonymity, lack of profiles, handles, self pruning posts. etc.
the term SOCIAL MEDIA typically applies to apps or websites that you specifically share things about yourself on.

that's not even the girl who wrote the article

Attached: 1548793612978.jpg (640x640, 30K)

>Apple
Dropped ages ago, I only have an old iPad mini gathering dust in my basement
>Microsoft
Dropped ages ago
>Facebook
Never even picked it up, shit platform
>Google
Might be a problem here, because captcha, translation, AOSP, maps
>Amazon
Might be a problem here, because AWS
But the article is probably about her suffering without buying shit on Amazon, every week posting shit on Facebook every minute, and using her iPhone

>Gizmodo
Those people create hell out of every situation. If they don't get their favorite brand of cereal they will cry and piss their pants.

>might be a problem
You are using Jow Forums. a website that uses captcha and google based ads.
>Might be a problem here, because AWS
But the article is probably about her suffering without buying shit on Amazon, every week posting shit on Facebook every minute, and using her iPhone
she specifically didn't use AWS. had nothing to do with buying shit from amazon. dummy.

let's see:
>Amazon
I don't have an Account, so I don't use any of their obvious services, but I don't block AWS, as that's basically impossible if you want to use the internet in any way.
>Google
Google Cloud is the same as AWS obviously. I use LineageOS on my phone, don't have a Google Account, though I often use Startpage for searching, which just proxies Google results. The one Google service I use a lot (too much) is youtube.
I have used a hosts blocker to block even more Google stuff, including Captcha, but that gave me some issues - I couldn't post here for example (which is actually a good thing I guess).
>Microsoft
Again, Azure. I have a Microsoft account from school and use Windows because I need it for some programs (for school as well). I have a Github account though that's mostly to have the username. It's also pretty hard to avoid cloning from GitHub if there's a program that's not in my distro's package repos...
>Facebook
I use Whatsapp because I'm not a shut-in and my normie friends don't want to switch to signal. Though I'm not sure, privacy-wise, how do plain old SMS compare to Whatsapp? I don't use Facebook itself or Instagram.
>Apple
I have an old Macbook Pro, though I run Linux on it. I think I also have an Apple Account from when I got it, as those are almost impossible to delete.

THE FUCKING ARTICLE IS ABOUT HOW AWS, AZURE, AND GOODLE CLOUD ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO GET AWAY FROM ON THE INTERNET AND HOW HARD IT IS TO USE ANYTHING WITHOUT THOSE SERVICES.