AMD APUs

Is AMD going to release a decent APU now that they have some more space for more cores? I want to build a machine with a powerful CPU and passable graphics without having to get a GPU and I want it to fit into as small of a case as possible. Is that gonna be possible or am I going to have to choose between a shitty Ryzen 5 2400g or a larger tower with a dedicated card?

Attached: MW-FX126_lisa_s_20171026160018_ZH.jpg (890x501, 67K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/NUC8I7HVK-QuadCore-i7-8809G-Thunderbolt-Support/dp/B07CZ4C63
twitter.com/AnonBabble

it's possible but unlikely it will be any good because they don't have any decent GPUs

>Is AMD going to release a decent APU now that they have some more space for more cores?
No, it has no market outside of consoles.

That they do.

The 2200g is the same price as the other Ryzen 3 chips and has the same performance as them with the added bonus of integrated graphics. It's not exactly a powerhouse but it's a good value.

They need to push high-end integrated graphics for laptops harder. With the kids all playing Fortnite, etc. on their laptops you'd think there'd be a strong market for ultrabook-form-factor laptops that don't have dogshit Intel graphics.

>They need to push high-end integrated graphics for laptops harder
Anything performance GPU will always be discrete.

IGP performance is limited ultimately by memory bandwidth. Dual channel DDR4 doesn't provide enough bandwidth for a moderately powerful IGP. HBM is requisite, but far too expensive, so that isn't happening.

Not for the next APU generation, but maybe for the one after that

>AMD
>decent release
its going to be shit otherwise as long as theres amd logo

I want a new APU for my new router, and Nas. I hope AMD delivers a few cheap low consumption. APUS with ecc, and more than 8 pcie lanes.

This, 3000 APUs are really going to be just a "shrink" from 14 to 12nm.

And that is correct, I wouldn't expect there to be APUs with much faster GPUs than Ryzen 2000s even in 4000 generation. HBM is a no go for an APU. It could be cheaper to give the iGPU dedicated memory slots, but not on AM4 as it'd require extra pins on CPU.

There is a huge market for a good APU, its the majority of the fucking computer market. Which Intel controls because they make better chips.

>Which Intel controls because they make better chips

tripfag tripfagging

>as long as theres amd logo
Sound like a brilliant metric system

I would like to see passive-cooled APU in next gen.

Attached: Photo editing_Cloud20180923_1_1.jpg (1513x855, 129K)

There's no market for fat APUs outside of consoles.

The only way to "solve" the APU problem is to put faster memory on the GPU. Maybe for laptops they can have a channel manufactures to solder a few gigs of GDDR onto the board and with Vega Mobiles graphics it could possibly net them performance somewhere between the MX150 and 1050MaxQ (Closer to the MX150, but hey)

At one point AMD were allegedly thinking of selling GDDR memory modules specifically for APUs after all, but had to come up with a new slot standard, etc.

There's no problem.
Want faster graphics?
Go get discrete one.

what if they put an HBM module and do it like an SoC?

You'll get beyond expensive niche product that won't recoup the tapeout costs.

That already exists but it's considered overpriced because HBM is expensive.

amazon.com/NUC8I7HVK-QuadCore-i7-8809G-Thunderbolt-Support/dp/B07CZ4C63

Better wait for a zen 2 APU with Navi graphics
[spoiler]it will never happend ik :c [/spoiler]

Look who it is

Attached: Tripfag.jpg (1312x1740, 599K)

Attached: dpa649z6udf21.png (1024x420, 503K)

It's not the same performance when you have neutered PCIE lanes splitting M.2 NVME with PCIE graphics.

meh whats with these rich people, i have a 2200g and i upgraded to a rx560 (when the rx570 was still too expensive) anyway the upgrade was okay, not much of a performance increase for all the added heat and power honestly i dont know why these fanboy psychos just admit that the discrete GPU market is on its way out, computers are getting smaller, youll just have to get used to it.

Attached: 17799438_103155226903242_4102914102617298197_n.jpg (200x200, 10K)

>amd invented apu

Attached: 1546961111234432697.jpg (1540x900, 186K)

All ryzen cpus have 4x pcie dedicated to an m.2 slot on most motherboards. The apu ryzen lose 8x lanes to the graphics card slots, so only one 8x is available even on x470 boards.
The athlon apu is cut down further and each motherboard is missing various crap with these cpus.

What's up with that tripfag and his weird hate bonner for AMD? Did Dr. Su ate his waifu or something?

There was a feature on fury where you could tell the gpu that it had 512MB of local vram and 16GB of vram from the system's ram. This worked really well as the local vram worked as a huge fast cache.
This could be used on apus, having a small hbm chip and then the rest of the vram on the main system.

I'm waiting for a 8c+vega apu from the zen2 chiplet design to get a decent laptop.

APUs seem to be a generation behind, will probably get Zen2 APUs when the Zen2+ CPUs are coming out. the 3xxx series APUs are based on Zen+ after all.

There's no Zen2+.
Zen3 is next.

2400G is passive if you have good enough cooler :)

for gaming maybe, I am looking at the GPUs for machine learning.

there wasnt a zen+ too in the start but amd created it

There was, Pinnacle Ridge was mentioned since ages ago.

The rumor mill suggests that there will be Zen2 in two iterations, with the low to mid end coming in March-May and the high end coming later in the year

>now that they have some more space for more cores
MOAR COARS.

MOAR COARS NOW OR I BLOW THIS THREAD UP.

Attached: 1547742494785.jpg (350x321, 19K)

zen+ only came on a roadmap 4-5 months after the launch

Me and my silicon bringing a revolution in computing to all of you gamers out there on that pic.

>there wasnt a zen+ too in the start but amd created it
Zen+ is basically the bugfig version. Original chip was supposed to ship with 12 cycle L2 access but ended up with 17 cycle as a workaround for some deeper bug or other. 1st gen Threadripper and Epyc got the 2nd spin with the 12 cycle cache, but desktops were stuck at 17 until the 2000 series.

The original Zen was delayed enough that it was almost a given that there would be a fixup edition. Zen 2 will have issues too being such a dramatic change again in design, but the lack of an announced Zen 2+ at least hints that AMD is more confident this time around.

APUs for Apus

Attached: The-Simpsons-Apu-750x450.jpg (750x450, 27K)

>but the lack of an announced Zen 2+ at least hints that AMD is more confident this time around.
Or they are simply yet to find a problem requiring a bugfix given how much time is left until the release.

The deal is more like Zen 1 was running increasingly late, and the board/execs said "just fucking ship it", so a respin being needed was all but guaranteed.
Zen 2 is not as architecturally aggressive an improvement over Zen 1 as Zen was over Bulldozer, so it's not liable to slip as much given a 2-year release cadence.

Biggest risk would have been TSMC shitting the bed, but that seems to not be the case by all accounts.

Pinnacle Ridge existed on roadmaps since before Summit Ridge shipped.
Zen3 is next.

They do though. Its called the Hades Canyon NUC and is as small as a gaming PC can get really.

lol roblox and battlefield

>Biggest risk would have been TSMC shitting the bed, but that seems to not be the case by all accounts.
That's a bold statement given the very recent material contamination they had which forced them to scrap shitloads of wafer. Shit like that may happen again.

That barely impacted their overall wafer output.
You know how actually big TSMC is?

>That barely impacted their overall wafer output.
>You know how actually big TSMC is?

this, also, shitting the bed for TSMC is to be measured by Intel 10nm rollout standards.