Ambient occlusion only showed up mainstream in 2013ish

I remember when Ambient occlusion became common it lowered FPS by as much as Raytracing does I remember turning it off for afue years. now its considered just a standard part of high/ultra and even medium and no big deal and just a given.

if you turn it off ya FPS literally goes up by 30-40% yet no one complains about it

yet every one complains about raytracing.

Ambient occlusion honestly adds less to a scene than raytracing.

I can get the hate for only 1 card having it but its just been 6months in 12months time every graphics card will have raytracing.

time to stop bitching about it imo. if you want to play a game at 200+ fps you play on low any way.

Attached: th.jpg (110x110, 3K)

Gaytracing its complete trash, fuck off

Ray traced global illumination in Metro Exodus will replace AO.

>Ambient occlusion honestly adds less to a scene than raytracing.
Ambient occlusion shadows the entire scene
Current raytracing implementations provide slightly better reflections
there's no comparsion
Hardware isn't good enough to do fully raytraced games yet

its not in the entire game its in one sneaking map thru a old town the game doesn't even have raytraced reflections.

you kids think metro is some amazing game did you even play metro 1/2 they are shorter than even a call of duty campain you will literally finish metro exodus in 1 night.

ambient occlusion isn't shadows its dark patches in edges. if you paint Warhammer its the same as washing over a model with thinned out paint and letting it dry dark in the edges its not shadows its basically a grime/dust effect.

Is that about shadows, I turn them off every time, they are never wroth it.

>dark patches in edges
aka shadows
just simulated ambient shadowing and not direct shadowing

or ya "trapped areas void of light"

its not a realistic shadowing effect thou effectively it just makes concave edge joins look like they are full of dust

and has a massive performance overhead for what it does.

I would rather turn AO off and turn raytracing on any day and AO drops fps more than raytracing does already.

shadows never stopped being the largest processor sink in 3d rendering and they never will stop
larger computational techniques will show up every decade or so to slap more and more workload on shadowing a scene, while models and textures only take so much, and can be easily optimized even by retards thanks to the ABSOLUTELY ENORMOUS amount of literature left by people that have been wrestling with tris for 30+ years
God I wish we just stopped adding hard shadows everywhere

It is shadows, contact shading specifically. It's somewhat unsightly in a lot of instances as it usually bears noise for some reason that's currently beyond my scope of understanding, at least when implemented in games.

Attached: aodemo.jpg (1482x958, 142K)

this is true. currently, real-time raytracing is only practical for highly reflective surfaces such as water and mirrors. doing diffusion with raytracing requires many more rays per pixel.

Attached: 58774_P022a.png (511x623, 37K)

thats why I said simulated

>larger computational techniques will show up every decade or so to slap more and more workload on shadowing a scene
not anymore, if hardware continues to improve we'll just start using raycasting

it has noise because SSAO is implemented via small raycasts around an area, and you can't afford to do million raycasts to produce a smooth result so you do a random sample and then blur it

Yes, I played both. They're great games. If you want to play CoD, play CoD.

How do you know ray tracing will only be in one level in Exodus?

No game uses ray-tracing for everything yet.

SJW 5 uses it for reflections. Shadow of the Tomb raider, if it ever gets implemented, uses it for shadows. Metro Exodus uses is for global illumination (what AO is a hack for).

go away, consumer moron

and after that people will just find new and interesting ways to make it look better while turning it from O n^3 to O n!

metro is literally cod you retard 5guys that where porting clearskys to console gave up and left GSC and started metro because they wanted cod money.

if you larp the games are deep and amazing you are a retard they are short boom boom games in a tunnel exodus is not open world

not exactly
raycasting is like the final destination for graphics
it's not like raster graphics which is a huge mess of clever hacks

It is way not
raycasting is just an intermediary, as people will eventually find out it doesn't work that well by itself and requires some additional post that will make you faint thinking about how fucking computationally inefficient we're going. just think about subpixel scattering and long distance subpixel blur, or the fisheye effect you'll encounter once you try and fix those in an efficient way

Attached: 1548612634326.png (645x773, 11K)

raycasting is how light works in real life you fucking dumbass
it's simple, inefficient, and realistic, it's definitely not going to be the end of graphics tech but it's going to be alot different than the raster era

>huge mess of clever hacks
raster graphics are based on actual light physics, but instead of simulating behavior of individual photons it simulates statistical behavior of light. that's why it's so much more efficient than ray tracing. you really don't care about individual photons, but about the effects that emerge from their interactions.
shadowing, occlusions, reflections and global illumination naturally emerge from light physics. in the case of raster graphics you have to come up with a mathematical formulations for them (derived from light physics) and implement them yourself.

raster graphics is drawing triangles ontop of each other with depth buffers and remapping projected textures for shadows, that's not "realistic", the way you apply light to a pixel might be realistic but that's not what raster rendering means

>No game uses ray-tracing for everything yet.
What about Quake 2 ray tracing?

>now its considered just a standard part of high/ultra and even medium and no big deal and just a given.
Dumbo, literally everyone turns it off. Stop pretending you have any friends or that you play games.

raycasting is an approximation of how light works in real life, with extreme limitations and terrible, terrible problems that need to be addressed if you want your shit to look half as good as it does on raster graphics currently

It's an approximation so close that it can produce images indistingishable from real life, watch any movie, the only way to tell if something is CG these days is by the way it moves
The only problem that needs to be addressed is hardware power

>I remember when Ambient occlusion became common it lowered FPS by as much as Raytracing does
Nope. When raytracing came out it cut fps to ~1/3rd. 150fps --> 59fps

>if you turn it off ya FPS literally goes up by 30-40%
Not in modern games, it made pretty much no difference in bf5.

>Ambient occlusion honestly adds less to a scene than raytracing.
You didn't define raytracing. It can be reflections only, which is a very minor, barely noticable effect.

>I can get the hate for only 1 card having it but its just been 6months in 12months time every graphics card will have raytracing.
No, amd still wont have it and this matters because we need competition to get better prices. And still anything bellow 2080 it too slow to do RTX (except downscaling)

RTX is trash because there's no games for it, it's expensive, it does almost nothing. People legit thought we had real time reflections already because the tricks to imitate them are good enough and no one care about reflections.

Looks like shit

>it can produce images indistingishable from real life
you've never seen raycasting done in a dynamic environment
boy, you're in for a fucking surprise

the point of computer graphics is not to simulate reality, but to approximate it well enough that we don't notice the difference, and depth buffering does a good job most of the time.

the real problems with depth buffering are volumetric rendering and order-independent transparency.

>you've never seen raycasting done in a dynamic environment
what the fuck does that mean? If you mean real-time as in video games, yes, that's why I said hardware power needs to improve. It might be there in 5-10 years
If you're trying to imply raycasted renders look bad under some specific circumstance you're an idiot

compared to ray casting, current rastering is a huge hack.

That's just a mod to an existing game... but it does do everything although the limit with that game is that there isn't much in the way of material data since the game is so old.

And it's the material properties that set the amount of diffusion and reflection, and the more/ complex that is, the more computationally intense the game is.

What the fuck are you talking about?

Ambient occlusion adds more. It makes the entire scene much more realistic.
Raytracing just fucks your FPS up for reflection effects you don't even notice unless you specifically look for them.