/pmp/ - Portable Media Players General

/pmp/ - Long Time No See Edition

This thread is for the discussion portable mp3/FLAC/OGG Vorbis players.
>inb4 phone
>inb4 spotify
Useful Guide(s)
• The General /pmp/ Guide spit.mixtape.moe/view/fefcb363
• Converting an iPod video 5G/5.5G to a rockboxed player with an msata SSD and a 3000 mAh battery nullvoid.station.moe/Freedom-Hardware/Video5G-Rockbox/
• Third party battery guide
iflash.xyz/3rd-party-extended-battery-guide/Guide for iPod 6G/7G needs adding/making
• Reminder to use Rockbox DEV builds when available.
• Use the SonyNWDestTool to remove the volume limiter/warnings on most of the Walkman series
rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool

• Archived Threads : rbt.asia/g/search/subject/pmp/

Attached: A6F7CA63-6CE9-48B4-BBFB-3A3EFDA31711.jpg (917x773, 214K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nullvoid.station.moe/Freedom-Hardware/Video5G-Rockbox/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Just use your phone lol

I wanna buy the NW-A5 Kingdom hearts Edition.
Do I go for it at $280?

Attached: NW-A55_KH3.jpg (750x450, 68K)

Do you have the budget to pay for it?

no u

Attached: 1538460630397.png (400x1650, 367K)

I'm currently using my er4s with my huawei mate 10 and this ways is better than using it with my old nwz a15. Jds labs c5 changes the whole situation tho. Would anyone rec me the hiby r6? I want to buy it bc of the iso playback and streaming services.
Buy it if you have the budget. Whats ur iem tho?

Attached: IMG_20190209_224034.jpg (2976x3968, 2.85M)

these chink batteries for the ipod videos seem to be backwards, so I had to cut the tape and rebend the cable so it fit properly. Like what the hell.

Does anyone know where to get a hold switch/audio ribbon cable for an iPod like the one in the OP pic? I accidentally broke mine while trying to open it to change its hard drive.

>ishit chinktrash
lmao

do they make a straight edition?

That's a 4th gen iPod, right? You can get it on eBay for

see

>• Converting an iPod video 5G/5.5G to a rockboxed player with an msata SSD and a 3000 mAh battery nullvoid.station.moe/Freedom-Hardware/Video5G-Rockbox/
Just me, or is this link dead?

Read the OP, faggot

I just use my phone + Spotify lol!

If i have an ipod 5g video i bought new and kept in really good condition and works perfectly what price should i list it on ebay for ? i want to give some zoomer his memepod but i aint given it away....

there's so many detailed guides to do it though its not much of a loss.

True.

I'm just brainlet that was given a 7th gen ipod classic as a gift a while back and I'm interested in putting a different firmware on it in hopes of not having to use a full program to "manage" it, and can instead just drop the files+playlists in a folder.

I can't find information on that model specifically and RockboxUtility doesn't seem to support it. I just can't figure out if I'm too dumb to find that information or if nobody bothered making an alternate firmware that supports it.

Rockbox doesnt Officially support it but i *think* it can be done either way. I've only got the ipod video and i use the drag n drop as well. I used to use MusicBee to sync stuff anyways, but with 11k songs its just easier to drag n drop. I hope you find a way to get it on there though!

is there anything like £50 or less (used is fine) that would be worth using instead of my phone

cheap dac rec?

Budget?
You can get a Fiio X3III for like $130 and it can function as a USB DAC.

what is this gay ass general? just use your phone

Did you notice how all the phone companies are being retarded and removing headphone jacks?

they want you to use bluetooth lel

>welcome to /twg/, typewriter general!!!
why don’t you you just use a fucking keyboard?
>read the OP we don’t talk about keyboards here, only typewriters!!!!!!!
Jesus fucking christ mate I hope your having a laugh and not actually promoting some gay MP3 player general

>being this retarded

I did notice that, pure faggotry. Who wants to charge their fucking headphones!? Like what the hell nobody asked for this shit

>pay extra for some shitty dongle or get usb-c headphones
ill just use my mp3 player thanks

So just to set the record straight, you’re seriously advocating that people carry both a smartphone AND a fucking MP3 player?

>2014+5
>listening to lossy compression

no thx

What are the current solutions for HiFi listening?

Or you could buy a phone with a 3.5mm jack like a rational indivudual

I have one, but why waste battery on my phone with music and also the space?

No. I think people should only carry a DAP.

Tidal HiFi for streaming is the most convenient.

Otherwise DSD or FLAC files from your DAP du jour, still need good IEMs or headphones.

I'm sure most of these DAPs aren't strong enough for good headphones, what are the current solutions for amps to accompany a DAC

Honestly though.
I tried the whole dongle dance for a while, but it got old fast.
I was always shuffling the dongle around my different sets of headphones and my car's aux cable, and if you forget the damned dongle you can't do shit.
Not to mention the number of times I was going to share some tunes with my friends, but I had forgotten the dongle.

You don't have to carry them both with you all the time, I certainly don't.
But having a dedicated DAP can be super convenient.

My Fiio X3 can drive my 80Ω headphones pretty easily, to the point that full volume is unbearably loud.

That are portable? nano IDSD Black Label, xDSD, Chord Mojo... definitely a few I'm forgetting.

It’s 2019 sweetie do you know how many songs you can fit on a modern smartphone are you really worried about space? Let’s say you have a meager 32GB to work with. That’s about 7,000 songs. At 5min/song thats over 24 days worth of music. You literally only have to load songs on once a month if you listen 24/7

Like seriously it’s ok, we know you’re autistic. Just make a thread that says “I have autism”, you’ll probably get a better response

>128kbps
Those sorts of stats usually use meager encoding. 320kbps is the way to go, and if youre really saving space 192kbps.

>listening to MP3s

disgust

Ok then assume 1/2 the capacity or whatever minimum quality your autism will allow. You’re still only having to load songs every 2 weeks or so assuming you dong sleep and listen 24/7. Is this really necessary? Like honestly what the fuck do you gain by carrying around some special snowflake device instead of just using your phone like a normalfag?

your right i should switch to OGG files
not wasting battery on my phone.

Longer battery life on your phone, longer play back time on the DAP, better Digital-to-Analog Conversion, cleaner signal amplification...

>Not loading your entire music library onto your music player.
Who wants to keep managing the files on your phone every week?
I'm all about the convenience of loading everything I have onto it, that way I always have what I want to listen to, and I only have to manage the songs on it when I have something new to add.

You’d be better off carrying a spare battery to charge your phone then a redundant device just to play fucking audio. Hell, carry a second phone if you’d like even that would make more sense

At that point you're carrying just as much crap anyways, so why not actually have something dedicated to playing audio?

>carry a second phone
right and I'm the autist.

You already have that thing, it’s called a phone. The only reality where a dedicated audio player makes sense is one where you’re not ALREADY carrrying a phone

>I’d prefer the second, totally unnecessary device I’m carrying to have very limited functionality compared to my other device
Jesus you’re actually retarded

Right, ignoring the fact that most DAPs have better quality DACs in them, can drive higher impedance loads, and have support for a good deal more file formats than most phones.

With so many phones dropping the headphone jack, DAPs look more attractive now.

Face the facts my friend. iPods and dedicated audio players are dead. As in not a thing anymore. They’re now a single feature of more robust and ubiquitous device, the modern phone. Have some self respect and kindly delete this thread and don’t shit up our board with shit in the future.

You do realize that DAP's popularity is actually trending upwards recently, right?
Loads of new, great DAPs got released last year.

Sup

Attached: 20181202_121331.jpg (5312x2988, 3.52M)

>You do realize that butt plug popularity is actually trending upwards recently, right? Loads of new, great anal plugs got released last year.
Wow very impressive, unlike you I do not require such an item

I want to upgrade my 4s to xr. Does it worth it?

I have ER4SR, not XR
But they are flawless, there's still some genres I enjoy more on speakers but such is life

'07 Cowon D2 reporting in.

"it's just werks!"

Attached: IMG_20190210_152726.jpg (3968x2976, 1.96M)

Clip+ still strong after 6 years

Still going with my Insignia models.
Anything else still left out there with a real physical wheel? Mine are starting to get a little flaky after years of use.

Attached: insignia-pilot-media-player.jpg (500x377, 48K)