Why dont computer look like this anymore?

why dont computer look like this anymore?

Attached: mwm-jmrutt.jpg (1280x1024, 249K)

Other urls found in this thread:

motif.ics.com/
fvwm.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Javascript, Electron, and "flat" and "material" design.

Because they already looked like that. Change good. Diversity in context menus good.

Is this Motif Window Manager?

Funny enough, I just watched a video of a FreeBSD 12 review and the video creator actually still uses MWM.

Netscape was extremely comfortable, though.

You can have an experience that resembles this using trinity desktop, which is a classic looking desktop environment based on old kde version

CDE has been libre since 2012, install it and pretend you've gone back in time

Because “illusion of progress”

It’s like spray painting a car ALL chrome and calling it futuristic. The pressure for progress is strong in digital goods and people are too stupid to realize a stupid idea when they see one when it comes to digital goods. Its also what makes good software because shitty bloatware.

post a link, sounds comfy

this.
people discarded passionated designs that take hours to make and replace with literally 5 minutes paintcrafts.

You can get any modern, up-to-date Linux distro to look exactly like that and head on over to Debian.org for a website that still looks like that as well.

motif.ics.com/
Also including FVWM. It's good.
fvwm.org/

MWM has some issues with full screen windows but other than that it’s still very usable. Configuring your wm with xresources is pretty neat

came here to post this
/thread

no i mean to the review

I just miss the days when computer graphic designers were actually trying to make computer interfaces look "like computers" if that makes sense.

I mean, I think there's a very real aesthetic there which most people _mistakenly_ call "nostalgia" or "retro". I think anyone looking at those kind of graphics immediately gets a "computery vibe".
Problem is, I also think most people don't like that vibe for some reason. Most people seem to not want their computer to look like a computer, and most modern graphic design is all about trying to make your computer _not_ look like a computer.
Sad.

hello sir i notice you are new to english this thing is called internet web browser not computer please do the needful and learn better english so you can get h1b visa

Normies and Flatmeme

Jow Forums gone /ic/, here.
Ignoring the speculations: /gd/ and /ux/ guys mostly are graphics and art oriented mostly, not IT system users or devs or admins. They design what would look nice to them not what is practical for the specific application - gui. Majority of current gd for video games are people who learned how to make movies not vgs and mostly never played the games themselves in their childhood.

Here, you got a real answer, not memes.

Well, full screen is indeed kinda broken. This made me abandon it, though I always liked the simplicity of wm like twm and mwm. I think FVWM is the next best choice if you dig the aesthetic of motif but I found it too much of a hassle to set up properly.

You are free to install fvwm and w3m anytime.

>OLD GOOD NEW BAD

Attached: 1536526859369.jpg (220x229, 4K)

>I like flatshit that makes my computer look like a thundernormalfag because it's popular

Because you use a modern theme. You can achieve this in 20 minutes

But it does? MWM is still a standard component of the Motif package on every major distro and works fine if you don't need virtual desktops.

>I purposefully avoid useful tools because they're too mainstream for me and I have no other way of defining myself as a person if I don't treat my computer as a fashion accessory
This isn't even the definition of a hipster, it's far more pathetic and insecure.

Yes, the truly anti-NPC position is what massive corporations and the masses prefer.

So you can't use folders and icons without being flatshit? This is how stupid you sound, read better next time fuckwit, there's nothing flat that can't be done with non-flat.

because we dont still live in caves and eat kangaroo meat.

because motif looks like shit, you'd get tired of it in 20min

You just aren't ricing hard enough.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-02-09_15-17-33.png (1600x1200, 125K)

What makes you think you communicated any of that in your dumb knee-jerk of a post that was literally just you saying that flatshit is bad because it's popular? You can try to weasel out of it however you want, but both your posts are still showing you're just a stupid hipster looking for a fashion accessory rather than something genuinely functional.

Go buy a Mac and fuck off.

t. hipster who did nothing but install MaXX on an old shitbox in his closet

the window buttons give it away. should've had top shading too

Seethe harder, retard.

Are you talking about the dithering on the original 4Dwm decorations? That only looked good on CRTs.

but that's literally all you did lol, why are you trying to pretend you know how to rice?

Flat design is AIDS and doesn't communicate anything. Thanks a lot, iOS7.

Attached: 1478843129915.jpg (502x1024, 47K)

For me I view it as the opposite for icons at least. Like take Netscape's logo. It is a ship's wheel and implies the phrase, "surf the web." While Crome and Firefox's logos are just abstract and have nothing to do with the internet. Also Apple's photos is the one that pisses me off the most. It used to be a nifty picture and now I don't even know what the hell it is supposed to be and it is very difficult to find the app when I borrow someone's phone.

Generally, yes.

>1600x1200

Attached: hateg_azhdarchids.png (644x509, 252K)

Agreed.
But I use i3, and every time I mention this other i3 users call me a faggot because I want a non-flat i3. Or any non-flat tiling window manager really.
They're all flat. Almost makes me want to go back to openbox.

>hurr you don't know how to rice!
Ricing is customization. It's not stock MaXX and you're a fucking idiot. Do a flip, faggot

yeah it's a fake hinv script, MaXX with maybe minor customization, a non-original wallpaper with an SGI logo on it to make sure we absolutely know its le cool retro throwback and a bunch of random icons dragged on the workspace to make it look like you actually do something other than just post screenshots of it in random threads when nobody asks for it

your gay nigger

So I just did a google search on this and find tons of articles with actual statistics showing that flat UI's are less efficient, users browse them as much as 22% slower, which is very significant. And they often completely miss clickable elements altogether.

I always fucking knew it too. I'm pretty sure anyone who used computers regularly before the flat design craze has known this intuitively all along. Flat UI's are garbage, and I can never find anything on them.

That's more attributable to low information density and poor layout which have more to do with the tons of shitty new developers flooding the market than whether or not the buttons have pseudo-3D textures or tacky gradients on them.

Flat beats the shit out of Apple wannabe skeuomorphism, but retards making single paragraphs take up an entire screen need to fucking die.

I perfectly agree. Flat/Minimal UI is a joke and don't let me talk about the fact that is so fucking BORING.

The funny thing is we're getting more and more minimal in appearance but WAY more bloated in actual resource usage.
How do you justify that? Does flatshit design just make most people somehow oblivious to the bloat? Maybe one day when our design can't get any more minimal in appearance people will finally start to actually slim things down?

And yes, I cannot fucking agree more about it being boring. Every modern website looks the same to me, and I think part of why it's slower to navigate is because my eyes just gloss over. There's nothing to grab your attention, everything tries hard to just blend in with everything else, it's really annoying actually.

Because 300dpi monitors. Those 1 pixel borders that make things look embossed in windows 95 and ops pic don't scale very well so they made everything flat.

>vertical resolution higher than 1080
t.pic related

Attached: nigger.gif (463x698, 204K)

Try icewm.

>what is money

Posts like these convince me every time that Jow Forums is full of autists that can't cope with change

>Sorry, but your lungs have become cancerous.
>#EmbraceChange

I dunno about 4dwm but mwm doesn't look like that even on lcd displays, it uses shading all around

I was praising it you plonker

Do tell us all how you changing the colors on your i3 reddit shit makes you so much better than me. Keep embarrassing yourself on a mongolian basket weaving bulletin board, faggot. I'm going to keep posting my MaXX screenshots until you kill yourself. Stay mad

Yeah, on IRIX the dithering is done by the window manager by default and it isn't dependent on monitor type. It was done because it looks better on CRTs, which is what SGI used before LCD technology really took off. The dithering was just never removed even after SGI started selling LCD displays for their workstations. I guess it's personal preference but I'm not going to include that in my setup.

Same reason we don't explore space anymore.

Attached: computer-users-2019-colorized.jpg (852x480, 50K)

what is fvwm and twm

i wish twm had proper fullscreen support though, i'd use it if someone implemented just that

They ca if you want to, except for the browser of course, fuck the (((modern))) web

How!?

Modern computers are flat, black boxes. Stylizing the GUI to resemble that in the same way earlier OSes had components that resembled the beige boxes they operated in would result in something less than pretty on the eyes.

I'm not talking about dithering. I'm talking about the buttons in the window decorations. They look different in the original motif window manager without any kind of dithering, they have the 3d shading border all around them, not just at the bottom. Did they change it from mwm to 4dwm or is that just a mistake on MaXX?

iOS 7 is infinitely better looking than iOS 6. Skeumorphism is garbage and needs to stay dead.

And before you ask, yes, Windows 8.1 looks better than Windows 7.

that's because when you grew up computers were only capable of low res, low color depth graphics, so that's what you associate with computers.
when zoomers think what a computer interface looks like they probably think of fortnite, youtube or windows 10

There's nothing stopping you user.

Attached: 1543724608560.png (1920x1080, 591K)

>I just miss the days when computer graphic designers were actually trying to make computer interfaces look "like computers" if that makes sense.
MacOS and iOS both do this. Microsoft has started doing this as well.

>1920x1088
>smoothly shaded icons
>crystal clear antialiased vector graphics wallpaper with no visible JPEG artifacts
but user that doesn't look like OP's picture

It's the same software just for modern hardware. You can even use CDE, which is literally the same shit some Unix OSes used back in the day.

Attached: 1538050920632.png (1013x765, 48K)

with a lot of ricing, maybe, but it'll take a lot of work because of things like application icons, unless you're using CDE with solaris which would make it look like that out of the box
Is that on Linux? I've never seen a Linux desktop with CDE that looked right
and modern web pages will look out of place

Because this is 2019, not fucking 1993.

Largely because it's ugly.

I'd be a ricer if I could into tech

Attached: ecco.jpg (2224x2224, 337K)

Because that looks like shit.

Attached: eye.jpg (852x480, 26K)

modern computers are capable of using more colors and more pixels to draw smooth gradients

Attached: 1545977944061.png (1440x900, 1.39M)

Microsoft's "Metro" design started all this flat shit

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.png (750x391, 213K)

Ah, I see. Those pixmaps on the buttons are supposed to be like that. Here's an actual IRIX screenshot for reference. MaXX is a partial fork of 4Dwm, which itself was a fork of MWM. The MWM buttons are exactly the same and do the same stuff, except for the images on them. The MaXX desktop is 100% Motif compatible, and even offers the SGI enhanced widgets (thumbwheels and stuff).

It's 1999 in my mind, you nigglet.

Attached: irix53.png (1280x1024, 16K)