Productivity

What is the best operating system from a productivity point of view?
Which environment helps you get more things done, and faster?
I'm speaking about general computing, from office applications to programming, say for example I'm a student, what os should I use in order to access information, do text editing, and programming in thr most productive way?

Attached: images.jpg (739x415, 44K)

Ubuntu or Fedora

Manjaro with i3 has been the best setup. 2 monitors and no BS

Any OS that offers the software you want to use.

OS X
There's a reason it's the most popular OS for developers

Debian.
- Debian is obviously the most stable distribution out there, no time lost repairing your OS when dev are stupid.
- most packages have a good out of the box configuration, printing for instance is really easy, it's just one package install compared to Arch.
- Easy to install
- Many packages compared to other distro.
- You can setup automatic updates (it will not forces you to reboot like Windows 10 of course).
- Long support

For the GUI you can use whatever you want but a tilling window manager will give you more productivity if you take some time to learn and tweak it (though some tilling window manager like i3 have very good out of the box configuration)

This. And it'll be by far the most productive if it runs the software without you interacting with it except for programming updates to the software.

I use rhel with i3, three vertical monitors at work. Software developer.

I've scripted my environment, most of the stuff I do is through term otherwise I'm in vscode.

macos

xubuntu
/thread

KDE/Ubuntu. So I just end up using Kubuntu.

This is after lots of DE-hopping. For the last year basically I've been settled in it. There's not contest.

Pop!_OS

shit works oob, no need to waste time configuring.

Mint is another suggestion though i've never used it.

if you heave time to ponder these questions you’re not interested in productivity

it will be Windows XP or Win7

not sure which has higher number of quality graphics, music, etc production softwares + also spreadsheets, CAD, CAM and word process

I second this

Install gentoo

Attached: NPC.jpg (490x586, 19K)

BioLinux

Imho, your DE has more impact on your productivity than your operating system. Your workflow and the way you do things also has an impact so it's a really subjective matter however i've found that in my personal experience (and of those around me) KDE-like interface or Windows-like interface is usually more productive.
>I'm a student, what os should I use in order to access information, do text editing, and programming in thr most productive way?
Anyone of them, just pick a DE you're comfortable and make sure your system can run the tools you need for your work.
Fedora is solid and so is Windows.

Attached: 1541123929460.jpg (655x527, 59K)

pop is nice.
used mint, ubuntu etc.
they all use 2gb-2.5 gb ram out of the box.
pop is sitting at 1.4gb.
comes with nvidia drivers that actually work lol

This. I use i3 at work and at home and i have a script to limit 2 window side by side per workspace. I dont often have to manage windows or think about it at all. I can instead only focus on the software I use. Although this setup doesn't work if you are a total normie, but it's more productive

How the fuck were you using that much RAM oob?

Attached: screen.png (1600x900, 270K)

linux

that's a fuckton even with a DE

Debian+dwm

anything with a tiling WM

A new OS/DE/WM won’t fix your procrastination issues OP, it will only waste more time

Lol my Arch+KDE setup uses under 700MB after boot

Listen to If you actually want to become a productive programmer, you need to actually get shit finished.
You only really know where/how to change your workflow after you've used it for hundreds of hours.

sitting at 1G Ram in void with music playing and several firefox tabs and xbps downloading some audio packages.

What will I do with the other 15 gigs then

7*, but yeah, dunno. why tf do I even have a swap partition.

bump

>What is the best operating system from a productivity point of view?
>Which environment helps you get more things done, and faster?
Arch Linux with i3gaps WM

Attached: iusearchbtw.jpg (480x360, 19K)

no idea.

Ubuntu i3

this is idle

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-02-10 03-02-40.png (814x556, 86K)

running firefox its up to 2gb.
that i can't explain

This. Along with GNOME, just install and start doing your work without needing to configure a bunch of bullshit.

The script please!

Well with such a broad question it would be obviously windows just because of a great software selection.
But really "the most productive" is OS that allows you to launch software you need without any problems.

Android.

Attached: Screenshot_20190210-024101_Firefox.jpg (1439x1037, 698K)

From top to bottom: Emacs -> any UNIX-like OS -> ZFS.

gnome has a memory leak....
according to googles

Depends what you want to do.

for general productivity
>Linux is unbeatable, as long as you don't require windows only software and have the time to learn it (NEVER USE A SMALL OBSCURE DISTRO, YOU'RE WASTING YOUR TIME: use Kubuntu or Fedora KDE spin)
>the reason being, that you can customize basically everything to improve your workflow if needed
for software development
>Linux is unbeatable in this category
>apt install my-language-compiler my-dependency-dev and start working
>Windows and OS X are shit tier in comparison, this is coming from someone who worked professionaly as a software developer on windows
office
>Windows because every faggy company uses microsoft office instead of open standards
>if you only need to send PDF's and not the actual document files, then libeoffice got you covered
2d graphics
>Windows has the best professional software available
>GIMP has been steadily improved over the years but still isn't there yet. I use it for editing my games textures and it's good enough for me.
3d graphics
>if you aren't using blender in [current_year], then you're doing it wrong
>doesn't really matter which OS you use as Blender has surpassed 3ds max at this point
>I use it to create my game models and once you "get" the interface you become _really_ fast at making good models.
sound
>windows
>2nd place is Linux (depends on what you do, I use audacity to cut and edit sound files and have heard good things about ardour)
video
>after affects is best in slot and only available on windows
>blender is good, but not as good as after affects
>kdenlive can be adequate for your needs
gaming
>1st place is Windows
>2nd place is Linux

conclusion:
if you need someting specialized and tailored to your needs but don't *need* professional software -> Linux
if you need something that has all the professional tools available -> Windows
if you are retarded, because windows does practically everything better -> OS X

Openthatsusi

Being behind Windows on Updates
>nigger

MS DOS.

macos because you don't have to worry about x breaking while still running unix

If you want stable — Ubuntu. If you want latest versions of software — Fedora. PopOS is also pretty nice. Arguably best looking GNOME out of box.

This is the 100% non-meme answer. Everyone else is smearing their snowflake bullshit all over to make themselves feel superior.

If you want to have a PC be entirely offline, then XP; if you want to be online, then Win 7.

Just get Win 10 and install the cli tools.
Like this you get the best of both worlds without headache.

Ubuntu minimal
You don't need a desktop ennvironment, you just need a window manager. Both i3, FVWM and Openbox are excellent tools for productivity in general.
>what os should I use in order to access information
It doesn't make a difference, every GNU distibution works.
>do text editing, and programming in thr most productive way?
Nano or vim, either way don't use GUI text editors.

Fair assessment, though i'd expand that "software development" falls into 3 categories, UNIX style & platforms, windows-style (visual studio is unbeatable for what its good at), and apple style (completely walled garden). I'd pick windows for some software development, linux for others. In fact i use both side by side because i wouldn't give up visual studio for C++, and fuck using scheme or haskell on windows. Web dev i find just as easy on either.

Ever since I started using tiling wm's for 7 years ago, I feel horribly unproductive with anything else. (bspwm user for the past 3 years)

Because of this, I can't use anything other than Linux or BSD. I tried MacOSX for 8 months last year; Amethyst (xmonad inspired) is decent and chunkwm (bspwm inspired) is even better, but they're slow, buggy and rough around the edges (when interacting with the rest of the MacOSX UI) when compared to tiling wm's for Wayland/Xorg, that I couldn't attain the workflow I wanted.

I could of course go the Xorg on MacOSX route, but I'm used to OSX getting really broken when you tinker with it too much, so I thought this would be completely silly in comparison to just using Linux or BSD.

With Windows I did try to create a pseudo-tiling environment with Actual Window Manager a long time ago. It was better than without it, but nowhere close to anything mentioned above.

So since I'm stuck in Linux/BSD land, I try to go for the least annoying option. FreeBSD was my preferred choice for many years, but at some point more and more tools I need for work (LanguageClient/LSP, Electron) forced me to run Linux binaries, so switching to Linux would just make these things easier.

Now I've been using Void Linux for the past 1.5 years and I'm pretty content with it. The main reason I chose it is I wanted something simple and lightweight, and which gave me control over the complicated stuff, while handling the mundane stuff for me. I at least felt that Void Linux and FreeBSD align in regards to that philosophy. XBPS can be rough sometimes when dependency issues creep in, but you can fix those issues with a few commands. The rolling release works fine, and the end result is just an OS that gets out of my way and let's me use a computer how I prefer to use one.

I generally use Arch or Kubuntu depending on the task.

> Ctrl + F
> No "Plasma"
Not surprised. I use it though. I make media for a living, and I feel inspired by my desktop looking "just-so." Everyone's opinions are just that.
Use whatever makes you want to get work done, without getting in the way of you doing work. The answer is different for everyone.

>productivity
>2 panel

Attached: 1535694618514.png (374x376, 221K)

Those OP.

I'm a software dev, so what will follow is very specific to programming.

Honestly, I work with :

- i3 as DE. The OS almost doesn't matter as long as it's Debian-based, Buntu for example, I personnaly use Xubuntu. The other anons are right, unless you are working on a Windows or Mac OS technology (C#, Dotnet, Swift), Linux is way ahead for every other programming language.

Literally apt-get everything you need, that's all.

- Learn the shortcuts for i3 first. You'll already feel way more productive in a matter of weeks.

- Then, get comfortable with the CLI. Few weeks later, install tmux and wait few more weeks for the shortcuts to go in your memory muscle. You'll feel another productivity boost.

- Then, learn about how to automate your workflow. Here are my main tools :

* fzf

* tmuxinator (very handy once you master tmux. You switch and open projects in literally one command)

* bash aliases

* docker and docker-compose. Extremely useful to create static images of your tools. One of the game changer of the decade in it, run huge project in one command with it.

* vim. Honestly, best investment I've made in years. It will feel painful at first, but practice it like you would practice a musical instrument and text editing will become a second nature for you. Use plugins for templates and snippets.

Finally, most importantly, read articles and learn how to combine all those tools above, find more of them, and all their tips and hacks.

Be mindful about EVERY CHARACTER you type, and try to find a way to type less for every action.

You'll probably never go back, and you'll feel like Windows and Mac OS are toys when you need to use them.

And all your colleagues (if you have some) will literally be in awe in front of your workflow.

And remember, this whole process just requires patience and determination.

Attached: 1548546575698.jpg (527x416, 64K)

wew

Raspbian OS with decently sized SD card,
you literally can't play normal games and watching
video in browser sucks above 480p.

That all combined forces you into just programming and doing your tasks.

Attached: elsword_hq_render_of_ara_haan_as_little_devil_by_oneexisting-d6i3gt4.png (900x830, 340K)