Tried to switch years ago

Tried to switch years ago.
It's actually pretty impressive how usable Linux is, but so much of it is unintuitive to someone who's used Windows for literally their entire life. I still have no idea how to find the directory where a program's executable is, and yeah I know there's no .exe but you get what I mean.
Downloading programs is also a huge fuckin thing. Either you use something like the Ubuntu software center thing and get outdated versions of software, or you find some fuck's SourceForge or GitHub page and have to compile the fuckin thing yourself. Or you could copy and paste a single command, easy enough, if the fucker provides it, and good luck having a single salty clue what the fuck any of the syntax on that shit means.
And god forbid you actually talk about these difficulties online. Inevitably some dude's gonna try some weak-ass
>huhuhuh he couldn't paste commands, brainlet you barely even have to use the terminal stupid winigger
bait because people who have years of experience with Linux or other Unix-type shit think they're cool for being in their secret club.
And video games and the Adobe suite didn't work, and the latter hardly worked in WINE so don't give me shit about that. And no, GIMP or Inkscape are not replacements for their Adobe equivalents, and there's no good video editor on Linux save for like Davinci Resolve, and even that isn't as good as Premiere or Vegas.
Speaking of, OSS is just worse than their closed source commercial equivalents. It's not surprising or anything, it just is. I personally don't give a care about 'muh free as in freedom' commie 'i should be allowed to modify software I purchased any way I like and freely share it, man' bullshit when it means that the actual software on offer is immature and generally terrible.
I know Steam released some new WINE alternative but wake me up when Linux GPU drivers aren't a nightmare and when that WINE alternative is as good as using Windows. And when Adobe CC works on it flawlessly.

Attached: 1549565739086.png (265x314, 12K)

>unintuitive to someone who's used Windows
KDE plasma is the solution.

You can run rolling release if you want to use the very latest. Ubuntu's rolling is currently 18.10

Adobe put out a statement asking the community about a linux port to which the answer was 10x the votes of any other posted issue.
They're 'looking into it' whatever that means for them. Currently wine is your best offering, you will need to get down a dirty with dependencies to make it operate like it should but it's not hopeless these days.

The drivers are actually fine and it's a myth that holds over from the FireGL days. AMD has drivers built right into the kernel and OS, you don't even need to install anything at all and the open source AMD are the best you can get for any purpose and actually currently beat the proprietary ones.

Nvidia you just open the driver manager and install the nvidia proprietary drivers.

The drivers are 1:1 with windows. Nvidia shares the same code base and AMD is just a chad that rewrote pure open source ones.
The problem is DX doesn't exist but DXVK translates DX to vulkan at about 90% efficiency.

>have no idea how to find the directory where a program's executable
You don't need to know. All software is executable in the terminal and you can easily make shortcuts to the executables, or any command or file you want.
> I know there's no .exe but you get what I mean.
There is.
>Downloading programs is also a huge fuckin thing.
Download an Appimage, right click > mark as executable. Double click. That's all.
You can use snaps or flatpaks if you want faster updates, or just use a rolling release distro. You don't HAVE TO use Ubuntu/Debian/mint.
>video games
Work fine. If you need windows exclusives then there's only a few that Proton doesn't support.
>Adobe
Irrelevant unless you're a hobbyist, and if you are it's not difficult to learn a different ecosystem.
>Davinci Resolve, and even that isn't as good as Premiere or Vegas.
This is completely and utterly false.
>OSS is just worse than their closed source commercial equivalents.
>what is web browsers, video players, obs, desktop environments, linux kernel, android, torrent clients, music players, compilers, archivers/compression tools, communication tools, freesync
All completely beyond proprietary alternatives or at the very worst equal to them.

>Downloading programs is also a huge fuckin thing. Either you use something like the Ubuntu software center thing and get outdated versions of software, or you find some fuck's SourceForge or GitHub page and have to compile the fuckin thing yourself. Or you could copy and paste a single command, easy enough, if the fucker provides it, and good luck having a single salty clue what the fuck any of the syntax on that shit means.

use arch or a babby's first arch derivative like manjaro and use the AUR you goofball

Linux is not windows. Why do you assume that these things should be the same in both operating systems? Instead of seeing windows as some default method of doing things why not try to see them as simply being different. Why are you posting stuff, your struggle with Linux is your struggle. Dont blame others because you are finding it too m much of a struggle. If you dont like linux, fine, dont use it. Nobody is forcing you to. Do it because you enjoy it, but if you dont enjoy it dont use it.

>you find some fuck's SourceForge or GitHub page and have to compile the fuckin thing yourself
This has been a known issue for a long time. There are elitists who like to dodge the issue and insist that compiling programs is easy, and a lot of the time it is, but when it fails it's a huge fucking pain especially if you don't know anything about compiling. In response to this downloadable one-click installers with no external dependencies are slowly becoming a thing, especially on mainstream distros (ubuntu, fedora, etc.).
>people who have years of experience with Linux or other Unix-type shit think they're cool for being in their secret club
Projects like Ubuntu set out to make linux accessible to people who don't want to deal with that shit. The "seekrut klub" herd mentality is why distros like ubuntu get so much hate here.
>Adobe suite didn't work
This is a problem with no real solution
>video games
Check steam, there's a decent collection available
>Tried to switch years ago.
It's come a long way even in recent years, but based on your post I'd probably steer unless Adobe has a change of heart.

The exotic "desktop" nich OS Windows doesn't even have a solid CLI package manager, unlike industry standard Linux. And where are the nix and guix packages, snaps, flatpacks? Where are the mature tiling WMs.

It is impossibly hard to operate, totally obvious why Windows is a dying niche OS.

>I still have no idea how to find the directory where a program's executable is

>Downloading programs is also a huge fuckin thing. Either you use something like the Ubuntu software center thing and get outdated versions of software, or you find some fuck's SourceForge or GitHub page and have to compile the fuckin thing yourself.

>And god forbid you actually talk about these difficulties online. Inevitably some dude's gonna try some weak-ass

>GIMP or Inkscape are not replacements for their Adobe equivalents

>video games and the Adobe suite didn't work

>OSS is just worse than their closed source commercial equivalents. It's not surprising or anything, it just is.

100% agree

t. run windows/debian dualboot desktop, debian (windows vm) laptop

Linux is fun. It's like I actually control my computer. But it suffers enormously from quality of life issues and a community blind, deaf, and dumb to the massive problems it has with unintuitive interfaces and filesystems. Seriously when the fuck is gobolinux going to become the standard? Linux's filestructure is fucking retarded.

motoko for attention grabbing image

Attached: 1f3a56f18399d8171193192e6e8d4769.png (652x497, 312K)

Using adobeshit never had any real solutions, only abstaining works. If you used adobetrash flash, you always had bad performance and security issues. LR always was multiple times slower than the competition on fast machines, (premiere too the last time I checked it a decade ago, but it must have sucked anyhow). And so on. And they now doubled their profits with subscription only software on top.

>100% agree
Fucking "which" or use your package manager to query its managed files. And other methods

You'd know this instantly if you had cared, it's described all over the internet.

> Downloading programs is also a huge fuckin thing.
> 100% agree
Learn to use package managers (and the other methods if you need to).

Although maybe you both are honestly better off on unrooted Android.

You failed to properly address most of his points raised. U just answered "not true, lol" to most of the things. Are u a retard or just autistic much?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

100% use KDE (Kubuntu) or Mint to retain the Windows look.
Gaming is still inferior on Linux but it's quickly getting on par with Windows. I wouldn't recommend Linux to a "gamer", even with Proton being a thing

> Gaming is still inferior on Linux
That is true, but it still has more games on Steam than the current gen consoles have, right?

And then of course older games on console emulators.

Also, if you want maximum games, just keep a Windows "console", you don't even need to put Linux on the same machine.

He didn't make any points other than being retarded.

(OP)
I would like to interject for a moment to give u a handjob (no homo) cause I also agree. t. windows/ubuntu dualboot. I fully understand OP though I already gained enough exp. to overcome these things or just switch to win and gaym or adobe away. I just use the best from both worlds and fuckit.

I also tried some distros lately and I must say GNU/Linux has made some real progress in the last years. I remember trying Ubuntu (a literallyjustwerks distro) on my laptop like ten years ago, the Wifi and the touchpad didn't work without installing proprietary drivers. It was also slower than XP and even Vista. Now these 'easy' distros like Ubuntu-based ones and Fedora just work out of the box and are faster than Windows nowadays.

I agree, GNU/Linux developers also need to make their documentation on their Wikis more clearly so that everyone can understand what exactly needs to be done in order to do X or Y. Just say the exact commands so anyone can copy+paste it. Not everyone has experience with GNU/Linux or your distro.
It will never reach large proportions of the desktop OS market share if it doesn't become easy to use. It's crazy how Linux-kernel-based software dominates nearly all industries (servers, supercomputers, phones/tablets) but the desktop OS one.

I used linux all through high school and college and I can say I agree 100% with op.
In a mature os you shouldn't need to do this
Computers are the slave. Not us. Every second spent googling about how to use my os is a second wasted. I studied computer science . The use of Linux does not teach you at all about computers except for the most superficial. It's just a tedious time waster.

You. What would you rather do?
Painstakingly learn how to use your operating system (you are not learning about operating systems or architecture . You are at most becoming a power user)
Configure your text editor for hours for some minute use case that saves miniscule amounts of time ( the writing of code and text is not the slow part of programming and writing)

OR
Use all defaults and whatever you can get working for the least headache. Open up a textbook pdf and learning about how this shit actually functions from the most abstract concepts to the base metal.

>It's crazy how Linux-kernel-based software dominates nearly all industries (servers, supercomputers, phones/tablets) but the desktop OS one.
It's not crazy at all. For people who can read, Linux is well-documented and useful and quite easy to handle while letting them do anything they need/want to.

BUT people who don't can't actually deal with computers even on a sysadmin level can simply not handle anything but some unrooted Android type of situation.
Either you put them in a comparable sandbox, or it'll never work.

NO they cannot find the correct commands to paste either, or insert the correct drive to wipe, or anything else. It just doesn't work. Only unrooted Android works for them.

> Computers are the slave. Not us.
Even if they were HUMAN slaves, you'd not expect explaining highly complex instructions to them to be easy.

But it turns out they're the by far most complex machines that we operate. If you want them to do x, that can be "simple" in the context of the relative difficulty of how difficult get on that machine and still be too difficult for uneducated people or even some teams of educated people; that's just how it is.

> You are at most becoming a power user
Yes, that's just the most basics of basics of dealing with these super complex machines.

I feel like you're the kid who is like "why is shopping so difficult, why can't I talk to a 50 gram smart foil and it folds itself into a box, autonomously hitches a ride to a Arabian medieval style market, haggles for a good price with the seller, pays in cash, and autonomously makes its way back with the best form of mixed transport on the best route and 100kg of goods without anything going wrong.

Yes, computers are more complex than that. And reality is that you at best can fold 50g of plastic into a container and carry it yourself, handling problems on the way yourself. It can't just be done right for everyone.

> Use all defaults and whatever you can get working for the least headache.
You have that on Android, together with mostly immutable sandboxed applications and only VERY trivial mutable configuration that you edit usually only through a clicky GUI and only for this current program. Go use Android.

Linux is for working with computers, for people who don't delude themselves that it's surely all only a button and hence terribly simple overall.

Typical delusional Linux lover. You talk all this trash. Have you even glanced at the code? At least read Lion's book ? Dinosaur book? Minix book?
The first half of your post is irrelevant to mine. Then some weak analogy I don't care to see the end of. Now you want me to run Android and then you pat yourself on the back.
I don't want to run android because i don't trust google.

Being able to configure your operating system in very surface level ways makes it an operating system for people who want to work with computers and appreciate it's complexity? Get a grip.

Use a major distro with Gnome or KDE and things will be mostly fine and intuitive though a few things violate the sensibilities of someone used to Windows or OS X. Use Valve's compatibility layers and a great many Windows-only games work perfectly.

However, I still recommend Windows 10 for the completely computer illiterate normie. Why? Because as intuitive and easy to use as Linux is, you still run into the occasional hitch with incompatible hardware or things that require some setup. After installing Linux fresh I still had to activate a proprietary driver to get full graphics performance, install my network printer, and dealing with Bluetooth devices is still a little strange compared to other systems. (Big plus though, I can use my Linux desktop as a Bluetooth speaker, something no other OS seems to do.)

When I installed Windows 10 on the same system to dual boot, I left it sit at the desktop for a few minutes after installation completed and then checked Device Manager. It had found a near optimal driver for every single device, and even found and installed my network printer and set it up as the default printer for me, with zero interaction on my part. The only things left for me to do were to install a slightly more up to date graphics driver and adjust settings to my liking.

I've read a lot of books and I can sysadmin my Linux okay, but in no way I think computers are easy, you DO see the many hundreds of thousands of people struggling to make stuff work.

No, it's not about "appreciating" complexity, it's about it simply being there because of the machine in question.

The way around for uneducated end users is EXACTLY something like unrooted Android or a web app - you get to do nothing except a very low number of functions in each sandboxed environment, and that's exactly what you should use if you don't want to be confronted with any of the many-layered complex reality "under the hood" where each not nicely one-on-one stacked layer has skills and tools to deal with.

Or you learn some skills at the layers you're dealing with. Not all of it is hard by any means, but it is stuff to learn. If you want to understand what files the OS is accessing statistically, you need knowledge and one or a few tools. If you want to understand how to set up networking, you need knowledge and possibly MANY tools. And so on.

It's just in fucking /usr/bin or whatever the fuck your distro uses. Why is this too complicated for some people?

It took me a while too OP, many years ago, but like anything if you really want to change/switch you'll have to deal with the leaning curve.
You could give it another try but this time under something that isn't based or a fork of something. Use pure debian stable, easy to install, you have a minimal net iso, iso with live installation and also iso with non-free firmware. You learn how to use debian, you can use any of the multiple distros based on it, with the added bonus that debian is more(much more) stable than Ubuntu or Mint for example.

The community is also friendly enough. I won't recommend you to use gentoo or arch right away, or ever, they have lots of angry kids that feel superior to everyone because they read a wiki or tried 10 times an installation of some OS. If you do at least make sure you read a lot of their documentation or they'll tell you to fuck off.
Linux GPU drives aren't a nightmare, it's simply nvidia can be a bitch but many distros even come with a GUI just to install those drivers.
I'll take your word on Adobe as I don't use it but Steam(and Protondb) and wine cover about what I would say more than 80% of the games out there.

>Kubuntu
>not KDE Neon
YOU FUCKER, USE THE PROPER KDE UBUNTU OS, NOT THAT SHITTY OFFICIAL "FLAVOUR".

What I'm getting from your posts is that you have think you're smart and have excess free time because linux is not user friendly and constantly broken.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1492292859874.jpg (250x250, 93K)

Yes, you can simplify it all away from all this impossibly geeky shit and and use unrooted Android.
Then you think of it all as just as a "button" and give up if it doesn't do what you need. Just do it, it suits you best.

Crazy no life too much time geeks like me will continue to need to know what a MAC address is, what an inode represents, and occasionally what schedulers or traffic shapers apply by default and how you mark traffic to be shaped otherwise.
And configs and geek boy wizardry that requires more than one page of reading to even get started with, terrible things which you cleverly avoided by having one button. Aren't computers SO easy, why do they make it all SO hard...?

KDE Neon is bleeding edge KDE stuck on long-term-support Ubuntu, while Kubuntu is "reasonably recent" all around, making it a better choice for someone who doesn't want to use third-party repos to - for example - get non-ancient MPV.

>Tried to switch years ago.
Things changed a fair bit since then.
Executables pretty much always are in a "bin" folder, which one depends on what a program is - a system tool would likely be in /bin, an user program pulled from the repo will sit in /usr/bin, programs installed from other sources will be in /usr/local/bin, /opt/[program name]/bin, etc.
When in doubt, call "which [program name]".
>Either you use something like the Ubuntu software center thing and get outdated versions of software, or you find some fuck's SourceForge or GitHub page and have to compile the fuckin thing yourself.
There are also snaps, appimages, .deb packages and third-party repos (for Ubuntu, Launchpad), programs distributed as a zip archive to unpack without compiling, etc.
If a piece of software has no other way to install it on Ubuntu than compiling, you're looking at some real obscure shit.
All those ways are superior to looking for .exes on some shady site.
>And video games and the Adobe suite didn't work, and the latter hardly worked in WINE so don't give me shit about that.
See my first point. WINE matured a lot since Valve started pumping money into it.
>And no, GIMP or Inkscape are not replacements for their Adobe equivalents
Maybe not a full replacement, but Krita is pretty okay. for most raster image stuff, definitely more usable than GIMP.
>Speaking of, OSS is just worse than their closed source commercial equivalents.
For two quick examples, Firefox and VLC are superior to all closed-source alternatives.
>I know Steam released some new WINE alternative
not alternative, it's just WINE - as mentioned above, improved a lot throughout the last years - with Steam integration.
>when Linux GPU drivers aren't a nightmare
have you tried not using Nvidia?
>when Adobe CC works on it flawlessly
well, shit. Older Adobe tools work in WINE now, but not sure about current CC, because Adobe is evil.

>Nvidia you just open the driver manager and install the nvidia proprietary drivers.
I've been trying to get this Steam Proton meme running for a while now, and all the guides say not to do that because it serves outdated drivers.

>You don't need to know.
Stopped reading there. You probably also think UWP is great

>It's actually pretty impressive how usable Linux is, but so much of it is unintuitive to someone who's used Windows for literally their entire life.
Ever stop and think that maybe it's just that Windows is unintuitive in the face of literally every other operating system ever?

>gobolinux
It makes sense and is easy for new users to understand, which is exactly why the Linux community will never accept it

>OSS is just worse than their closed source commercial equivalents

what you're referring to as "OSS" is actually hobby software, made by small voluntary teams or even one person.
Open source software backed by large companies and hundreds of developers and millions of users is actually incredibly high quality.
Conversely, proprietary software made by lone guys and small teams also happens to be shit.

Ever stop to think that over 75% of people use Windows and so OS developers should learn how real people use computers and not the other way around?

huhuhuh he couldn't paste commands, brainlet you barely even have to use the terminal stupid winigger

>tiling WMs

Attached: 1.jpg (301x490, 26K)

Trying to install nvidia driver on devuan. Installs but wont run. 6 hrs of googling trying every fix listed. Uninstall then reinstall drivers. Bricks OS. Reinstll OS. Start over. Still doesnt work. Back to google. Driver install kills OS again. Fuck this

Attached: the-fox-and-the-grapes.jpg (530x1104, 403K)

>Ubuntu's rolling is currently 18.10
Having a specific release is the opposite of rolling release user

Package managers are great

But not everything is available in a package manager, and it's not clear to the user how to use a package manager to find what they're looking for. They will google and try to download stuff instead of using the package manager, for example.

Furthermore, there are a lot of things that just aren't in the package manager - software removed by a repo for whatever reason, stuff that's just plain outdated, stuff that's too new. For example, I can't install eclipse through apt in debian because it's not actually in the repos I have. I don't know why it isn't in the repos, but it isn't, so I can't install eclipse through apt, I've had to manually download it.

And god forbid if you are using linux and you have to manually download and install something. It's a fucking NIGHTMARE. Where does the archive go? Where do I save the executable? How do I install it? Not only is it nothing like windows, it's not even obvious in the slightest what's necessary to install something - and if it doesn't come with a readme or shell script for installation, forget it. Nobody who isn't a programmer is going to compile your fucking program.

Linux doesn't need to copy windows, but it does need to do SOMETHING to alleviate the very common and frustrating issues people have with otherwise simple and basic procedures in Windows/Mac

Fuck off RMS

also another motoko

I spent an entire week getting my wireless to work in debian on my thinkpad. That was on top of having to create custom boot parameters so debian would even boot in the first place.

Attached: 91ebef692e65e351677888b0654da11d.png (720x900, 238K)

>debian
Found your problem.

>And god forbid if you are using linux and you have to manually download and install something. It's a fucking NIGHTMARE.
No it isn't. Just fucking clone the repo on github or whatever and follow the instructions. You don't need to know how to program to type ./configure, make, and make install.

>Where are the mature tiling WMs.
There are none and will be none. You tiling fags always want to recompile your wm or fiddle with config files to change stuff anyway.

>Just fucking clone the repo

That is already more difficult and time consuming than it has any right to be. 99% of normal people will just get frustrated and call your OS a piece of shit that doesn't work.

"git clone url" is less work than trying to find a download link on some retarded material designed website.

Tried to switch years ago.
It's actually pretty impressive how usable Linux is, but so much of it is unintuitive to someone who's used Windows for literally their entire life. I still have no idea how to find the directory where a program's executable is, and yeah I know there's no .exe but you get what I mean.
Downloading programs is also a huge fuckin thing. Either you use something like the Ubuntu software center thing and get outdated versions of software, or you find some fuck's SourceForge or GitHub page and have to compile the fuckin thing yourself. Or you could copy and paste a single command, easy enough, if the fucker provides it, and good luck having a single salty clue what the fuck any of the syntax on that shit means.
And god forbid you actually talk about these difficulties online. Inevitably some dude's gonna try some weak-ass
>huhuhuh he couldn't paste commands, brainlet you barely even have to use the terminal stupid winigger
bait because people who have years of experience with Linux or other Unix-type shit think they're cool for being in their secret club.
And video games and the Adobe suite didn't work, and the latter hardly worked in WINE so don't give me shit about that. And no, GIMP or Inkscape are not replacements for their Adobe equivalents, and there's no good video editor on Linux save for like Davinci Resolve, and even that isn't as good as Premiere or Vegas.
Speaking of, OSS is just worse than their closed source commercial equivalents. It's not surprising or anything, it just is. I personally don't give a care about 'muh free as in freedom' commie 'i should be allowed to modify software I purchased any way I like and freely share it, man' bullshit when it means that the actual software on offer is immature and generally terrible.
I know Steam released some new WINE alternative but wake me up when Linux GPU drivers aren't a nightmare and when that WINE alternative is as good as using Windows. And when Adobe CC works on it flawlessly.

>use windows for ages
>finally switch full-time to linux
>going back to windows feels foreign but i can manage
It's a good feeling not being a complete mong

No it isn't. You only think it is because you're a brainlet who can't figure out what other people do and do not know.

Here's a protip: Not everyone has the same knowledge as you do. Intuitive and well designed interfaces and systems are usable whether you fully understand what you're doing or not - and doing something as simple as installing a program should not require the user to learn how to use the console and its shell commands.

This is what people don't like about linux - otherwise simple tasks are overcomplicated and require you to learn about a bunch of things you really don't give a shit about. You want to install a program not learn how bash works.

>be me, brainley who browses g to pretend not
>struggle for days to get newer nvidia optimus drivers to work on old hybrid notebook(was working wtf how I brake)
>fuckit format install ubuntu
>spend all day googling how to get nvidia-prime or bumblebee working
>have to google just how to create new file in root directory because it just works
>black screen Intel driver won't work wtf
>google how to greentext
Just works they said

i gave up and installed a normal distro lol.
they need to include nvidia drivers in the install and fuck off with that nouveau bullshit.
that goes for every distro.

>he fell for the loonix meme
It's literally less work to fix the few small issues with Windows (start menu, updates) in 5 minutes with a few google searches than than it is fixing loonix daily.

pop os. get the nvidia iso not the intel/amd.
it actually does just work.

For 99.9% of things you can use the packages.

one trick is don't install anything systemwide other than by packages.

If you need a newer version of something install it in your home directory

/configure --prefix=$HOME

this puts it in your home directory and won't interfere with the system as a whole.

have a $HOME/opt directory to install downloaded binaries and create a symlink to the binaries to $HOME/bin/whatever-it-is

When I first started I'd compile things and install them systemwide and then the package system stopped being able to reliably make things work.

Don't do that.

linux is a lot like unix. the unix like system is the best computing system ever created. you knowing how to use the convoluted system known as Windows is like being in the stone age while us unix users are literally about to be colonizing mars

linux is like:
buying a car at a dealership and instead of driving off into the sunset you have to build the thing out of the kit they gave you.

Attached: here's a nickle.jpg (1488x490, 133K)

linux is like:
you know how to build a car and you know exactly what you want. so instead of buying a pre-made inferior product that will break every time you have to take it in for mandatory service, you build yourself the perfect car out of the highest quality parts available, then you drive it.

Except all that is totally optional and you can just get a free perfectly working car at the dealership if you want to.

>windows
>works perfectly

Attached: btfo.gif (498x278, 1.69M)

But then this happens

Attached: 1 Y3ZibsBlrVfWspy9HLANPQ.jpg (640x478, 75K)

There is a lot of shit with the greater Linux ecosystem that's absolutely retarded, and all the various distro's have their own little and big stupid issues, and things could easily be made several times more accessible with absolutely minimal effort. That said Windows isn't necessarily better designed, in fact it's worse in most aspects, you're just used to it. Depending on what software and hardware you're using, Windows isn't necessarily less buggy either, it can easily be a lot worse.
>Change locale in an intuitive and well designed interface
Google how to do it, have to go through the retarded mess of the control center interface, then pirate shit because microsoft are jews and wanted to charge extra for locales even though shit was free in earlier versions of windows.
>Change locale in something nasty and overcomplicated
LANG=whateverlocaleIwanttouse whateverprogramIwanttorun

>idiot tries to build a car
what is your point?

you are off the mark here user. you can buy perpetual adobe licenses, you just have to call their sales line. t. did this for acrobat pro

except linux never just works and requires constant tweaking because it still isn't a mature operating system. To many distros. To many people going off in all different directions.

making it actually modular so you can easily pick and choose what you want without retarded hassle would be a better approach.

select which desktop environment. select gpu drivers. select what apps etc etc and have it auto compile into an iso so you can just install it and it actually works.

to many ego's.

>except linux never just works and requires constant tweaking because it still isn't a mature operating system. To many distros. To many people going off in all different directions.
>i'm an idiot and can't drive my Toyota Yaris but let me tell you about the time I tried to drive an Audi formula 1 race car and crashed it. Stupid race cars are too hard.

Attached: btfo.webm (498x278, 261K)

>beind dumb
>posting anyway
I was obviously still talking about Linux distros. Windows isn't even free. It was a free upgrade for people who bought it. There are easy Linux distros.
Windows requires just as much tweaking, so I guess it isn't mature either.

all cars work out of the box.
if you've driven a car you can drive a truck.
you could even drive a public transport bus.

linux on the other hand doesn't just work

i will never let a microsoft product onto any of my devices ever again. i haven't run windows for the last ten years. i don't even think about windows anymore, it's a meme

Attached: microsoft.png (1300x4704, 1.14M)

>Google how to do it,
Look, I know this is a REALLY difficult concept to wrap your aspie brain around, but if you have to google something to use it, then it isn't intuitive.

windows exists to keep lusers off/out of linux and i approve of this.

Attached: 1468241808590.png (381x292, 47K)

Why even install it in the first place, idiot? What motivates you people? I can understand if you're legitimately a sysadmin or something, but if you want to use software then why convert?

Instead you get to slowly but surely take the CoC, I bet you approve of that too faggot.

Attached: cotton_blend.jpg (938x969, 232K)

windows doesn't require the same amount of involved tweaking to work out of the box.
some distros install super easy but if anything fucks up after that its googling for hours to hopefully find a fix. you don't need to touch the terminal in windows ever as an average user. linux it's a requirement. even easy distros have a big learning curve compared to windows.

>googling for hours trying to find a fix
just admit you have no idea what you are doing, have no idea how computers work, and any time you try to do something it rapidly degenerates into you hopelessly flailing about blindly to find your way out of a wet paper bag

Do you lack reading comprehension? I was very clearly pointing out how much more difficult it was to do on the system the person I was replying to described as intuitive.
Honestly the stupidest thing with linux is probably the default settings for touch pads, I don't get why anyone thinks it's a good idea to have tab buttons turned off by default. The very first thing impression someone installing Linux on their laptop gets is "Hey, my touch pad isn't working right", and for no reason at all. Granted it might be very easy to fix depending on desktop environment, but it's still very stupid that the absolute first thing someone installing Linux has to do is fix something.

it's free. that's it's only advantage.

that's funny because i think the windows default touch pad settings are broken. guess it's subjective, huh?

and if you have new silicon you can edit the kernel source code and run linux on it. try doing that with windows

why would i try to do that or any average pc user?
that doesn't make it a good os.
it's only a good thing if you have the ability to do so and you like to tinker.

linux is not for the average pc luser.

It's not about the Windows defaults being the optimal settings, it's about them being the best default. Personally I'm very autistic about how I want my touch pad to function, and can't live without the synaptics driver. The problem is that anyone coming to Linux will likely have experience with at least one other prior operating system, and in every other operating system touch pads have the normal default settings, so for one thing some will gain the mistaken impression things are broken and not just differently configured, and secondly the people who have to start messing with the settings are the people least equipped to do so. This reminds me of another thing, that I don't know of any distro that automatically sets the x keyboard to the right language. I know several already alter the terminal keyboard to match whatever is selected during installation, if they're going to go that far, I don't get why they don't also fix the X keyboard while they're at it.

wahh.

>installed Debian, chose Cinnamon and nonfree
>touchpad worked out of the box, never messed with it and it's comfortable
>trackpoint worked out of the box, never messed with it and it's comfortable
>two finger scrolling works, enabled one checkbox for it in the settings
>unrelated but wifi worked out of the box, never messed with it
I don't know why you sperg so much about touchpads but your personal experiences are obviously not the whole truth. There was no terminal involved.

Here's the think, you haven't mentioned anything that's not basic. You may be knowledgeable but mentioning mac addresses, inodes, editing conf, and referencing iptable filtering (although that's not the only way) makes me doubt it. It sounds like you logged into your router.
People just don't want to spend time on it, you do that's fine. Doesn't mean anything either way.

Advising KDE to winfag is the worst shit. GNOME is much better for that.

linux right now is where windows was in 2003-2005. it works for the most part but you'll have to get your hands dirty. most peeps don't have the patience. it's fun. for me its a new toy to play with.

gnome and cinnamon
ex- winfag lol.

so far ive used kde, xfce, mate, cinnamon and gnome. i personally like gnome the best.

> I still have no idea how to find the directory where a program's executable is, and yeah I know there's no .exe but you get what I mean.
Linux is closer to the way that most systems were designed before things began to really diverge. If you delve into other operating systems, with time, windows will feel like the backwards confusing one out of all of them.
In most Linux distros, most programs don't have a consolidated directory they install to, their files are split up between directories like /usr/bin /usr/share /var and /usr/lib
Some modern OSs like NixOs change this, but in a way that's even more different than how Windows or MacOS works.

> Downloading programs is also a huge fuckin thing. Either you use something like the Ubuntu software center thing and get outdated versions of software, or you find some fuck's SourceForge or GitHub page and have to compile the fuckin thing yourself.

Most programs are really easy to compile, and having source code is actually a good thing.
The old standard was "./configure && make && sudo make install"
These days there are a few build systems taking over the old configure and makefile system, but it's really easy, and if you use Arch, Debian, or Gentoo I highly doubt you'll ever find something that isn't packaged anyway.
By the way, applications can run standalone on Linux just like windows, but it's just not the way people prefer to do things. Linux programs are slimmer because of dynamic linking and sometimes compiler optimizations.

Regarding software like Photoshop. If you need to use professional software then use whatever OS is necessary. I personally run windows in a virtual machine with pci-passthrough so it's basically like running Windows and Linux at the same time. I use windows for specific software that I need for work to get stuff done.

The binaries are in /bin. The shortcuts are in /usr/share/applications
>Either you use something like the Ubuntu software center thing and get outdated versions of software
Yeah, Ubuntu ships some dated software. If that's an issue for you, Fedora is a better choice. Fedora is overall a better choice for beginners actually.
Also learn to use package manager, in Ubuntu's case, apt-get. It's faster to use and you can install way more software with it.
>And video games and the Adobe suite didn't work
>and there's no good video editor on Linux save for like Davinci Resolve
Yeah, because development for other systems is costly and demanding. If your job or other serious career task requires you to work specifically with professional software like this, just have Windows installed alongside, it will save you a lot of trouble.
But if you need it for making memes and other personal stuff, then open source will serve you well. Using some Professional® corpo wageslave solutions for that purpose is just retarded.
>wake me up when Linux GPU drivers aren't a nightmare and when that WINE alternative is as good as using Windows. And when Adobe CC works on it flawlessly.
Well, then Windows is just for you, I don't blame you on that.
The problem is that GNU freetards are too keen on their ideology and push it everywhere, when it's needed and where it's not.
Also GNU people strive to create an alternative to proprietary software by any means. They hate Microsoft, but still trying to turn Linux into Windows. I guess one of them recommended you Linux as free Windows alternative.
Anyway, op. If you need your photoshop and gayms - just keep using Windows. If you want become an advanced computer User - then I'd recommend you to use Fedora for year or half (for the first steps), then move on to Arch (the best wiki). And keep learning.

Attached: 1549376801545-g.png (3210x1024, 547K)

Maybe I'm interpreting the analogy incorrectly, windows is the premade car that you're too inept to keep running?
>mandatory service
Maybe incompetent would have been a better choice then inept.