/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™!
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t.), X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s), T500, W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, socketed CPU, quadcore-compatible
>T520/T530, W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, quadcore; USB 3.0, 32GB RAM in W-series
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p, T540p, W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide:
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
thinkpads.monkeyfume.com
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>Coreboot compatibility list:
coreboot.org/status/board-status.html
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: rmsche.jpg (640x480, 66K)

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/17400483
thinkpads.monkeyfume.com
stickyarsenal.com/product/g-toaster
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

strawpoll.me/17400483

Can I upgrade the LCD on my X200 to an LED+AFFS? If so, how? and how much will it cost?

Attached: yellowshit.jpg (600x800, 61K)

>being this daft
nice fucking poll
guys whats tastier:
>food
>shit
please vote tyvm

>thinkpads.monkeyfume.com
does this link work for anyone else?

Attached: 1510263446390.jpg (740x946, 437K)

nope, just tried it

every time serviceability of newer models is asked abot, you get many many responses saying the newer ones are actually easier. Indeed, they do look extremely easy to work on other than keyboard replacement. The poll is to help me figure out if its just one person making numerous posts saying the newer models are easer, or if in fact many people actually believe the newer models are easier

the poll is currently at 91% for the older models so that basically confirms it.

So anyway, out of the older models, can anyone share which models in particular are easiest to disassemble?

>implying I'll click your IP logger
lol

Attached: gas.png (324x275, 12K)

Got a T430, threw an SSD into it (alongside the SATA), gonna use a lightweight distro to make things really snappy.

Would increasing the RAM from 8GB to 16GB make any difference to performance if the machine will be running an already-small distro and I won't be doing any intense stuff with it? Not concerned with future-proofing and such, I'm just thinking about performance.

Let me rephrase that to sound less retarded: future-proofing is still a nice idea, but this thing won't ever be doing anything heavy so it isn't my focus.

x201 cutest thinkpad

Attached: 154946707295289.jpg (1727x2051, 652K)

X200s / X201s is cuter.

That said, I have my own FrankedPad idea of putting an X200s / X201s mainboard into an X200 / X201 case. The reason? Lower temps and quieter fan. A silly idea maybe, but hey I need a hobby and this is a unique and easy mod to do. I like the idea of a low voltage CPU with a big heatsink

>Would increasing the RAM from 8GB to 16GB make any difference to performance if the machine will be running an already-small distro and I won't be doing any intense stuff with it?
Monitor your RAM usage. The answer is almost certainly an emphatic NO but if you're one of them cuhrazy autismos who needs two dozen browser tabs open at once on top of other programs, sure.

should fit fine i'm pretty sure the chasis is the same

>x201 cutest thinkpad
based
>Debian GNU/Linux
retracted

How to get custom bios splash screen

whats wrong with debian it's peak comfy

Attached: 2_bbsonvedxq.jpg (715x1000, 149K)

>responses saying the newer ones are actually easier
It's not that the new ones are difficult to work on, but the older thinkpads pretty much define ease when it comes to cracking them open. If you have something that reaches A class against a standard it's still plain worse than something that measures S and nearly (or does) define what the standard is.

thats grub, but for a bios image you just put the picture in the bios folder and rename it to logo then update the bios

well the non-s models are much thicker to accomodate a larger heatsink. but other than that mounting and ports should all be the same. Ive got other Frankenpad projects I need to finish first tho.

systemd and sjws

newer models have less screws so it's quicker to take apart wouldn't really say it's easier tho since all you're doing is removing screws and taking parts out thats not hard. One nice thing about the new models is that you can repaste without taking the entire board out though

Attached: 70992610_p0.jpg (2480x3507, 709K)

this isn't the thread for it, I just wanted to poke a little fun is all. let's not repeat the autism of the L series argument that was close to closing out the last thread.

>inb4 I'm stickerbot
Just wanna remind my thinkpad loving friends that stickerbot restocked the OFFICIAL Jow Forums TOASTER stickers that people on Jow Forums fawn over from time to time.
stickyarsenal.com/product/g-toaster

Attached: Capital.png (500x400, 412K)

I usually sit at around 3GB, but this is on a different laptop that runs KDE Neon. I'm guessing it'd be a "no" for me too. Tons of tabs might happen from time to time, if I go overboard with researching stuff.

Might still upgrade eventually but, thanks for the info.

>Jow Forums

Incredible shit my man, I want to do something like this in the future.

People are fucking idiots, what a shock.
There's also a lot of purists that have literally never owned a newer model.

can you calm the fuck down?

I'm pretty calm user.

NP, truth be told 4GB RAM is probably enough for most people, and 8GB is a sufficiently high ceiling for at least 80-90% of normal users.

I don't understand.

uwu

Attached: IMG_1489.rotated.jpg (3024x4032, 1.27M)

>I don't understand.
i tried posting a link with a capital G to show it would 404 but Jow Forums just kept changing it to OP

cute

Pretty sure she modeled the toaster sticker after the SHITB/O/X one and didn't catch the capital, thus the filename I chose.

what wm do you run on your memepad?
i like dwm because I have it riced to the point where I never need to move the mouse, clit or otherwise.

Attached: 2019-02-09-1549757677.png (1951x1097, 2.46M)

yeah i think that:s the case

Attached: 1523318031769.png (800x257, 409K)

Just bought a T450s w/ battery and no charger, 210. Good/bad?

>complains about reddit
>uses windows
>lives in europe
lol

How do these compare to the patch dynamics sticker?
I still have his, and I haven't used it at all.
I like that these ones are considerably cheaper though.

you make some then you dork

looks better with uppercase g imo

Attached: 1505586894457.png (1974x687, 104K)

What? Are you having a nervous breakdown?

Good taste. I love Van Gogh but Starry Night is so oversaturated. I'm partial to The Rocks because I've seen it in person several times and VG's style makes the most that experience through paint's texture. Pic related is the current background on my work machine though.

>How do these compare to the patch dynamics sticker?
Couldn't tell you, I don't own one. I just collect patches and saw it in the vendor's update but they don't seem to post in Jow Forums at all and I'm not going to start a sticker thread on this godforsaken board.

Attached: Mulberry Tree - 1889.jpg (1207x1024, 2.09M)

I want this.

But the X61t is cuter than any widescreen gay shit

You're in luck friend

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (HP EliteBook)
Good.
Does anyone know if I can use the Nvidia Quadro M2000M, or at least the lower-end M1000M, on my ca. 2013 HP Elitebook 8570W ?

The device uses MXM-A 3.0 GPUs, meaning the video cards can be swapped and actually upgraded. However, I've not found a single solid answer to whether the M(X)000M cards would actually boot up / show pic on the laptop's screen when inserted, or what'd be needed to get 'em working.
Yet I've seen some crazy folks slap in a whole GTX 965M into their machines, and get them working just fine.

Attached: HP Elitebook 8570W.jpg (711x623, 135K)

>X200s / X201s is cuter.
yes. better screen:not-screen ratio

Toasting on a Pentium 4 Dell Latitude ITT

Hey! Thinking about buying a ThinkPad. Anyone have a recommendation for someone using at their secondary machine, and mainly for programming? Been using a T430 at work, and I've been liking it so far but I don't know if it would work for running a c# application I'm working on in my spare time

icewm

dwm.exe

i3 because new to tiling and it has the most guides/assistance available at a moments notice

It would be more than fine for what you're doing.

Y'all think they knew how much of a following they would get with the ThinkPad when they made it? I can still remember the first time I saw a ThinkPad pretty vividly, I was about 14. I ran my hand across the lid before opening it just because of the design.

got a sweet deal on a w530 but no harddrive, whats a good 500gb-ish SSD?

A lot of cheap Chinese SSDs are fine, just check reviews.
Name brand drives are obviously going to be faster on average, but I've bought a few drives meant primarily for the Chinese domestic market, and they've been as good as my name brand drives.

sata? crucial mx500 (m.2 or 2.5in)
nvme, haven't used one yet samsung stuff is good but costs a good bit more depending on form factor
haven't used an msata either

Reminder that thinkpads are the only laptops warrantied to be cumstained 100% of the time if you buy them used
even if it looks clean

Attached: 1416789037263.jpg (1200x1600, 862K)

>Reminder that...
I hope you develop a painful form of cancer such as multiple myeloma and die incredibly slowly, around ~3 years or so. Cheers.

This really disgusts me more than normal for some reason. Why would you do this?

Yeah, I liked them from a young age too.
When I was in the computer lab at my school we had them and they just felt nice to use.

someone posted that shit in this very general 5 years ago since then I've been paranoid about buying use keyboards/controllers
so if you wanna know why, ask the user who actually put that pic together I'm sure that pig still lurks around here

This filthy fat kike isn't even hiding the commie parasitism.

Well shilled rasheed!

samsung EVOs if you have lots of money
crucial MX500 if you have average money
adata SU800 if you have little money
gigabyte UD PRO if you have no money
I've noticed that my 500gb 860 EVO give about 30 mins more battery life than my 512gb UD PRO

why ruin a thread like that man, not ok at all

Yep, I'm a pajeet here to shill you a $2 sticker.
Good recognition white bro, you totally recognized when you were being fucked with. High tier behavior mang, you were on top of it. Way to go man, you did a good job :) Recognizing upper case and lower case is a very intricate scenario, and most white man approved™ software wouldn't pick this up. Make sure you upload your successful post to a WHITE approved subreddit so your fellow master race light-skinned bros can see your ownage. GG and take care friend!

Attached: 1518677480425.jpg (1400x1304, 225K)

rakesh mad as fuck

It was that kind of post that you don't even read to, but you're triggered af rasheed

I expect that every used piece of electronic equipment I buy is covered in a fine mist of cum, and I clean that shit accordingly.

My battery is totally spent, and this thing will occasionally just shut down. I don't get it though, I have it plugged in so shouldn't it be able to run anyway. It's super infrequent too, it's like it just stops receiving power randomly

Attached: 79030e8d.jpg (673x781, 27K)

What's the verdict on the Lenovo Ideapad 520?

>ideapad
into the trash it goes

>Ideapad
Bad.

Attached: 1548413051124.jpg (1280x720, 358K)

>Orange man
Bad.

Attached: 580a665bc52402f8058b6280-750-935.jpg (750x935, 115K)

I have a chance to get a fantastic condition X240 for $250. Should I jump on it or wait for something better?

Save for a new Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display like everyone in this thread does.

That seems like a decent deal to me

>Your mom
Good.

What could be causing coil whine in my T400?
It sounds like it comes from UNDER the Chipset area and the Super IO.
What is it even there?

Its like 10 times louder than the fan at idle.

Is it dumb to just have a 500 GB SSD and no HDD at all?

Attached: 1542600530686.jpg (702x562, 61K)

it's fine
spinning rust sucks anyway. and less likely to ruin it if you're taking and using it everywhere.
you can always have an hdd external

Got a pile of T400 I wanna sell for cheap.
I was gonna toss in 8GB of Ram, which should be their max but they beep at me. I assume that since they're on the original bios maybe and update will fix it? But, all their Batteries are shot, which is required by default to update the bios.
Can I modify the updater easily either within the Bootable CD version or Windows installer to ignore the Battery?

use powertop senpai

Depends, Thinkpads usually beep upon starting up but it depends what kind of beep.

Do they at least POST while on a power adapter?

So it's completely fine with 2x1gb ram, but with 2x4gb it beeps without post.
I realized the bios version was from 2009, so I only assumed that was it. My main concern now is updating the bios, but without a working battery.

Should be fine on a power adapter IMO, i updated the BIOS on the R40 i have ages ago so it would support a slightly newer wireless card and the battery died long ago but it worked fine on a power adapter.

Wont let me past the "requires a fully charged battery" message, both with the bootable cd and windows installer.

Ive seen guides online about avoiding it with a windows 98 boot disc, but I figured it be worth it to ask to avoid downloading and burning 98 to a disc.

If you have a few T400's you might as well order a chink bat just to update the BIOS and sell the bat on one of the machines.

Otherwise i have no idea besides using a Win98 boot CD either since the last time i did it with the R40 it had WinXP.

Should I do it bros?

I don't have enough elite level computer autism to use this T420 for ever and it really starts chugging if I have to use windows for anything. Kind of tired for 900p and 4k isn't going to be replaced anytime soon. Should be able to get 8-10 years of use out of it.

Attached: X1 Extreme.png (725x515, 311K)

If you think it fits your usecase then yes

ive started cleaning everything i buy used thorughly with ipa since i got worms a bit back and fairly certain it was from an ebay thinkpad

Attached: 1540477351819.png (403x500, 276K)

Hi,
I have a T430 with 4gb RAM. How can I enhance the RAM of my computer? Sorry I'm a bit of tech noob I just want the best for my Thinkpad.

buy 2 * 8gb sodimm ddr3

>x250
>internal battery
>additional 6 cell battery
>replacement 3 cell
>literally 3 days worth of use on 2 batteries
>modern specs
>modern features
>very light and compact
>16gb of RAM
>IPS panel
>nice keyboard
>full linux support
>generally comfy af

this is officially my favorite laptop I've ever used

I forgot the important part, all for less than $200

LOL. T450 is suddenly OK according to /tpg/?
Just a few months ago only the T430 offered the last real(TM) ThinkPad(TM) experience.
A few years ago it was T60 and no further.
Eternal hipsters.
Sent from my old T450s.

>worms
Worms?

Attached: 1538937648644.jpg (1280x720, 55K)

yes worms kek, apparently theyre quite common. I didn't even know people could get them

I use t480s and I don't give a fuck about classic hipsters.