Is there a way to 100% disable updates on windows 10?

is there a way to 100% disable updates on windows 10?
no regulars, no reboot
no creators updates, no quarter yearly

trying to set up a cctv system but every time the machine reboots i have to reset all the cams, it almost kills the point of the system when the machine will randomly decide to shut off to update for some 3d crap i dont even use

Attached: Moot_soup.jpg (640x480, 121K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/crazy-max/WindowsSpyBlocker/blob/master/data/hosts/update.txt
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

install gentoo

this, but unironically
other distros are available

>cctv server
>pleb tier consumer OS

I can't be 100% sure, but I think I've found your problem mate.

kill yourself

i cba to set up the entire cctv system again it's all made up from budget things and leftover parts and cameras so i saved probably 4000 dollars in total, and getting all the drivers and video feeds to work was a nightmare, no i can ever do that in linux without investing another 200 hours into this

disconnect from the internet

W10privacy. It basically just block all outcomming connection from your device to ms server through hosts file.

This except the computer will eventually demand to be reattached so it can update.

Windows 10 will literally fail to function after being disconnected for a certain amount of time.

W10 now bypasses the hosts file. You'll need a PiHole.

Simple answer: No.
The more you try to cockblock your Wontworks 10, the more suicidal it becomes, slowly but surely destroying core system elements' functionality every week.

I've only dealt with W10 for roughly 6 months through out my entire life, on 3 different systems. Even on the legit Pro version, using the native update postponing + safest available debloaters, things slowly started to deteriorate. First the WLAN functionality disappeared, then everything running on the Metro design simply failed to even launch, meaning majority of the OS' settings and even TASK BAR were unusable. Another W10 device I literally had to factory reset after mere 2 hours of using it, after merely replacing all the MS's shitty "apps" with proper, 3rd party desktop programs.

Finally went back to W7 Ultimate x64, and life's been good ever since. I'll prolly start dual-booting Leenux in early to mid 2020s; thank fucking god for the DXVK tech.

>win10 committing sudoku if you dont let it update
Holy shit is this real?

Yes, and it is a very old, widely known thing.
The thing literally goes full-out kamikaze if you isolate it outside of all internet connectivity.

MS' message is pretty clear:
"it puts the lotion on its skin, or it gets the hose!"

Attached: W10 Enterprise privacy test - still leaks data to MS - selfdestruts.jpg (638x5176, 968K)

I'm assuming the cctv system only needs to be accessible via lan? Just block all layer 3 traffic at the firewall or just don't give the machine a gateway.
I have never heard of this or experienced this. I work with a few windows 10 machines that don't have internet access for going on 10mos now, with zero issues.

I would guess their dicking around with registry settings has more to do with Wibdows 10 "breaking" than denying internet access.

Thank god I switched to leenucks.

>I have never heard of this or experienced this.
Guess you haven't lurked much ?

I have never seen actual proof of this and don't believe it happens. I haven't installed a dozen placebo "privacy" tools though. I am nearly positive that is the cause of W10 "breaking." Of course there are several businesses that run W10 offline with no issue, because there not running powershell scripts from some mong on bleepingcomputer to disable telemetry, that can't be disabled entirely without taking the computer offline. I understand that's extreme for most home users, but if there is a need for it, that is the only way.

>install LTSB version of Win10
problem solved.

cctv is easier in ubuntu

use windows 7 instead

>I haven't installed a dozen placebo "privacy" tools though
Neither have I. At most I've used a single (1) commonly used and recommended tool of the season, and no - these ain't any sort of powershell tricks either.

>Of course there are several businesses that run W10 offline with no issue
Remaining offline, and blocking the OS' access to internet are two totally different things. I myself have had several personal experiences with the OS working just fine for DAYS, even after installing my own apps to replace the W10's stock cancer, only to see things go sour soon after enabling the Wifi connection for the first time.

The bottom line is, spying and automated choices are a core part of the SERVICE that is known as "Windows 10", and fighting against it makes the beast very mad. I have worked as an IT tech support and repairs guy for years now, and I literally never recommend W10, and double confirm if the client knows what he's signing up for if he demands said OS.

How long did this take to happen? I have had updates disabled for months and to tell you the truth I don't even know what I did anymore to kill it totally. That being said there is certainly telemetry still on here because I "only" just blocked a few MS servers on host, disabled telemetry through UI, and ran a few spy killing scripts and called it a day.

Gpedit.msc, configure updates, disable. I set mine to notify and it has persisted. Also disable Windows update service to be doubly sure.

>installs a consumer grade version of an OS and complains that it doesn't meet his business standards
There has to be a special word to describe retards like this.

literally impossible, you might as well hang yourself.

>How long did this take to happen?
The first biz-laptop I got that came pre-installed with W10 Pro started going sour mere days into normal usage. And whenever I fixed one thing, another problem would instantly surface. It even got to the point that it not only affected the usability of the OS, but also the PHYSICAL hardware as well, with the trackpad being the first one to "die".

I've even had the OS go bonkers just by using the built-in 365 day update postponing feature of the Pro version, with all my connections being set as data-capped + max bandwith for updates being set to minimum.

W10, never ever again. Period.
It's ugly as fuck to boot.

>shit that didn't actually happen: the post

No, it's shit that LITERALLY happened, in front of dozens of people, that left me forever sour on the piece of shit operating system. I already knew to expect bullshit, but holy shit the Wontworks tenner is just one stinky diarrhea puddle.

This

I don't understand the windows update meme - it takes 30 seconds to disable it in group policy editor.

>affected the hardware
nah mate

Attached: 1547075565124.jpg (732x959, 56K)

You are literally full of shit.

Says a kid from /v/.

>hurr hurr kid
Really making a good case for yourself, user.

I bet you're assuming you ever made any sort of argument or case for yourself, don't you?
Typical "no u!" /v/-tard behavior. Go back.

hi third guy
you're both arguing in a "nu u" cycle, stop it you faggs. Give each other a hug (and maybe an assfuck for the road) ;)

why don't just instal enterprise ltsc or ltsb or whatever the fuck they are called? W10 LTSC is made for security systems

Who is this fag

The creator of reddid and ninegag

There is probably a way to make it happen.
My wireless card's configuration tool allows me to block it by only allowing programs I want to access the internet.
Everything else gets blocked and gets the little suspended/battery saver leaf icon in task manager.
No more pajeet updates for me :^)

I'm unsure of how to do it without that crutch though.

I've been blocking this stuff for longer than that and it has been working well. Though what you say doesn't surprise me, a lot of their updates broke things on my system. I made a backup right when I got it so I restored that and blocked updates and nothing has gone wrong.

Attached: screenshot.png (1920x1080, 494K)

pirate it

Just set your connection to metered. It won't download updates over a metered connection. Then when you actually want updates go click check for updates and then click download updates to make it do it over the metered connection anyway.

Get O&O ShutUp or something like that and disable windows update there.
Disable "Background Intelligent Transfers Service" from the msconfig program that comes with Winblows.

As memes have transcended into reality before, even though it might seem as a joke, best you transition to Linux, and quick fucking around with Windows.

Install AME. Also don't put your security system on the fucking internet, okay?

I needed the same thing for the pc I have running my 3D printer. There's a group policy setting that disables automatic updates and I haven't had any issues yet, but win10 being win10 I don't believe for a second this makes you 100% safe from update fuckery.

In local group policy editor, go to Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update and disable the "Configure Automatic Updates" policy. This might only work on Pro and up though. And don't even open the windows update menu in settings which could trigger a "manual" update check.

I would still highly recommend just never giving it an internet connection. Local network is fine as long as something at the network level is isolating it from the internet.

Having to fight your own OS is a sign that you need a new OS.
In this digital age, who doesn't deserve to feel "at home" on their own computer? Does windows make you feel at home or does it make you feel like you're renting a home from someone else?

Yeah there is but I forgot

>Does windows make you feel at home or does it make you feel like you're renting a home from someone else?
it feels like I'm renting a motel room with candy crush-themed wallpaper and a security camera behind the bathroom mirror. housekeeping may enter at any time regardless of whether you're in the room or not and leaves the room messier than it was before with a new candy crush-themed something cemented somewhere inconvenient. also maintenance comes in every few months to replace fixtures that were working perfectly fine with new ones that don't and build new shit I didn't ask for then destroy most of my personal shit on the way out

>and build new shit I didn't ask for then destroy most of my personal shit on the way out
Why do they do this though? It can't just be pure malice and misanthropy. What made men go an make win 10?

Of course there is. Im using pro and haven't updated in months. You can disable updates in group policy.

In gpedit.msc there's and option to completely block windows from contacting update servers

No its not real.

well the whole 1809 deleted data clusterfuck was probably just because of devs building on top of piles upon piles of spaghetti code that nobody knows how it works, then not having good testing plans before release. everything else though... is mainly driven by microsoft and the companies they're in bed with, to either increase profit with ad revenue or collect more telemetry to sell to advertisers for ad personalization would be my guess. other than that it's just people being idiots and wanting their desktop OS to work like their fucking smartphones.

I switch OS's every so often based on what I need and every time I set win10 aside and reinstall a linux distro it's insanely refreshing how much I can customize it around my usual workflow compared to win10 and OSX

install ltsb
block updates through group policy

There's a version of Windows 10 without creator updates that works completely fine.

>
>This except the computer will eventually demand to be reattached so it can update.
>Windows 10 will literally fail to function after being disconnected for a certain amount of time.
>
>W10 now bypasses the hosts file. You'll need a PiHole.

Win7 too

Get Windows 10 LTSB

Get an Asus Router and install Advanced Tomato ( advancedtomato.com) or Fresh Tomato (freshtomato.org). And then copy that list into your Router AdBlock menu:
github.com/crazy-max/WindowsSpyBlocker/blob/master/data/hosts/update.txt

Attached: Screen-Shot-2017-05-16-at-16.24.20-1024x585.png (1024x585, 837K)

gpedit but it's only available for the pro version

>Just set your connection to metered. It won't download updates over a metered connection.

Bingo! Hopefully he sees this post.

No, there actually is not. There's "embedded" for win8, and "long term support" like LTSB and LTSC, but those don't remove telemetry or forced updates, just tone them down.

This is wrong. It has been shown that windows 10 will refuse to run if now allowed to connect to "update sources"