/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: dwight-question-1024x768.jpg (1024x768, 67K)

Other urls found in this thread:

netgear.com/home/products/mobile-broadband/lte-modems/LB1120.aspx
libgen.io/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1TS-000X-00UY3&Tpk=1TS-000X-00UY3&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=11552995&PID=8349589&SID=
gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-MX150-2-vs-Nvidia-GTX-480/m309890vs3157
arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1235679&p=26303271#p26303271
github.com/LLNL/cardioid/tree/elec-fem
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Unrelated but I'm so happy I got into the office. It's honestly like, really well written

you posted early before I could!

Attached: 08e.jpg (308x326, 19K)

it is, great actors too
it was at like 296 replies, I'm only now realising I mixed up bump limit as 300 rather than 350, sorry
but still, I don't want to have to see jap kids in the op pic of this thread

based anti-fag

Why should I be using Linux over windows other then muh botnet?

Attached: index_0.jpg (243x208, 7K)

it helped cure my gayming addiction. also, dont believe the fa/g/s on here, they work for the nsa. linux is also a botnet.

it's actually 310 I think.
>I don't want to have to see jap kids
Too bad, here's what I would have had ;^)
Much more stable. You mileage may vary, but I have had a much more stable and bug-free experience on Linux than Windows. Windows is also really slow and I notice that immediately when I have to use it.

Attached: meontheright.jpg (350x511, 29K)

Is this modem alright, or should I get something else? My new connection is going to be """up to""" 250 mbps so a faster one would be nice, but I guess that it won't go over 150 anyways because jews. I barely can find any other standalone modems, everything I see is some shitty all-in-one routers.
netgear.com/home/products/mobile-broadband/lte-modems/LB1120.aspx

>Windows 7
>Open My Computer from the desktop
>Hangs and doesn't work
>Open collections from task bar instead
>Do random shit in explorer
>Forget about My Computer not opening
>Go eat dinner
>Come back browse the internet for an hour
>My computer finally decides to show up
>WTF

Sometimes when I create a new folder explorer decides to crash, or if I create a blank text document from the right click menu...
I have an addon to windows called 7+ taskbar tweaker and it's update message poped up shortly after my computer did, I'm thinking it may be related. My Computer either fails to launch now or displays an empty page. Uninstall taskbar tweaker, and reboot, My computer runs fine now, install latest version of taskbar tweaker, everything runs fine.

What's the easiest way to move everything from an Apple device to a new Apple device?

how can I record the output of my 3.5mm headphone amp?
I have a few record that I want to digitize and don't want to have to buy a $200 record to CD converter and then rip the files from the CD

>What's the easiest way
>apple
have the guy at the store do it for you, I'm not sure if you can handle anything more technical than that

can OpenBSD run linux programs?

this thread is "stupid questions" not "stupid responses"

Attached: 1370804799837.jpg (329x281, 35K)

no

Best way to apply thermal paste?

I recently cloned my hard drive to a 500GB SSD for the first time and I'm kind of spooked that the program I used (Macrium Reflect) fucked up something in the process.
I want to wait a week before I reformat my old hard drive and use it as storage but I feel like that's too long. Should I wait for 2-3 days instead?

shot in the dark here but does anyone know of a repository of prema bioses for clevo laptops? i have an old clevo with a shit fermi gpu that I want to drop a 765m in, and it's being a huge pain in my ass... im either going to need to flash the gpu's vbios or the computer's bios, or both. I just can't seem to find anyone with the prema bios for this computer and it looks like that fag does not have a public repo

this laptop was manufactured in 2011 though, so i dont think there's much out there for it anymore.

Attached: hacker irl.jpg (620x375, 82K)

I've got a few books I'm interested in downloading digitally, where the hell do I do so without buying them on Amazon or some other shit?

try this

libgen.io/

Do you guys have a prefered way to convert Audible files to DRM-free MP3s?

Attached: th.jpg (474x214, 12K)

I'm going on frequent trips and want something that can play street fighter 5 and tekken 7 at least on low settings.
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1TS-000X-00UY3&Tpk=1TS-000X-00UY3&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=11552995&PID=8349589&SID=
would this fit the bill?

iTunes backup / restore sadly

>and if its a full 64GB device its HOURS for each step

Thanks

Goddammit, I'm so used to having shotas in the OP that I couldn't find this thread without using the search engine.
Anyway, what's a trusty place to download old versions of macOS installers? Apple became so Jewish that it removed the option to download old versions of macOS from the AppStore.

Attached: 1526125521591.png (800x1000, 270K)

bois pls help x220t reporting
this fucking laptop all the sudden started cooking my balls
what do? htop says it's NetworkManager taking like 100% of a CPU core and making my laptop 96
can't believe i'm even using it, even connected thru ethernet and it's still on fire

Attached: wtf_96_dagreez.png (1366x768, 542K)

my goto is clean w/ 99% alcohol and list free cloth, let dry for 1 min after it looks dry - pea size drop center and squish straight down. remember CPU is square, heat is not.

care more if you OC or something

unless you're doing something stupid with your network I always assume things like this are CPU throttling because of overheating. Check BIOS for thermal events and assume it's using 100% CPU because your CPU is only running at 500MHz in an attempt to save itself.

If this checks out the only real fix is reseat heatsinks on fresh thermal compound which is always a few hours on an unfamiliar lappy. Also check fan is actually moving air and you don't sit it on some surface that blocks air intakes (pillow / stack of paper etc).

Can I use windows 10 or 7 video card drivers on windows 8.1?

no. quick search shows SF5 needs GTX 480/570 minimum and that has MX150-2 which is worse.

Its not perfect but any laptop you look at for this purpose, make the same comparison.

gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-MX150-2-vs-Nvidia-GTX-480/m309890vs3157

Usually no. If you have to ask this question you probably shouldn't.

The rare times I've pulled something like this off, it's been manually modifying ini files in a driver back and then manually installing them. Expect every auto installer (exe, msi etc) to cockblock you

fuck
latest drivers for my r90 200 series for 8.1 was in like 2017, 10 and 7 got releases last week

Anyone know why my laptop suddenly started to make a lot of fan noise? On the begining i tought that it was over heating but the overall temperature is 30c and its pretty cold on the outside, i also used compressed air on the fan but the fan keeps going crazy, i also use dd on the disk and do a clean install of debian but nothing helps. The laptop is a 1 year HP elitebook and i don't want to go to a jew tech center to check it out

there is hope, grabbed it just for fun - if you can extract the win10 one

it'll complain about windows version but you might be able to manually grab the drivers it unpacks during the install from .\whereever\Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2019-Edition-19.2.1-Feb4\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF\

worth a shot if you don't mind reinstalling windows if everything goes sideways.

Attached: 2019-02-11 00_08_29-Clipboard.png (1385x460, 84K)

my laptop screen goes blue or gets ugly lines and freezes unless I'm physically holding the screen and pulling its left side towards me. Is this fixable or I may as well get a new one?

it's fucked

pic related

Attached: unnamed.jpg (4032x3024, 3.15M)

hey don’t listen to
you likely need a new display cable. those are easy to replace. youtube it

fan bearings wear out, maybe try lmsensors or something and figure out if the Fan speed is reasonable

or even re-seating the current

on Unix, is ZFS just an inside joke, a marketing ruse, or actually usable?
Should users remain with robust trusty UFS?

What's the best place to buy a domain

namecheap. avoid kikedaddy. they do shady shit

I was about the recommend namecheap too. despite the ghetto company name.

what do you mean “ghetto” ? I hate it when people use that term
>t. black male

heeeeavy fuckin risk

I'd like to know this too. My understanding is that ZFS uses COW to avoid the write hole that enterprise previously only used BBWC to fix (with really expensive RAID adapters). I've never had a use case for it. Now the second I get past need RAID1 I put in a storage appliance. I've played with BTRFS and it works but it's not battle hardened like ZFS from what I've read.

I mean that sadly company name is part of the branding and "NameCheap" requires some extra convincing that they're high quality and professional.

as far as I understand, it also needs special RAM with an Error-Correcting Code feature in order to make sense as the 'stable' solution?
arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1235679&p=26303271#p26303271

Why does KDE's System Monitor show me "x of 6.8 GiB" when my laptop has 8 GiB RAM?

I'm trying to shrink my HDD volume to make room for a partition but apparently there's an unmovable file that doesn't let me shrink beyond 3MB even though I have like 300GB of free space.

Any way I can detect which file is it in order to delete it?

Here’s a really stupid one:

If I’m building a Samba server to create a network drive for the other users on my network, do the windows machines need to be Pro edition? Or will the Win10 home machines be able to access the the drive normally?

It’s fun. People meme that you have to work hrder but it’s actually a lot of fun and you actually feel like you’re using a computer like the good old days, where windows now feels like the school library computers that had everything locked down.

It’s the thrill of pure risk.

>not building your own router and covering your walls in Unifi WAPs

It’s like you’ve never even been here before.

will upgrading my OS from 8.1 to 10 fuck up all my game/mod installs?

It’s retarded for home systems because it is not expandable; it uses a tremendous amount of memory, and it’s difficult to install correctly.

The latter two aren’t really big deals but if you wanted to increase your storage capacity you’ll need to rebuild the entire array from scratch. Why fucking bother. Why would I set up a ZFS when the only way it’s gonna last for more than 2 years is to buy 12 drives upfront

Great for enterprise tho.

Namecheap or SiteGround

Nigger is triggered

It’s probably a ruined sector. I get these with older SSDs. Try using some tool to wipe it a trillion times (after backing up data), or just get a new one. I’ve tossed a couple drives for this exact issue.

Finally the OP isn't pedoshit.
Bros, should we revive /odg/?

Is there any simple way to watch webms on an iPad/iPhone?
My friend sends me webms but I can't play them.

Gotta buy a $4 app

Thanks for telling me the app. I appreciate it.

I'm a long time KDE user moving to a distro (Void) which doesn't offer KDE as a supported DE. Will I be happy with LXQt?

I've seen guys installing ZFS on 512mb Raspberry Pi

I'm a brainlet sysadmin at a school.
We have an old domain/webserver "school.somewhere.org", but we've changed to a new one a month ago, "shool.com".

The old one is still running and it's redirecting people to the new site, but how do I make the old one disappear from google search, and how do I make the new one appear there?
Any ideas?

Attached: 1525818534622.jpg (1200x675, 86K)

Why the fuck does this cuntknuckle integrated GPU keep throttling itself to death, and how the fuck do I turn it off? CPU was routinely dropping to 900MHz till I turned off speedstep, but I can't find a way to make this stop.

Attached: df;lkasdl;.jpg (661x821, 155K)

newb question
what can you do with just linux kernel installed?

So why the fuck do you think it might be that I have never gotten better than h+ cell coverage in any home I've lived? I currently live literally right next to the freeway in the middle of a bunch of medium density commercial in the greater los angeles area.

I'm working on some computational modeling of the heart. For some of the software I need to use, I need to do ~things~ that's above my level of experience. I'm wondering if you anons could translate what I need to do to get this stuff working. I just installed kubuntu as a dual boot on my laptop, got that running and am learning the ropes. For some background, I have 0 experience with linux. Most of my programming is in MATLAB (I know it's not real programming), some in python, all in windows.

github.com/LLNL/cardioid/tree/elec-fem
See pic related.
I have questions about almost everything... under requirements it needs C99, C++, OpenMP... a perl installation, MFEM...

How do I install these? Also, god help me with using Spack to compile the thing.

I need other software as well but I'm not quite that far yet.

Attached: helpme.png (1221x1200, 180K)

I want to make games but was also interested in making my own engine.Partly for fun but also I guess it is an ego thing.How time consuming can i expoect something like enginedevving be?

I have an Rtx 2070 I'm trying to connect to a dvi monitor, I bought a male/male hdmi to dvi cable but it's not working, did I buy the wrong cable or some shit?

Hello, drooling retard here. How do I organize the disgusting mess of images and videos on my PC?

Attached: EnragedSpecificArgali-size_restricted.gif (451x250, 2.04M)

Im going down the Vim rabbit hole...

...Have I fallen for a meme?

yes welcome

Just type in ‘webms’ in s search you fucking monkey.

Once you fall down, you're not getting up. Soon you'll be using Vim Vixen in Firefox, and only use programs with vim-like controls, like ranger.

Days ago I saw some user posting without backing up claims that Windows 7 was faster for DX11 titles than Windows 10.

Any truth to that?

is there a software that can disable the battery of a laptop or at least the charging so it uses only the power from the charger? (battery is non-removable)

Should I get the following?
Dell Precision T3610
Intel Xeon E5 1650 V2 – 3,5GHz
16GB DDR3 1600MHz ECC
256GB SSD
685W

For ~ 476 euros

Bump :(

I just bought a new external HDD.
A maxtor 2TB 2.5inch. It was really cheap that's why I got it.

I noticed the SMART seek error rate value is getting bigger by use. I don't think warranty covers this. Overall SMART health is perfect many programs say..

I won't use it for heavy use, just for storage. Should I be worried?

I would aim for dual cpu machine with that kind of money.

HP Z600/800, Lenovo D20 and so on.

Before buying do research about board revision and possible firmware issues with non oem hardware options like gpus and so on.

What are those lines that go under if statements in the editor so i know which nest I am in.

I'm trying to add them to the Spyder Python editor

Is doing a Windows 10 refresh the exact same as reinstalling it or does it leave any leftovers?

Trying to look for a summer internship.
Ia it possible to apply without projects?
Also what kind of projects should I build to make me stand out? I know how to code Android apps for example, would writing some apps make me a good candidate?
I don't want to code Android apps btw, but besides basic coding principles Android and unity are like the only project based examples I know how to do.

Does anyone have a link to that pdf collection that was like 60 gb? I lost my hard-drive that had it so I need to re-download it. I believe it was called 'the guide to everything', can't find it anywhere.

Hi Jow Forums check this out.

I'm using a PS4 which is the only device in my house that has network issues/lag/and packet drops. Has been happening for a few months now. I solutions were forwarding ports and restarting router AND remove restrictions for my PS4's MAC/IP. Now here's the kicker. It's till happening and for some reason if I set a static IP on the system it won't connect so I think I'm trying to fix step 7 but skipped step 2 so my question is this:
Do I need to assign a static IP on a device if it is the only LAN connected device? The IP won't and can't change no matter what I do.

Attached: v.png (540x700, 451K)

So I have qBittorrent automatically download new episodes through RSS and save them in a specified folder. I just need to manually rename them so Kodi can recognize them. Is there a way have qBittorrent automatically download something through RSS then rename the files using regex? See pic related for an example of what I want.

Attached: 1549888171.png (958x524, 38K)

Do you mean the gentoomen library? That's only 35GB though.

Is there a reason why people disable Windows Defender these days while not using any other anti-malware/virus solution

>gentoomen library
No but I will download this regardless, it had pdf's for literally everything you could think of.

bump

needs not apply, I'm not looking for a router nor wireless AP. I need a fucking LTE modem, because there's no other connection available where I live.

I was wondering about that too since I use 7. I looked it up and there isn't that much of a difference when it comes to games if you compare 7, 8.1 and 10. This game runs slightly better on 10 that other game runs slightly better on 7, etc.

I started Microsoft Word and my computer made 3 or 4 weird beeps
should I be worried?

Is noscript captcha working for you? I always get a generic error

Why is this popping up and how do I fix this?

Attached: Screenshot_2019-02-11-17-00-31.png (645x524, 59K)

it's because there's data 3MB from the end of the disk which is currently in use and can't be moved (for example, the page file)
just boot up a linux livecd, something with gparted available, such as systemrescuecd, open gparted, select your disk from the top right drop-down menu, then resize the partition from there
being outside of windows, nothing on the partition will be in use, and you can resize as much as you want. data will be moved out of the way automatically if need be (may cause fragmentation)

there's a big gap between "kde" and "a qt-based de"
lxqt is based on qt, but it doesn't use kdelibs or any other kde stuff, it won't feel familiar at all outside of using the same qt theme