WHY is this only available for Linux?

Bravefag here. I loved the browser before, but shit like the new whitelist finding
bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/facebook-twitter-trackers-whitelisted-by-brave-browser/
are putting me off from wanting to use it. Firefox has its own trust issues (which are arguably even worse), and Icecat looks to be the patrician choice. However, it's only for Linux. Why can't we have nice things?
>inb4 install gentoo
I'm in a situation where I can't just install Linux, as much as I'd really like to.

Attached: icecat.png (650x650, 177K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/muslayev/icecat-win64
github.com/intika/Librefox
spyware.neocities.org/articles/icecat.html
gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/)
spyware.neocities.org/guides/firefox.html
spyware.neocities.org/articles/firefox.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

github.com/muslayev/icecat-win64
Also firefox that you configure properly in about:config is better since it allows you to blend in with the crowd of other firefox users.

>2020 - 1
>not running VM to browse the web
shiggydiggy

github.com/intika/Librefox

Attached: good_pussy.jpg (525x608, 58K)

>WHY is this only available for Linux?
The official reasoning is that Windows builds would require non-free software to compile.

Mac?
Also, everyone's about:config privacy list is different and I highly doubt everyone's found everything. Plus with how often Firefox changes and with some of the shady shit they've done behind users' backs, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd silently change/revert about:config variables/values.

>I wouldn't be surprised if they'd silently change/revert about:config variables/values.
They do. That's why you use a user.js to enforce your tweaks on each start-up.

>The official reasoning is that Windows builds would require non-free software to compile.
small brane Stallman cant code for .Net

You should be able to just build from source on macOS.

>Why can't we have nice things?
Brave is an ad company. They make money by selling ads. Why the fuck are you surprised that they betrayed you and violated your privacy? This is literally the fundamental business model of every ad company.

Attached: 1526935462332.jpg (926x773, 169K)

>That's why you use a user.js to enforce your tweaks on each start-up.
this is getting out of hand. Why the fuck do we have to go through countless little 'mother may I' steps just to fucking BROWSE?

Can confirm, I've done that.

How hard was it to do? Am considering doing it myself.

>trusts icecat but not Mozilla
read up on the actual differences between Firefox and icecat
(hint: it's almost nothing)

So you're saying this user is wrong?

Yes. Straight from the icecat site (gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/)
The only differences are
>While the Firefox source code from the Mozilla project is free software, they distribute and recommend non-free software as plug-ins and addons. Also their trademark license imposes requirements for the distribution of modified versions that make it inconvenient to exercise freedom 3.
So icecat removes the option to enable non free plugins (not shipped with the browser) and they remove branding. It also comes packaged with some addons by default, but that's pretty much all the changes between icecat and Firefox.

Just use firefox and follow this guide, it's not rocket science.

You sure that's 100% comprehensive? You sure it won't fall victim to the concerns outlined in

>Why the fuck do we have to go through countless little 'mother may I' steps just to fucking BROWSE?
Because the web isn't about browsing anymore.

That being said, using a user.js isn't bad at all. It allows you to keep track of any about:config changes and allows you to apply all your old changes to a new installation.

No. He's just comparing browsers in their default state.

is there a way to export my current about:config to a user.js file?

The guide tells you to use a user.js file so your changes can't be reverted, also makes things easier to copy to other computers. As far as "not finding everything" at least there isn't any unsolicited connections after making these changes.

No, if he was doing that, then he honestly looked at
spyware.neocities.org/articles/firefox.html
and
and came to the conclusion "it's almost nothing"

> WHY is this only available for Linux?
Maybe because you don't create and maintain a Windows port.

Someone has to, apparently you're the one that cares most, do it?

> I'm in a situation where I can't just install Linux, as much as I'd really like to.
Then get another cheap computer and install Linux there.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, and keep them coming. For now, I just decided to do this. Looking at compiling Icecat or Ungoogled-Chromium or installing Iridium in the future, especially if this gets any worse, and definitely plan to use Icecat full-time when I get into a position to have Linux as daily driver.

Attached: blacklist.png (332x233, 13K)

I do this and then half sites I use didn't work. Fuck that muh privacy shit

compile it yourself, duh
the source is publicly available

3 percent of user isn't a crowd. This make us very easy target.
Would be nice to have an addon to fool tracker into seeing fox as chrome.

Can you use Icecat in Windows through WSL?

Attached: Kanel_1531095388.png (567x948, 193K)

why not just use Waterfox?

it doesnt matter what browser you use on windows/osx since you are already fucked

this
also, fuck hiroshimoot and fuck jannies

Attached: Screenshot_2019-02-10-23-16-15.png (480x854, 87K)

the cat (?) looks more dead than asleep. unpleasant icon

kys retard. fucking winfags are so dumb.

why use Waterfox?

This. Why the fuck would a wintoddler be concerned with privacy?

are you insane?
you have no idea what you are talking about.
the changes to the source are on the same level as tor browser.

Attached: 4cc69645429e4b86fda29a4b5c0e4276f80f441c7562948059071254428a271a.jpg (420x315, 27K)

FSF doesn't provide you windows binaries for icecat because you need Visual Studio to compile any recent and semi-recent firefox and FSF ain't gonna touch that.
You can download the source and compile it yourself on your windows PC. Instructions on how to compile firefox on Windows is available from Mozilla.