Your first operating system

why did people hate this? it was basically windows 98

Attached: winme-scr-00.jpg (540x400, 22K)

>buggy pos
>start of the downfall

In theory Windows Me had pre-emptive multitasking, which should have made it more stable. It didn't.

We were all laughing from the co-operative camp, somewhat saddened about our inferior underlying architecture but thoroughly enjoying our superior UI and stability.

Attached: macos81about.png (640x480, 15K)

Windows 95

Attached: Windows_95_Desktop_screenshot.png (640x480, 4K)

Same, absolutely hated the lockups on that piece of shit.

it pretty much couldn't reach 24 hour uptime without massive slowdowns or crashes

My first computer around 2000 had DOS probably and one time my friend by accident create folder? with some program inside and then we were thinking that when we create folder with name for example GTA V, GTA V will be on my computer and we can play.

>explorer using IE framework
>crashes like IE
>memory leaks EVERYWHERE
>got a file bigger than 4GB? nuthin personel kid

How the fuck do downies find this place? Does your care facility know you're here?

Because Windows 2000 came out earlier and was superior all around because of it being built on NT code-base rather than the shitfest that 9x was.

zoomzoom

Attached: 300px-Windows_Vista.png (300x224, 79K)

debian on an old thinkpad since my based dad GNUpilled me at age 8

Mine was 98. The original, not SE. That thing was not 98.

Windows 3.1.

Attached: 1535115575778.png (300x224, 16K)

It was a pointless stopgap for people impatiently awaiting a newer version of Windows, and was bloated, buggy, and unstable.
My earliest attempts to switch entirely over to Linux mainly came from frustration with WinME.

Apple dos 3.2.
gulp.

>why the hate

no true DOS game compatibility

I dont remember if it was good for Win98 games

I had windows me for a bit. All i remember are problems. Windows 98 i dont remember as much problems but its hard to remember back that far.

It was basically 98, but with more bloat and a mess mixing 9x-style and NT-style drivers that caused the memetic crashes. There was little reason to upgrade from 98.

Should have released on the NT kernel. They were developing it (Windows Neptune) but panicked at the last minute and shat this out instead. It was buggy and unstable, wouldnt run native dos (the main point of using the 9x kernel), and the drivers made a already terrible situation worse.

Attached: o5A5hTu.png (1036x706, 312K)

Windows98

Can't believe I paid actual money for this. At least it got me on the linux hype train early on.

my first own os was dos 5.0 on a 286 machine (i later installed win 3.1 on top of it)

winme was a fucking desaster. my parents got me a new pc in 2001 with me preinstalled and it was unbearable. the soundcard driver needed to be reinstalled after literally every reboot, it was unstable ... drove me right into the hands of redhat.

Workbench 3.1

win3 wasn't os

Attached: dossishotti3.png (1024x768, 24K)

It was so beautiful.

I didn't have a sound card back in those times and I played so many games with no sound. I remember the feeling of jelly whenever I saw someone had the SB software. :)

Windows 2000! One of the best versions of Windows so far! :)

Attached: DlGbaXvWwAA4kVC.jpg_large.jpg (2044x1520, 197K)

windows 9x was shit.

windows 2000 couldn't run shit

>turn on computer
>username/password box for authentication pops up
>uh oh i don't know (insert family member's name)'s password
>just hit the cancel button
>logged in
yeah windows 2000 was great

For me, it was DOS with Windows 3.1 added.
I would only use Windows to play with color schemes. DOS was where the best games lived, and WordPerfect which I used to type lists of things. Like one file was every first name I could think of in alphabetical order for example

Windows 10

Nope. This is W9x

active desktop was kinda cool though

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Windows 9x, is in fact, DOS/Windows 9x, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, DOS plus Windows 9x. Windows is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another proprietary component of a fully functioning DOS system made useful by the DOS corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS.
Many computer users run a modified version of the DOS system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of DOS which is widely used today is often called “Windows 9x”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the DOS system, developed by the Microsoft. There really is a Windows, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Windows is the graphical user interface: the program that draws windows, and shares computer resources between programs. The user interface is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Windows is normally used in combination with the DOS operating system: the whole system is basically DOS with Windows added, or DOS/Windows 9x.

Attached: 323.jpg (480x360, 11K)

I didn't hate her, I used her right up to after XP SP2 was released.

Attached: 66677996_p0.jpg (1062x1500, 631K)

I can remember my dad going down to Staples and buying g one so my sister could have shitty 8bit sound on her hello Kitty game.

yeah Win2000 logging in screen actually prevented you from using the computer unless you knew the password

it could be hacked with a cdrom boot into Win2000 installer but whatever, its not like everyone had access to the boot sequence of office computers

I didn't hate it at the time, but thinking back, it crashed a lot.

MS DOS and floppy disks