Why is that trash still a global standard in 2019?

Why is that trash still a global standard in 2019?

Attached: fat32-coverter.jpg (300x228, 16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/fileio/naming-a-file#maximum-path-length-limitation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EFI_system_partition
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Jews

Why is the NTFS pathname character limit so short?

It is?

Because it's so fucking compatible. Literally everything out there can read/write it.

Hey, I'd love to see more widespread support for EXT2, but Microsoft doesn't want to.

Unfortunately that trash is is the only FS that works on all Linux, BSD, Windows, MacOS and Android.
Sucks, I know :/

Microsoft influence, I'd say. It's why it's even used for UEFI. Same as why UEFI exists, really.

Eh, ext2-4 and others also work on all of these, no? [The Windows users would have to install an ext driver thing... so what?]

Also, NTFS does also work on all of these, I think.

I too had my entire life ruined by fat32

ext2/4 works on android only if you root it and mount it from a terminal afaik, good luck getting ext mounted automatically on mom's device.
ext2 works on windows but ext4 is read only.
And I'm not sure if NTFS on non-windows systems is reliable, (I mean, isn't even reliable on windows lol), few weeks ago I backup up some files from Gnu/linux to NTFS and opened on windows and windows wouldn't show the files I thought I had lost everything, lucky it worked when I open it again on Gnu/linux and then worked on windows.

>ext2/4 works on android only if [...]
They're pretty much always what Android runs on, unless it's already f2fs or such. Even then, it usually hasn't lost the capability to use ext.

> ext2 works on windows but ext4 is read only
I'm pretty sure it had write support, and the issues would have been worked out a long time ago if, for example, it had been the filesystem for UEFI instead of FAT32. Or if Microsoft cared.

> And I'm not sure if NTFS on non-windows systems is reliable,
Works just fine on Linux, also fine on BSD from what I can tell from briefer use. OSX should also be supported, but I don't use that.

> I backup up some files from Gnu/linux to NTFS and opened on windows and windows wouldn't show the files I thought I had lost everything,
No such issue here, ever. Maybe Windows was just waiting on an AV scan or some crap - who knows what that thing does at any given time.

>the only
exFAT? at least it got no shitty 4GB file transfer limit

exFAT has compatiblity problems when not used on Windows 7+ or modern Linux kernels

basically everything else will give strange errors

FAT32 will work errytime

ITT: amerifats

who the hell still uses anything older than Win7 and WHY? also there are official updates from ms for both xp and vista to support exFAT

Microsoft sues anyone that supports exFAT without paying them because they have patents on exFAT, thats why no one uses exFAT

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

>exFAT is a proprietary file system and Microsoft has not released a specification for it. This lack of documentation hampered the development of free and open-source drivers for exFAT. Accordingly, exFAT support was effectively limited to Microsoft's own products and those of Microsoft's licensees, which in turn inhibited exFAT's adoption as a universal exchange format.

Microsoft needs to support f2fs.

Because it werks with everything

That feel when a filesystem name describes your life

At least your not double fat

And the GPL'd FUSE module for exfat is quite good, stable and used even in professional environments since ages.
Score +1 for the good guys.

>mac needs dos to boot

Attached: 1548121560255.jpg (811x939, 61K)

>and WHY
because C: is not 20gBs

The NTFS character limit is actually about 2^16-1 but it's artificially limited to 260 characters by the windows API because MS is retarded. Apparently they finally removed the limit in Windows 10 version 1607.
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/fileio/naming-a-file#maximum-path-length-limitation

>Works just fine on Linux, also fine on BSD from what I can tell from briefer use.
About a year ago, I deleted a file from an NTFS partition mounted on Linux and the file did disappear but the amount of free space did not increase. Had to run chkdsk to fix it.

It's part of the standard, stupid nigger.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EFI_system_partition
>The EFI system partition needs to be formatted with a file system whose specification is based on the FAT file system and maintained as part of the UEFI specification

opensuse should support f2fs too

Assuming this was some distro-specific bug or maybe even something on your hardware, it might arguably still count as "works just fine on Linux" overall. It's not like nobody who's running Windows ever had to use chkdsk.

With that logic you can just install drivers for any filesystem and call it compatible

Well yes, that's the actual logic behind me having various filesystem drivers: I installed them.

But the drivers need to actually exist. You are not going to have much luck with bcachefs or f2fs on anything but Linux and Android, I think.

>it's so fucking compatible
not with files bigger than 4GB

ITT those who think everything new must be better
v's those who think who gives a toss the op is a retard

macOS doesn't even use the EFI partition to boot, it's empty by default unless there's a pending firmware update.

There are readily available drivers for many microcontrollers to interact with SD cards. Is there a convenient way to replace FatFS with another, better file system?

exFAT has replaced FAT32 for flash drives, as it has the same widespread compatibility, without the file limit.

>it has the same widespread compatibility
no, not even close
even ntfs has more widespread compatibility

it works on Android, Linux, and Windows. What the fuck else it need to work on, Ivan?

Car radios, TVs, hi-fi, routers, ...
Devices that actually need USB, because they don't always have network access or internal storage.

So all use cases that don't need files bigger than 4GB to begin with.

Never claimed otherwise. The contention was regarding widespread compatibility. And exFAT is just not as widespread.

Also, TVs do need files bigger than 4GB. Most "1080p" movies are bigger than that.

>Microshit

fair enough. But re: TVs, it's pretty easy to set up a RasPi as a Plex Media Server plugged in to the TV. Granted that's beyond the scope of the typical normie.

It's a part of planned obsolescence conspiracy against SD cards.

Microcontrollers. For example digital cameras, 3D printers, sensors, health devices, etc.

it's free real estate.

Why would you expect it to be contained to a particular region?

I used to be FAT32 but now I am FAT53