Written in JavaScript

>written in JavaScript
>Systemd dependency
>Retarded Devs
>Retarded tablet UI
>No systemtray by default
>1.5GB ram on idle
Into the trash it goes

Attached: gnome_fig_1.png (800x596, 398K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2019-02/msg00053.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>1.5GB ram on idle
seriously?

gentoo has systemdless gnome3 port

Really? On the handbook it said gnome needed systemd.

in 2019 why would you willingly use Firefox knowing what we know about mozilla

Indeed. I simply can't understand why most Linux distros and users would choose to use that piece of shit. Especially when KDE exists and is better at strictly everything.

DantrellB overlay

If it's written in javascript I don't doubt it...

I'm at 1.4G on a brand new arch install

I wanted to only use a WM but I just cba to deal with bluetooth, batteries, wifi, display positioning, keyboards, etc, etc. without a DE that takes care of it.

>buy x86 windows tablet
>install gnu/linux on it
>usually use xfce but heard great things about gnome tablet support
>tablet support is trash, not to talk about laggy
>tablet has 2GB of ram, gnome uses more than half of it
>kde actually uses less ram but also trash
>fall back to good old xfce
>rice it so it's tablet friendly
>literally much better both in terms of usability and performance than gnome trash
Seriously, why do distros ship that piece of shit as default DE? Shit like gnome and kde is that gives gnu/linux a bad name.

Lets be honest. All Linux DE's are trash.

Yeah, but awesome or openbox isn't exactly the best desktop experience to use in a tablet, when it comes to clickable bottoms xfce and lxde are objectively the best. Unless I'm missing something.

>tablet UI
it's not but is not realistically usable as intended

why? there's xfce and i3, and enlightenment and sway

>great things about gnome tablet support
[citation needed]

Fuck your shitty WMs and use DWM

>openbox
there's no point in using it when there's i3 unless you really need a desktop look

And yet still better than wangblows and macshit

It's either Mozilla or the Google botnet. I for one choose Mozilla.

It's those things I heard somewhere but can't remember when.
I can't into tiling, I've tried to use it before but seems wasteful for me since it only uses 2 dimensions instead of 3, I always have a ton of things open and messy desktop is easier for me

>tiling
who says anything about tiling

>and use DWM
why would i use a poc demo that's not even awesome?

workspace_layout tabbed
hide_edge_borders smart

I don't like Gnome and don't use it but this is a lie.

A vanilla Gnome on Gentoo takes 300MB ram. Either he is trolling or uses outdated Gnome which still has memory leaks.

It's all the botnet, lets all start using the links browser and simply not use websites that don't work on links.
Stacking is unpractical too, idk I don't really remember, one of these days I'm going to give stacking another try.
I have many things open, MANY things open, tabbing wouldn't work for me.
My system idle with awesome uses about 100MB of ram

So what do we know about Mozilla?
We know they steal data from brainlets like you but we also know they give specific instructions how to disable every single botnet feature.

Every company should be like Mozilla just huge brainlet filters.Punish idiots and reward intelligence.

>gets 10fps on integrated graphics when trying to open the app menu
Yup, (((GNOME))) is trash. It's literally more difficult to run GNOME than a 10yo videogame.

you have 10 virtual desktops

If awesome actually uses 100MB then awesome must be written beyond terribly. awesome is a wm without compositor. Gnome is a full de including compositor but only takes 200MB more.

i tried gnome recently again, applications grid showed up visibly faster, but the whole de is still as slow/sluggish

>Gnome is a full de including compositor but only takes 200MB more.

Attached: 1548547846648s.jpg (125x93, 2K)

Yeah but I'm just messy, I like for example to know that my chat program is buried behind all the other windows somewhere at the right or left botton or top of the screen and that's how I find the windows, I guess it's a matter of methodology (or lack of).
No, 100MB I mean the whole system including kernel, Xorg and whatnots

You do know that's pretty lightweight ? 300MB for a full de with compositor and extension system is very good actually. And I literally hate gnome. Even Plasma has worse memory management

that's because you haven't started anything
run a few gnome apps and tell me then how good it's management is when it keeps hogging mem for who knows what reason and instead of releasing it, it starts swapping when you start another app you need

Even on a high end desktop it feels slow. And unfortunately when normies hear about Linux the go-to for them to try is always Ubuntu so in addition to their normal applications not working on it it’s a slow and laggy experience, so they reinstall Windows and call it a day.

That being said, Linux is mostly trash for unemployed weaboos anyway.

It's also a fucking foot.

With recent updates Gnome became pretty smooth on my 2007 potato PC, I would even say usable, which is very very strange and not typical for Gnome at all. It also started working again with nvidia 340xx drivers.
Memory consumption: pic rel is the lowest I could get. I had to remove some shit like evolution, tracker-miners, etc (yet some shit is still running in the background). On default it was taking about 1.2GiB.
Half of the gig is not bad at all, however any WM still beats the shit out of any DE Linux has while taking several times less of RAM.

Attached: 11_Feb_2019_20:11:37.png (1366x768, 713K)

Kde uses 400mb at idle and handles all that

>On default it was taking about 1.2GiB.
prob because you're using an older rel, they made gdm kill itself in the latest ones

>written in JavaScript
mostly written on C, I know your mind has never thought of this but projects are usually written in different languages
>Systemd dependency
open source dependency of open source software, wow
>Retarded Devs
yes, this annoys me everytime I'm using my computer. I literally cannot use something if it's made by someone I don't like
>Retarded tablet UI
who the fuck uses the mouse to open apps? are you senile? This is used with the keyboard, mouse is for open programs
>No systemtray by default
I don't know what systemtray is or does sorry
>1.5GB ram on idle
lie, 150~MB. you know gnome is not just the GUI right? the GUI you're referring to as gnome is actually gnome-shell. KDE for example uses 2 threads too and it uses 300+MB of ram just for the fucking GUI, now you have kshit, konsole, klogin and finally krashing to use 2GB at idle. Just like gnome uses tracker if enabled for file indexing, or like any desktop environment that uses backends for applications. Mine runs on 500MB in Debian and 600MB in fedora.
kys retard and learn to use a window manager with the keyboard. A nice kid toy is dwm or bpswm for when you are ready to remove the training wheels and use gnome-shell

t. Gnome dev

Antifoxxers btfo.

I like Gnome and KDE both, but KDE just kinda feels like ... I dunno, Desktop by Fisher Price or something.

>mostly written on C
why do you tell lies
>open source dependency of open source software
only worse open source software that's been plaguing the community
>who the fuck uses the mouse to open apps?
why is the option there if it's so retarded ?
>I don't know what systemtray is or does sorry
neither do the devs, and you're all retarded, it's a notification area
>inb4 notifications don't matter

Attached: ss.png (984x69, 7K)

yeah, no
gnome takes 202 mb (shell) + 71 mb (gdm) idle for me

google "gnome memory leak"
they keep fixing it... it never goes away.

>hurrr dur just because
he's right you know. As much as I like kde Mac appearance and shit, it runs like absolute garbage and uses more resources. GNOME is the best full fledged desktop

>hurrr dur
yeh? when does it free mem it's using (for what?) to give priority to shit you (not gonme) are using?

are you having a stroke writing that?
of course less memory fingerprint is better, especially if you use like, a computer.
And I don't care if you use it, it still is the most maintained desktop, is not going anywhere. You can enjoy your broken Linux experience alone with your sperglord arch friends

could you try to reply with at least a semi connection to my point when you quote me? are all gnometards disabled?

360 Mb

Attached: gnome.png (1145x648, 124K)

>are all gnometards disabled?
They wouldn't be using gnome if they weren't.

>Linux is mostly trash for unemployed weaboos anyway.
Every OS other than ChromeOS is.

now say that without crying

KDE, being fisher price? I think you got it confused with Gnome, the one with the simple applications, the Win8-like Activities menu, and so on. KDE is more on the complicated and deeply configurable side.

>only worse open source software that's been plaguing the community
>Systemd dependency
>even though Gnome works on Gentoo, Void Linux, and GNU Guix without needing systemd
I mean, I hate Gnome, but mostly because it's less customizable and the definition of molasses. It's not as dependable on systemd as you like to think.

>*memory leaks*
hehe nothing personel, kiddo

Attached: 1548616802958.jpg (799x768, 84K)

Yeah, GNOME lags a lot, for what seems to be no good reason. It's quite annoying to have a higer-end PC, and then laggity lag lag.

>IT DOESN'T REQUIRE SYSTEMD
>Look there is an obscure fork maintained by one person outside of the official development team that proves my point
Admit it, the Gnome devs are forcing SystemD on people unnecessarily.

red pill me on GNU Guix

>lag
Works flawlessly on Fedora.
Upgrade your shit, or tinker with your video drivers.

>Look there is an obscure fork maintained by one person outside of the official development team that proves my point
>I mentioned 3 fucking projects that don't have to deal with systemd

The problem with Gnome is more that there's a version that's compiled against systemd, rather than being completely agnostic. Gnome can be compiled to not depend on systemd, and the rest of its problems tend to be satisfied with elogind anyways, which might as well be a library when it doesn't depend on systemd. However, there is indded a problem with a compiled dependence, in that it's a pain to move from systemd on systemd distros, but not that Gnome itself is impossible to work without systemd, if it's compiled differently..

if you aren't using a systemd distro you already are running an obscure fork of a real distro. The only distro without systemd that isn't completely irrelevant by now is gentoo, for fucks sake, and even it recommends systemd for most of the shit.
If you are so leet you want to use gnome without systemd to be more haxor, while you can't even read code to check forks, you are missing the point of avoiding systemd because you want to be spoonfeeded.
systemd is a godsend if you don't want to be writing bash scripts for the fucking init, or stoping and starting them in the fly, if you don't want that I guess you at least are smart enough to fork gnome by yourself so it doesn't uses systemd.
Or more like, in the first place insufferable contrarian faggots like you don't use gnome because it works.
Nobody is forcing you because all this projects are open source, for starters nobody is forcing you because that would be illegal. Is like arguing car manufacturers are forcing me to go in the bus against my will, because I don't have money for a car.
Got me to reply with your NPC opinion. Whenever there is contrarian faggots who think they are hackers there's the "forced to use x because it's hard to not use it" meme. Grow up retard

Well, it's free software only, so that's a problem with it...

OK, the good things is the fact it's what happens when you mix in the inital ambitions of GNU (tons of cool lispy shit on top of unix, with a lispy tcl-like language) alongside the functional stateless nature of Nix. Imagine a single config file that could change anything about the system, like the accounts, packages installed, partitions, blah blah blah, and it all being based on a variation of Scheme rather than a unique functional config language.

Admittedly, I'm not the best one to ask about the OS, since I only used it for a bit and I'm at best a newbie on Guix SD.

>The only distro without systemd that isn't completely irrelevant by now is gentoo, for fucks sake, and even it recommends systemd for most of the shit.
Why do you go on the internet and tell lies.

Attached: 1548672407114.png (218x345, 99K)

lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2019-02/msg00053.html

Attached: 1538814791554s.jpg (250x245, 10K)

>even it recommends systemd for most of the shit.

That's the worst part about the lies, Gentoo loves its OpenRC to death to recommend systemd.

>slackware, void
lol, truly an industry standard

KDE doesn't have this problem

Attached: huuuurrrr.png (717x552, 26K)

Yeah, I was referring more to the
>and even it recommends systemd for most of the shit.
part.
Far as I'm concerned, Gentoo is the only relevant distro, period.

Attached: 1535206626361.jpg (326x273, 19K)

>Imagine a single config file
that can't be good can it
and what about the freedesktop standards

Ram usage is not that high. Stop shilling fud.

now at 104 mb :^)

I use Gentoo and I know for a fact you're full of shit.
You will never find popular support for SystemD on the Gentoo forums, the wiki, the IRC, or under Michał Górny's boot. Where you could even come up with the idea that anyone on that side of Linux recommends systemD for anything beyond extermination is beyond me.

Mostly relates to /etc.

I think there might be a few other config files too, but it's mostly a single one, still text based though. The idea though is that there is less files to manage, and they have the benefits of using functional programming to handle the configuration. It's a bit difficult to explain.

install Ratpoison

Attached: ratpoison.png (180x197, 38K)

it must suck, that rat looks alive

Post ram usage for entire DE bucko

4U

Attached: sup.png (1280x800, 496K)

>autism

Are you trying to go blind form such shit fonts?

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-02-11 23-01-54.png (1208x786, 118K)

Wait, Gnome is written in JavaScript? What fucking retard thought that would be a good idea?

How much total system ram? Linux scales ram use pretty well. My 1gb memory system uses way less than my 16gb system. Both running the same stock fresh image.

Part of it, I think it relates many parts of the Gnome Shell itself, ehhh?

>but the whole de is still as slow/sluggish
couldn't this be a gtk issue tho? i'm constantly jumping between xfce and kde and kde just feels snappier

no it's just gnome

firefox uses less memory than webkit and chrome.
there is no choice in that regard

keep your 1998 desktop

if gnome is so bad why is every serious linux company (IBM, suse, canonical) betting on it? i'm honestly sure it's because qt's mess of licensing

>suse

lol

But seriously, isn't KDE their main desktop?

>It's all the botnet, lets all start using the links browser and simply not use websites that don't work on links.
I did that for three months before I got a job that requires me to log into their website daily. It's a somewhat temporary job though and I'd like to go back.

>400
you mean 200?

What is this basic bitch Pajeet UI?

I fucking hate Gnome. It killed Ubuntu for me.

??

Personally, I'd use SUSE with KDE. But I'm neet, so I don't need support
QT is lgpl, no problems here.

>qt's mess of licensing
lol this is twenty year old fud

gnome is great after you learn how to use your keyboard

I used to use Ubuntu Unity. I thought to myself, "This isn't very good, but at least it's miles better than Gnome." THEN THEY FUCKING SWITCH TO GNOME.

Of course they switched to Gnome. When the men in trench coats show up and ask you if you want to be the next Ian Murdock you do what they tell you to do.

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-unity-desktop

For Unity to be more consistent exempt from it's few bugs it has with GNOME 3 you can install Ubuntu MATE from scratch which uses GNOME 2 and install Unity over that.

Attached: 4c01a0d0e16c5752b17d8568acef56e2.jpg (235x314, 11K)