/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: FreeBSDontheright.jpg (736x910, 69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/open.html
typescriptlang.org/
pcpartpicker.com/list/ptLfLJ
dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/new-dell-g7-15-gaming/spd/g-series-15-7590-laptop/GNvcb5ch7021h
support.dlink.com/ProductInfo.aspx?m=DWA-182
social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/b27c7506-812a-487b-91a2-44774e6fcc3e/restrict-downloads-for-users-using-gpo?forum=winserverGP
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

VPNs are for sissies

Attached: 1548003785416.jpg (735x727, 53K)

will I have issues if I encrypt the entire drive that verycrypt is installed on? it is not my boot drive.
I've encrypted other drives, but they aren't accessible during the process so I'm wondering if the program is just loaded into ram for the time being

I wouldn't use Veracrypt for boot drive encryption. That task seems much better suited to LUKS/dm-crypt

it's not my boot, just an extra hdd I hooked up.
any reason why you recommend dm-crypt for the boot though?

Mainly because I had no idea that boot drive encryption with vera was even possible. Also, dm-crypt is the standard encryption for systems running on the Linux kernel, and is the type that is used in Linux GUI installers if they ask you whether you'd like to encrypt your hard drive, so I figure it is better suited to that task.

Why is it a bad thing again to have a lot of unplayed steam games again?

I only have 60 or so, I don’t know why you guys are attacking me about it

Attached: PNG image.png (820x720, 655K)

This is a /v/ question, but it's probably because you likely shouldn't have bought them if you're not going to play them ever.

I am going to play them I just haven’t gotten to it yet

What a dumb fucking question, even for /sqt/, had to be a weeb faggot too, what a shock.

what does a file being "open" mean exactly?

interesting, I appreciate your insight

It means its open

>non-technical
It means it's open
>slightly technical
It means the file is being accessed on your system
>autism
pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/open.html

simply put, it means a program is "connected" to that file, which may affect certain other operations (for example, you can't delete an open file on windows, and on linux, you can delete it, but it won't actually free space until the file is closed)

Is React￸O￸S an operation by the ￸Ru￸ss￸ians to find exploitable 0-day bugs in Windows?

Attached: debug_terrorism.jpg (1000x1000, 89K)

I'm running Chromium 72.0.3626.53 on Debian Testing. Any idea why looking at the banner on typescriptlang.org/ is causing insane lag?

what is the character FFF8 supposed to be?

I don't know but I use it to uncensor myself from automated tools.
For example, press Ctrl+F and type R￸us￸si￸a in your browser. It won't find it.

It's also handy for bypassing swearing filters in online forums.

Because the web is aids

If you're asking me because your are blind or visually impaired, it's an invisible character

What port is this on the end of my laptops hardrive? Can I find a way to connect it to a desktop?

You forgot the image but It's probably SATA

haha shit your right I did. You're probably right though. Do SATA adapters exist for desktops?

Attached: 20190211_224326.jpg (1448x753, 42K)

Las thread I asked how to deal with an unmoveable file while making a partition. One user sugested I could use a live CD with Gparted instead but that didn't work since the software seems to have an issue with the NTFS system file.

Since I guess asking for help with Linux based software is for the fglt I just want to know if doing a fresh instal of Windows will help with the unamovable file issue or not (specifically W7 Ultimate SP1)

nice thing about sata is that unlike ide, the 3.5" and 2.5" connectors are the same, you can plug a 2.5" laptop sata drive into a desktop directly

will a dvd-r burned at 2x last longer than burning it at 8x?
is there a difference? and if so, is that different significant?
i don't mind burning this particular stuff at low speed, but if it doesn't matter either way than i might as well save some time

My iphone says it's plugged in when it isn't
and says it isn't plugged in when it is
I didn't notice this until it had run out of battery
what do?

Unfortunately it seems my mobos sata ports don't come with enough clearance for the entire thing to fit, but will it be fine if I just leave one connection attached? Or should I buy a cable that will cover both ends?

Attached: 20190211_233833.jpg (1440x1100, 936K)

what?
the longer connector is for power, and the smaller one is for data
you need to connect both for it to work

I have a work pc, prebuilt from HP.
It has an SSD and an HDD.
SSD runs windows 10.
on the HDD i successfully installed Debian few months ago, but now I want to try Manjaro.
The computer is HP and it has HP UEFI
>pic related
I installed the Manjaro successfully, i chose full disk (the hdd so its /dev/sda/) and i chose the Master Boot Record there on /dev/sda during the install.
However, computer still boots into windows.
Not sure how to configure the legacy/secure boot setup, if this "fast boot" also plays a role etc etc.
However I changed and however it appears in HPs uefis boot menu, it doesnt boot and switches onto next bootable thing from the ordered list, hence windows.

However, when my colleague lended me his usb with some grub test tool, it showed the manjaro in its interface as a bootable system and when i clicked on it (while live booted into this test program) it showed some error in some file called "grubenv" but after that, it booted into installed manjaro.

I tried update-grub and no result.
PLS i really dont want to use windows disk anymore

Attached: c05869163.jpg (515x308, 26K)

oh ok

>downloading from chrome to drive
>transferring 183 gb between internal drives
Do I have to worry about corruption?

Anyone know how I could either block 'opera browser' from running on a user account on Windows 10, OR block it with the firewall?

The issue I've been coming across is that the user is able to download the installer and then access the internet through it.

I've tried adding a rule to the Windows firewall - but the way opera gets installed is that it gets installed to a tree of folders, where one of the folders is named after the version... so it's like:

C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local\Programs\Opera\58.0.3135.53\opera.exe or whatever. The version folder thing means if I impose a rule on the firewall today and they install a different version in the future,
the firewall rule won't be in place.

I tried one technique for blocking 'opera.exe' from opening by setting up a rule in group policies\regedit... but it uses a separate file 'launcher.exe' to then open opera.exe and that seems to allow the user to open opera even when I've successfully blocked 'opera.exe', and I wouldn't want to block 'launcher.exe' because it seems common enough filename that it might conflict with other software.

Any ideas please?

Convince me to switch to Windows 10.

Memes aside, what video format should I be downloading my anime in? Does it matter between mp4 and mkv?

Generally if someone is uploading anime in .mp4 format at this point, they don't know what they're doing - so I'd go for .mkv where available.

mp4 is basically just downloaded off kissanime or 9anime. Just managing my collection now and wondering if I should just download the .mkv. I might be retarded but I may have noticed .mp4 corrupts much easier too?

I don’t understand them at all but those are both containers. I have no clue the difference between containers and codecs and standards.

10bit h265 anime or bust

Don’t listen to other memers

Is it possible to scale 4K to 1600x900 or will it look warped or stretched?

Asking for a friend

Also all anime is made at 720p so download 1080p but know that it’s jist upscale 720. All of it

I kind of want to get a Mac for music production (and for shits and giggles). What's the best generation of Macbook to get? Is there a T420 of Macbooks?

Could someone please help me out?
It's probably a simple fix, but I need to install a driver for my wireless dongle,
I'm running fedora(which I'm unfamiliar with)

It's a DWA182C
currently running up my data trying to get it to work, please help a guy out, I just want to get my network connection working so I can upgrade and move on with my day.

>It's a fresh install
>at least it looks pretty, so far.

Thanks.

Fuck off tranny pedo faggot

That's what everybody with a backlog says and it's always a lie.

You seem angry.

AVC for high bitrate encodes (= large file size) and hw decoding support for old devices.
HEVC for low to moderate bitrate encodes (= small to moderate file size).
10-bit if you want slightly more bang for your buck.
8-bit if broad playback compatibility is a priority.
The container isn't that important for the end user (unless you're somebody who uses his browser to watch videos). MKV allows better subtitle formats though.

If you see AV1/Opus encodes then consider them experiments. Only download them if you're a hardcore freetard or want to see how your machine handles AV1.

pcpartpicker.com/list/ptLfLJ

Or

dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/new-dell-g7-15-gaming/spd/g-series-15-7590-laptop/GNvcb5ch7021h

The second one is what I'm looking for, but the first one would be more fun.

Depends on the original aspect ratio.

If you buy the laptop, you'll have to spend a lot more when you eventually upgrade.

support.dlink.com/ProductInfo.aspx?m=DWA-182
???

social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/b27c7506-812a-487b-91a2-44774e6fcc3e/restrict-downloads-for-users-using-gpo?forum=winserverGP

Okay that gives me the driver, but I am unsure how to install it.
Thanks for the reply.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-02-12 20-06-36.png (1366x768, 159K)

I'm using an LTE Modem because I live high up in the mountains and it lagged a bit, at first I thought it was related to bad reception, but then I figured only the google domains (including youtube etc) lag.

How can I troubleshoot this ?
DNS Server, whatnot ?

see where the time spikes

Attached: Untitled.png (871x693, 37K)

I don't know, is it a dependency thing?

Attached: 20190212_022608.jpg (1836x2065, 2.78M)

delay is consistent (~70ms) but it times out once

so apparently it was firefox related, I disabled all my shady plugins and not it works, so one of them may be malware I dunno

too lazy to test them one by one rn

So apparently PowerISO is in some hot water for distributing malware, according to google / Malwarebytes. Thing is I don't really know any alternatives as my old computer used an older version without the chaos.

Do I ignore the MBAM warning and jump through hoops to remove suspicious shit after install, or is there a better alternative now?

W7 by the way.

What UPS should I get? I live in an area where every other week there are power blackouts that last a second or two. Also, it's a pretty old house, nothing's properly grounded. I'm afraid that it can fuck up my PSU (and encrypted hard drive, due to the forced shutdowns when power goes away for a second), if not the entire PC.

generally it means you buy big packs of games because of just one or two of them and then you have shit games that pile up. an issue that didn't really happen when people went and bought physical games

try "imgburn"

My xfx 280x cooler is fucked and I would need to import a replacement from china (takes about 2 months). My question is: Can I built a decent diy cooling with other parts? Like a cpu cooler or something? If so, it would have to run at a constant RPM?

Attached: xfx_force_r9_280x_tdfd_radeon_r9_280x_3gb_1016373.jpg (1000x1000, 89K)

Best music player for android?

The bearings on my XFX R9 290 crapped out on me about a year ago. I bought a Morpheus II to replace it.
It's like a four slot card now but temps are excellent.

i've seen some people take out the plastic shroud on the top and replace the fans with those fancy noctua fans with i believe is a specialized locking thingy that kept the bigass fans in place on the heatsink. people usually post this exact setup on guts threads

What do people mean when they say Linux is superior for programming?

I mean, is it just better for webdev and backend type stuff that runs on *nix?

I've just finished my first project, but it was for automating tasks I windows so it was pretty convenient programming on the OS that it'll run on. Is there some advantage that makes not being able to test immediately with it?

Why is it sometimes Media Player Classic cannot play Webms and just shows a white pixelated mess? When I use VLC the video works fine.

Anyone know how to fix it?

Anyone with Roku?

Can I cast video from my phone and listen to the audio from my phone that I cast from?

That is good to read but I don't think I would go that far for my old card. At that point I might as well just buy another rx 570. I was thinking more like some used evo 212 I can easily get for 20 usd here where I live.

yeah I've seen a video with exactly my card on youtube now. I would also need to buy a fan controller to control the rpm, right? (video didn't explain shit).

it's a cope

If I'm buying a new fan does it matter where I get it from or do some sites have better/shittier fans than others?

>I would also need to buy a fan controller to control the rpm, right?
i think you could either use the header in your gpu or at least solder the wires together but i'm not sure about different loads between the original fans and the replacement ones, that you'll need some googlefu to work it out
a fan controller would make it simpler i think, those with thermal sensors and shit, but then you'll have to figure it out if the extra cost is worth it

I see. It looks like too much of a headache and expenses to save that hot ass card. Thanks, thou.

im in the market for a new router. something really powerful that lets me actually control shit in my network. currently im looking at the turris omnia or the linksys 3200acm.
im leaning towards the linksys one since its fully supported by dd-wrt but the turris omina comes with a custom version of open-wrt and dd-wrt support is in the works.
which one should i get? i also got a little rpi3b+ to run piehole on.

Attached: 1548568327666.png (870x893, 27K)

Why am I still getting fan error messages even though it blows out cool air?

PowerAMP

A wizard once told me that, regarding network appliances, everything that starts with an 'N' is snake oil...

correction: every company that starts with an 'N'

well neither of the companies that make those routers start with "N".

exactly, so you should be good with either

Just installed OpenBSD. What do now?

Set up a ZFS filesystem
OH WAIT!

Have you tried unplugging the ssd and then booting? If that works then there's something wrong with your boot order.

Like said. It’s the same with every hobby though
>/tg/ warhammer painting backlog
>/o/ project car
>Jow Forums custom loop
>/diy/ everything
The list goes on. Also, 60 games is nothing. I have a 400 game steam library and about 20 played.

now install gentoo

I'm moving to a house with Fios. Can I use my CM600 modem and R7000 router? Do I even need the modem? Also, I have a network closet with patch and switch. Does it matter how they're hooked up? For example... Fios box->Modem->router->patch->switch? Absolute brainlet so please advise.

Do Windows 7 product keys get saved to modern motherboards or is it only Windows 8 and 10?

I have this line
" Front Right: Playback 15708 [24%] [on] "
What command to pipe to in order to retrieve/select the 24% from there?

Didn't mean to quote

For whatever reason, my GPU has a bright LED which never shuts off unless you switch off the PSU. Would it be safe to just cover it with some electrical tape, or could that case damage to the LED (like by overheating)?

Attached: fucking_light.png (1376x774, 1.11M)

So I convinced my company to move from intel based laptops to AMD Ryzen based laptops (at least on the office use side, because AMD has nothing in the mobile workstation/desktop replacement category). I am sure they will work fine with Windows but what about GNU/Linux? They will have Ryzen 5 Pro 2500U processors with Vega 8 graphics. Also, was it a good move or did I fuck up?

How do I stop Firefox from using my SSD so much?

I checked how much data my SSD has written. It showed like 4TB and I only had it for like 7 months now, I thought it would be like less than 1TB. Turns out it's Firefox doing all of this.
My PC has only been running for not even four hours and it has written 12GB during that time. All I do is browse the internet: Jow Forums and youtube mostly.

how would you even see it with the case cover on?

either;
- disable disk cache, can cause increased internet usage
- put your firefox profile on a ramdisk, tools like imdisk (windows) can be used to make a persistent ramdisk which saves/restores automatically, but be warned that power loss will result in data loss

Can you still get Windows 10 for free anywhere? I didn't upgrade when they were giving it out for free but now I'm starting to wish I had.

I'll try that, thanks. You know normally this wouldn't be a problem if it were a few GBs a day because SSDs can take that nowadays but this is a bit too much.

Well...

Attached: gaymer_window.jpg (1376x774, 311K)

If I go on a website and never click the "I accept cookies" button and just continue surfing, does it make a difference?